Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Randomation Vehicle Physics, Supports Cars, Bikes, Monowheels, and More

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JustInvoke, Oct 8, 2013.

1. crag

crag

You're right and true enough. I should have ignored the tripe.

*extends hand to shake*

Back on subject, I'm buyin these physics after my current projects are done... way better than mine

2. codenotes

codenotes

I am trying to model a differential drive/skid steer vehicle (think electric wheelchair or bobcat tractor). So you have one axel with 2 independent motors on the wheels, and they might be going in different directions for a pivot turn. The other wheels on the back axel are castor wheels which just go along for the ride and create stability.

Is it possible to model this? Really it is a tank...but not the tank you have modeled, one where drive wheels are not steered, rather just driven at different speeds. Having a little trouble getting this to work.

3. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

My physics aren't the right solution for this. Mainly because wheels can't be driven at different speeds, they are either driven or are not. Also because the wheels cannot freely pivot to follow the rest of the vehicle as casters.

4. ChronoRider

ChronoRider

I've been trying to increase the speed of the monowheel, but when I do, the steering becomes jerky and nearly uncontrollable, the vehicle spazzing left and right,

Is there a proper tutorial to increase the speed of vehicle without them drifting or veering out of control? The vehicles are little too slow for me.

Thanks

5. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

How fast do you need them to go? If you try to make the vehicles drive at very high speeds while turning, they must either slip and drift, or tip over.

You might be able to remedy this by increasing both the sideways friction of the wheels and the center of mass offset on VehicleParent. Lowering the center of mass while increasing the friction could allow vehicles to grip during high speed turns without flipping over.

However this probably won't work on the bike or monowheel, due to their balancing mechanisms.

6. ChronoRider

ChronoRider

I'm trying to recreate hover mechanics that you showcased in one of your videos and the monowheel seemed the easiest to use. It's unfortunate about the balancing mechanisms.

Before Unity 4.5 I had no problems with the Monowheel, it was fast and smooth at increased max speed / gears , but after updating to 4.5 it is jerky on the surface when I turn the gears to 11 and speed up from 60 to around 180-220.

I don't have the program up for reference right now, sorry for any confusion in advance. I cannot go back to Unity 4.4 at the moment which is extremely frustrating.

Still a great asset, hope you guys have another asset coming up/more updates

7. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

I'm not sure what could be causing this, I just tested the monowheel with 11 gears in Unity 4.5 and there was no excessive wobbling at speeds around 250 mph or lower. What changes have you made to try and mimic the old hover mechanics?

8. hamyshank

hamyshank

Any chance of this getting updated for Unity5 ? Or just tell me how :)

I just installed it and I get four errors.

Assets/Randomation Vehicle Physics/Scripts/VehicleParent.js(699,89): BCE0019: 'physicMaterial' is not a member of 'UnityEngine.TerrainData'.

" " (701,106) " "
    " " (1846,120) " "
    " " (1848,136) " "

9. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

This is because of changes to the physics engine. The following code:

Code (csharp):
    1. GetComponent(Terrain).terrainData.physicMaterial.dynamicFriction
    must be changed to:

Code (csharp):
    1. collider.material.dynamicFriction
    However, this is not the only issue RVP has with Unity 5, as changes to the wheel colliders' friction curves cause the vehicles to bounce and fly uncontrollably. I don't know how to go about fixing this, as setting the friction of the wheels to any value other than zero fails to solve the problem.

On the other hand, I've recently began designing a new version of RVP from the ground up for Unity 5, attempting to create my own wheel collider solution while doing so. This will allow me to have complete control over the behavior of the wheels and create an even more flexible system. The scripts will be organized much better, written in C# foremost. (And probably converted back to JS as a secondary option.)

Under these circumstances, I will gradually lessen the support and price of the current version of RVP after the full release of Unity 5 in favor of developing and supporting the new version, which will be a separate asset on the store.

10. hamyshank

hamyshank

That sounds really good!

I would also like to help test it out if that works for you.

11. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

I'll post a demo for testing once I have the basic driving mechanics sorted out, which is at least a few weeks away.

12. SHiLLySiT

SHiLLySiT

Hey there,

We've been using this plugin to develop a multiplayer destruction derby game. However we seem to be getting some weird bounciness when cars collide. Do you have any idea of how to solve this?

13. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

Could you post a video of the issue? Does it only happen between networked cars, or also between offline cars on the same machine?

If it only happens over the network, then I'm not sure I can help since I'm not experienced with online games.

If you haven't already, try checking to see if primitive rigidbodies have the same issues. If that's the case, then it's probably an issue with syncing physics in general over the network.

14. AndyWiltshireNZ

AndyWiltshireNZ

Hiya,

Great script! Just wondering how to disable tires losing traction / grip when you go in reverse. Or in other words, how do I stop from skidding when reversing?

Also, just wondering how to increase the threshold before tire tracks are initially laid when turning (non skidding).

15. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

There's not much you can do besides increasing the side grip on CarWheelColScript of the wheels. Part of the reason it skids is because having the steering wheels on the end of the vehicle opposite of the direction it's traveling causes it to steer sharper. The new separate version of the package will have completely customizable curves for tire friction, making these tweaks easier.

Unfortunately, my computer is currently malfunctioning so I cannot open Unity to help test things or look at code. I will edit this post once I have it fixed, which probably won't be until sometime next week.

16. eridani

eridani

Is it possible to have a more-or-less top-down control scheme (for mobile) where turning a onscreen steering wheel makes the car go in that specific direction? So if top of steering wheel pointing up, car turns and moves north, if top of steering wheel points to the right, car turns and moves east, etc. Here's a great example vid:

Thanks!

17. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

Yes, you would just have to make some sort of PID controller to steer it automatically. Compare the angle of the car to the target direction and have it steer to compensate. The only complex part would probably be cases where the car is stuck against a wall and needs to reverse. Maybe have it where if the target direction is behind the car while it is at a stop, have the car drive in reverse until the target direction is pointed forward again.

18. eridani

eridani

Thanks for the guidance. What is PID?

19. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

A PID controller is basically a system for error correction, such as rotating a rigidbody to face a particular direction using forces.

You can read more about it here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller

20. eridani

eridani

Holy math, batman! Ok I didn't understand most of that article, especially the math theory, but basically I have to make sure the steering doesn't keep over-compensating, causing oscillation... that was my TL;DR takeaway.

21. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

A rough standalone demo of RVP 2.0 is available here. I cannot post a web demo because it's being developed with the Unity 5 beta. The audio only consists of tire screeches and rough engine sounds which will be polished later. Nitrous boosting hasn't been added yet either.

It showcases all of the same vehicles shown in the current version plus a few more, minus the monowheel because the monowheel physics were awkward and seemed unpopular in the current version.

New vehicles:
    • Hover car (hover physics are back)
    • Big rig (truck + trailer combo, towing is supported now)
    • Special car (uses continuously variable transmission instead of a gearbox, and can switch between normal steering, skid steering, and crab steering)
    The wheels use my own alternative to the wheel collider, but still using raycasts. The entire system is modularized with engine, transmission, suspension, and wheel components communicating together. More cars can be active at once since it performs better as well.

The price of the current version has been lowered to $80, I plan on further lowering the price as new milestones are reached.

Future milestones:
    • Stunt detection (done)
    • Basic chasing/waypoint following AI (done)
    • Damage system + suspension movement (Not sure if this will happen)
    Milestones will be refined as it develops.

For RVP 2.0, presentation is a big focus as I want the cars and driving area to look much nicer. I imagine the gray boxy state of the current version is off-putting to some.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  22. hamyshank

hamyshank

23. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

24. cg_destro

cg_destro

Hey great work, I tested your demo and have some bugs sugestiuons
    - sometimes when you drive over very low geometry car is throw in the sky :/
    - when you jump and place tires on wall you can drive on wall like it is ground :)
    - in motorcycle when jumping I can make barrel roll in air just by turning, using left/ right arrow :) maybe you can limit that and also add that to cars so it could be helpful for not realistic stunts and what not :)

25. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

The reason low geometry such as curbs tosses cars into the sky is because the hard suspension contacts (when the suspension is fully compressed) use capsule colliders. Their round shape causes this to happen. I chose to use capsule colliders because it's nearly impossible to simulate accurate hard contacts using the AddForce functions. I'll look into this more as it develops, but it is possible to disable the creation of these colliders. The only problem with disabling them is that it allows the wheels to clip into the ground. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has a technique to accomplish this.

