Search Unity

Realistic FPS Prefab [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Deleted User, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Defcon44

Defcon44

RFPS Work really good with Unity 5.

No, he don't stop updating, just something IRL ;)

2. luxregina

luxregina

It does work fine with Unity 5, granted that you update a few things by hand, and let Unity convert the scripts.
    The developer posted not long ago in this thread a preview of what's coming next (factions, spawn points, etc) so I would assume this package is still 'active'.
    From the perspective of a neophyte, it's a very nice package, rather easy to modifiy, and I don't regret a cent spent on this...

3. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

i cant get it to work in u5, the gun has no recoil and never needs to reload

4. Gua

Gua

After update to Unity 5 my mouse cursor is not properly hidden and not copletely locked in game view. Was some been able to solve this problem?

5. Defcon44

Defcon44

I have the same probleme :s

I don't where is from

6. luxregina

luxregina

not sure if it's an acceptable solution, but for me, it worked:
    - Have 'maximize' on play selected
    - once you press play on the Unity UI, position your cursor on where the game window will be, and wait that the game initialise...if the cursor doesn't disapear, click on the center of that screen (if you have several monitors). It should disapear, and be locked within your maximized game window.

7. TonyLi

TonyLi

Updating SmoothMouseLook.cs seemed to work for me. I added the specific code to my previous Unity 5 post. If it doesn't work for you, let me know.

luxregina likes this.
  8. luxregina

luxregina

It is obvisously better than my hack :)

9. Defcon44

Defcon44

Work's perfectl, Thank's !

After look, zombie take damage but I what is not of " zone damages " what mean that to take the damages it is absolutely necessary to be on the grenade.

How I made to add a trigger damages to the script?

I looked for the rigidbody, modified the values but nothing change. And for Clone.velocity () I do not see if he work's :s

10. Defcon44

Defcon44

Ok so i have fixe the velocity :

On the first sript i have this :

Code (JavaScript):
    1. var throwPower : float = 10;
    So i have change to :

Code (JavaScript):
    1. var throwPower : float = 250;
    That's work ! The grenade is launch :)

But i have still the damage pobleme.

11. TonyLi

TonyLi

I'm not near Unity right now. Check the ExplosiveObject script. Is there a distance property? Compare your grenade to RFPS's explosive barrel.

12. Defcon44

Defcon44

I have check this ... i go to check again

Thx :)

Awesome man !!!

I want it :D

Release date ?

13. vincentellis

vincentellis

Can we easily make the soldiers fight with each other? Can an NPC target another one?

14. LAUDSOFT

LAUDSOFT

Ok, so I opened Unity 5 and imported RFPS, tried to run the demo scene.

So much is broken. I tried the suggestion from TonyLi with the physics properties, but that really had no effect. The mouse seems like an easy fix, but no point in fixing that because there are so many other problems:

The guns don't actually hit anything (no bullet marks), the recoil animation doesn't play properly when you aim down sight, the R (reload) key doesn't do anything. And at the beginning, the player is constantly splashing in water (you hear the sound effect) until you move far away from the spawn point. The zombies spawn but don't attack, and again, shooting them does nothing. The alien robot attacks and can shoot me/chase me, but shooting him does nothing. The enemy soldier doesn't move at all. This is too many bugs for me to deal with.

The last update on the developers blog was from July 2014. That's 9 months with, not just no update, but no mention of any future update as a simple courtesy to all purchasers. I wouldn't mind waiting, but this is ridiculous. I just sent him an email asking what's up, but I doubt I'll get a reply.

[ EDIT -- Sorry for raging a little here, but unless you know where else to look, there's no indication on the blog site as to any updates, now I know where to check, I won't bother to check that site anymore. ]

It sucks, because I really prefer this over UFPS, but at least they advertise that they are Unity 5 compatible. So I'm gonna try that now, seeing as I got them both. Makes me feel like just starting my own FPS engine from scratch.

