Search Unity

Questions about Android 4.4

Discussion in 'Android' started by TheValar, Dec 6, 2013.

1. TheValar

TheValar

So I just released my game and I'm getting some complaints/requests from users using Android 4.4 KitKat

#1 It seems that it is incompatible with the new Android Runtime Art. Has anybody else had this issue? Is their guidance anywhere on what causes incompatability?

#2 Is there a way to take advantage of "full screen mode" that 4.4 has?

2. jvil

jvil

#1 Art it's on experimental stage at this moment, users sholud be aware they're testing a beta release if they change it. By default is Dalvik, and require to unlock developer mode to change.

#2 Maybe using native Android plugin

3. TheValar

TheValar

Yeah I'm aware that ART is experimental but that doesn't change the fact that user's expect me to do something about it :( That's why if there is a way to fix it I'd like to find out.

You're probably right about it being possible with a native Android plugin. I'll have to research this.

4. Agent_007

Agent_007

I would speculate that it would require changes to Unity. (assuming that problematic code is from Unity and not from random plugin)

5. TheValar

TheValar

I agree with your speculation. I haven't heard anyone else complain of this issue though so it's unlikely that the problematic code is from Unity.

6. MightyRobot

MightyRobot

Since unity is already using the NDK, what benefits are there in using another virtual machine? (unless ART is more than just a virtual machine)

7. TheValar

TheValar

The benefits of ART are irrelevant. I'm not talking about harnessing any extra potential but just ensuring that the game runs on it. Right now my game will crash if it is run with ART enabled.

8. AndreaP

AndreaP

Ours crashes too. Have you found a solution/workaround for this issue in the meantime?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  9. HunterAMG

HunterAMG

That's weird. My game runs flawlessly in my Nexus 4 with ART enabled

10. AndreaP

AndreaP

I never had the chance to test it myself, but I received more than one report/complaint about the app crashing with ART enabled. One user mentioned the Nexus 5, a bunch of others the Nexus 4.
    We are using two plugins: the official chartboost one and the "android native" available on the asset store. I don't think it's their fault, as I'm pretty sure a tester mentioned the crash before we added them.
    Being ART still experimental we didn't worry much and spending a lot of time trying to fix it is not one of our priorities right now :)
    Maybe some Unity feature (that we use and you don't) triggers the crash?

11. mikhail111777

mikhail111777

Like black screen problem was not enough, now I am getting 1-stars, because my new game is not working with ART. :sad:

12. jerome-lacoste

jerome-lacoste