The issue with vehicles being able to drive on walls is because their centers of mass are too low, and the friction of their tires is too high. I've fixed this by raising the center of mass slightly on some vehicles, and adding an adjustable curve to reduce the friction of the tires as the normal of the ground tilts more.

The motorcycle flipping is intentional because the bike in the RVP 1.5 demo can flip, however you can only do flips and wheelies if you have a gamepad using the left stick. I will change this once I polish the input module some more. In the future, I plan on adding a rider to the bike who will lean as you flip. The flip module can be applied to any vehicle, I just chose to disable it on the cars. It's also responsible for leveling out the vehicles automatically.

Also it appears the price reduction on RVP 1.5 has gone through for those who are interested.

26. HakJak

HakJak

I recently purchased your RVP asset for my project and it has proven to be a wonderful purchase. Thank you for putting together such an awesome package and keep up the great work! I’m working on a project that will probably take me the better part of 2015 to complete, but your asset has sped things along significantly!

So far, I’ve been able to get everything to work how I want it to. However, I’m hung up on one thing: how do I implement controller support? I purchased “InControl” from the asset store, but can’t figure out for the life of me how to make it work with RVP. I’ve integrated it to the point where I can call functions from InControl within RVP scripts (such as printing a debug log when I press a specific button on my PS3 controller) but I can’t figure out how to translate that into proper input for RVP.

If you don’t know how to help me in regards to InControl, perhaps you could point me to a better controller support option that you know plays well with RVP? I’m still a newbie, so any help is greatly appreciated!

27. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

It depends on how the input is sent from InControl, does it have to call functions on the scripts which it sends input to? I could send you a modified version of the VehicleParent script where the input is set with function calls. Another option would be to modify the script to fetch input values from the InControl system if they are public.

28. HakJak

HakJak

That would be awesome, and probably something other newbies like me would find helpful! This would also give me the flexibility I need to swap out InControl with something more powerful and flexible after the prototyping stages. (You have my email address, but this may be something useful to include as an alternative script in your asset package.)

It seems that InControl was setup with function calls in mind. Here's an example given on their website:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (InputManager.ActiveDevice.Action1.WasPressed)
    2. {
    3.     player.Jump();
    4. }
    There is a very brief breakdown of the inputs on their website, if this is helpful to you at all in writing the variation of the VehicleParent script: http://www.gallantgames.com/pages/incontrol-getting-started

And here is a pic of their "Standardized Inputs" controller map, if that helps at all either: http://www.gallantgames.com/pages/incontrol-standardized-inputs

Thank you for your help and such a speedy reply!

29. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

I'll go ahead and send you the script with function inputs, and I probably will update the package to use it next time I lower the price.

30. HakJak

HakJak

Wow, thank you for the great customer service!! You are amazing! I'll be sure to leave feedback on this package soon as well... it has been very useful.

31. FissicsPeep

FissicsPeep

I don't think you'll really be able to get around this without using WheelColliders - but as you say, you are having issues with those in Unity 5. WheelColliders will be preferable as they get evaluated as part of the actual physx update (allowing them to resolve correctly when fully compressed etc) where as any forces you apply are outside of the physx update.

I would consider going back and trying to get WheelColliders working again in Unity 5. Capsules and forces will always be hacks that cause side effects like this I think.

32. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

After more tweaks I've managed to get hard contacts working pretty well with AddForce and the velocity change force mode.

Right now I'm putting together a driving area for the demo. Once I have that and the GUI done I'll build a new version.

Suspension movement might come later on, as I've had some trouble making it flexible enough to replicate different types of suspension. Same for the damage system. I will also probably keep the simple gray presentation, because it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend as much time creating models and textures as I am programming the physics when the physics is the main focus of the asset, and because the art assets will go to waste since most people won't use them.

On the other hand I've successfully implemented the stunt detection and some basic AI.

33. FissicsPeep

FissicsPeep

That is good news if you've got it stable then. It would be interesting to know if your implementation of wheels is much faster than using WheelColliders. But I guess you would have to bring that back into Unity 4.x to compare.

34. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

Possibly, it's already quite a bit faster than the old version of RVP, but the old version had to use a secondary raycast for the positioning of the visual wheel on top of the wheel collider's raycast. RVP 2.0 only uses 1 raycast for each wheel to accomplish both of these. The new wheel collider in Unity 5 appears to do the same thing, where it will automatically position the wheel mesh for you. Mine allows you to adjust the camber, caster, and toe of each wheel, I'm not sure if the new wheel collider will let you do that.

According to the profiler, the slowest part of my new physics is the raycasts for the wheels (which is unavoidable), all of the other scripts are a drop in the bucket.

35. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

RVP 2.0 is almost done, I've updated the demo link with a new version featuring a new driving area. All that's left is cleaning up the code, adding comments and converting it to JS, then writing the documentation. Of course I still have to wait until Unity 5 is officially released to publish it.

Feedback is appreciated, so I can make tweaks if necessary. One thing I'm not completely satisfied with this the bike physics, which has some issues. If I can't make them work properly, I might omit them from the asset for the time being.

The price of the old version has been reduced to $60.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  36. AaronClark

AaronClark

Any discount on V2 for V1 owners or would it be best to hold off on buying till V2 is out?

37. andyz

andyz

I like the hover car in that demo - it handles very nicely!
    The other vehicles felt a little bit twitchy and unstable with keys (some fall over a bit too easy).
    Also I like the bikes but they don't work too well on slopes at low speed - they keep trying to face downhill and they lean out from the slope rather than staying vertical when going across a slope.

38. FissicsPeep

FissicsPeep

What do you mean convert it to JS? What language are you writing it in? It would be great if C# was there too.

This demo seems like an improvement, but I think the issues with cars pinging into the air was caused with some of the sharp environment changes in the original demo map. This new map is very smooth and probably a lot more "physics" friendly, where as the original demo map had sudden sharp hills which caused the cars to fly into the air at speed etc.

39. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

I just realized I forgot to include the buttons for manual shifting and boosting in the controls file, I've updated it.

Upshift - H (Keyboard) / RB (Gamepad)
    Downshift - G (Keyboard) / LB (Gamepad)
    Boost - B (Keyboard) / A (Gamepad)

You should hold off, the code is much more organized in the new version. There will be no discount, mainly because I'm not sure how to go about it. The asset store doesn't provide a way to give discounts short of manually lowering the price for everyone or hoping that UT decides to make my asset part of a sale after I sign up to participate.

In order to have a discount like this without using the asset store, customers of the first version would have to both e-mail me their invoice number from the first purchase and pay whatever the discounted price is through something like Paypal. Then I would have to provide a download link, and manually lock it whenever customers aren't downloading. Then if there is an update, I would have to temporarily open up the link again so customers could update, since updating through the asset store wouldn't be an option.

As you can see, things get pretty complicated quickly. I would like to offer this kind of a discount, but it just isn't practical. The new version will not be $100 at launch like the old version was.

Which vehicles fall over too easily? My aim for the new version was to make the vehicles a little more realistic, so it makes sense for a semi truck or double bus to tip over at high speed turns. There are ways to reduce this by lowering the center of gravity of the vehicles and tuning their suspensions differently, but usually at the cost of body roll which looks better. I know there are some rough and low poly spots in the terrain which could be jarring, but I'm reluctant to increase the poly count because it's already above 120k. There may also be some collision issues because it uses mesh colliders, not Unity terrain.

I will try to tweak the bike some more, bike physics in general are difficult to get right.

Edit: I've updated the demo again with improved bike stability.

All of the scripts have been written in C#, I'm going to convert it to JS and provide both in the same asset.

I know the sharp edges are what caused the pinging effect, there are a few curbs in the new terrain. I'll go ahead and add some more sharp obstacles.

Edit: I've updated the demo with some sharp, blocky terrain between the mountain and the mud and ice. The vehicles handle it pretty well for the most part, except the monster truck. The monster truck has to keep the capsule colliders for the suspension because the wheels are outside of the body, and it would otherwise be possible for them to clip into the ground completely under a hard landing on the ground.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  40. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

Just bumping this in case people who were subscribed to the thread did not see the edit updates in the previous post. If there is an absence of feedback over the next few days I'll start wrapping things up.

