Search Unity

RagNimator!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by AthosK, Sep 4, 2014.

1. AthosK

AthosK

ragNimation
    the new advanced ragdoll system for Unity 3D and Mecanim!

v.1.1 Now Available!

Asset Store link:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/21694

What does it do?
    Tired of your ragdolls just falling down like a sack of potatoes? Me too! That's why we made ragNimation!
    Make your ragdolls play an animation while they are falling down!

watch the introduction video

Features
    • Simple UI with minimal code required!
    • Mix animations with your ragdolls!
    • High performance! Ragdolls are only used when they are needed!
    • Blend between different ragNimations!
    • Blend from ragNimations, to full body ragdolls to complete animations with just 3 lines of code!
    • Multiple ragdoll masks give you endless possibilities!
    • Support for ragdolls with up to 19 bones!
    • Ragdoll only the parts you want!

FAQ:
    Q:
    Do I need a special kind of animations for this?
    A: No! You can use any animation you want!

Q: Does it work on every rig?
    A: At the moment it works only for humanoid rigs.

Q: How easy is it to set up?
    A: Simple as it can be! These are the steps you need to do:
    1. Create a ragdoll​
    2. Create a ragdoll mask through our UI​
    3. Drop a script on your character​
    4. Code when you want it to happen​

our Ragdoll Mask

simply select the bones you want to animate when you call the ragdoll

Here's a video with the basics on how to set up ragNimation

As you can see, in under 6 minutes you can have two different instances with no sweat at all!
    If you already have a ragdoll this time is cut in half!

Web Demo
    http://dwcrew.com/ragnimator/

v1.1
    Integration with a Third Person Character Controller

Web Demo:
    http://dwcrew.com/ragnimator/thirdpersoncharacter/

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    RavenOfCode and Danirey like this.
  2. Max_Damage

Max_Damage

Looks great. Sign me up

Danirey and AthosK like this.
  3. Danirey

Danirey

Good Job!!!

You have one happy customer right now! :)

AthosK likes this.
  4. AthosK

AthosK

Thanks mate! :)

5. mathias234

mathias234

Looks good

AthosK likes this.
  6. ZJP

ZJP

Nice. Bookmarked. :cool:

AthosK likes this.
  7. FBTH

FBTH

Haha really nice, I'm still trying to look for one that can do ragdolls for animals :/

But I havent seen any that can, so it's still cool! :)

AthosK likes this.
  8. AthosK

AthosK

Hi there! You can make custom ragdolls for animals, just add colliders on the bones and character joints. Usually you don't see them because of the unique anatomy of every animal so it's not wise to make something universal.

FBTH likes this.
  9. Max_Damage

Max_Damage

Do you have an Idea on price yet ?

10. FBTH

FBTH

Ah! haha thank you! :D

11. AthosK

AthosK

It will cost about $50.

12. AthosK

AthosK

Here's a video with the basics on how to set up ragNimation

As you can see, in under 6 minutes you can have two different instances with no sweat at all!
    If you already have a ragdoll this time is cut in half!​

Danirey likes this.
  13. Danirey

Danirey

Nice!
    Good job man! I can't wait to use it! :p

Cheers!

AthosK likes this.
  14. janpec

janpec

Ragdoll solution released just when i need it. Hoping for price around 20-40 bucks. In any case thanks, especially for simplicity.

15. AthosK

AthosK

Later today we will submit it to the asset store so it won't be long till you can liven up your ragdolls!

Meanwhile here is the web demo to see it live
    http://dwcrew.com/ragnimator/

Danirey likes this.
  16. Danirey

Danirey

Hi nasoukikos!

Is it possible to set the duration of the transition between ragdoll and animation? I mean for smooth a bit the arms and legs movement if they don't match the position of the stand up animation exactly...

17. AthosK

AthosK

Yes, in the code you can set how fast you want to blend from a ragdoll to animation, just like you would use animator.crossfade!

18. Danirey

Danirey

Great! Thanks!
    How much we'll have to wait to use this awesomeness???? :p

Cheers!

