Search Unity

Publishing free demos with Unity Pro trial?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TylerPerry, Mar 6, 2014.

1. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Say I make a prototype with a Unity pro trial then release it for free, this technically breaks the rules. And I'm no bad ass so I don't want to break the rules, but Unity doesn't seem to enforce this. Is it safe to assume that I'm free to publish my demo to show people my ideas and try and raise money to buy pro? I'd make my demo in free but it wouldn't work because it uses pro features(render textures)?

I plan on making a video but that won't really show the game as well as a demo?

2. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

We're okay with you showing your Unity-Pro-Trial-built app to potential investors. You are not permitted to release the game to anyone, however. The trial is provided to allow you to make a purchasing decision. If you release the app, then you've obviously decided that Unity Pro meets your needs, in which case you should make a purchase. The usual way that this is done is to make a purchase on your credit card, and then work out how to get the money from your investors, family, friends, etc. Since this purchase costs $75/month, it shouldn't be too difficult to make the money.

3. MarkrosoftGames

MarkrosoftGames

It sounds like you could privately show it to some people, but you shouldn't post it publicly on a blog or site or anything.

what about a video though? i wonder if you could make a nice video with all the pro trial features shown off, and then you could post a demo built from the free version no problem.

4. kaiyum

kaiyum

@Graham Dunnett, Graham I need a confirmation of payment method. Do you guys support prepaid credit card(debit cards)?

5. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I doubt it, otherwise it would be easy just to have one with like $100 and then just let it bounce when your second payment comes up.

6. MarkrosoftGames

MarkrosoftGames

I'm not sure about that. As far as I know prepaid ones are supposed to work and be accepted exactly like real ones. Of course if you did try something like that then you would be hit with fees or whatever unity would do for non payment.

7. Meltdown

Meltdown

Thread Highjack Level : Expert

8. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

To a payment processor, a debit card is just a credit card, where the credit limit is whatever's on the card (or in your bank account).

--Eric

9. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

Have question.

What if someone with all - UnityPro, iOSPro, AndroidPro, BBPro, Team license, multiple licenses helps out Tyler make final builds. Would that be an issue?

Edit:
    never mind.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  10. Meltdown

Meltdown

You're not allowed to do that. The entity/company releasing the product must own the respective license.
    Or at least the development team that is contracted to do the work must hold the appropriate license.