Search Unity

Rabbit Man (NES Style Platformer)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by WizardCube, Oct 30, 2014.

1. WizardCube

WizardCube

Release: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/rabbit-man-pc-mac-android-free.280335/

MEGA Update #4

Video showcasing 4 fairly complete stages, each with an original music track!

Screenshots:

Level specific gimmicks will be added in future updates

--- Old updates ---

Update #3

Things get a little spooky in Rumble Cave!

Update #2

-WIP Level select with complete music track
    -New WIP enemy, bouncy cat ball
    -Slightly larger test stage
    -Better recording software haha

Update #1

-Slightly improved floor tiles (all art still very WIP)
    -First test enemy called Rat Wheeler! Simple back and forth patroller that can cling to walls.
    -Jump sound effect and enemy defeat sound effect (dubbed into video, need to find a good FRAPS alternative for OSX)
    -Run cycle slowed down (hard to tell in choppy video, looks better in realtime)

Screen/video:

Original post

Hello,

I'm in the very early stages of developing a retro platformer currently named Rabbit Man. This will be a one man project, I will be handling the programming, art and music composition.

Below is a screenshot/video of a test stage featuring 2 complete music tracks.

Throughout its development I will welcome and appreciate all feedback on any aspect of the game :)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  2. giyomu

giyomu

I already like the feel of it :)

Need some bad guys now ;)

I guess the NES could have more polished graphic maybe ^^, music sound good, I think you have already well captured that retro feel.

Keep on it !

BrandyStarbrite and WizardCube like this.
  3. WizardCube

WizardCube

Thanks! Haha I agree with you about the graphics, they'll be a lot more detailed in the final. Also for anyone interested, the player moves with a custom raycast platforming script for more control, and the ability to stand right on the edge of platforms without sliding off. If you want a similar effect for your game avoid real physics!

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  4. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Looks solid. The tune sounds very NES-like. Actually reminds me of Mega Man. Did you compose it?

I agree with you on the physics. Just rolled my own for my platform game. I want a certain behavior and to get that I need to be in control of what is going on. Anyway, looks great and feels very NES-like. Keep going!

WizardCube likes this.
  5. Barry_Evans

Barry_Evans

Nice work so far! I don't know if you're going for an explicitly NES feel but i would suggest modifying your movement speed a little bit. If you can get that walk animation to slow down a little and speed the movement up it, might play smoother. Also, if you ARE going for that NES feel i highly recommend you read this article. It explains how yacht club games made shovel knight new and innovative while doing their best to keep true to the restrictions that the NES hardware put forth. If you have played shovel knight, you know how authentic it feels. You can probably skip over the notes about the soundtrack because it sounds like you've got the music under control! :D Anyway, i hope this helped!

EDIT: There is an interesting bit about the color palette in there as well. I'm sure that would enhance the look of your game!

WizardCube likes this.
  6. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Wow!
    When you said retro, you reeeeally meant retro.
    Nice job so far.
    Nice NES sounding retro music. :D
    You really seemed to have caught the NES retro feel and look in your game.
    Cute name too.

PS: What exactly is a Rabbit man?
    Is it a person in a superhero type rabbit costume, that gives him Super Powers?
    Or a Fantasy creature called a rabbit man? :D

WizardCube likes this.
  7. WizardCube

WizardCube

Thanks, yes I composed the music. Haha yeah managing your own physics is a lot harder but so worth it.

Thanks for the tips I'll definitely give that a read :) I haven't played Shovel Knight but I've seen videos and it looks amazing.

I should note the video is very choppy so it made the run cycle look a lot worse but it needs improvement anyway haha.

Thank you, he's supposed to be a guy wearing a rabbit costume haha

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  8. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

Looks fine so far :) I like the music a lot :D The graphics still need some work but you knew that already ^^'

Will this be a NES inspired game or do you want it to be like a real NES game (like Shovel Knight)? I'm also working on a Retro style game (not NES though, more like old EGA DOS games but with a different 16 color palette) and it might be cool to share some insights when it comes to making pixelart games in Unity. :)

WizardCube likes this.
  9. WizardCube

WizardCube

Update #1

-Slightly improved floor tiles (all art still very WIP)
    -First test enemy called Rat Wheeler! Simple back and forth patroller that can cling to walls.
    -Jump sound effect and enemy defeat sound effect (dubbed into video, need to find a good FRAPS alternative for OSX)
    -Run cycle slowed down (hard to tell in choppy video, looks better in realtime)

Screen/video:

Thank you :)

I've decided this will just be NES inspired in terms of the gameplay/music. Shovel Knight does have a nice feel with the restricted colour palette but for this project it may create unnecessary development time, even though it's a great aesthetic. Cool, link me to whatever project/s you're working on and I'll gladly offer feedback and advice. Us retro devs should stick together! :D

10. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

Yeah it sure makes things more complicated! I'm a perfectionist when it comes to retro aesthetics ^^' I went for a fixed resolution for my game (320x180, integer scaling possible), no floating point positions so everything stays 100% pixel perfect, basic rect overlap checks for collision cause Unity's physics engine is too "floaty",...
    I haven't made a topic of my game yet, I did make a twitter to share small updates :D And tomorrow will be my first ScreenshotSaturday so then I'll post a first screenshot of my test level (which I'll also post here in the Wip Small Works Art thread) ;)

WizardCube likes this.
  11. WizardCube

WizardCube

Dedication, I like it haha. Checked out the Twitter, nice sprite art!

12. WizardCube

WizardCube

Update!

13. thesoundguy

thesoundguy

perhaps some effects when the main protagonist jumps on and destroys the AI ? like visually :) other than that, cool concept and game :) also, speeding up the AI may make the game a little more enjoyable, they seem to move too slow at this present time :)

WizardCube likes this.
  14. WizardCube

WizardCube

Thanks man! :)

I'll definitely add an explosion sprite for defeating enemies. I agree with you about the enemy speed I'll keep tweaking it.

15. zenGarden

zenGarden

Good retro :)

BrandyStarbrite and WizardCube like this.
  16. WizardCube

WizardCube

Thanks!

Update #3

Things get a little spooky in Rumble Cave!

17. WizardCube

WizardCube

MEGA Update #4

Video showcasing 4 fairly complete stages, each with an original music track!

Screenshots:

Level specific gimmicks will be added in future updates

18. WizardCube

WizardCube