Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[v2.0 soon] Racing Game Starter Kit - Easily create racing games!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ian094, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Ian094

Ian094

Happy New Year everyone!:)

v1.0.8 is in the works and should be live in about 2 weeks.

Thanks.

2. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

Whats new in v1.08?

3. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Actually it would be nice if you modified the input system so that all of the input was in one file (like UFPS does). Then allow we can override the input system completely using Rewired without having to modify your asset's source code each time we update.

Adventure Creator just made some modifications so it can work with various input systems too (in this case it was also Rewired).
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ad...nture-games-demo-video-website.204414/page-22 (see msg 1090)

4. androleocez

androleocez

How to create minimap with EasyRoads3D race track?

5. Ian094

Ian094

Well, there's quite a few things lined up for v1.0.8. I'm currently working towards getting solid motorbike physics and a replay system.

Thanks, I'll look into this and see what I can do.

You would have to duplicate the track, put it in the "Minimap" layer and assign the minimap material to the duplicate track. Afterwards, simply drag the minimap camera to your scene and position it accordingly.
    Here's a short video on how to set up a minimap :

Thanks

androleocez likes this.
  6. Treacle-Games

Treacle-Games

Hi
    happy new year, Thanks for a fantastic assets it has saved be hours of work and love it. Just having an issue with getting my PC (xbox) controller to use different buttons to the top left Joystick, would like power on right bottom button and brake/reverse on the left one. As well as re map the C and V keys. I know this is probably a basic change but i very new to this software.

once again thank for a great asset.

7. Ian094

Ian094

Hi, thank you for your support!

To use an Xbox controller, you would have to tweak the input manager then change the input keys in the PlayerControl.cs script to match these inputs.

I've actually never tried using an Xbox controller in Unity before so I don't think I can be of much help at the moment.

However, I think this will help you in setting up the inputs for your controller :

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nathalievan...-input-in-unity-using-xbox360-controller.aspx

I think this video will help too :

Thanks.

8. androleocez

androleocez

Setup New car with Car Setup Wizard.
    Add car into level
    Add car to Player car in Player Car settings
    Constrol set to desktop
    Start the Game and:
    - the car does not go
    - If opponent hit my car - car slowly run and wheels spinning, but then stop again.
    - After few seconds console have some messages

A game object can only be in one layer. The layer needs to be in the range [0...31]
    UnityEngine.GameObject:set_layer(Int32)
    RaceManager:ChangeLayer(Transform, String) (at Assets/RacingGameStarterKit/Scripts/Race/System/RaceManager.cs:485)
    <Respawn>c__Iterator2:MoveNext() (at Assets/RacingGameStarterKit/Scripts/Race/System/RaceManager.cs:477)
    UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
    RaceManager:RespawnRacer(Transform, Transform, Single) (at Assets/RacingGameStarterKit/Scripts/Race/System/RaceManager.cs:466)
    OpponentControl:CheckIfStuck() (at Assets/RacingGameStarterKit/Scripts/Vehicle/Car/OpponentControl.cs:270)
    OpponentControl:Update() (at Assets/RacingGameStarterKit/Scripts/Vehicle/Car/OpponentControl.cs:68)

What i doing wrong?

PS. I install and unistall Edy's Physics. Maybe bug with this asset?

9. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

This is because of the Layer setup in your project.

Please check out this video :

What problems are you having with EVP?

androleocez likes this.
  10. androleocez

androleocez

Ha! This is not EVP. I tried Randomation Vehicle Physics 2.0 and this asset made changes in Layers and Tags.

Attached Files:

11. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

When I first started using Unity I ran into this very same problem of using a XBOX-360 controller on PC. I found my first solution on a university website. This the reason why I use Rewired for all of my input handling. This is another good reason to have all of the input handling in a separate file that can be easily overridden so people can use alternative input handling systems without touching the source code.

Allow all of the input handling on a game controller in addition to the keyboard like this user wants to do is basically the same thing I am doing. Except I am using Rewired.

12. toto2003

toto2003

hello, i didnt use your asset for a while and was wondering if the AI can got uphill downhill on the latest version? especially having easyroad asset that would be a nice mix with your asset.
    cheers

13. Ian094

Ian094

Yeah, I'll look into making a custom input manager. It would definitely make input a lot easier to manage. I'll try adding this in v1.0.8

Thanks.

