Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Randomising/shuffling library

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by andeeeee, Sep 8, 2009.

1. andeeeee

andeeeee

Questions about generating random orderings and choices crop up quite often, so I've put together a library of routines for common randomising tasks. The main functions are for randomly shuffling an array, picking items randomly but with different probabilities, and "choosing without replacement", ie, picking some items from a list without ever getting the same one twice. Follow up this post if you have any questions or suggestions.

To Chaos!

PS - I found a bug in the SampleRemove function which is now fixed and uploaded as of 8 July 2010.

Attached Files:

Orrib and Ali_V_Quest like this.
  2. jmunozar

jmunozar

Wow, awesome!

Thanks, I was thinking in something like this yesterday for a demo I'm making

really thanks!, will give it a try :D

3. bedalowe

bedalowe

Awesomeness! This is great. Thanks Andeeeeeeeeeeee!

4. bedalowe

bedalowe

One question. Is this in C+?

5. andeeeee

andeeeee

It is indeed C#.

6. bedalowe

bedalowe

Hmmm. I'm using JS...Will it be easy for a complete novice to convert the ideas to js do you think? :)

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You don't really need to convert them. It doesn't matter what language this library is written in; the functions are static, so just put the script somewhere like Standard Assets scripts (this way it won't need to be recompiled with your normal scripts), and call the functions as normal.

--Eric

8. Hanankk

Hanankk

so Andeee, how can i access the SampleRemove function from javascript??
    i tried several time but i couldn't,
    could u plz just write a small example for the javascript writers??
    :oops:

9. andeeeee

andeeeee

Firstly, place the Randomness.cs file in your Standard Assets folder to ensure it gets compiled before any JS file. Then, you can call the SampleRemove function like any other function:-
    Code (csharp):
    1. var rangeTop = 10;
    2. var numSamples = 5;
    3. var nums: int[] = RandFuncs.SampleRemove(rangeTop, numSamples);
    The first parameter is the upper end of the range of numbers. This works like Random.Range, so the numbers go from 0 to rangeTop - 1, which is useful for array indices. The second parameter is the number of samples you want from that range. The same sample isn't chosen twice, so the number of samples can't be larger than the range. It's worth noting that the samples will be returned in numerical order - if you want them scrambled, use the Shuffle function on the array afterwards.

Also, I should apologise: I discovered a bug in SampleRemove on looking at it again :oops: I've fixed it now and replaced the old version of the file.

10. Creative

Creative

Thank you andeee.
    I'm going to take a look.

11. we rock

we rock

@andeeee:

I've started with an empty project from scratch (with no standard assets folder) and now i'm confused where should i put this script, to get it compiled first...

Also i receive a warning message which says "Couldn't load the script "Randomness" because its file name doesn't match the class name.
    Please make sure the file name of the script is the same as the class defined inside it.
    "
    am i supposed to modify this Randomness.cs script or should i use it just the way it is?

Thanks a lot

12. Quietus2

Quietus2

We all now know why andeeeeee is so awesome. He's living in the future!

13. tomvds

tomvds

Create an new folder named Standard Assets and put the script in there :p.

The warning message was probably a result of trying to add the script to the scene. If it is just used for its static functions, it should not be necessary to place it in the scene.

On a compltly unrlatd not: plas appricat th ffort going into this post, considring my ky brok.

Ali_V_Quest likes this.
  14. we rock

we rock

Update:

I've renamed Randomness to RandFuncs and also added " : MonoBehaviour " to the public class. i put this RandFuncs script beside my js scripts and called it by:

Code (csharp):
    1. function Start()
    2.     {
    3.         var nums: int[] = GetComponent("RandFuncs").SampleRemove(howManyQuestion, howManyQuestionPick);
    4.         print(nums);
    5.     }
    and i get the following error:

System.Int32[]
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:print(Object) (at C:\builds\unity-trunk\unity\Runtime\Export\Generated\BaseClass.cs:799)
    textLoader:Start() (at Assets\Scripts\question\textLoader.js:88)

any advice is highly appreciated.

15. Chris-Sinclair

Chris-Sinclair

Possibly a stupid question, but did you add the script component to your GameObject?

16. we rock

we rock

yes, i also tested it as a component. the same result... system.int32[]......

17. Chris-Sinclair

Chris-Sinclair

Wait, this is happening on the print call? If you comment out the print, does it still error out?

Also check if the GetComponent("RandFuncs") is null (not sure if that's what you said you tested). And is that the error message? It looks more like just a stack trace. Also try printing a property of the Int32[] array rather than the array itself (such as length, the value at index 0, etc.)

18. we rock

we rock

@ FizixMan:

I really appreciate your help. i managed to solve the mystery by defining the array with "var nums : Array;"... all done. :p

19. andeeeee

andeeeee

See, Max Headroom was only 20 minutes in the future but I'm two days ;-)

Just to recap: you don't need to attach the Randomness script to any object, in fact you won't be able to do that with the script as it is. Just place it in the Standard Assets folder (this is just to make it available to JS code). All functions in that class are static, so you can call them from anywhere without referring to any object.

20. Anim

Anim

I have been looking for a way to shuffle an array of 3 ints but cant seem to get it to work in JS. Can anybody please post an example?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  21. groovfruit

groovfruit

Andee -- hope you're still reading this post.

I'm having trouble using the RandFuncs.SampleRemove function. If i call var nums : int[] = RandFuncs.SampleRemove etc etc... how do I use this in relation to finding a random number/object within my range? Do I do Random.Range first and use that somehow with SampleRemove?? I also want to shuffle my range.

Ech all this random stuff is doing my head in atm >< **

Big thanks

22. KodaL

KodaL

Just found this and it is awesome! Think it will work perfectly for what I need. This should be stickied or something. Took me a long time to find it.

Thanks Andeeee!

23. tex1820

tex1820

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time trying to use a class like this. I put the script into the Standard Assets folder and tried using the Shuffle function:

questionArray = GetComponent("RandFuncs").Shuffle(questionArray);

I am getting a Null Reference Exception. Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

24. andeeeee

andeeeee

You don't need to use GetComponent since the functions are static. If the script is in Standard Assets then you just need to refer to the class name when you call a function:-
    Code (csharp):
    1. RandFuncs.Shuffle(questionArray);

25. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Thanks for sharing!
    Randomize stuff is not easy (had to do it myself), so I'm glad someone is sharing stuff like this.

26. seldom

seldom

There is a problem with the shuffle algorithm used in this library. Even though it does consider all possible permutations, some of them occur more frequently than others. This article explains it in detail.

This modified version returns all permutations with equal frequency:
    Code (csharp):
    2.     // fisher yates shuffle
    3.     static void Shuffle<T>(T[] array)
    4.     {
    5.         T tmp;
    6.         int swapIndex;
    8.         for (int i = array.Length - 1; i > 0; i--)
    9.         {
    10.             // Swap element "i" with a random earlier element or itself
    11.             swapIndex = Random.Range(0, i+1);
    12.             tmp = array[i];
    13.             array[i] = array[swapIndex];
    14.             array[swapIndex] = tmp;
    15.         }
    16.     }
    I know the thread is old, but it's referenced by the scripting FAQ and I just stumbled upon it. So there.

S_Darkwell likes this.