Search Unity

Question about Winterbells or any scrolling flash/mobile game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HKSpadez, Dec 18, 2014.

1. HKSpadez

HKSpadez

Hey all,

Have a general question about games where it scrolls (flappy birds, winterbells,etc)

How does winterbells work? When you go up. does everything just move down giving the illusion that you are moving upwards. or does winterbells actually generate itself all the way into the sky? anyone have a tutorial on how to keep making it general the background/clouds like that?

or flappy birds.. does that one just move the pipes to the left and give an illusion?

just wondering if anyone know the best technique for games like this.

Thanks,
    HK

2. Random_Civilian

Random_Civilian

3. HKSpadez

HKSpadez

mmm but how does winterbells do the last part where u fall? So is it generated as u go up?

I saw that tutorial and Im about to go through it. idk. i wantd to make a game where u continually climb up as well. so wasnt sure if flappy birds and winterbells does the "scrolling" effect differently. thanks for the link tho

4. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I don't know about winterbells for sure, but I'm pretty sure that about any game that scrolls for long periods of time is doing a sort of trick by just moving other things and generating them on the borders. This applies to most games, but I'm sure it is possible to do things differently. For example, if the games are almost guaranteed to be short(at risk of running into a too good player), they can make it really scroll over, but the catch is like I say, a really good player.

The thing to remember is that at certain distances, there are rendering errors, and there can be physics errors too. These are based on limitations of floating point numbers. That's why in huge open world type games, the world tends to move around the player, or at least it shifts when the player gets too far from the origin. This same problem can apply to 2d scrolling games as well.

5. HKSpadez

HKSpadez

yeah... idk how winterbells does it. i dont think its just a scrolling trick since u fall at the end. and thats wat i was mainly wondering about. unless they take the distance uve travled and re-render on the way down?