Well, I've still gotten a few complaints about this issue. I'm working on improving the physics for the upcoming version so it should be fixed soon. Meanwhile, adding a higher forward friction stiffness to your wheel colliders and a higher boost value should fix it. I actually set up some karts a while ago and them do a loop with no issues.

14. egem2015

egem2015

Hi Ian

I tried your suggestions about higher forward friction stiffness and higher boost value but there is no chance. It did not work.when i added the things you suggested my cars was shaking so bad and they did not move on the ramps.my ramp's slope is about 45 % . i hope you can find a solution.

i wonder how much slope are your car physics supporting?

and

is motorcycle physics ready in 1.0.8?

thanks in advance.

15. Ian094

Ian094

Hey,

I'll find a solution to this physics issue and include it in the next version. I suppose the car physics can allow for 30° angle normally.

Motorcycle physics is nearly done, it still needs some further tweaks. It will be included in v1.0.8

Thanks.

16. androleocez

androleocez

Intense_Gamer94
    Do you planning support suspension in Car Setup Wizard?

17. Ian094

Ian094

Yes, I do plan on extending the wizard to support a wider range of settings to make vehicle configuration a lot more easier & faster.

androleocez likes this.
  18. Atzig

Atzig

45 is a really steep angle, you wouldn't be able to walk up that, in real life, without trouble let alone drive up it. Chances are your car collider is hitting the ramp before your wheel colliders causing it to crash / stop altogether. I use 15 or so and it works fine. I've also had issues with using a box collider trying to hit jumps, use mesh colliders on your car if you can.

19. Treacle-Games

Treacle-Games

Hi
    Many thanks for your reply managed to get it sorted, however I have noticed a couple of other issues.
    1) on running my game the lap counter skips lap two jumping to 3 also I can't run any more than 2 laps even if I change the race manager.
    2) when i change the opponent cars in the race manager then save the scene with out running it first it loses the content, it will only save the data if I run the scene first before moving to a different scene.

many thanks again for your help

Mark

20. Ian094

Ian094

Hey,

Does your car have multiple colliders attached? Please check and let me know. I think that the OnTriggerEnter function is being called multiple times.

Do you have "LoadRacePreferences" checked in the race manager and an active DataLoader? The DataLoader may be overwriting the current lap value.

Some race types such as lap knockout have preset laps depending on how many racers there are.

I suppose that you are using Unity 5.3.0 or 5.3.1
    This is basically an minor issue with custom inspectors that doesn't mark the scene as modified whenever you make changes to the custom inspectors which means that the scene can't be saved. I've fixed it though so no worries. I will send you a version of the RaceManagerEditor.cs script that will work normally.

Thanks.

21. Max1982

Max1982

If you want to add something in future - maybe cop pursuit with police car/

22. wolfy2

wolfy2

Hi mate.
    Awesome asset.
    I'm having difficulties however..
    I want my players car to be transered from other scene with destruction system i implemented and current demage.
    The system thats now in progress is using a clone of a player car prefab and not an actual object i'm transferring from other scene. In any other cases the race does not work properly (lap stuck on 0 and position behaves wierd).
    How should i proceed?.

23. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

I'm not entirely sure what the issue could be here.

Do you get any errors in the console?

24. wolfy2

wolfy2

Not that are relevant to the problem.. The thing is that you need to instantiate player car for the race to start properly.. otherwise it's not starting at all.. You could simulate the problem by putting player car at the start line on hierarchy on the scene and start the race.. i would like that car to be player car.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  25. Ian094

Ian094

This is mainly because of script execution order.

In the Statistics.cs and ProgressTracker.cs scripts move all functions in Awake() and OnEnable() to a Start() function.

In ProgressTracker.cs, comment out the line :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. progressDistance = -Vector3.Distance(transform.position,GetComponent<Statistics>().path[0].position);
    In the Race Manager, comment out SpawnRacers() from the Initialize() function so that spawning wont be handled. Call the countdown routine and other methods so your code looks like this at the bottom of the Initialize() function :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ConfigureNodes();
    2. RankManager.instance.RefreshRacerCount();
    3. StartCoroutine(Countdown(countdownDelay));
    4. //SpawnRacers();
    You should be able to use the kit as normal without instantiating racers.

Thanks.

26. wolfy2

wolfy2

That did the trick.. U're awesome... thanks

Ian094 likes this.
  27. Ian094

Ian094

Hi everyone,

The replay system is up & running. Some additional features added to it are fast forward, rewind & pause.