Is anyone else in the same boat?

I just want to use Unity 5 because, well obviously, all the features are free now, it doesn't make sense to use 4.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  15. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

If I don't hit any horrible roadblocks I should have a web demo out next week and then release the beta to the asset store the week after that (providing I can get documentation done quickly).

The only difference in the Final Release and beta is that the final release comes with a high quality character and custom animations. The beta will also be cheaper and automatically get updated to full release for free.

Defcon44 likes this.
  16. Defcon44

Defcon44

Hello BlueLED,

I have two question :

Do you know how to read?

Do you know how to look on a forum? (Numbers of pages below ;) )

I ask you for it because a little more than 2 weeks ago, Azuline gave news, he says in particular that the development continues and that the next update will arrive after MECANIM and Unity 5 willbeen tested and functional.

Then before coming to lower little one from the best available Asset thank you for being willing to look and to reading!

thanck you!

17. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

SAME!

18. Defcon44

Defcon44

Are you convert the RFPS script after import ?

19. LAUDSOFT

LAUDSOFT

Thanks for the info and I understand you want to defend the asset, and rightfully so because it is a good asset. There is no doubt there. But please understand, my initial question was will it work with Unity 5, and basically what I got was, "yes, but you will have to fix some things." I'm sorry, but as I mentioned and so did jimbob, it has many, many problems, with no apparent fix, so it should be stated quite clearly, NO, it does not work with Unity 5.

Also, you have to consider, where will people go to get updates? Will they dig through pages and pages on a forum, or go to the blog site where updates should be? Obviously it should be mentioned there first and foremost.

Again, thanks for the news on the potential update, but spare me the snarky question of "do I know how to read." ;)

For anyone wanting to see more current updates, avoid the blogsite and just go here: http://forum.unity3d.com/search/1172127/

20. TonyLi

TonyLi

I hear you, @blueLED and @llJIMBOBll - it's frustrating that there isn't much official support right now. There's a good core group of users working through the issues, though. To my knowledge, after you let Unity 5 convert the scripts, set up the player's physics material, and make the mouse cursor code change, it all works in Unity 5. If anyone is still having issues after doing these three things, please post here. This weekend I'll contact Azuline and try to get them to add the contents of my previous Unity 5 post (including any updates you post before then) to their official site so people will know where to find it.

21. TonyLi

TonyLi

Azuline has said that this functionality (in the form of factions) is coming in the next version. I just use Behavior Designer instead, which has integration with RFPS.

22. LAUDSOFT

LAUDSOFT

Basically to re-create the problem: Open Unity 5 (downloaded just the other day), create new project (I added image effects package only), then import the latest RFPS asset. It will go through the process of converting scripts, mentions about the deprecated mouse functions, there are some other errors at the bottom, and then you're in the editor. At that point, I opened the main demo scene and it runs, except... well, then you should see the problems mentioned.

23. sluice

sluice

UFPS is working nicely for me in Unity5. Haven't had to change anything.
    But then again, I'm not using any shooting or AI mechanism.

Question for you UFPS guru's, I'm implementing my character and I've run into two issues:

1- The damping effect of the camera when the player moves (it's more pronounced when he's running..)
    Are there any variable to control that? After exploring the code, I think it's happening in the CameraKick script, but I might be wrong. Anyway, any insight on how to alleviate this issue would be great, because it basically sucks to see your character heads every time you start running.

2- How to I control the Height of the RFPS prefab? Right now I'm making the scale of my player a little bit larger that he should....

24. vincentellis

vincentellis

That's nice... any ETA on the new version? I can't use Behavior Designer because it's not compatible with my platform.

25. LAUDSOFT

LAUDSOFT

There is a heightMod variable in the inspector for the player.

sluice likes this.
  26. sluice

sluice

Thanks man! There are so many variables.. it's easy to miss some!

