Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

QuickRopes Rope Physics Tools

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reveriejake, Apr 20, 2012.

1. reveriejake

reveriejake

Hmm I remembered there being a special case involving Character Controllers reacting to Physics. You should check out this documentation.

http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/CharacterController.OnControllerColliderHit.html

Basically character controllers do not react to physics in the same way as a normal rigid-body.

Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections;
    5. public class ExampleClass : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.    public float pushPower = 2.0F;
    9.    void OnControllerColliderHit(ControllerColliderHit hit) {
    10.    Rigidbody body = hit.collider.attachedRigidbody;
    11.    if (body == null || body.isKinematic)
    12.     return;
    14.    if (hit.moveDirection.y < -0.3F)
    15.     return;
    17.     Vector3 pushDir = new Vector3(hit.moveDirection.x, 0, hit.moveDirection.z);
    18.     body.velocity = pushDir * pushPower;
    19.   }
    20. }

2. reveriejake

reveriejake

And just read your post... Sorry I didn't catch ya in time ;).

3. FLYUPAV

FLYUPAV

I got error while running unity 5 beta

-Assets/QuickRopes 2/CoreScripts/QuickRope2Cloth.cs(15,13): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `InteractiveCloth' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

-Assets/QuickRopes 2/CoreScripts/QuickRope2Cloth.cs(16,13): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `ClothRenderer' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

4. giraffe1

giraffe1

Does this asset work with unity 4.6.1? I see a lot of reviews complain about compatibility issues/problems. Does this asset work as advertised with the latest version of unity 4?

5. reveriejake

reveriejake

Not supported in Unity 5 yet and there are a lot of bugs. I have not had time to update this product yet so purchase with caution. The price has been reduced by 50%.

I plan to update this more when I finish my update to VLS2D 4.0.

Jake

6. giraffe1

giraffe1

Okay thanks for response, I will wait then.

7. DarthDisembowel

DarthDisembowel

Damn. I just purchased QuickRopes a few days ago and it has already become a major feature in my game. Now I just installed Unity5 and my game won't compile anymore. InteractiveCloth and ClothRenderer don't exist anymore; so far those are my only two errors.

Any news on an update to fix this? Thanks!

PS: It was a great tool while it was working :)

8. imaleper

imaleper

Ye, weird issues alright... Interactive Cloth and Cloth Renderer can't be found, are they Unity specific classes? There's also a weird JS script error in the Standard Assets that seems to be connected to QuickRopes also. Personally, although I understand why Unity took the quick component accessors out, I find it most annoying especially as the upgrade functionality doesn't seem to work correctly

9. imaleper

imaleper

Any information on when this might be tackled would be greatly appreciated... Until this happens basically I'm gonna stick with Unity4, because I don't want to have to remove all QR2 references and then tackle the rest of the issues (NGUI seems all over the place).

10. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks, that would be cool. I used it for bridges and i had to erase it from the project in Unity 5. I kept a backup of the whole folder, so maybe i can restore it and update and not loose the links.

But this is a bit optimistic :)

11. nasos_333

nasos_333

I read in a release note that the inetractive cloth is now gone and both cloths are replaced by one class with options to go up to that functionality. So it is not trivial to modify the asset sadly, otherwise i would try it (i started actually, but hit a wall since it would take me too much time to get questionable result)

12. Boubidouwap

Boubidouwap

Sight i've just bought QuickRopes2 and it doesn't work with unity 5 :(
    InteractiveCloth and ClothRenderer could not be found :/
    Well do you guys have a solution to this problem ?

Thanks !

13. reveriejake

reveriejake

I have been working on a patch for Unity5 to solve the issues with cloth renderer stuff. I think I have come up with a solution so if any of you need a copy right now to try out please feel free to email me!

I have already sent out a few copies to those who have emailed me in the past 2 weeks. If you are one of those who emailed me already in the past and I still have not sent you a copy please send me a reminder that you requested the update.

reveriejake87@gmail.com

Thanks!
    Jake

14. reveriejake

reveriejake

Unity 5 broke QuickRopes 2.x (email me for a quick fix) so I have been inspired to finish work on the next major release of QuickRopes. I will have the whole weekend to myself so I hope to get a lot accomplished ;).

A couple little teasers of what I have been doing this week.

Improved Spline Editor (Visual cue's help high visibility editing)

Individually edit each joint for variation (ex: Single rusted 'weak' link)

15. devioktama

devioktama

Hi Jake, I just bought quick ropes for unity3d. May I know where did you put the swing/sway setting of the rope in your code? Thank you very much !!!!

