Search Unity

PyroTechnix - Volumetric Explosion Framework (D3D, OGL, MOBILE)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by smb02dunnal, Apr 12, 2014.

1. levmckinney

levmckinney

Hi, I just bought this but I'm getting some usage breaking bugs. When I first imported it into my project I was getting errors from the pro only script to the point where I had to remove the script for it to run, and then when it did run, I wasn't seeing the explosion puff at all. This was all in the example scene you mentioned in the quick start guide. Help on this ASAP would be great.

2. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

Sorry for the slow response on this.

Could you give me some more repro steps? What did the errors you mention say?
    TBH it's pretty hard to diagnose the problem with all that you've given. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to fix this for you, just need as much information as possible in order to be effective.

3. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

Hey guys, if this interests anyone, I've been working on a C++ DirectX sample for an upcoming GPU Pro chapter on the technique used to create the explosions.

The technique is an update on the existing plugin, and I'll be upgrading this plugin with the changes soon. In the mean time, if anyone wants to play around with the sample, you can get it from github here:
    https://github.com/smb02dunnal/volumetric-explosions

Also, the introduction from the book chapter is here:
    http://gpupro.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/realistic-volumetric-explosions-in-games.html

4. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Looking forward to the update!

5. lazygunn

lazygunn

Grats on the GPU Pro spot! One of my fave gfx book series, since they set me a good target to understand, look forwards to checking the sample

6. Z43D

Z43D

I know this isn't the right thread, but do you have plans to update Fluidity for Unity 5? I seemed to get it to work with help from the community but I'd love an official patch if possible.

7. Matrixmage

Matrixmage

Does PyroTechnix work with the free version of Unity? Or only the pro version?

8. ZJP

ZJP

Hi,

Any update for Unity 5?!

9. TechiTech

TechiTech

PyroTechnix is not compatible with Unity 5. pro or personal.

But he is working on it.

ZJP likes this.
  10. bteitler

bteitler

I was able to get this to work in Unity 5 by commenting out the check for Unity Pro in "Helper.cs" for "CanUseTex3D()" function. (around line 223). Otherwise, it switches to using 2D textures instead of 3D which seems to cause a lot of bad artifacts on the explosion (unclear if this is a bug in his code.. I would think the 2D texture version would just be slower).

Also, just delete any camera effects that are old and don't compile as they aren't necessary (can be replaced with Unity 5 versions).

11. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

I just submitted an updated package to the asset store which gets this working in Unity 5 (pro or free).

DrewMedina likes this.
  12. TechiTech

TechiTech

Nice one :)

13. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

I am getting this error with the new version, on export... any ideas? thanks!

Unity 5.2.0f3

Assets/Pyro Technix/Scripts/Auxilliary/Helpers.cs(222,18): error CS0103: The name `UnityEditorInternal' does not exist in the current context

14. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

Sorry HeadTrip! I continually forget to fix that one.

You can comment out that whole if block and it should work fine! Many apologies.

15. ZJP

ZJP

Yes... :D

16. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

I've submitted a fix for this :) ... finally

17. bteitler

bteitler

smb02dunnal: Have you made any major changes to performance or available features? I'm a little swamped right now and I'd like to know if it makes sense to try to upgrade to the official Unity 5 version over my hacked Unity 4 one.

18. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

Performance has increased - I fixed a bug in rendering which should increase performance.

I also fixed a bug with heat haze rendering - this stops the pulsing.

Also took steps to ensure that the plugin is compatible with OGL and mobile again.

19. bteitler

bteitler

It looks like the parameters effect things massively differently now. My explosions prefabs don't look correct anymore. Do you have any tips for upgrading and keeping similar visuals?

20. bteitler

bteitler

I was able to update my assets to look similar, but the parameters definitely are much different and this took some time. However, the performance definitely is a lot better and much more consistent though, great job!

21. The Janker

The Janker

I just downloaded this, seems perfect for my game! however I can't get the editor to run in the current version of Unity. I've also tried making the animated Explosions bigger but it isn't changing their size once I play. Any idea where I could find the explosion editor? I've checked every tab and can't find it.

22. The Janker

The Janker

What my very tired self was trying to ask is how would I get the editor running? or how would I increase the size of the explosion as it's about 100 times to small for what I need.

Thanks for making such a great tool. I do plan on picking up all of your other programs as I need them for my game!

23. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

Are you using the explosion prefabs supplied with the tool?

If so - those prefabs are tied to animations, you'll have to alter the animation to make them bigger. Or parent it to a dummy game object and increase it's scale.

Alternatively - if you aren't using the prefabs supplied, then just increase the scale of the explosion.

24. StealThePixels

StealThePixels

Hi, i have Unity 5.1.1f , do i need to upgrade to 5.2 for this to work?
    Or is it just needed for some particular features i may not use

25. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Hello,
    Looks like there is an LOD switch on the volumetric prefab, how do I disable it?
    Anytime I get within a few feet of it and it switches to a higher LOD that sorts behind any mesh between us.
    Maybe this is a near clipping for the mesh? I want the ability to get very close, I would also like to use the lower LOD.
    thanks!

26. JamesMakesGamesLtd

JamesMakesGamesLtd

Heya,

Great package, but I don't seem to be able to render more than one volume at a time. This demo shows (I think) several volumes being rendered at once and upthread eskovas mentioned using an animation which included several volumes, but if i have more than one Animated or Detailed Puff prefab in the scene it will only render the last-placed object. Can someone explain?

27. pi-k

pi-k

I had the same problem, had to construct a new volumetric cloud from scratch because the same prefab wouldn't work at the same time.

My problem with this now is that a small volumetric volume near the screen/camera edge will shrink into nothing for no stated reason. And with near the edge I mean that it starts to visibly shrink as soon as you leave the center 50% of screen area which makes them unusable for a lot of applications unless lots of workarounds are applied.

28. JustHonour

JustHonour

Hello,

Did anyone manage to get this to work on mobile? Everything works fine for me unless I set the build to Android. Then all I get is a moving brown blob. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: May 30, 2016