Search Unity

[RELEASED] psai® Interactive Music Engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Periscope Studio, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Periscope Studio

Periscope Studio

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  2. Periscope Studio

Periscope Studio

Hello everyone! We are happy that quite a few people have started using psai!
    Please note that the Asset Store also holds the unitypackages of our Demo-Soundtrack as well as a set of 8 Free Music Themes. Both are highly recommended to get started.

If any questions arise, feel free to ask away! Feature-requests are also welcome here.

best greetings, Andreas Pongs, developer.

3. cybervaldez

cybervaldez

Hi where are good places to buy different segmented music?

4. MikeTon

MikeTon

Hey loving psai. And posted a positive review: more folks ought to add this to their project pipeline IMHO. Great job!

I am, however having issues running on Unity 5.0 Beta on OS X and are getting the following errors:

Assets/Psai/Editor/PsaiMultiAudioObjectEditor.cs(55,20): error CS0122: `UnityEditor.AudioImporter.format' is inaccessible due to its protection level

Assets/Psai/Editor/PsaiMultiAudioObjectEditor.cs(56,20): error CS1061: Type `UnityEditor.AudioImporter' does not contain a definition for `loadType' and no extension method `loadType' of type `UnityEditor.AudioImporter' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/Psai/Editor/PsaiMultiAudioObjectEditor.cs(59,20): error CS0619: `UnityEditor.AudioImporter.compressionBitrate' is obsolete: `AudioImporter.compressionBitrate is no longer supported'

Assets/Psai/Editor/PsaiMultiAudioObjectEditor.cs(172,16): error CS0122: `UnityEditor.AudioImporter.format' is inaccessible due to its protection level

Assets/Psai/Editor/PsaiMultiAudioObjectEditor.cs(173,16): error CS1061: Type `UnityEditor.AudioImporter' does not contain a definition for `loadType' and no extension method `loadType' of type `UnityEditor.AudioImporter' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/Psai/Editor/PsaiMultiAudioObjectEditor.cs(176,16): error CS0619: `UnityEditor.AudioImporter.compressionBitrate' is obsolete: `AudioImporter.compressionBitrate is no longer supported'

Any advice on how to proceed? In the meantime I'll use on Windows in 4.6 in the meantime. Thanks for your time and attention.

-Mike

5. Werkmeister

Werkmeister

Hi,

we are currently working on providing psai music packages covering different applications and styles of music but they are not available yet. So in the meantime you will have to create your own psai music using the psai Editor which you can download from our website www.homeofpsai.com

You may let us know your preferred style of music and application so we can take your input into account.

Cheers,
    Jan
    Periscope Studio

6. ponx

ponx

Hi Mike, thanks for you nice feedback, and also for the bug report! We will add Beta 5.0 support as soon as possible, expect a new psai version by the end of next week.
    cheers, andy / ponx

MikeTon likes this.
  7. Andrew-Benz

Andrew-Benz

Awesome tool so far!

Only issues I've had is the Psai Editor seems to only like .wav files exported out from Audacity. It can't read any of my .wavs that I exported out of Adobe Audition and Pro Tools.

Support got back to me right right away and have been extremely helpful! Looking forward to digging into even more!

P.S. Love the Multi Audio Object Editor!! Such a huge time saver!

8. ponx

ponx

fixed in psai Editor version 1.1.1 , thanks again, Andrew!

9. MikeTon

MikeTon

That would be wonderful. Such fast response too! Thanks for your time and consideration.

-Mike

10. ponx

ponx

hi again, Mike! Unity 5.0 support is on the way, but we need another two weeks, sorry for the delay! The next psai update will be massive, stay tuned!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    MikeTon likes this.
  11. sowatnow

sowatnow

Hi
    Will this work with android /ios?

12. ponx

ponx

Hi sowatnow, yes it is successfully tested on Android and should also work fine on iOS. Actually it should work on any platform supported by Unity, as we don't use any native code and everything is based on the Unity API.

sowatnow likes this.
  13. sowatnow

sowatnow

Ok Cool, thank you. It's in my list now :).