16. reveriejake

reveriejake

The physics tab should have the toggle for enabling physics. I know it should be enabled by default but in 2.x I sort of missed that before submitting ;).

Hope that helps?

Jake

17. devioktama

devioktama

Hay Jake, thank you for the fast response !!!
    I have enabled the physics tab . It contains the setting for the swing and the twist as well. However, when I changed the number , the sway/swing of the rope is still the same. May be you can give me some tips how to make the swing bigger? :)
    And also I want to know whether I can change the radius of the rope and where can I change it? Thank you for your help!!!

18. reveriejake

reveriejake

No problem! It's nice when I actually get an email notifying me that someone has commented on this thread for once ;).

The first tab should contain all of the settings for thinks like rope thickness and such.

There might be a bug in the settings where the joint settings are not being applied but I will have to check that out later on today since I am not at home to check out the code right now.

Jake

19. devioktama

devioktama

About the swing and twist setting , may I know what is the effect if the increase or decrease the number? Because I don't find any difference when I changed them.
    Thank youu !!!
    :)

20. reveriejake

reveriejake

highTwist should be the positive angle (0 / 180) at which the links rotate (twist is like you are ringing out water from a cloth)
    lowTwist should be the negative angle (-180 / 0) at which the links rotate
    swing1 and swing2 should be how far positive and negative (-180 / +180) in Euler angle the links swing when dangling (most important in my opinion).

Again, if you are noticing that the settings are not being applied then there might be a bug that I have to fix.

Jake

21. devioktama

devioktama

Hmm, I don't find the rope thickness part in the first tab. My quick ropes is 2.0, may I know what is the version of yours?
    Thankyou!

22. reveriejake

reveriejake

23. devioktama

devioktama

Thank you for the video!! I can control the thickness of the rope now .
    :)

24. elusive52

elusive52

i would like it so that when my character walks over the bridge (I’m using your _complex_RopeBridge ready made) he effects the bridge, but i think because i have a character controller and character motor script (so no rigid body except for the one in the actual character controller if you know what i mean) its not effecting it. can you tell me how to fix this?

many thanks

25. reveriejake

reveriejake

Character Controllers are not physics objects so you need to write your own script to apply forces to the character controller.

I am not really familiar with how that works though. You might want to search the forums for information about how to apply external forces when using the Character Controller.

Jake

26. JacobsenD

JacobsenD

Hey, im using your ropes for a crane simulator, and thus far its working very well. The only issue i have is that i need to raise and lower the hook with a joystick axis. Is there some way to enable the extend and retract functions via script.

Basically i need to be able to do something like this
    If (xaxis > 0)
    { rope.extend (); }
    if (xaxis < 0)
    { rope.retract(); }

Right now my code looks like this, and i have to press the buttons in addition to moving the joystick.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void Update () {
    3.         if(Input.GetAxis("Vertical2") > 0)
    4.         {
    5.         rope.acceleration = Input.GetAxis("Vertical2") * 17;
    6.         rope.maxVelocity = Input.GetAxis ("Vertical2") * 1.76f;
    7.         }
    9.         if (Input.GetAxis("Vertical2") < 0)
    10.         {
    11.         rope.acceleration = Input.GetAxis("Vertical2") * -17;
    12.         rope.maxVelocity = Input.GetAxis ("Vertical2") * -1.76f;
    14.         }

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  27. reveriejake

reveriejake

@JacobsenD Take a look at the main quickropes script. You should find there are 2 private methods "ExtendRope" and "RetractRope". You could make those public and pass in your velocities as a parameter. Just make sure whatever you pass into those functions are smooth velocities and that you call them during the "FixedUpdate" method.

Hope that helps!

Jake

28. reveriejake

reveriejake

And just FYI to everyone else, I have finished the prefab rope type for the next update to QuickRopes. I just need to get the mesh and line type working before I can submit it to the Asset Store. This should fix a lot of issues in the past versions. It will also include a better extend and retract function and easier access to them via script.

Jake

29. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is the Unity 5 compatibility in the current version or coming in a next one ?

Also i erased the system from the Unity 5 project i created, will insertion of the new version restore the links/systems i had created ?

Thanks

30. reveriejake

reveriejake

@nasos_333 I have a 'fix' for the current Asset Store version. Its not a full fix but it should get you by for now.

The version that will be the full fix and released on the asset store soon will not be backwards compatible. So make sure you decide which version you are going to go with in the long run.

