Search Unity

A narrative RPG game with a story-driven battle system

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by cozduin, Aug 29, 2015.

1. cozduin

cozduin

This thread is a follow-up to a thread I made in the design subforum, the base idea is that the stats of your allies are based solely on the degree of friendship they have with them. In a gauge, it would be metered between the like of "Arch-Nemesis", passing through "Situational Ally", and maybe even, in extreme cases, er, "Forever Lover".

You'd gather friendship (or hardship) based solely through dialogue through out the story.
    In a battle, when you choose your allies, the highest the level of friendship they have, the higher their damage. Be careful to choose allies with low friendship, as they can even turn against you in the battle! Conversely, the higher the hate you gathered from the opposing team, the higher the damage they will inflict.

Our own personal stats would be based solely on our background, and our leveling based on the friends and decisions we make throughout the game.

So, now I finished an early prototype of that concept, and made a video out of it. (I'd recommend watching it full screen if you like me have a hard time reading small letters)

To write the story, in the beginning I was using Twine, with a Twee parser inside the code to handles the custom markups like images and stats,but later as it got more complex it turned out that it would be easier if I had a custom editor, so I made an editor that will support components with things like scenery changes.

As you'd expect everything are still placeholders and subject to change, but I hope you find the game play enticing for more in the future. :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  2. tedthebug

tedthebug

Looks good. How are you finding scripting in twine for your prototyping?

3. cozduin

cozduin

The syntax for the Twee code generated by Twine is generally quite simple, I usually just put my custom markups inside the body of each passage, so Twine thinks it's normal text and doesn't bother with it. I then import the exported Twee code as a TextAsset in Unity and parse it, first the vanilla syntax and then the markups. It is really not that complex, overall I'm liking it.

tedthebug likes this.
  4. cozduin

cozduin

Update!

Just finished the first version of a custom story editor. It has save and load capabilities so it allows collaborative work, and the story nodes allows for the inclusion of basically anything via a component model.