14. ponx

ponx

Hi everyone! The lastest psai Update 1.5.15 is now available in the Asset Store!
    We added tons of new features and further improved usability!

2015-01-27 1.5.15
    * added Unity 5.0 compatibility
    * added a whole bunch of Trigger scripts that let you integrate and control a soundtrack without any scripting!
    * PsaiOneShotTrigger
    * PsaiGenericTrigger
    * PsaiTriggerOnButtonDown
    * PsaiTriggerOnEnable
    * PsaiGoToRest
    * PsaiStopMusic
    * PsaiReturnToLastBasicMood
    * introducing TriggerConditions: Just drag them on any GameObject that holds a Trigger component to further define when it should fire:
    * PsaiTcSkipIfNotVisible
    * PsaiTcSkipIfComponentIsDisabled
    * PsaiTcSkipIfThemeTypeIsPlaying
    * PsaiSoundtrackLoader now supports Drag & Drop
    * added customized Inspectors for all Trigger scripts
    * fixed playback of wrong Segments when no Wrappers were used
    * fixed PsaiCore.Instance not reinitializing properly on Level reload

New videos are also on the way. Also, please check out our new webplayer Demo: Angry Bots
    http://www.homeofpsai.com/webplayer/angrybots/angrybots.html

cheers, andy / ponx

MikeTon and Werkmeister like this.
  15. Werkmeister

Werkmeister

SL_facebook_cover.png
    We are happy to officially announce our partnership with Dynamedion's vast royalty free music library Sonic Liberty / Klangfreiheit!

Go to www.sonicliberty.com, choose the tracks you like and use them as interactive psai® music within your Unity game. Get in touch with us at info@sonicliberty.com to learn more!

ABOUT SONIC LIBERTY
    SONIC LIBERTY, the new royalty free production music library by DYNAMEDION – Europe’s biggest game audio studio. More than 2000 carefully selected tracks from international successful producers and composers that contributed music for projects such as:

• The ANNO Series
    • The Settlers Series
    • Crysis 2
    • RYSE: Son Of Rome
    • The Hobbit – The Desolation of Smaug // TRAILER
    • and many many more

Use our intelligent search engine to find the perfect music for your project. Find tracks by Category, Instrument, Tempo, Mood or Keywords. Search through our extensive database of high-quality musical works. Dig into thousands of professional tracks from a plethora of genres like „Action“, „Sci-Fi", „Trailer“, „Adventure“ and more.

SONIC LIBERTY - it has never been easier to find high-quality royalty-free music.

16. MikeTon

MikeTon

Awesome Unity 5.0 compatibility! Thanks for the work.

-Mike

17. radimoto

radimoto

Hi there, I'm trying to use psai on my project that uses Bolt Networking. It seems that both Assets use protobuf-net.dll which gives me the following error:

Plugin 'protobuf-net.dll' is used from several locations:
    Assets/bolt/assemblies/editor/protobuf-net.dll would be copied to <PluginPath>/protobuf-net.dll
    Assets/Psai/Psai/bin/protobuf-net.dll would be copied to <PluginPath>/protobuf-net.dll
    Please fix plugin settings and try again.

If I delete Psai/Psai/bin/protobuf-net.dll I get the following error:

Assets/Psai/Psai/src/psaiCoreEntities.cs(14,45): error CS0400: The type or namespace name `ProtoBuf' could not be found in the global namespace (are you missing an assembly reference?)
    Assets/Psai/Psai/src/psaiCoreEntities.cs(78,43): error CS0400: The type or namespace name `ProtoBuf' could not be found in the global namespace (are you missing an assembly reference?)
    Assets/Psai/Psai/src/psaiCoreEntities.cs(152,41): error CS0400: The type or namespace name `ProtoBuf' could not be found in the global namespace (are you missing an assembly reference?)
    Assets/Psai/Psai/src/psaiCoreEntities.cs(270,54): error CS0400: The type or namespace name `ProtoBuf' could not be found in the global namespace (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Running strings over the dll shows both dlls using protobuf-net version 2.0.0.668

Any idea how these two Assets can co-exist with each other? I would really like to use psai in my multiplayer game that uses Bolt Networking.