ETA: soon after Mecanim and Unity 5 support has been fully tested and implemented. Which could be in 1 week or 3 months for all we know... But It's good to at least hear from the creator and know he's still working on this.
    See Azuline last post:

27. TonyLi

TonyLi

Yup. I just followed those steps exactly (new U5 project, import image effects, import RFPS, convert scripts). The console only had a couple warnings.

However, when I played the scene, the console logged NullReferenceExceptions on all of the animations. It appears that Unity 5 doesn't like to import prefabs with legacy animation.

As a workaround (too messy to call it a "solution"), import RFPS into a Unity 4 project. Then load this project in Unity 5 and let it convert the scripts then. That seems to work for me. Otherwise, reassign all the animations (weapons and NPCs). Fortunately everything's a prefab, so you only need to reassign to the prefabs and all the scene instances will be okay. As long as you're not getting any NullReferenceExceptions in the console, everything should work fine.

Check Radius, which is above Blast Mask. If you want the grenade to apply damage farther out, increase Radius.

I haven't tested it, but I think it's the private variable camSmoothSpeed on line 48. Try changing it from 0.075f to 0.025f.

28. Gua

Gua

It didn't worked for me. Can you spot what I did wrong?

29. sluice

sluice

@TonyLi
    I actually found that right before bed last night. It seems to do the trick somewhat. Still not 100% what I'm looking for, I have to test more.

I'm kinda anxious to see how @Azuline Studios will have done it in 1.22. :D

EDIT: Tested it some more and the camera still has that damping effect. it's just not as intense.. but it's still there. I tried different value to camSmoothSpeed, from -0.075f to 0.075f, with no luck.

EDIT2: Seems my running animation doesn't help. When running, my character head is leaned a bit forward. So in the end changing the value of camSmoothSpeed to -0.005f does the trick for when my character is idle/walking. For running, I need to either move my character back a little bit more or move the camera forward.

30. TonyLi

TonyLi

Does the RFPS sandbox scene work? Maybe something else in your scene is showing the mouse cursor?

Anything less than 0 should be treated as 0, so you might as well set it to 0.

Better yet, instead of changing camSmoothSpeed, can you put the head on a layer that the player camera doesn't render?

31. sluice

sluice

That is the first thing I wanted to do. But the character was made with Mixamo Fuse and the head is in the same object as the chest and arms.

32. TonyLi

TonyLi

If this is for multiplayer, can you hide the body for the player and only show it for proxies in other players' instances?

33. sluice

sluice

Yes, this is for multiplayer and in a last resort, I could always do that. But I think it's awesome when you get to see your legs when looking down, or when you see your arms when doing different actions.

I'll ask my artist to see how much complicated it would be to split the body mesh from the Mixamo Fuse output.

34. TonyLi

TonyLi

Good idea. An artist shouldn't have any trouble lopping the head off, kind of like OneShotGG did for this Bloody Mess post.

35. LAUDSOFT

LAUDSOFT

Thanks for taking the time to check that. I believe I will just wait and pray for a new official update :)

36. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Thanx TonyLi ill try what you said and open in unity 4.6 after i downloaded it, i'll try export it in a package and open in fresh u5 project to see if works so i don't have to use 4.6.

Without you TonyLi and a few others like Defcon44 this asset would be useless

Let's hope he can release the new update soon, he said before he had 1.22 update but that was months ago.

Yeah works and even if you import using the package i made from the u4 to u5 conversion into a new project, execpt the inputs but i just copy pasted from the u4/u5 converted project, so its safe to delete u4 now.. Only thing that i get a error is the water, when i open the demo scene it plays a splash sound for like 20 secs but then its normal

Defcon44 likes this.
  37. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

This is a good video to show how to split the materials for head arms and body, using blender which is free and free models from mixamo or makehuman

Play it around 12 mins in, also there could be a part 2 to the video but should show up if there is, its easy even a noob like me can do it, i was gonna buy fps mesh tool but after this video it pretty easy and free

sluice and TonyLi like this.
  38. sluice

sluice

39. Defcon44

Defcon44

Thank's jimbo :)

So, to return there has my problem of grenade, I increased the shelf of explosion, (I increased almost all the parameters of the script but nothing can be done, it is necessary to be is less than 10 cms of the grenade to receive damages) an idea PLEASE?

