Search Unity

[Updated] Daedalus - Random Dungeon Generator for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AXXE78, Mar 15, 2013.

1. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Rocki it's for our project but if it come out ok and they have not made this in the kit I may share it.

2. PsychoG

PsychoG

Hey! Im scouting out possible dungeon generators for my rpg and this one being recently released interested me. Is there a way to make enemies and items spawn in different rooms randomly? Or at least some code to enable me to do that? The biggest thing holding my game back is creating levels D: So i would love something this!

3. AXXE78

AXXE78

Daedalus has been updated to v1.0.0.

Now with FULL 3D generation! Create mazes, dungeons, towers and multi-floor buildings with ease!

$cca9785d-dae2-41e9-bf88-47491d8af088_scaled.jpg

$53c8d8f0-79ef-4eba-9319-2a475a08c22f_scaled.jpg

$5e250062-13a3-4705-8c7a-7836f4dda5f3_scaled.jpg

$3daeffc2-0b0b-4a1d-9727-b544dc561125_scaled.jpg

$001b4d26-0a52-4e6e-be36-83841127b255_scaled.jpg

4. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

This is Totally Awesome. Crazy Wicked Stuff.
    Downloading now!

Cheers.

5. AXXE78

AXXE78

Hi, yes, you have full access via code for items/enemy spawning. There are a couple examples in the docs: Link

6. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Can you make a video on the new update. And maybe one on spawning items/enemies please.

7. AXXE78

AXXE78

Yes, we'll release some videos on the new features and maybe one for the scripting.

8. FractalCore

FractalCore

I'm really enjoying the generator. Just one thing I'm having trouble with. I can't get it to NOT use the blue default "RoomFloor" object.

You can see in the picture I've replaced it with my "Factory_RoomFloor" object but it keeps using the default one anyway. The blue floors should look like the grey floors.

I just tried some more variations and it only seems to do it when the map size is too small for the amount and size of room I'm telling it to generate.

$Untitled-1.jpg

9. AXXE78

AXXE78

Looks like you spotted a bug! We're having a closer look and will keep you updated.

10. AXXE78

AXXE78

The bug is fixed. New version of Daedalus in a few days. Thank you very much for your feedback!

11. LoDx

LoDx

Hi,
    Just bought the asset.
    However, running into these error when I generate the dungeon :-

any idea on fixing it ? or maybe it's due to the asset is not yet support Unity4.5 ? ( I'm using unity 4.5 )

So, questions :-
    1. Unity 4.5 support ETA ?
    - I read at http://daedalus.userecho.com/topic/454004-help/ that new version is in the work, ready soon ?

2. support for Mobile ( Android ) ? is it optimized ? or it should just work fine ?

Awaiting your kind reply.
    Thanks

12. AXXE78

AXXE78

Hi LoDx,

thank you for your feedback!

1. We already have a new version ready; off course it supports 4.5. Please allow a few days for some more testing and then it will be online on the AssetStore

2. It is optimized, it generates really fast (with reasonably big maps), but it really depends on the graphic asset you use

13. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Any new updates? Have you guys tested this with multiplayer at all?

14. AXXE78

AXXE78

Fixing a couple of bugs with the new features, but we're close.

We tested it with multiplayer, just passing a seed between clients, and it works. Do you have any other specific request about multiplayer?

15. The Painter

The Painter

AXXE78,
    could you give me a hint where to research on how to integrate various objects (enemies, items, etc.) when using your mapgeneration on runtime?
    I'm interested in using it for a 2d top-down rpg with roguelike elements and am wondering how to place stuff like ingame-currency or powerups in a random generated world.
    Thanks in advance,
    Oainter

16. AXXE78

AXXE78

Hi, you can have a look at the docs, in particular the scripting reference, here. There are some methods you can use to get all the room floors (for example), and use those to randomly spawn powerups, treasure chests, etc.

Let me know if you need to know anything else.