18. ponx

ponx

hi radimoto! We are about to get rid of protobuf-net in one of the next psai updates, so you can load the psai project files directly within the engine. Until then, try the following:
    1. in the Psai.prefab, remove the "PsaiSoundtrackLoader" component
    2. add the "PsaiSoundtrackByProjectLoader" component instead.
    3. rename your "MySoundtrackProject.psai" to "MySoundtackProject.xml"
    4. have your MySoundtrackProject.xml loaded by your Psai.prefab as you did before with the soundtrack.bytes file

Now there's technically no need for psai to access the protobuf-net and you can remove psaiCoreEntities.cs which is causing the error. You may have to edit your way through a cascade of upfollowing errors though. I hope we can provide the patch including the official solution for that in around 4 weeks. cheers, andy / ponx

19. ponx

ponx

Hi all! We changed our business model! The psai Engine is now free, and we only charge for the psai Editor. If you purchased psai already, you are now a psai Pro user. Please update your psai Music Engine Pro, and follow the instructions in the "Documentation/psai Pro registration.pdf" to (re)gain access to the psai Editor.
    best greetings and sorry for the inconvenience!
    andy / ponx

OnePxl likes this.
  20. Werkmeister

Werkmeister

+ + + NEW PSAI DEMO ANGRY BOTS + + +

Hi there!
    We have created a new psai demo using the psai Demo Soundtrack on Unity's "Angry Bots". We implemented a full set of interactive music features such as location music, battle music, boss fight music and a victory theme. All of them adapt to gameplay based on location, spotted status, distance to enemy, number of enemies etc.

In addition to the new demo we also recorded three new tutorial videos. Ponx explains you how the interactive music features have been achieved without any scripting - only by dragging and dropping our new preconfigured psai scripts (those came with psai update 1.5.15).

Here is the new demo:
    AngryBotsDemo.jpg
    http://homeofpsai.com/webplayer/angrybots/angrybots.html

Tutorial 1 - Location Music:

Tutorial 2 - Battle Music:

Tutorial 3 - Boss Fight:

Enjoy!

Jan
    Periscope Studio

Brogan89 and OnePxl like this.
  21. Brogan89

Brogan89

Hi there

Really loving Psai, the stand alone Editor has really sped up progress for my Music Masters project and I thank you for this - Money well spent. I am not a programmer and I've been slaving away trying to make something like this in Max7. Which was working but very clunky and no where near as flexible as this program. I am glad now I can focus on composition.

I have a question though, in regards to the "TriggerOnPlayerCollision" script, my player isn't being recognised by the OnTriggerEnter functions "if" statement. e.g if (other == PlayerCollider),
    but it would work when I used the collision if statement that Iv been using for this project . if (other.gameObject.tag == "Player")

I am wondering why I can't get it to work with your if statement. I would rather use the original script as I'd have to modify every if statement where this occurs and I would like to keep it to drag'n'drop as much as I can.

I hope this question isn't too painfully noobish.

22. ponx

ponx

Hi Gnostic, thanks for your kind feedback! You can assign the "Player Collider" parameter in the TriggerOnPlayerCollision manually (just drag & drop as usual). If none has been assigned, psai will search the scene for a GameObject (with a Collider) named "Player". (This is why assigning manually wasn't neccessary in the tutorial videos) Looking also for a tag with that name is a good advice though! We will add it in the next update.
    I hope that helps, if you need more help please don't hesitate to contact us: devsupport@periscopestudio.de

cheers, andy / ponx

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    Brogan89 likes this.
  23. Werkmeister

Werkmeister

Hi everybody!
    There is an updated version 1.1.2 of the psai Editor standalone application available for all registered psai Pro Users.