41. Immu

Immu

Can't wait to buy the unity5 C# version! The demo is pretty impressive and works well.

I haven't check it very precisely, but I assume a multiplayer SplitScreen wouldn't be too hard to add. It's just a matter of look at how the inputs are handled and adapt them for two controllers.

I'm also checking for the ability of the vehicule to continue moving if the car is flipped (considering that the wheels are big enough). I assume, seeing the physic based system of your vehicule, that it shall work without too much modifications.
    ref :

Same thing for having wheels turned like an hovercraft -but still used on the walls-. Might be a bit harder, but again, considering the physics wheel you've got, I might find a way out for that too

Keep up that good work :3

42. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

Unfortunately I've run into more issues with the bike physics, with no clear way to fix them. I might have to omit the vehicle from the asset once it's released, but I might include the balance script for those who want to mess with it.

On the other hand, I've converted all of the scripts to JS, and am in the process of testing everything.

Split screen should be easy to add.

As for that vehicle, I haven't designed the wheels to be able to move around like that. You can at most adjust the camber, caster, and toe angles of each wheel at run time, and how far out to the side the suspension extends.

The wheels only check for collisions along a single raycast, so exposed wheels such as those will not work upside down. You might be able to hack it by having two invisible wheels on top of each other, but it would require some extensive modifications because the scripts assume one visual wheel for each raycast.

I just looked up a video of the vehicle driving, and the way it steers would be very difficult to implement. With the way the wheels and their arms are constantly moving you might be better off designing a custom controller specifically for that vehicle, and rigging the car model so it can be posed easily. The problems I've run into with the bike physics doesn't help either, since this vehicle needs to tilt like a bike at times.

Immu likes this.
  43. Immu

Immu

Okay, no problem, thanks for the detailled reply :cool:
    I'm not afraid to go scripting for those issues. At least you're package will help me to get some kind of basis for my own implementations if I decide to go that way or an other, less complicated. - your idea about the invisible wheels is pretty interesting.

Sad for the biky-thingy though. I would be happy with a balance file, I would be able to mess with it!

Thanks for the fast answer :)

44. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

Here's a link to the final version of the demo.

And here's a link to the documentation of RVP 2.0.

I would appreciate feedback on the documentation about how clear it is. I know it can only make so much sense without the scripts to look at. The scripts have some comments throughout, explaining some of the non-serialized variables and the purposes of certain blocks of code. Most of the variable and method names are self-explanatory. I think I'm going to forgo the online wiki with this one and just bundle the manual with the asset.

This means that RVP 2.0 is basically done, it's just a matter of waiting for Unity 5 to fully release. Once that happens I'll make a trailer and post a web demo.

45. Immu

Immu

Eeh, any chance ton be able to buy it before the release of unity 5 ?
    I mean.. as far as I know, the unity 5 beta can still take several months/years before any official release :/
    I've checked the documentation, so far so good. Apart from the need to get direct links into the table of contents. (indeed, also hard to check without the scripts to look at).

46. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

I suppose I could sell it to you if you insist. I've updated the documentation with page links in the table of contents.

47. FissicsPeep

FissicsPeep

I saw the Waffle Kart Physics Preview video on your site. It's awesome! I'm curious though, (excluding the flying etc.) how much of the kart handling was done just by plugging in values to RVP, and how much was bespoke code for Waffle Kart? The handling in that physics preview seems a lot more arcadey than I've seen in your demos and the kart sticks to the ground a lot. I'm just wondering how much of that RVP provides out of the box. Cheers!

48. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

The kart physics were built up from scratch, no RVP whatsoever.

49. HakJak

HakJak

I recently bought your current version of RVP. Will it work with Unity 5?

Also, will your new package have bike and mono wheel vehicles soon? They are must-haves for my game. Thanks!

50. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

Now that Unity 5 is officially released I'm going to take steps towards submitting RVP 2.0.

It will not work with Unity 5, sorry. The new wheel colliders completely break the friction model of the tires.

Bikes and monowheels are not fully supported in the new version. There is a balancing script included for those who want to tweak it but it's unstable and won't be advertised as a feature.