AthosK likes this.
  19. AthosK

AthosK

It's up to them now :p

Danirey likes this.
  20. Danirey

Danirey

Nothing yet?:oops:

AthosK likes this.
  21. randerline

randerline

Any news regarding a release date?

22. AthosK

AthosK

Hi there!
    It's already been submitted to the asset store since last week so it can't be too long until it's authorized.

23. rxmarccall

rxmarccall

Does this work with 2D skeletons? If not, will it be supported in the future? There is very little support for 2D ragdolls at the moment =(

24. AthosK

AthosK

Hi!
    It's only for humanoid rigs at the moment. We have lots of plans for it in the future but they are still in the drawing board.

25. AthosK

AthosK

26. AthosK

AthosK

Doing tests for generic rigs, more on that later...

27. AthosK

AthosK

28. Danirey

Danirey

Nice demo!

;)

AthosK likes this.
  29. AthosK

AthosK

30. Coder_lab

Coder_lab

Hi nasoukikos! I am interested in ragnimator and considering purchasing it, but first I would like to know more about its blending feature. As I understanding it, there is code provided to adjust the duration of the transition from ragdoll to mecanim and vice versa. Would it be possible with your current implementation to 'mimic' the mecanim animation by constantly enabling/disabling blending with a fast duration?

Edit: Also, in the trailer video, it seems that when a limb is set to change from mecanim to ragdoll, the limb suddenly changes position before going limp (specifically at 0:37) - which seems quite jarring and breaks the illusion of a unified skeletal animation. Is this due to a fast blend time or something else?

Best regards,
    Nameis

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  31. AthosK

AthosK

Hi there!
    As it is, the humanoid body parts that you set in ragNimator are following the mecanim animation, including its transitions. This part is depicted in the web demo in the ragNimator enabled ragdoll that is hanged and in the trailer video at around 0:45. Is this the functionality that you are asking about?

Regarding the mecanim to ragdoll change, the pose that the model has before switching it to ragdoll makes the collider of the upper and lower arm to be inside each other and they intersect with the collider of the body, thus it appears to pop when the switch happens. It's the same like having two kinematic rigidbodies with their colliders intersecting each other and enabling physics, Unity will make this object jump out of place. On an armature this can be solved by making the colliders smaller or making it play a different animation which doesn't make the colliders touch each other and then making it a ragdoll.

32. Coder_lab

Coder_lab

Thanks for responding! Sorry for the late reply myself. I am sorry I was not clear about my expectations. I would like to have the ragdoll following the mecanim animation (all body parts have colliders at all times). Other assets on the store that provide this 'mimic' feature are AnimFollow and Biped, but as of yet I have not had any success in doing so in either of these tools, which is why I am asking here. I would like to experiment with this to make more reactive and procedurally driven animations. It sounds like your asset could possibly provide this functionality.

From your response about the mecanim to ragdoll change, my fears about jerky transitions are completely alleviated :)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  33. AthosK

AthosK

Can you please expand on more reactive and procedurally driven animations? I'm curious... :)

It's not very efficient to keep the ragdoll always on, although you can easily do it by having a ragdoll mask with all parts selected, but why have it enabled when it's not needed? You already have the colliders of the ragdoll so you can script it to trigger the ragdoll on collision with other objects and while you are at it have it play a response animation at the same time, like this

timstamp at 1:25

34. Coder_lab

Coder_lab

Sure thing! Here's the elevator pitch for the game I intend to make:

game x is a third person action game about creating procedural animations for your character. Trapped in an underground laboratory teeming with monsters, you must survive long enough to reach the surface despite the bloodthirsty and crazed opposition around you. Someone throw a spear at you? Catch it and throw it back. Or dodge it and let it hit the guy creeping up behind you. Or use it to pole vault into a better position. Or mess up and get impaled and die. By mixing and matching traditional animations with your own procedural creations, you will become the beating heart of a truly dynamic and flowing combat situation.