Hope that helps,
    Jake

31. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks, i will probably wait for the store update, as i wont be touching my main RPG project for at least two weeks.

I will be working on Unity 5, so i guess this means i will have to recreate some of the items ?

32. reveriejake

reveriejake

If you plan on using the next asset store version then yes. But the version I am working on now will be much easier to use (I hope everyone will feel the same).

Jake

33. JacobsenD

JacobsenD

Works beautifully :)

34. dualcarbon

dualcarbon

Great Asset but still waiting for the update for Unity 5. Hope its available soon so i can move on to Unity 5

35. reveriejake

reveriejake

@dualcarbon. I am still working on it :). I will have a beta version this week for those who dont mind dealing with minor changes, bugs, and missing features (like mesh support).

I think that version even as a Beta will be far easier to use then QuickRopes 2.0 though lol.

Also I tend to post updates to my Twitter faster than the forums, Facebook, or my website so if you are interested in seeing screenshots of the assets I am developing feel free to follow me there. twitter.com/reveriejake

Jake

36. devioktama

devioktama

Hey Jake,

I'm back! In your demo, you only use 1 rope.
    However, I want to use 8 ropes and when I extend the rope, the length of each rope is not equal.
    Can you direct me to make the length of the 8 ropes become equal when i extend it?

37. dualcarbon

dualcarbon

Cool, looking forward tot that :) i'll keep an eye on twitter also

38. reveriejake

reveriejake

@devioktama What exactly is happening? Do you have any screenshots showing the error you are talking about.

Jake

39. devioktama

devioktama

40. reveriejake

reveriejake

@devioktama - I will look into it. But for now I have to head to bed ;) its 6am my time lol.

41. devioktama

devioktama

Hi Jake, have you seen the image?

42. reveriejake

reveriejake

Hey sorry about that! I am going to be honest and tell you I totally forgot about looking into that issue. I had a few other emails and had just got home from work shortly after my reply! I will remember to check it out today though.

Thanks for the reminder,
    Jake

43. reveriejake

reveriejake

@devioktama Hey I was playing around with it a bit. I cant seem to replicate your error. Could you send me that project or give me access to a team server so I can check it out on my end?

reveriejake87@gmail.com

Jake

44. devioktama

devioktama

Hi Jake,

Last time I sent you the wrong project.
    I've sent the new one to your email. Could you please kindly check it for me?
    Thank you very much !!!

45. reveriejake

reveriejake

Hey sorry I didnt respond to your last email! I did get the next project and I was planing on checking it out sometime today. I am working on Documentation for QuickRopes 3 right now :( so no fun lol.

Jake

46. reveriejake

reveriejake

Just so you know... Writing documentation is a living nightmare... I might call it quits for tonight but its getting there. For those of you who are curious about what the new editor looks like here is the page to the current state of the documentation for QuickRopes 3. There is obviously some place-holder stuff in there but the pictures give you a good idea of what is to come!

http://picogames.com/quickropes-documentation/

Looking forward to this update :). Then maybe back to 2DVLS!
    Jake

47. reveriejake

reveriejake

QuickRopes Version 3 Released!

QuickRopes version 3 is now available for download at the asset store. This new update fixes many problems from the past and will resolve all compatibility issues with Unity 5. The new documentation is up and I have provided new video tutorials on how to setup and use QuickRopes 3!

Documentation: http://www.picogames.com/quickropes-documentation/

Video Tutorials: Tutorial Playlist on YouTube

Features:
    • Easy to Use Inspector
    • New and Easy to Use Spline Editor
    • Link Caching to Improve Performance
    • Scripts for Raising / Lowering Ropes Included
    • Up-To-Date Documentation and Video Tutorials
    • Free Updates!

Get it Here on The Asset Store!

48. reveriejake

reveriejake

This initial release does not contain the rope renderer but that feature is almost finished and should be ready for submission in the next 2 days.

Here is a screen grab of the types of meshes you can generate with the new rope renderer.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  49. dualcarbon

dualcarbon

Awesome! will update tonight and play around with it

50. reveriejake

reveriejake

Submitting the Rope Renderer update either tonight or tomorrow morning :). Just got to get some Undo functionality in there.

Also a note about how to connect the rope to other objects. You need to use a joint object and connect it to a link on the rope as you would with any other Unity object. I plan to have a tutorial released on that this weekend but I wanted to make some changes to how the rope's root is constructed before hand.

Jake

Final Rope Renderer Preview

Last edited: May 8, 2015