Search Unity

Question about applying multiple materials to the same mesh

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by itsDmajster, Jan 31, 2015.

1. itsDmajster

itsDmajster

Hello!

I have this mesh which is dynamically created, and can be deformed in real time, basically i am creating a custom terrain engine, now i wonder how should i go about adding multiple materials support to it since 1 material can be quite dull to look at.

Here is a picture of the current terrain:

Desired effect:

Thank you for even looking at this post and even furthermore if you help me in any way !

2. hpjohn

hpjohn

3. itsDmajster

itsDmajster

So this would mean when i start painting triangles with different materials i should reassign them to different sub meshes which are tied to that material ?

4. hpjohn

hpjohn

Alternatively, you could write a shader that takes multiple textures, and then you paint vertex colors to blend between them. This would get nice boundaries between the textures, not hard edges

5. itsDmajster

itsDmajster

hmm, that would be the effect i am going for, but shaders aren't something i am good at

6. cmcpasserby

cmcpasserby

I think the better approach is via vertex color and using that to blend based on it.

7. itsDmajster

itsDmajster

cmcpasserby please explain, that sounds like something i would be actually able to do myself

8. cmcpasserby

cmcpasserby

Its possible to have your shader lerp between multiple textures via vertex color on the verticies of your mesh.

So after this you could either use a tool to paint vertex color on your mesh, or if its procedural have your system that makes the mesh assign certain colors.