Search Unity

Realistic Water

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by kripto289, Mar 21, 2015.

1. kripto289

kripto289

1) It is necessary to increase in proportion to the number of polygons and texture tiling/waves scale. Usually, a large area is created by projection of the grid.
    If you make a few plane with different numbers of polygons, then you can create a lod.
    2) Now I tried to glue multiple planes. At a certain angle, the edges is not correct distorted. I'm not sure what is the reason. Perhaps a more detailed meshes this problem will not be.
    If I can find a reason not correct distortion at the edges, the next update will fix it.

2. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

How hard/easy is it to apply to a custom mesh? E.g. a pool water surface that has a 2D shape? I'm also thinking would it be a good idea to create 3 different main types of water, like for rivers - lakes, pools, ponds - and ocean? Make it so the ocean water comes with a plane, the river and lake, pools and river water as a drag and drop on object kind of thing?
    I've got this one on my wishlist, trying to find a good looking, flexible and easy to use water system.

3. kripto289

kripto289

My water works the same as water4. You can also easily change the mesh to any other, and set flow and water form.

4. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

Is this in C# or JS?

5. kripto289

kripto289

I use two scripts in C #, to create a camera of reflection and refraction (for mobile).

6. lazygunn

lazygunn

A flow map/direction map would be especially useful for doing shores with this I think as its currently tricky to get the water behaviour down properly on things like direction - it would great to lerp between directional shore waves and more confused waves with a map

7. Seith

Seith

@kripto289 Do you think it would be possible for you to implement some kind of displacement based on collision? I mean for example to detect the player walking in water and create a little disturbance around him?

8. kripto289

kripto289

I thought about it and found several methods. I was trying to make waves as meshes, but it does not look right. I tried to draw the waves on height map, but it's too slow.
    I could not find more information, and left it for the future.

9. mangax

mangax

i like this asset, the mobile version works at acceptable frame rate.. specular effects generally for both pc and mobile is underwhelming ... i hope there is some sort of specular effect on mobile, as they don't exist! even if it is a cheap effect..

i have the following issues attached in images , desc below it>>

issue.jpg

am working on mobile project, in editor the Caustic PC version doesn't seem to work well with the water mobile shader??.. as you can see there are square areas indicate missing parts?

moreover on second image below it the Caustic mobile shader as i pictured it below water surface from scene view.. it is there. but it doesn't show up at all from game default camera, and it doesn't show up as well on mobile builds as well, this is a main issue am facing..

am using unity latest build and project build is set to android.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  10. kripto289

kripto289

Yes, it's a bug.
    Open shader "waterMobile" and replace

Code (CSharp):
    1. Tags {" RenderType "=" Opaque "}
    2. Cull Off
    3. // ZWrite On

to

Code (CSharp):
    1. Tags {" Queue "=" Transparent "" RenderType "=" Opaque "}
    2. Cull Off
    3. ZWrite Off

11. strongbox3d

strongbox3d

Hello kripto289,

This is the most beautiful water I have seen in the asset store! Congratulation. I work with Unity3d 5 Pro version. I have a question before I buy your wonderful asset. I am working on a project for Consoles. All the action happens underwater in the ocean, and I have been looking for the best looking water around. Does your water has some sort of underwater fog? Does it works with Unity fog? I need an underwater atmosphere as you can imaging. I love the caustic effect you have going on there. But I need a fog that give me depth from underwater. Please let me know.

Regards,
    Carlos

hopeful likes this.
  12. kripto289

kripto289

I hope I understand you correctly.
    Underwater effect I have not done. But with Unity fog water works something like this.
    sdf.png

13. strongbox3d

strongbox3d

Hello kripto,

I bought the asset! It is great. I have a question for you, could you tell me how could I create this as an infinite water? also is there a shader or something for good godrays passing through the surface into the water?

Regards,
    Carlos

14. kripto289

kripto289

Infinite water make using projected grid. Such as in cryengine. I still did not go into the details of how it works.
    About godrays. Have you tried using the standard godrays?

15. mangax

mangax

after trying the fix, it worked well with Caustic pc, but Caustic mobile still not showing..
    also as i rotate camera around, it seems Caustic mobile works at certain angels , but not all angels.. is there some sort of culling happening?

16. kripto289

kripto289

You have updated mesh for mobile caustics? I wrote this in the readme.

17. Pulov

Pulov

Tested teh demo, looks great

18. Dinin

Dinin

Hi!

Your water asset looks realy cool.
    Does this asset require Unity Pro or does it work with Unity personal also ?

regards
    Dinin

19. kripto289

kripto289

Hello,
    Water work with unity4 (pro only) and unity5 (free and pro).

20. Zuon94

Zuon94

I just purchased your water, and while I can see the caustics, the water itself does not show up, and none of the sliders in the demo scene change anything.

I'm running Unity 5 on Windows 10 Technical Preview. The OS is not likely to be the problem.