Version 1.1.2 changes:

* fixed timing problems and bad framerate of integrated Player on lower-end machines
    * fixed: wrong timing in Playback Panel when 'full playback' was pressed twice
    * fixed: some .wav files were not played back in the psai Player ("unsupported wave format")
    * psai engine logging output is now redirected to the Player window
    * Theme property panel now contains a "Rest Mode" tab

Note:
    If you purchased psai before February 2015, you are now a psai Pro User. Please update your psai Music Engine Pro, and follow the instructions in the "Documentation/psai Pro registration.pdf" to register and get access to the latest version of the psai Editor.

24. OnePxl

OnePxl

Does the editor still have problems on the Mac?

25. ponx

ponx

hello OnePxl, sorry for the late response! Yes, i'm sorry to say that currently the psai Editor is only available for MS Windows. We are planning a complete overhaul so we can support Mac and Linux as well, hopefully within this year.

26. WendelinReich

WendelinReich

Hi devs!

Purchased psai a few months ago on a whim, and now just getting started. It looks awesome so far, exactly what I need and with a great philosophy behind it.

One question though from a total audio-noob. You explain very clearly that psai is specifically for music rather than FX, voice and such things. I also happen to own Master Audio and I wonder if two such audio packages can be used alongside each other. Do they have to be "integrated" or can they just ignore each other? Does psai take up 1 or more than 1 of Unity's 32 simultaneous audio sources?

Thanks! /Wendi

27. ponx

ponx

Hello Wendi,
    sorry for the late response and thanks for your kind feedback!
    psai usually only uses two (stereo-)channels while playing, which already includes the short layering phase during segment transitions. In rare cases (when additionaly playing a highlight layering effect during a segment transition) this may go up to three simultaneous channels. Psai uses the common Audio API of Unity (AudioSources and AudioClips) for playback, so it's safe to use along with any other audio library your game might be using.

best greetings and thanks for your purchase!
    andy / ponx

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    WendelinReich likes this.
  28. Werkmeister

Werkmeister

+ + + NEW PSAI VIDEO: WHAT IS PSAI? + + +

You don't know what psai is?
    You don't know what psai does exactly?

This is for you: :)
    Cover_Play.jpg
    Enjoy!

29. Werkmeister

Werkmeister

OVERVIEW: WHERE TO GET PSAI MUSIC FROM?

We often get asked where you can get psai music from. Here is a quick overview, hope it helps:

1. UNITY ASSET STORE: You can purchase ready-to-go psai music in Unity Asset Store. (Available very soon! We are working on it.) Using the psai music ingame requires the FREE psai music engine (www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/29347). No extra costs.

2. SONIC LIBERTY: You can go to our partners at www.sonicliberty.com and purchase tracks there. Their catalogue of high quality music is huge, prices are decent, licensing is very simple and transparent. Once you have chosen your tracks, please let them know that you want to receive psai-compatible music themes. The music will be prepared for psai-use WITHOUT any extra charge, you are being charged regular prices. Using the psai music ingame requires the FREE psai music engine (www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/29347). No extra costs.

3. PSAI EDITOR: You can create your own psai music using the psai editor. You need to purchase the psai music engine PRO from the Unity Asset Store to do so, current price is $45, it includes the psai editor standalone-application (www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/24788).

You can either use pre-existing tracks (you will need to segment them, we achieved awesome results working with pre-existing tracks) or you can compose custom tracks for psai-use (if you are into music or have a composer at hand).

In case you need any help with preparing tracks, extending or tuning your interactive music, feel free to contact us, we are able to help you at very reasonable rates.

30. Werkmeister

Werkmeister

+ + + NEW PSAI VIDEO: THE PSAI PLAYER + + +

Here is a new video explaining how to use the psai Player when checking out psai soundtracks:
    PlayerVideoThumbnail_Playbutton_small.jpg
    Enjoy!

31. wolfen231

wolfen231

I have tried contacting you guys to get my psai stand alone application. I have not had a response. Please get in touch with me.

