Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Real Materials series

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Lex4art, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Lex4art

Lex4art

[Link to 8K image]

"Real Materials" is a series of 200 high quality ... materials, already available on the Asset Store:
    Features:
    • 23 Free materials to try before buy: Real Materials vol.0 - Free samples
    • Native support for HDRP, Universal and Standard rendering pipelines
    • Most textures have 4K resolution (some even 8K).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2023
    Gozdek, ImpossibleRobert and Don-Gray like this.
  2. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

These are very nice. How can you make a dirtier gold. Old gold bsrs or for natueal gold nuggets

3. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

coolllllllllllllll one

Lex4art likes this.
  4. Gozdek

Gozdek

Wow! Nice!

Lex4art likes this.
  5. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

Hello,
    I'm interested the metal pack. I'm still running Unity 5.2.3. Can I still download, install, and use the metal shaders/textures even though I don't yet have 5.3? (I realize the materials might not look as good as they do in 5.3, but it is still usable for now until I'm able to install Unity 5.3?)

The other question I have is one of the assets says the download is 600Mb. But looking at the files included in the package, I don't see how the asset could be that large of size.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/36111
    Do you know if the list shown is complete? Or is maybe the reported download size correct?

Thanks.

6. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

Ok thanks. I'll wait until I can install 5.3 so to avoid any issues with the asset install.

7. Asset_Store_Deals

Asset_Store_Deals

Just to let you know we are adding Real Materials Vol 1-5 to AssetStoreDeals.com.

When you have other sales, you can add them to this website simply by pasting the link to your asset in the designated area.

Best of luck to you with this sale!

Lex4art likes this.
  8. yc960

yc960

picked up some of those packs and liked the quality, I would like more through tutorial on how to use them to their fullest. How to integrate them to custom models, etc.

Lex4art likes this.
  9. Lex4art

Lex4art

Well, with standard Unity shader it's like "apply material to the model, adjust UVs, build Reflection Probes, done". Some useful advices are mentioned in my documentation for Unity (at the bottom of the page) and for Blender; also with new PostProcessing stack there comes better Color Grading and Bloom effects that really helps with photoreal metal look & feel.

Wish someday that ageing feature comes to unity shaders (watch from 1:34):

But anyway, it's still a material and even with these features all pretty simple here with PBR... and that is a bright side for artists - just apply some materials from library to scene meshes and that's it, no wasting time on material nodes setup/geeky stuff.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    yc960 likes this.
  10. Lex4art

Lex4art

hopeful and ekergraphics like this.
  11. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

I tried your scene in 2017.4.0f1 and I think there's an issue with your GI proxy objects, because they are visible to me (the trees are just large, green cylinders, for example).

Otherwise, everything looks very impressive!

12. Lex4art

Lex4art

Thanks!
    About GI proxy objects - they will be automatically hidden in "Play" mode by animation. To make them go away in "Scene" view mode you can simply hide them - they are here in Hierarchy:
    GI proxy objects.png

The only time they're needed to be visible is when lightmaps are baking.

Correct way is to use layers to hide those GI proxy objects from user camera & reflection probes via Culling Mask property (this way GI proxies still be visible for lightmap engine but not bothering you in Scene view/Play mode), but layers can't be shipped within asset package from Asset Store as far as I know, they're set on per project basis.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  13. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

Thank you for clearing that up!

14. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Oh! you're revamping your Real Materials! YESS!!
    I have the Complete bundle though. Will you update this one too?

I'm not really concerned by the new HDRP and LWRP though, since I'm still using forward rendering (more flexible, compatible and faster to render than the new ones for my current project at least.)

What do you think about the render quality of the new render pipelines though? Are they really better visually or is it fairly the same? Is it worth all the trouble?

Lex4art likes this.
  15. Lex4art

Lex4art

*takes huge breath and blows off meter-thick layer of dust from this thread*
    Yep, time to catch up with recent LWRP release and upcoming HDRP release, at least port my old materials to those rendering pipelines (but some of them will be reworked, like half of the volume 1). Currently only volume 1 is finished, but soon I will upload everything else too and in the end update a Complete package (don't know how yet - there is a limit to 4GB of package size in Asset Store and to have HDRP and LWRP versions added to Complete package I need 13-14 GB).