My specs are:
    Intel i3 2nd gen @ 3.3ghz
    8GB DDR3-1600
    Sapphire Radeon R7 260x 2GB OC Edition

How do I fix this issue? Was I not supposed to allow Unity to upgrade the scripts on import?

vbs likes this.
  21. kripto289

kripto289

Mobile demo scene is working correctly?
    Write to me on skype "scar289" or email "kripto289@gmail.com"?

PS
    Problem solved. For those who will have a similar problem, check the scale of water plane fbx.
    For unity5 it may be less than 100 times.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  22. Wellsword

Wellsword

hi
    Version 1.0.0.1 mobile scene is not working correctly with Unity5 .
    Version 1.0.0.0 works correctly with Unity4.
    After I imported 1.0.0.1 in Unity5 ,I found some scripts lost in main camera , if i import 1.0.0.0 first its ok ,but the mobile sence works not correctly.
    if I import 1.0.0.0 in unity4 , then upgrade the project to unity5 , then import 1.0.0.1 in Unity5 , mobile sence works correctly, but my project is already in unity5 ,so I cant do this.
    Could you help me about this? I think the problem is about depth of field scatter script , Unity5 rewrite it with c#, but I cant find any diff about them.
    problem.jpg problem.jpg

23. kripto289

kripto289

Hello,
    It's bug with rendererTexture and forward renderer in editor mode.
    Mobile scene worked correctly in editor only with deffered/legacy deffered renderer. But on mobile, scene work correctly with all settings (forward/deffered...)
    Also, water for pc do not use RendereTexture (this use GrabPass), and in editor mode he worked correctly.

24. Stiffx

Stiffx

OMFG this is very beautiful, I'm truly impressed :eek:, keep it up sir

25. ponx

ponx

hello Kripto, congratulations, absolutely beautiful! I have a question though: I also work on an underwater-game, and i would need the surface to realtime-reflect fishes that are close to the surface. Does that work?

26. kripto289

kripto289

Yes, reflections can work under water (but then reflections above the water will not be correct).
    Enough to change the script "reflectionCamera" line
    Vector4 clipPlane = CameraSpacePlane (reflectionCamera, pos, normal, 1.0f);
    on
    Vector4 clipPlane = CameraSpacePlane (reflectionCamera, pos, norm

asdasd.png al, -1.0f);

27. Wellsword

Wellsword

thanks it works correctly with deffered in editor.

28. ekow

ekow

Hello, I try to build mobile demo scene on unity 5, but the water seems black when running on device, on editor/pc everything seems fine. Thank you.

Screenshot_2015-05-07-15-33-04 resize.jpg

29. kripto289

kripto289

Hello,
    My apk demo worked correctly?
    What a mobile model?
    You use forward/deffered renderer instead of vertexlit?

30. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

31. Dragon_AV

Dragon_AV

Hello,
    I noticed that in the mobile demo scenes I am missing some scripts on my camera. Could you please tell me which scripts I need to put on there?
    Thank you.

32. TechiTech

TechiTech

Purchased. Very pleased!!

Tested in Unity 5.1.0 b5

No problems at all.

33. kripto289

kripto289

I forgot to remove unnecessary references to the old scripts (I used an early version of the water).
    This can be removed.

34. Recon03

Recon03

Does this work with Skyshop?? Also does this need directional lights for it to work .?

35. kripto289

kripto289

Yes. Yes.
    Also, If necessary, I can make lighting control of water/caustic by setting, instead of automatically from directional light.

36. Recon03

Recon03

Issue is when I use directional lighting in my scene it kills my Skyshop... so that wont work.. Still waiting to hear back from the dev why I can't use directional lights with Skyshop unless its a bug? I dunno. Only used Skyshop for a little awhile, I have another water shader and I cant use due to it needing directional lighting. Skyshop dev is helpful but a little slow on replying so I will find out hopefully soon..

37. kripto289

kripto289

Sorry, my English is not very good.
    Skyshop not work with directional light? Do you want to change the the lighting of water without directional light? If so, then write me on skype, i can help you.

38. Recon03

Recon03

Waiting on the dev to confirm about this... I heard some say yes, some no, but I know when I do, my scene looks bad and dark. So waiting to hear back from him.. I will let you know what s your Skype incase?

