Search Unity

Third Party Question about photon multiplayer.

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by psycocrusher, Nov 24, 2014.

1. psycocrusher

psycocrusher

I was looking at photon as a solution for my multiplayer game, everything looked great until i found this on a website:

(Photon server application is not aware of Unity geometry, physics and the collision system, which means we would need to recreate all those parts on the server side.)

What exactly does this mean, i have a lot of "OnTriggerEnter" in my game, does it mean they won't work?

And does photon work on blackberry, windows phone and web player also?

Thank you

2. BFGames

BFGames

If you need an authoritative server setup, then yes you will have to implement physics server side yourself.

3. Dabeh

Dabeh

Photon Server doesn't run in Unity and doesn't come with anything out of the box to do physics/collisions.

Although, it's not too difficult to implement. There are some open source physic libraries out there like Bullet that can do the job.

4. tobiass

tobiass

The triggers and such will work but it's not the server who will execute those. In many cases, this is fine. It depends on your game and chosen requirements if you make it a problem. Even if you run physics in the server, it does not guarantee that everything is smooth automatically.

Photon does not support Blackberry but Windows Phone and Windows Store, etc.

5. psycocrusher

psycocrusher

Thanks for the replies,

My game is already released for Android, iOS, Blackberry, Windows Phone and Facebook Canvas.

Is there a single solution for all of them? What do you guys suggest?