Search Unity

Real-Time Strategy (RTS) game for Android, iOS, Windows and Mac

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kasaie, Feb 23, 2015.

?

Is it a good idea to have a complete Real-Time strategy (RTS) kit on AssetStore?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It depends, because RTS is a norrow niche

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kasaie

Kasaie

Hi guys,

I just want to know your opinions about a complete RTS (real-time strategy) game package, carefully designed for mobile devices to run on every platform, and also supports Windows and Mac. While there is a lot of wonderful TD (tower defense) and TB (turn based) strategy kits on AssetStore, there is a big gap for a real-time strategy kit. So I want to kindly ask for your opinions on this, whether this is a goood idea to have such kits on AssetStore.

Please take a look at these shots taken from the title "Modern Conflict" by Gaijin Entertainment for example:

lz2ccC2G1JsWWyhiFydujcubKNk5sDgOOjRtGdxitM_KELzNCZ-V6m54TgNzaEpXug=h900.jpg

eSkbm8Kd5uOXZCKGaW-WsLL_Ybmi-pk6jG16q36so2KbtfgsUgjpVBilJst38oyCXhI=h900.jpg zqld2OYwt1ARfeg0xHEb66yCtvyrdaYEFqL6i1wVLMdPRc36J6Gekm32rHc3V3xG11Q=h900.jpg wXeNsUG7mFF95RF9Z5cuFtqJk0TnzYnORXilIhqyO5alHNSKPhKKIuQUUCTD1UNuUQ0=h900.jpg
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gaijinent.modernconflict&hl=en

This is a very popular (and in my opinion, very addictive) real-time strategy game which has been mastered for mobile devices. While this is just an offline game, with a campaign and an endless mode, It has a wonderful download rate of +1.000.000, with a score of 4.6 on GooglePlay. As the game is completely free, it uses in-game purchase and relies on advertisements and you can easily figure how much money it can generate daily by that amount of download and player base.

So as I've stated before, do you think this is a good idea to have a complete real-time strategy kit on AssetStore, beside all the other turn-based and tower-defense kits?

Many Thanks.

2. Kasaie

Kasaie

[ Reserved ]

3. imtrobin

imtrobin

good but I think it's hard to do something flexible for user to customize. If you can do it, great!

4. Kasaie

Kasaie

That's correct. But most of the games today have similar gameplay mechanics. It's just the small details, tweaks and options which makes a game a hit and leaves many buried down deep.

For the RTS genre, it's a different story, because it's not as popular as FPS genre, but also there is not a lot of competition, so an intuitive and fun gameplay can get the title to be noticed. Many have tried to port games like C&C to mobile devices, but to no avail, and it's mostly because it's not easy to do such level of micro-management with just a finger. But what "Modern Conflict" did with it's awesome one-touch approach, was just amazing. The high number of download and total score says it all.

I have no idea if AssetStore is a good place to promote a complete RTS project and if there is enough interested buyers, so providing such solution could make sense.

Anyway, I really appreciate your comment, imtrobin :)

5. nasos_333

nasos_333

More tools are alwasy better, the issue with this is how you will handle AI etc

Will it use some standard like RAIN or other path finding or a custom solution ?

6. Kasaie

Kasaie

Hi nasos,

The kit uses a complicated custom solution for handling the AI. Please kindly test MC I introduced earlier. Mine works the same, with the additional ability to engage with other AI's simultaneously.

Thanks.

7. AliquidHacker

AliquidHacker

@Kasaie
    Any release date?
    I would be greatly interested
    Thanks In advance
    Aliquidhacker

8. Kasaie

Kasaie

Unfortunately I'm still undecided to release this game as a kit. But I certainly will let you know if I came to any conclusion.