The Painter likes this.
  17. AXXE78

AXXE78

The new version is taking a little bit longer, so for anyone using Unity 4.5, here is a quick fix that should make Daedalus work with Unity 4.5: GenericChoiceDrawer.cs

Download the script ad overwrite it in the Editor folder.

18. AlexSledge

AlexSledge

Looks great! Question for you...

Do you have any plans to provide integration with the SECTR tools? http://www.sectr.co/complete.html

I know there's another similar tool which integrates with SECTR VIS, which is somewhat handy.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  19. AXXE78

AXXE78

Yes, we got other requests like yours. We plan to have a look into it for next updates.

20. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

We wanted integration for PlyGames and RPG 2 Kit. But TonyLi i think is looking to making third party support for your kit. If he does that will solve it for both kits. However for your own app you might want to look into those two for those who do not use the Dialog system.

21. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

Any update on when the 4.5 version will be released?

22. AXXE78

AXXE78

Submitting it today itself.

23. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Awesome. Thanks for all the hard work.

24. Tee_Pee

Tee_Pee

Heya,

Does the new version address the "corridors being generates first" issue?

25. AXXE78

AXXE78

That's not an issue, it's how the current algorithm works. Others may be implemented in future versions.

26. Tee_Pee

Tee_Pee

Well what I meant was whether or not the room-first one was implemented in this version? I was under the impression that was the intention?

27. AXXE78

AXXE78

Yep, that's on our to-do list, though I can't say if it will be made in that way ("room-first") or with different algorithms we are looking into.

28. Alienmadness

Alienmadness

Had 2 questions
    1. I noticed someone asked about enemy/monster and powerups, etc. and in the docs it's not currently supported?
    "At this stage, Daedalus only creates game levels, it does not take care of decorating them or populating them with enemies, power-ups, etc., though you can add all these things in pre-built tiles and you can even extend Daedalus to make it do whatever you need (full source code is provided with the package)."

2. last update was in april, do you expect to release an updated version and any new features, like the stuff mentioned in question 1.
    Thanks

29. AXXE78

AXXE78

Hi Alienmadness,

1. there is still no "click and go" way to spawn enemy, monsters, power-ups, items, etc., but it's quite trivial to do via code, you can find a couple of examples in the docs (Scripting section)

2. the updated version is on its way to the AssetStore review; there are some bug fixes and nice new features some users asked for (directional walls for both Standard Maps and TileMaps, "fake 3D" maps, customizable entrance/exit distance, etc.)

30. Matt Ingle

Matt Ingle

Just purchased - Created a new empty project - Imported Daedalus. Immediately got the following error
    Assets/Daedalus_Core/Editor/Daedalus_Editor/GenericChoiceDrawer.cs(9,31): error CS0161: `GenericChoiceDrawer.GetPropertyHeight(UnityEditor.SerializedProperty, UnityEngine.GUIContent)': not all code paths return a value
    Unity 4.5.2f1 - Windows 7 64 bit
    Not looking good as I cannot even view the samples. - What's wrong
    Matthew

31. AXXE78

AXXE78

1. Follow this post: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/random-dungeon-generator-for-unity.174147/page-3#post-1669950, just download the GenericChoiceDrawer.cs file and overwrite it in the Editor folder (important!)

2. Make sure you are not trying to add the wrong script. Open the example scenes and test those first. Let us know if you run in any problem.

32. AXXE78

AXXE78

Version 1.0.7 was sent to the AssetStore review earlier today. Some new features:

- Unity 4.5+ support
    - "Fake 3D" Maps
    - Directional Walls/Perimeter
    - Customizable Entrance/Exit Distance
    - Custom Prefabs in 2D Tiles

Daedalus_Shot00.jpg

Here's another feature the users asked for and which is currently under development: entire rooms used as tiles and automatically connected:

TestRooms.png

33. hike1

hike1

Is the 1.07 version going to have ladder/elevator scripts? Are there docs for implementing your doors? It
    looks like I'd add the door mesh and animate it, then add 1 of your door scripts.