So essentially I want the player to be able to pause the game, decide what they want their character to do next, and 'animate' it via IK handles. When the player resumes playing, the character will attempt to move from their original pose to the one they have specified beforehand. The thing is, this will only be remotely cool and useful IF the character can do this while reacting to its environment with physics. It would allow the player a near infinite variety of 'moves' and create potential for interesting scenarios to occur in game. The functionality I am after apparently exists in the other assets I mentioned, but they are (as you can imagine) quite complex to get working.

Gekigengar likes this.
  35. AthosK

AthosK

Cool idea!
    However I'm not sure ragNimator can help you implement that specific functionality. For the ragdoll to take place we disable the animator so you won't be able to use IK there. RagNimator requires a mecanim animation in order to animate parts of the ragdoll (or all of it).

Hope I was helpful!

36. Coder_lab

Coder_lab

Thank you for your reply, it was very helpful, I understand now!

AthosK likes this.
  37. AthosK

AthosK

We are working on something just in case you need to make a game out of your drunk uncle in the holidays or something like that.

Still a WIP

38. AthosK

AthosK

Coming very soon, support for Generic Rigs!

Watch them in action here

39. AthosK

AthosK

The new update is live! Now you can animate your generic rig ragdolls!

FBTH likes this.
  40. AthosK

AthosK

take a look at the feature in 26:40 of course we already know how to do this in Unity, aren't we? ;)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  41. AthosK

AthosK

Ragnimator is now Unity 5 ready, more features soon!

42. datadebaser

datadebaser

hi i'm having trouble with the ragdoll->mecanim transition. during ragdoll, sometimes the hip-joint of the character drifts away far from the parent-root-node of the character. when i transition back to mecanim, the mecanim thinks the character is at the parent-root-node, and the body snaps back to the parent-root-node position. is there a way to make sure the ragdoll->mecanim transition always happens where the body (hip-joint) is in world space?

43. AthosK

AthosK

Hi! Can you please email us at support@dwcrew.com with the following:
    • How do you ragdoll your character?
    • Do you use ragnimator?
    • Can you post the method that you are using?
    • Which version of Unity are you using and which version of ragNimator?
    And if it's possible, send us a project with this behaviour so that we can take a look at it

44. AthosK

AthosK

45. twobob

twobob

Picked this up.
    Looks like it could be fun.

Thanks

Can I ask (since it appears to be dll based) what it the best course of action for support.
    We generally would never buy a closed-code product - however it just so happens we need this functionality for a title right now.

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  46. AthosK

AthosK

47. hoodoo

hoodoo

Just purchased! I don't know anything about using ragdolls in a game, so it wil be a learning experience. In my current game which is almost done I have legacy animations on the player and enemy NPCs - I just use static death animations but this causes enemies to sometimes fall down inside the walls with just their feet sticking out. Not sure if I can use this with legacy animation characters, but if not I will use in my next game. Any advice on this?

48. AthosK

AthosK

Is there a particular reason you want to use legacy animations? Generic rigs are pretty much an extension of the legacy animation system so that it can use mecanim without the retargeting benefits of the humanoid rig. You won't be able to animate the ragdoll since it relies upon mecanim though, so you'll also won't be able to blend from ragdoll to animation state also.

If it's only the animation to ragdoll part you need I have a video for that in my tutorial channel, check it out

Let me know if you need anything else :)

hoodoo likes this.
  49. twobob

twobob

Hi mate. We own this, How do we "Rewind" back to full animations after implementing a "Full Ragdoll" moment?

Much obliged.

50. AthosK

AthosK

Hey there!
    You'll need to call the .RagdollBlendToAnimation(string animationName, float timer,
    bool matchRotation, RagnimatorFinishCallback finishCallback) method. For a more comprehensive explanation please refer to the manual at page 8. You can also look at the provided examples.

Sorry for the late reply, the forum's notification system doesn't like me much for some reason. You can contact us at support@dwcrew.com for everything else you need and we reply as soon as possible.

Cheers!