About LWRP and HDRP pipelines - hard to say, I don't have much experience with those.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    rrahim and atomicjoe like this.
  16. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Great!
    I'm a huge fan of your materials!
    I would hire you to make all the materials in my game if I wasn't poor like a rat :D
    Let's hope I finish my game and have some success. :p

Lex4art likes this.
  17. rrahim

rrahim

I'm in the same boat. I have the complete package, but new materials for HDRP are always welcome since I've transitioned my entire project to HDRP.

18. Lex4art

Lex4art

Thanks to rrahim for testing - now there is a correct way for owners of "Real Materials Complete" package to have an update on HDRP/LWRP material versions: from now on you can visit "Real Materials vol. 1" (and vol. 2, 3, 4, 5) page on the asset store and they're will be free for you.

Right now only volume 1 is refreshed with HDRP/LWRP versions but in next 4 weeks all of them will be ported + i need to gather all existing non-metal materials into additional volume 6 and 7 and add this free upgrade option to them. I will post here a message when it's done.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  19. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

THANKS!!

20. rrahim

rrahim

The new wood pack looks awesome!
    Is it coming to the Complete pack? (Or any upgrade discount?)

21. Lex4art

Lex4art

Whoops, I forgot to add it as a free upgrade. Fixed.
    Currently there is only one free to upgrade package left to merge from existing materials (bricks/stones/plaster/tiles) and it's almost done. After that I will add all individual materials as a free upgrades for "Complete" package owners - this will speed up things in many situations (and give free access to couple of materials that are not included in packages). Stay turned! )

22. rrahim

rrahim

Awesome!
    Thank you.

23. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi there!
    I'm interested in purchasing all of your "Real Materials" packs, but looks like that the "Bundle" is actually "only":p a "Best of" other packs, plus 10 materials.

Is there any chance you could create 1 or 2 all-inclusive bundles (at a convenient price, of course), with no missing materials, all packs from 1 to 8? (I know there are size limits, but they should be around 5GB per pack now)?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  24. Lex4art

Lex4art

It's already done - after buying "Real Materials Complete" package you gain permanent free access to the Real Materials vol. 1-8 (done via upgrade system of Asset store, e.g. visit volumes pages after buying Complete package and there will be free download option). Currently it's not displayed on the "Real Materials Complete" page, though - I need a couple of weeks to prepare official update images/video + final price will be 64$ instead of 70$. But it's functional - feel free to buy it for free access to volumes if there is a need for them right now ).

hopeful and NeatWolf like this.
  25. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Oh my, what a boon!
    Yes, I redeemed all packages for 0 euros - I believe the description could be a little clearer about that :)
    Usually, you only get what's listed in the package preview, nothing more.

I wish more publishers used this method to ship Bundles, instead of pushing on the store one single huge monolithic package!

(also, makes the bundle easier to maintain!)

It's going to take a while do download everything but it will be worth it :)

Thanks for creating the bundle!
    Best,
    Alex

rrahim and Lex4art like this.
  26. Johan_Valectric

Johan_Valectric

Hi
    I did get the complete pack but when I downloaded it did crash... I think. Unity was frozen for a long time and the the computer did go to hibrinate after 1h. When it did week up u it was functioning again. Now to my problem. All the materials is just pink. Is it something I need to do or is it just to download again and try again? I got the unity version from last week.

27. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Reinstall and try again.
    When you import textures, Unity has to compress them for the build target your project is set.
    This can take from minutes for PC projects to several hours for Android projects with a fast CPU, specially if you are using ASTC texture compression (which you should, by the way) in the project build config menu.
    The only advise for faster texture import and compression is: get a faster CPU. Nothing more can be done.
    However, this process happens only the first time you import the textures (or again if you change specific texture configurations later)
    In my case, to reimport all the complete real materials package into an Android project with ASTC texture compression, it took like 18 hours with an intel core i7 8700K at full load.

However, since the complete real materials is a pack of several smaller packages, you can always download only the packages you need from the store. They are free for the complete pack customers. Just go to the store and download them.

Lex4art likes this.
  28. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

There are also smaller versions of each pack with 2k x 2k resolution textures instead of 4k x 4k if you don't need so much resolution.
    Go to the Lex4art store page and check the individual volumes yourself.

