Search Unity

Question about Tile maps creation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Epilol, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Epilol

Epilol

Hello guys,
    first of all thanks to whoever will help me.
    I'm making a tower defense game and I got suggested to use tiles to make the different maps.
    I wanted to make something that looked similar to the game Prime World Defenders.
    I'm using the Tower Defense and MOBA asset which unfortunately uses terrains instead of tiles.

I was looking for editors that could speed up the map creation process and I found this one:

TileWorldCreator

It seems really nice and my first question is:

1) is this what I'm looking for? (despite the fact that my environment asset doesn't use tiles)

In their topic, as I though, they say that you need tile presets to make maps with their tool
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ti...tiful-tile-maps-in-unity.296017/#post-1952307
    The second question is

2) If I buy TileWorldCreator is there a way to make tile presets from the textures and objects of Tower Defense and MOBA or is there any asset that offer tile presets like the one of TileWorldCreator. The problem is that I suck at painting and I can't reproduce the tiles from scratch

Thanks again for your help!

2. Ostwind

Ostwind

First don't invest in to anything before you know that you will able to produce content for it. Prime World Defenders does look tile based but it has elevation changes meaning you won't only be painting tiles but also need to use modeling tool to make and cut the tiles. The post that you linked shows clearly what kind of tiles you would have to know how to do for the landscape. Then you could place the MOBA asset objects on top of em "freely".

Whats wrong using terrain for tower defense if you use custom tile markers on top of it for pathing and tower placement?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    Epilol likes this.
  3. Epilol

Epilol

Actually my first idea was to use terrains and in fact I already made scripts for paths and tower placements. The main problem was that with terrains I wasn't able to make them look how I wanted. I didn't know what assets to buy and what approach to use. The only thing I knew is that to speed up process I needed to make heightmaps and splat maps, but I still have no idea how to make them :p (I tried with photoshop but it doesnt even have argb channels)

4. Ostwind

Ostwind

Well terrain system is pretty flexible and works ok on mobile too when used in tower def style game view. The MOBA pack you have already contains all you need for basic game and the tool it self is pretty easy after reading the manual or checking few tutorials.

If your problem with terrain was quick elevation changes then there are not much good looking solutions other than cover the spots with mesh decorations such as stones, walls or etc.

5. Epilol

Epilol

Ye the fact it's that with terrain is somehow harder to make good looking ones for a tower defense game. Also the reason why I wanted to use tiles is that I wanted to make possible, in case it's needed, a runtime randomization of the levels

6. Ostwind

Ostwind

Well you can practice and make the tiles and try them first in Unity using the grid, vertex or etc snapping. If you manage to make the tiles work and look good together you can consider purchasing something like the one linked earlier.

Epilol likes this.
  7. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

GarBenjamin likes this.
  8. Epilol

Epilol

Does this work for 3d too?

9. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

Ah sorry no my mistake

Epilol likes this.
  10. Epilol

Epilol

at the end I used tiles. I like the result overall but is there anyway to make the textures look better? It seems they repeat endlessy if you know what I mean

image.jpg

11. Ostwind

Ostwind

You need to have several tile variations and probably a decal/splat tile layer on top of the base

Epilol likes this.