32. ponx

ponx

hi wolfen, sorry for the delay! we currently have troubles with the build server. I hope we can send you a download link within a few hours. Worst case: on monday. Sorry again!

WendelinReich likes this.
  33. Werkmeister

Werkmeister

Hey guys, you definitely should check out our psai music packages in Unity Asset Store! We changed our pricing, it's top-notch interactive music at a bargain.

34. dibdab

dibdab

hello, could you include the demo of player walking around in that room? thanks.

35. ibreaz

ibreaz

Hello. I think psai is a great tool and I thank you for saving a lot of my development time.
    I have a suggestion.
    Could you also create a demo of controlling psai from code directly?
    It should cover only basic things: initialization, calling a theme with some intensity every x seconds, holding the intensity, stopping the music, cleanup at end (and also some other functions that you think are frequent)

Thanks

36. AndyPonx

AndyPonx

Hello ibreaz, thanks for your kind feedback! The use of psai is very simple - just have a look into the PsaiSoundtrackLoader.cs and and any script in the "Triggers" folder to see how it's used. Actually it's not worth including an extra demo - it's basically just two lines of code:
    PsaiCore.Instance.LoadSoundtrack(myFilename);
    PsaiCore.Instance.TriggerMusicTheme(myThemeId);
    ..and psai will start playing. The other methods are equally simple, just have a look at our API Reference.
    The code included in PsaiCoreManager.cs is mainly responsible for synchronizing situations where a lot of different calls to TriggerMusicTheme() fire concurrently. So depending on your type of game, you may very well do without using the PsaiCoreManager at all, and stick to calling the psai API calls directly.

best greetings,
    andy

37. AndyPonx

AndyPonx

hi dibdab, sorry for the late response! I'm sorry we cannot include the demo for legal reasons, but the script we are using the TriggerWhenInRange.cs script, as explained in this video.
    I hope that helps, best greetings,
    andy

38. dibdab

dibdab

okay, but how the music is mixed, that's what is unclear to me.

I thought that demo was unity's assets, but you don't even need to include them, a simple demo of triggers/psaiPlayers would suffice.(charcontroller from standard assets is good enough). if it's because of the soundsamples, those can be else too. I was a bit lost how to use psai

39. AndyPonx

AndyPonx

please have a look at the "how segments are mixed" section in our manual.
    There's also a step-by-step video series where you can watch me implementing the complete interactive soundtrack for "AngryBots":

cheers, andy

40. ponx

ponx

Hi all, we are happy to announce that psai Music Engine 1.7.2 is now available in the Unity Asset Store! It now comes with a whole bunch of improvements, the DemoSoundtrack integrated and 3 ready-to-go Demo Scenes.
    You can also now route the psai output through a dedicated AudioMixerGroup, thereby adding any audio effects that come with Unity 5.
    Please try out our brand new WebGL "Rollerball" Demo! We hope you like it.

http://homeofpsai.com/webgl/Rollerball

41. kyuubi

kyuubi

Hey,

I am trying out the free engine to evaluate if we use Psai for our game.

It's looking amazing however we are using Adventure Creator and I'm trying to create a custom action that basically calls TriggerMusicTheme so I can trigger it from AC dialogs and such.

In my script I call PsaiCore.Instance.TriggerMusicTheme, it switches to the correct theme but then crashes.

I am using the demo soundtrack.

Can you assist?