34. eridani

eridani

35. hike1

hike1

Is the 1.07 version going to have ladder/elevator scripts? Are there docs for implementing your doors?
    unquote

Erm, 1.0.0 actually does and they work, I loaded the 'fantasy multi-storey' scene. My player is 3 unity cubes high, so I scaled the dungeon 1.5x, for plygame I
    had to add the scene to the build settings and update the language screen to
    load this scene, add camera, delete the default player, it's looking good.

AXXE78 likes this.
  36. AXXE78

AXXE78

37. negativecap

negativecap

Wondering if I could use this asset with a 'cave' tileset (I could make it myself, but am curious about the specs to make it work with Daedalus). IE could I make a set of cave straight, angle, crossroad, dead-end, etc. 'tiles' and have Daedalus put them together randomly into a maze? I would also want to set the start and end locations so that I could enter and exit said caves. It seems like the algorithm is keen on proper floors is why I ask. Thanks!

38. AXXE78

AXXE78

Yep, absolutely. You can create a set of directional tiles (straight, curve, T-junction, cross, ecc.) and Daedalus will lay them down in a random map. Also, you can specify Entrance/Exit tiles, which can have their own prefab tiles with anything you need in them, and in the newer version you can also specify the distance between Entrance/Exit tiles!

39. hike1

hike1

I upgraded 1.00 to 1.07, got this
    Assets/Daedalus_Core/Scripts/Generation/VirtualMapGenerator.cs(5,13): error CS0101: The namespace `global::' already contains a definition for `MazeGenerationAlgorithmChoice'

line 5 is next
    public enum MazeGenerationAlgorithmChoice {HuntAndKill, RecursiveBacktracker}

public class VirtualMapGenerator

I upgraded it in another project and didn't get this error

40. hike1

hike1

Never mind, I deleted the Daedalus Core folder and re-imported 107, no errors

41. MakeCodeNow

MakeCodeNow

If you want to do a SECTR integration, email support@makecodenow.com and I'll send you a license and will answer whatever questions you have.

42. kilik128

kilik128

for vis it's can be amazing i have send mail MakeCodeNow he say me go out ...

But have Big Problem not Working any more on Android
    it's happen already on version 1.0 i send mail about it
    and it's make the same on 1.07

anyone got solution ? scene just not running you can try with sample

43. AXXE78

AXXE78

You should provide some more info...

44. kilik128

kilik128

the only think's i can say i'am suprised to be first to get this think's
    i have make logcat with no succes if someone can try please
    for see what's happen

45. AXXE78

AXXE78

We have tested Daedalus with iOS, Android and WP8, no problems so far. Try creating a fresh new project, import ONLY Daedalus package and build for Android.

46. kilik128

kilik128

i have test when i pass on android

nvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
    System.Collections.Stack.Peek () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections/Stack.cs:321)
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.EndLayoutGroup () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/aeedb04a1292f85a/artifacts/EditorGenerated/GUILayoutUtility.cs:223)
    UnityEngine.GUILayout.EndVertical () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/aeedb04a1292f85a/artifacts/EditorGenerated/GUILayout.cs:266)
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.ActiveBuildTargetsGUI () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/aeedb04a1292f85a/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindow.cs:1059)
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.OnGUI () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/aeedb04a1292f85a/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindow.cs:1147)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/aeedb04a1292f85a/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:241)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/aeedb04a1292f85a/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:234)
    UnityEditor.HostView.OnGUI () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/aeedb04a1292f85a/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:126)

black screen after run on mobile excatly same think's with ONLY Daedalus package

47. kilik128

kilik128

sorry to say that's but it's working when deadelus script as be removed form scene
    so it's not comming from my projet

48. AXXE78

AXXE78

We'll have a look

49. kilik128

kilik128

Thank's waiting new's

/ Note: tileSize must be equal to wallSize+columnSize
    when i try change is automaticly resested by default value

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  50. AXXE78

AXXE78

Here's a video showing a default installation of Daedalus:

we just opened the runtime example scene and built for Android. As you can see, everything is working fine, so your problem must be something else.