Ah yes and I have an other probleme, when I have no more grenade in stock and well I can launch to the infinity :s

40. NeuroToxin-Studios

NeuroToxin-Studios

Hi guys just wanted to get everyone's unbiased opinions.

I own both RFPS and UFPS and love them both.

I am developing my first FPS game and the game will feature a range of weapons, custom player model and much more and i need to choose which one to use.

The features I need are
    - Ability to add custom weapons easily.
    - Ability to have an animated player model.
    - Support for Unity 5 (Must)
    - Ability to save and load (can use Player Prefs as a last resort)
    - ability to add snipers with scope zoom functionality
    - General ease of use (I am a programmer so can extend code etc but for simplicity would rather have most important variables etc in the editor inspector)
    - Support for problems I will guaranteed have (I have not looked at the UFPS Forums but even in Azulines absense his response to my emails and support of members such as TonyLi leaves me loving the support for RFPS)
    - ability to add/have custom sounds when falling, jumping and etc etc
    - ability to easily change/add a HUD displaying weapon name, ammo and clips left etc

I know asking this question in the RFPS forum is a slight risk due to possible bias answers however I trust that you will give me unbiased honest answers and recommendations.

If you answer recommending one over the other PLEASE state the reasons why I should use this one.

Thanks for reading

41. TonyLi

TonyLi

I put together a quick proof-of-concept grenade scene. The package below imports into Assets/Grenade Test. I added "GrenadeBelt" to !!!FPS Weapons. I added a Grenade GameObject as a child. Press 'G' to throw a grenade.

http://pixelcrushers.com/misc/RFPS_Grenade_2015-03-13.unitypackage

I've had to dig far too deeply into both to tie them into the Dialogue System. :) Here are my thoughts on their current states, not considering features promised in the future. Keep in mind this is just my highly subjective opinion.

> - Ability to add custom weapons easily.

About the same. Slight edge to RFPS for being simpler.

> - Ability to have an animated player model.

UFPS. It has official, tested support. RFPS doesn't; you're on your own.

> - Support for Unity 5 (Must)

Either. I'm supporting/working on UFPS and RFPS projects in Unity 5, and they both work. You need to import RFPS into a Unity 4 project first, as documented here.

> - Ability to save and load (can use Player Prefs as a last resort)

Neither. You'll have to implement this yourself. (If you have the Dialogue System, it provides a lot of help with this, and has been battle-tested in UFPS games such as the Dead Bunker series, and in RFPS with games like 10 Years After.)

> - ability to add snipers with scope zoom functionality

About the same. I prefer RFPS, but it's just a personal preference for the way it feels.

> - General ease of use (I am a programmer so can extend code etc but for simplicity would rather have most important variables etc in the editor inspector)

Slight edge to RFPS, just in my opinion. RFPS has a much simpler design, so it's easier to customize. UFPS, on the other hand, is designed with customization and expandability in mind (pro), but its design is extremely convoluted and it makes up its own solutions instead of taking advantage standard C# patterns (con).

> - Support for problems I will guaranteed have (I have not looked at the UFPS Forums but even in Azulines absense his response to my emails and support of members such as TonyLi leaves me loving the support for RFPS)

UFPS. VisionPunk has an active, dedicated forum managed by the actual developers. Then again, it needs it because the code design is kind of convoluted. But, regardless, UFPS has the wider, more official support base.

> - ability to add/have custom sounds when falling, jumping and etc etc

Either. Probably UFPS because it has a more formal character state system, but again it's also more complicated.

