Search Unity

question about psvita gpu and textures compression

Discussion in 'PSM' started by blackbird, Jun 7, 2014.

1. blackbird

blackbird

why there is no support for pvrtc on vita as far as i know the psvita has a PowerVR SGX543MP4+ ????? any idea guys ?

2. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

The PVR chip in the Vita does indeed support PVRTC.
    The "problem" is actually that we haven't had time to add it to the list of compression formats in the editor (simply put).
    That - and that there hasn't been any demand for PVRTC for Vita in general (I guess because DXT produces better results).
    But with a stricter size limit for PSM than with normal PS Vita titles, it makes sense to also support PVRTC (at least for PSM).

I'll add it to the TO-DO list.

3. blackbird

blackbird

thank you very much erique you are the best :D

4. icurafu

icurafu

Did you get it in the new update?

5. blackbird

blackbird

no not yet

6. NFeelone

NFeelone

when there will be an update with PVRTC compression ? =(

7. blackbird

blackbird

i think it won t happen anytime soon i wish we had more memory its seems like the psm is made for just small games and 2d games or better say not very 3d intensive games :/

8. lorenalexm

lorenalexm

@blackbird You have to keep in mind that the Vita is running the ARM A9, which you can think of as the same chip used in the iPad 3 - stack that with the 512MB RAM and 128MB VRAM. It makes sense that the Vita isn't a huge powerhouse. If you play it smart though, and make wise decisions regarding how your handling your rendering, you may be surprised what you are able to squeeze out of it; just don't expect the next Gran Turismo.

blackbird likes this.
  9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well we've managed:

8 vertex lights per object (from a pool of unlimited)
    depth of field
    vignetting
    film grain
    PBS (our own version) + ibl etc
    Home brewed GI
    Realtime shadows
    200k polys / frame

65fps solid.

So i'm 100% sure that if you know mobile inside out, particularly shaders, it's capable of a lower fidelity PS3 pushed to the max.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
    blackbird likes this.
  10. blackbird

blackbird

@lorenalexm i achieved good resulats after many try and errors but i don t think the psm alow that much like the native-version for psm you have only 184 mega available for your game and just 87 MB for video memory and that not much at all

@hippocoder could you show something what you have achieved if its possible

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No, can't reveal the project yet. We recently switched to PS4 and left vita as a backport (if necessary) since wanting next gen goodness.

12. blackbird

blackbird

i see good luck guys with your project by the i want to ask did you use custom shaders to achieve 65 frames ?

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yes, all custom cg/frag/vert, including replacing the entire unity lighting as it had realtime shadows on everything too.

Honestly, if you can write your own shaders from scratch the hard way, do your own lighting and shadows, then do your own post fx, then you can cut a lot of corners. The reason Unity doesn't do this is because it cannot predict what kind of games users will make, so it's up to you.

TBH all that effort is thrown away for now (the knowledge I learned from doing it isn't though) since we moved to PS4 as primary (previously, PS4 was to be ported to).

I guess what we did wasn't so impressive if you compare with killzone etc. Not a big deal really, and about what you can expect.

14. blackbird

blackbird

no chance to sell the shaders on the asset store that could help you guys to make more revenue or may be it will help you in the developement costs