39. kripto289

kripto289

Oh, I forgot to write it :)
    Skype is "scar289"

40. Sprak

Sprak

I'm having some issues with the depth fade. Seems like geometry behind the mesh is masking the fade?
    Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 13.49.38.jpg
    Best example is the silhouette around the fish.
    I'm on Unity 5.0.1f1, using an Nvidia GT 750M 2Gb card (Macbook Pro)

41. kripto289

kripto289

I solved this bag.
    Open shader "waterPC.shader" and replace the old function half4 frag to this
    Code (CSharp):
    1. half4 frag( v2f i ) : COLOR
    2. {
    3.     half2 normal1 = UnpackNormal(tex2D(_Wave1, i.uvWave1)).rg;
    4.     half3 normal2 = UnpackNormal(tex2D(_Wave2, i.uvWave2 + normal1));
    5.     half3 normal3 = UnpackNormal(tex2D(_Wave2, i.uvWave2/2-_Time.xx * _Direction.zw + normal2.xy));
    6.     float2 foam1 = tex2D(_Foam, i.uvFoam).rg;
    8.     float fresnel = saturate(_OffsetFresnel - dot(normal2, i.viewDir));
    9.     fresnel = pow(fresnel, _FPOW);
    10.     fresnel = _R0 + (1.0 - _R0) * fresnel;
    11.     float2 offset = normal2.xy * _Distortion * half2(0.001, 0.001);
    13. //offset = pow(offset, 3*fadeBlend) + offset/30;
    14.     offset = offset*offset*offset + offset/30;
    15.     half4 grabDefault = tex2Dproj(_GrabTexture, UNITY_PROJ_COORD(i.uvgrab));
    17.     i.uvgrab.xy = offset * i.uvgrab.z + i.uvgrab.xy;
    18.     half4 reflection = tex2Dproj(_ReflectionTex, UNITY_PROJ_COORD(i.uvgrab));
    19.     half4 grab = tex2Dproj(_GrabTexture, UNITY_PROJ_COORD(i.uvgrab));
    20.     float gray = grab.r * 0.3 + grab.g * 0.59 + grab.b * 0.11;
    21.     half4 col = grab;
    23.     float sceneZ = LinearEyeDepth (UNITY_SAMPLE_DEPTH(tex2Dproj(_CameraDepthTexture, UNITY_PROJ_COORD(i.uvgrab))));
    24.     float partZ = i.projPos.z;
    25.     float deltaZ =  sceneZ-partZ;
    26.     float fadeDepth = saturate (_FadeDepth * deltaZ);
    27.     float fadeBlend = saturate (_FadeBlend * deltaZ);
    28.     float fadeBlend2 = saturate (_FadeBlend2 * deltaZ);
    29.     fadeBlend = fadeBlend/2 + 0.5;
    31.     col = lerp(col * _Color, lerp(col * _FadeColor, _FadeColor*_LightColor0, _DepthTransperent), fadeDepth);
    32.     col += (reflection * _ReflectionColor * fresnel + reflection * _ReflectionColor/5)
    33.     * saturate(_SunIntensity - _LightColor0.w + _SunIntensity/3);
    35.     float glare2 = lerp(normal3.r, normal3.g, normal2.x * i.fresnelGlare.x);
    36.     float4 glareCol = _LightColor0*_GlareColor * (glare2*glare2);
    38.     float foam =  lerp(foam1.r*2, normal1.r, normal2.r)*(1-fadeBlend)*2 * gray * _LightColor0;
    39.     col = foam + col -  foam*col;
    40.     col = lerp(grabDefault, col, fadeBlend2);
    42.     return col + glareCol;
    43. }

42. Sprak

Sprak

Thank you! That works like a charm.

43. Sprak

Sprak

I don't know if this is a bug or a limitation, but things that are in front of the water surface mask out the surface before the distortion, so I get these distorted edges around everything.
    For example, that sphere does not intersect at all with the water plane.
    (Pillar intersects halfway)

Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 20.08.57.png

44. Deleted User

Deleted User

This is looking fantastic. On my short list for water solutions.

45. Alex3333

Alex3333

Добрый день. Будет ли интеграция с УФПС? Вода выглядит шикарно!

46. kripto289

kripto289

I solved this bag.
    sfdfdsf.png
    I'll send fixes (version 1.0.0.2) for asset store review. If you need to get fixes immediately, write me to email "kripto289@gmail.com"
    Добрый день.
    Что именно вы подразумевайте под интеграцией с ufps? Волны и брызги от выстрелов? Я возможно добавлю их в будущем.

47. Alex3333

Alex3333

Я имею ввиду, чтобы игрок мог держаться на поверхности воды . Брызги от шагов ,если не глубоко.Мог умереть от недостатка кислорода. и другие плюшки ))) . Так же у меня есть несколько скриптов воды на эту тему , могу скинуть ,если нужно посмотреть как это работает, только они не оnносятся к ufps.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  48. ekow

ekow

apk demo works on unity 4, but on unity 5 sky reflection shows black only when running on mobile device
    I'm using asus fe380cg,
    I've try both forward and deffered

edit:
    It turns out that Sunny2 skybox is the problem, after I changed it into default unity5 skybox, problem is solved.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  49. kripto289

kripto289

Sky displayed correctly without water? Reflections I do with additional camera. See setting "ReflectionCamera". It may be necessary to change renderpath?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  50. Goldenvale

Goldenvale

Hey I'm interested in your water asset but is there any chance that you can make the surface of the water receive shadows?