Search Unity

Questing about unity & portfolio

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by caby503, Apr 27, 2015.

?

Am I allowed to use My finished unity tutorial programs on my portfolio

1. Yes

2. No

3. I dont understand

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. caby503

caby503

Hey guys, I had a question for the unity community, Currently I am trying to make the very difficult switch in job markets from the general labor field into the IT field, more specifically Android Development. Anyways..
    What my question is, is.
    I am trying to build a portfolio of all of the things i have accomplished with my coding and programming skills. I have ran through alot of the tutorials and have done ALL of the unity tutorials. and i am very proud of my finished products. And as simple mundane and basic as they may be, They show off skills that i have now and i want future employers to see that i am a self motivated self learning & taught programmer. and that i am also capable of using multiple programs to accomplish tasks.
    I was wondering, Is it okay for me to use my unity finished tutorial programs as something in my portfolio or does that violate some copywrite infringement laws. I have searched google, and have come up with nothing. So I turn to you, The Unity3d Community, Thanks guys. I appreciate your feedback

2. mgear

mgear

I would think it would be good idea to make at least one small game of your own, from scratch,
    using those skills learned, and use that as your main portfolio piece..
    (you could still list that you have completed these tutorials)

3. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I agree it would be best to make something of your own so you know 100%: You Made It.

Now, there is nothing in the licensing saying you can't use a tutorial for a portfolio. Ethics and common sense would say that you should clearly indicate that this is a finished tutorial project that you followed step by step. This may not help you as much as a finished game of your own.

Take the concepts you see in a tutorial, and/or use the assets from the tutorial, and make a game of your own.

This will also help you learn Unity - to go "off piste" a bit and go it on your own.

Pick a simple game you'd like to make: Moon Lander, Jumping Platformer, Simple Scroller... you name it. Then you do it! You'll learn a lot and have a good portfolio piece all on your own.

Bottom Line:

Are you allowed to? Yes
    Should you? Probably not