Here's a short video showcasing the replay system :

Motorbike physics are also working properly, I'll probably upload a video showcasing them too.

I'm still working on making a few more improvements to the kit so this version won't be submitted for another few days.

Thanks.

androleocez and elijahrockshout like this.
  28. egem2015

egem2015

Hi Ian

thanks for great news and your new system looks like great.

i wonder if can i use your replay system in my other games?

i mean can your replay system integrate to any other games easily?

thanks again for your great efforts.

29. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Yeah, the replay system would actually be easy to use with other games.

All it does is record all positions/rotations when the "record" bool is set to true. Then plays them back when the "play" bool is set to true. It's a pretty simple system but works well. Functions such as fast forward, rewind & pause are easily added too - Just link a UI button or Key to it's corresponding function.

Some minor tweaks would have to be made to it to fully integrate with different game genres though.

Thanks for your support.

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

Subscribing to thread.

Ian094 likes this.
  31. Max1982

Max1982

Could you add option to create own menu selection (not only car selection or Track selection, but for example garage)? Let developer create own windows in menu manager. I tried to do it (modified script) but there were a lot of bugs and errors.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  32. Ian094

Ian094

Hey,

Sure, I'll look into improving the menu system for v1.0.8

What features would you like to see in the menu system?

33. Max1982

Max1982

So:
    1)In track selection add:
    -if the player win the race - unlock next track and earn cash (money)

(Currency, Reward & Unlock system- found in your asset features, but I didnt found tutorials how to use it)

2)add garage in Menu:
    -there will be cars which the player bought in Car Selection,
    - in garage add e.g. car selection 2. In resource folder will be cars (with different colours/parts) which the player may buy.

But

If you dont know how to do it, please, in car selection add one more arrow (e.g. above the car - there could be cars with different parts/colours in resource folder), I added example picture in post earlier

3) changing background scene in menu Car Selection and Track Selection when the player click "car selection" button, or "track selection"
    For example: I tried to use Onlick with camera object and Transform.lookAt but it doesnt work well.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  34. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

how' v1.0.8 coming along?

35. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Looking forward to the new replay system.

36. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

v1.0.8 should be submitted sometime this week.

Sorry for the delay.

37. Umesh00

Umesh00

Hi,

Just purchased your asset last week and really like it. Would you be kind enough to add below features in future versions:

- Garage scene with paint and other options
    - multiplayer using UNET/Forge
    - IAP
    - Fuel systems and more cool rewards
    - IK animations for the driver in the car
    - Optional characters/selection system
    - Arcade style races

Thanks

38. Ian094

Ian094

Hi,

Thanks for you support. I saw your review.

I will add all those features to my TODO list and gradually add them in future versions.

Thanks again.

39. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

at this rate it will be a full ready to release game, lol

Ian094 likes this.
  40. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

No problem. Have you tried building 1.0.8 (in progress version) with the new Unity 5.3.2?

41. Ian094

Ian094

No, v1.0.8 uses 5.3.1

I'll test it out with 5.3.2 to see if there will be any console warnings or errors.

Thanks.

42. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

can you list the changes in v1.0.8

43. Ian094

Ian094

Hi everyone,

v1.0.8 was submitted yesterday so it should be live soon.

Additions / Changes
    - Motorbike physics
    - Replay system
    - RCC & Unitycar 2.2 support
    - Improved menu system
    - Vehicle Setup Wizard (previously car setup wizard)
    - Player Cars/Motorbikes now loaded from a Resources/PlayerVehicle folder
    - Lots of minor adjustments & improvements to the kit

Fixes
    - fixed a ghost car issue that arose in v1.0.7

Thanks.

Mayureshete likes this.
  44. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Looking forward to this update. Does this update include any new demos for Motorbikes?

45. Ian094

Ian094

Yeah, there's a motorbike race demo scene :)

I'll be sure to upload a web player here soon.

46. Bty

Bty

Another vote for multiplayer support.
    There are many racing kits, but none offers multiplayer support out of the box. :(

47. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

I agree multiplayer support would be good, even if it supports p2p connection...

48. Ian094

Ian094

v1.0.8 is now live!

Mayureshete likes this.
  49. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

This new replay system is great. Just started looking at the motorbike additions you added.

Ian094 likes this.
  50. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

+1. excellent Replay and motorcycle physics addition....

May be in replay mode it would be good to hear vehicle sounds, and more camera views can be added in future.. ;)

Also, how about free roam scene ...? just an idea....

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    Ian094 likes this.