Here is the dump:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. psai.net.AudioPlaybackLayerChannelUnity.psai.net.IAudioPlaybackLayerChannel.LoadSegment (psai.net.Segment segment) (at Assets/Psai/Psai/src/AudioPlaybackLayerChannelUnity.cs:216)
    3. psai.net.PlaybackChannel.LoadSegment (psai.net.Segment snippet) (at Assets/Psai/Psai/src/PlaybackChannel.cs:129)
    4. psai.net.Logik.LoadSegment (psai.net.Segment snippet, Int32 channelIndex) (at Assets/Psai/Psai/src/Logik.cs:2264)
    5. psai.net.Logik.PlaySegment (psai.net.Segment targetSnippet, Boolean immediately) (at Assets/Psai/Psai/src/Logik.cs:2174)
    6. psai.net.Logik.PlayThemeNowOrAtEndOfCurrentSegmentAndStartEvaluation (Int32 themeId, Single intensity, Int32 musicDuration, Boolean immediately, Boolean holdIntensity) (at Assets/Psai/Psai/src/Logik.cs:2611)
    7. psai.net.Logik.TriggerMusicTheme (psai.net.Theme argTheme, Single argIntensity, Int32 argMusicDuration) (at Assets/Psai/Psai/src/Logik.cs:1615)
    8. psai.net.Logik.TriggerMusicTheme (Int32 argThemeId, Single argIntensity) (at Assets/Psai/Psai/src/Logik.cs:1287)
    9. psai.net.PsaiCore.TriggerMusicTheme (Int32 themeId, Single intensity) (at Assets/Psai/Psai/src/PsaiCore.cs:372)
    10. AC.ActionPsaiTriggerMusicTheme.Run () (at Assets/The Seven Tides/Scripts/AC Actions/ActionPsaiTriggerMusicTheme.cs:42)
    11. AC.ActionList+<RunAction>c__Iterator2.MoveNext () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:318)
    12. UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(String, Object)
    13. AC.ActionList:processAction(Int32) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:284)
    14. AC.ActionList:processActionEnd(ActionEnd, Int32, Boolean) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:461)
    15. AC.ActionList:EndAction(Action) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:387)
    16. AC.<RunAction>c__Iterator2:MoveNext() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/ActionList.cs:356)

42. kyuubi

kyuubi

Figured it out. Was missing the LoadSountrack method before!

43. kyuubi

kyuubi

We just bought it! Another question, is there a way to play sound across scenes?

44. kyuubi

kyuubi

Our music producer bought the package but we see no standalone app? Can you please let me know where to get it?

Thanks

45. ponx

ponx

hi kyuubi, thanks for the purchase and sorry for the inconveniece! you will get a download link to your DRM-free psai Editor application by email (please follow the instructions in "PsaiProRegistration.pdf" in the "Psai" folder of your Project). We hope we can come up with a more convenient solution some day soon.
    To make psai keep playing between Scenes, call "Object.DontDestroyOnLoad(myPsaiGameObject)" before switching the Scene, to prevent your Psai.prefab instance from being destroyed. We will provide a boolean flag for this in one of the upcoming updates.
    best greetings and let us know if any more questions arise! andy / ponx

46. kyuubi

kyuubi

Hi Andy,

Thank you so much for the quick reply.

Thanks for the instructions and looking forward to getting started!

Cheers,

47. kyuubi

kyuubi

Hi Andy,
    Our guy bought this on Friday and still hasn't received it.
    We are extremely keen on getting started can you please check this as soon as possible?
    The already sent the email to you guys according to the instructions in the file that comes with the package.
    Cheers,

48. kyuubi

kyuubi

Hi,

So we finally got the standalone app, but there is something wrong with the soundtrack.

When I set it up in unity (player or game) it has gaps when transitioning between segments.

See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=_LL36G5yr1k

Have any idea of what this might be?

Cheers

49. ponx

ponx

dear users, the latest Unity beta patches are no longer working properly with psai due to changes to the streaming audio system in version Unity 5.3.5 p6 and newer. We cannot fix that on our side and have informed the Unity engineers to hopefully address this problem soon, so until that we recommend sticking to version 5.3.4f1, or setting the LoadType of your audio clips to "Compressed In Memory" Thanks for your patience!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  50. gevarre

gevarre

Just downloaded and installed the plug-in and set up a scene following your integration tutorial. When I hit play, everything works fine except that I can't click on any of the buttons in the play window. Any idea why that might be?

I'm using Unity 5.4.0b21.