> - ability to easily change/add a HUD displaying weapon name, ammo and clips left etc

Either, but slight edge to RFPS. For example, see luxregina's custom HUD in this post.

Misc. thoughts:

UFPS has more add-ons, such as acParkour for Mirror's Edge-style freerunning, supports more modern Unity features such as Mecanim, and with v1.4.9u5 has official, native Unity 5 support. For AI, I'm a fan of Behavior Designer, which supports RPFS and UFPS. VisionPunk is working on official multiplayer for UFPS. We've done proof-of-concept multiplayer with RFPS using Bolt, but it's neither official nor comprehensive.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    llJIMBOBll and Defcon44 like this.
  42. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

Cutting meshes up is pretty simple, if not time consuming. The cool thing is, if you are careful, you can transfer weight painting data between the unsplit and split model without having to do any extra weight painting.

There is an asset on the asset store that will remove head and arms. It's designed for ufps but should work for anything. Can't remember it's name though.

43. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

I own RFPS, UFPS and easy weapons.

To me RFPS is the easiest to work with but UFPS has better support and features. I own ready weapons because it's shooting code was easiest to implement into a third person shooter system.

After we finish Bloody Mess and our current game project we will be moving onto a retro fps game which we plan on using rfps for.

If we were doing a more modern style shooter we would likely use UFPS

44. Defcon44

Defcon44

Thank's for you'r time and you'r help :)

But i have a probleme, then i launch the grenade she go behind the player, not forward, and i can launch only one grenade.

But damage work good :)

45. NeuroToxin-Studios

NeuroToxin-Studios

Ok thank you very much TonyLi and OneShotGG for giving me true unbiased answers/opinions.

Dam it seems like they are both about equal which makes the decision harder.

I think I might go with RFPS as it seems to be more user friendly and supports pretty much everything I need (Including swimming which is a plus and could be a cool feature).

another question though, How hard would it be to add a player model into RFPS? I know in the dev build there is animated legs and so it obviously can be done.

Also how hard would it be to add the ability to get in and out of vehicles? I own edys vehicle physics and would love to be able to go up to the vehicle and press F to get in and drive and then F to get out

I think the support in this forum even with Azulines absence shows that this is a strong asset and so I have no doubt that if I asked for help in this thread I would get it.

Again thank you TonyLi and OneShotGG for replying and helping me out :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  46. TonyLi

TonyLi

The grenade goes behind the player in the "Grenade Test" scene?

Have you customized any of the RFPS scripts? (Except for the Unity 5 change in SmoothMouseLook.cs.)

The !!!FPS Weapons GameObject has a GrenadeBelt component. It should have a field "Grenades Left" that starts at 3. Does it go down to 2 when you press 'G'?

47. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

Think of vehicles as a moving platform. Rfps already supports moving platforms so all you really need to do is hide the gun and use their example script to parent your player to the vehicle. Change the arm animation and activate the vehicles controller and you are good to go.

For a character body you would need to add a character model to the FPS prefab computer with a mecanim animation controller. Then you would need to go into the FPSrigidbodywalker script and add on hooks to your mecanim controller too tell it what animations to play.

This would do a passable body but the animations could fall prey to ice skating sensation.

If you want it to look like bf4 you would likely need to use root motion which would require a rewrite of the entire RFPS locomotion system.

TonyLi likes this.
  48. NeuroToxin-Studios

NeuroToxin-Studios

Thank you very much for the help

49. TonyLi

TonyLi

It takes some careful attention to match up the GameObject's translation with the animation, but the results can still look perfectly fine. Gears of War and Mass Effect don't use root motion, and I don't think anyone really notices. You could do a full body with legacy.

I use root motion and Mecanim for NPCs, though, since they're not so tightly tied into RFPS.

50. Defcon44

Defcon44

Yes same probleme in the " grenade test " scene,

I don't touch any script of RFPS.

"grenade Left" don't down to 2 when i press " G " :(