29. Lex4art

Lex4art

Sorry for delay with answer (I'm isolated with that crownvirus in my grandrapent's apartment without access to my home PC). So, if you just imported that 3.9GB package from https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/2d/textures-materials/real-materials-complete-92257 - it's outdated and only for old render ("Standard render"); I can't remove it due Asset Store rules. Now a proper way to import materials is like that: every owner of "Complete" material package have free access to any of "Real Material" volumes (from 1 to 8) - grab volume 6 for example and after importing it you will see 3 diffrerent *.unitypackage files inside "Real Materials" folder (each one for specific rendering pipeline - naming is self explanatory). Just pick right package for your project rendering pipeline and import it - materials will look correct right out of the box.

30. Johan_Valectric

Johan_Valectric

Thank you for this input! I totaly understand the limitations of the situation. Hope you are doing fine there! Take care!

I see then that explains what I did see.

31. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Looks like the plot for an horror movie :D

Johan_Valectric likes this.
  32. thinkfun

thinkfun

Hi.
    I tried to buy "Real Materials Complete", but I bought "Real Materials Lite" by mistake.
    Can I get a refund?

33. Lex4art

Lex4art

Send me invoice number in personal message (and avoid downloading "Real Materials Lite" package if possible - it's tracked in Asset store refund interface and, probably, will block refund option).

34. RendergonPolygons

RendergonPolygons

Hey @Lex4art, great asset! Are the textures to use as is, or are there levers to play with a'la Substance painter/designer, e.g. reduce the number of lines in floor wood so I could use the wood mat for a picture frame that doesn't feel like wood floor? I'm using URP. Thank you!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  35. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

These are fixed textures, not substance materials, so no, they are not configurable except for the texture scale. They are extemely versatile though and would work as is for your use case.

RendergonPolygons and Lex4art like this.
  36. Lex4art

Lex4art

They're based on photos so there it only way to tweak those is hard re-working job in photoshop/GIMP using different set of photos or something generated in Substance Designer...

RendergonPolygons likes this.
  37. Lex4art

Lex4art

Hi. I did quick test - those symptoms ("black surface with tiny white spot") are pointing on the missing reflection probe - try to add one nearby to object with this gold material, give him something to reflect:

Reflection probe example.png

Than more polished material - than more he needs good reflection probe setup (examples in docs).

38. seanbiganski

seanbiganski

Thank you! That was definitely my issue although in my case I am building an iOS AR Foundation app so I had to add AR Environment Probe Manager instead.

Another question if you don't mind, is there a way to smooth the grain of the material? Or is there a different material I should use to achieve a perfect smooth surface? In my case, I'm trying to achieve a very shiny (almost cartoon) shine of gold.

upload_2021-8-27_16-2-22.png

39. Lex4art

Lex4art

For cartoon style gold it's probably will be enough just to lower down 'Smoothness' value in properties of this material (can't remember - is this allowed in URP, though; if not or micro traces of dirt still will be visible - remove that texture from 'Metallic' slot and manually set 'Metalness' value to the maximum and 'Smoothness' to your liking ('0.7' for example)). Also than less smooth the gold than more yellowish&dark tint it should have (because in real world rough metal surface has more light rays bouncing over microscopic details, that makes light more and more reduced to gold color waves only) - so, color adjustment should be applied too...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  40. seanbiganski

seanbiganski

Thanks! I'll play with those :)

41. Dist0

Dist0

Hi, i'm interested by your complete package but, i don't see the info anywhere... Is the materials are all PBR complete map setup?
    (metallic/smoothness, normal, heightmap, aomap...)
    Thanks in advance ;)

42. Lex4art

Lex4art

43. Lex4art

Lex4art

Notice: will be off the grid till 6 January.

44. Lex4art

Lex4art

Small update: "Real Materials Lite" series now supports not only URP, but also HDRP and Built-in rendering pipelines.

If you're already owner of "Real Materials Complete" or "Real Materials Lite" packages - those new HDRP/Built-in packages are free for you. If not - buy only one Lite package (no matter rendering pipeline) and remaining two will become free to download after that.

Hope those lightweight versions will be useful in prototyping, lightweight and mobile projects.

45. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Very cool, thanks!

46. Lex4art

Lex4art

April flash deals are almost over, but still there are 28 deals left of "Real Materials Complete" package for only about 14$. If somebody needs all materials for a super price - this is a best time to pick them up! )

Upd: all flash deals were sold out.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  47. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

Just picked it up. I will only use a few of them, but they're all of high quality. Your grass texture is still my go to for realistic looking grass.

Lex4art likes this.
  48. QualarWizard

QualarWizard

Just purchased the Real Materials Complete. Where do I download from?

49. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

I downloaded through the Package Manager.

50. Lex4art

Lex4art