Search Unity

Provisioning Profile for iOS

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by ina, Mar 6, 2011.

1. ina

ina

Got this error while trying to run the maze iPhone example on my device, and not finding any info to RTFM fix this:

Code Sign error: a valid provisioning profile matching the application's Identifier 'com.unity3d.maze' could not be found

I did try generating a provisioning profile, but not sure if I did it right.. Again, there seems very little info on how to fix this.. Please help!

2. EyeSix

EyeSix

The entire provisioning system is a little convoluted, but basically, I would say, don't use the assistant to set up your profile.

First, in the "iOS provisioning portal" section of the iOS developer site, click on "App IDs" and generate a new App ID, give it a description and generate a new prefix and set the suffix as (as a general rule) "com.YOURCOMPANYNAME.YOURGAMENAME".

Then, click on "Provisioning" on the left, click "New Profile", Fill in your your boxes (using your developer certificate), and select which devices you want to test it on,

This should generate a new profile which you can download and simply drag it from finder into Xcode.

Then, in Unity, make sure in the "Player Settings" section you have set your bundle ID to the same as your suffix from earlier. Build your project.

Then, when you've built it, make sure you sign your app with the correct certificate in xcode, build your project and install it on your device.

If you have any issues just ask.

3. ina

ina

4. ina

ina

Also, does this mean you have to generate a new appid and provisioning profile for each game you create? Even if they're just local tests on your device (not to be deployed publicly)

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

During development, no you don't have to
    for more, yes you have to

please checkout the documentation apple provides in this relation, they explain this and more which you will meet on your path and its crucial to know those things or you will hit several further walls otherwise

6. ina

ina

@EyeSix - Which xcode window do you drag and drop the provisioning profile to?

Is there a way to set a wildcard bundle ID in Unity to not have to use a new one for each app to test?

7. ina

ina

after much fumbling around, i finally got this app to run on device! (Apparently the provisioning and certs have to be drag and dropped to the Unity-iphone folder in xcode project hierarchy)

I am still not exactly clear on how bundle ID relates to testing. I come from Android Dev on Flash, where you can self-sign a self-generated certificate once and then use that to test all your aps on device. Is there a way to set up a wildcard appID/provisioning to use for all test apps on device?

8. EyeSix

EyeSix

Glad you got it sorted - it takes a bit of getting used to at first, but is fairly straightforward after that.

You can set up a single bundle ID for all your testing, if you use * as the suffix, then in Unity use your full app ID prefix followed by anything - ie, "YB45EFX1.WHATEVER"

I generally have a testing profile and a distribution profile for each app, it's easier for the way I work, and then I just drag the Profile onto the XCode icon in my dock.

I don't think it's possible to self sign on iOS, but I may be wrong, I've never really looked into it.:)