Search Unity

[PUZZLE] Balls to the Walls

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Jonsm, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Jonsm

Jonsm

Webplayer: Click here
    --- Changelog ---

August 15: Added FX and uploaded to Kongregate.
    August 6: NEW UPDATE! Read below or play the web player.
    October 26: Preview of the new GUI, and devblog, available here.
    November 27: New webplayer, with new GUI and levels.
    January 5: New tiles, levels, and visual effects.

Hello everyone, here's an early beta of my first game in Unity: Balls to the Walls. The goal is to get the balls of each color to the same colored wall. Each ball only moves one direction.
    The game is far from finished. There are currently only four levels. There are also several features to add:
    - New blocks like ball rotators, switches, on/off walls
    - Custom GUI
    - Saving progress on levels
    - Make everything less blurry
    I also haven't tested the graphics on different computers, so I'd like to see how they come out.

Finally, here are some mockups of the GUI:

Hope you enjoy!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  2. GeneBox

GeneBox

Looking great!

3. DaveDexterMusic

DaveDexterMusic

Damn it. Damn all things! I can't send you a private message so I have to leave one here and look like everyone else. FINE

Ok, so I'm a composer and while I don't play a lot of puzzle games, I'm always attracted to composing for shiny, polished-looking ones. Also any that make vaguely salacious puns in the title. I'm not at my studio and can't install the web player, but I can see it at least looks great from the screens. So, pitch: this and this are a couple of tracks from a puzzle game commission. This is a platformer OST but it's all fast-paced and energetic. There's many other tracks and styles on those sites but I doubt many would be appropriate. I'd say more, but approaching you in the comments feels like trying to enact business over a PA system.

-D

4. Cynicat

Cynicat

wow this game is fun! love the concept! second level got me... alot. when i was done i was like: WOOOH \o/ F*CK YEAH!

5. Jonsm

Jonsm

Thanks for the comments everyone. I realized I had PM's turned off, but they should be working now.
    New levels coming soon, featuring rotator tiles:

6. Cynicat

Cynicat

my body is ready!

7. Jonsm

Jonsm

Update!

- 3 New levels with rotator blocks (now goes to level 7).
    - Hints at the start of levels
    - New look for older levels
    - Undo button

I found that the blurriness is due to the new macbook screens, but I haven't found a way to fix it. I would prefer the pixels to just be twice as large instead of blurry; does anyone know a way to do this?

8. Squabbler

Squabbler

Wow, this game is amazingly fun. Excellent idea for a puzzle game! Well done.

9. Jonsm

Jonsm

Update: game is now on Kongregate. http://www.kongregate.com/games/JonSM/balls-to-the-walls-beta
    - Keeps track of levels and coins
    - New glows and effects

Some upcoming features (coded in the game, but no levels yet):

Conveyors push balls all the way until they hit a wall or another ball.

Switches can turn on and off colored walls if a ball of the same color activates them.

Static balls can be pushed by other balls, but can't move.

10. Zeblote

Zeblote

What's up with these lines everywhere?

11. Jonsm

Jonsm

Hmm...I don't get them on my machine but I know what they are. The sprites are made in atlases (lots of sprites in one image), and to make it easy for me to see the boundary for each sprite, I have to surround them with pink lines. It should be gone once I'm done with all the sprites, then I can get rid of the lines.

12. Jonsm

Jonsm

So, no update to the beta...but I've been building a new GUI. Here's a crappy gif:

Once this is done, I'll post the next beta, and hopefully if there are no problems after that, release!

I've also made a devblog, which you can see here.

13. Jonsm

Jonsm

Here's the new level select screen (actual screenshot, not a mockup). What do you all think? The GUI is almost finished!

14. Zeblote

Zeblote

I think that looks very fancy.

15. Jonsm

Jonsm

Update: new web player! Click here to play! One thing, I'm getting a strange bug on the level select screen with my development computer, but I can't replicate it on any other machine. Does anyone else get something like this?
    (Also, this happens only in the web build, not on standalone, which is weird)

16. Jonsm

Jonsm

New update:

I'm almost done! In the new screenshot you can see level 24, the last level I've made. I've also added a bunch of other little features like a glowing overlay around a ball when it's on a rotator block. This should make it easier to see what's going on.

The only thing left is to add the remaining levels and sound effects.