Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Proper way to destroy NetworkMatches

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Necromantic, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Necromantic

Necromantic

What's the proper way to destroy a NetworkMatch?

When I try to use DestroyMatch on the NetworkMatch with either creating a DestroyMatchRequest with the networkId set or just passing the networkId from the MatchInfo I get the following Response:
    I'm basically making a game that automatically matches up two people at "random".
    I first search the MatchList and if there is no suitable match it creates one and acts as the host or if one is found it joins as a client. So either after connecting the clients or after the game ends I want the Match to be removed. But I don't seem to be able to manually remove it. Meaning sometimes if I try to start a new game just after ending another one it will find the remainder of the old match and try to join it, basically connecting to nobody.
    Destroying the NetworkMatch component doesn't change anything either.

2. JeremyUnity

JeremyUnity

Matches are cleaned up automatically, as are clients that don't send a packet to relay for 30 seconds. That's the shortly after timing window you're seeing.

That error looks like a poorly formatted way of the server saying the client you're connecting from is already disconnected; Once that happens it can no longer manage the network it was involved in.

In other words, in order to destroy a network the client requesting the destruction needs to be the host for the match and connected. It looks like the disconnection had already happened in this case.

3. Necromantic

Necromantic

What exactly is the host connection though? Because when you create a match you don't have to actually join it.
    I get the exact same error when I try to destroy the match just after both the client/server and the client connected to each other, so when they apparently are still connected because that connection has just been established through the MatchInfo.

This is a simplified version of my connection logic. Am I missing something? All of it gets called, just with a failure for the DestroyMatch. Setting the access token does not change the behaviour. (Am I missing something?)
    Code (CSharp):
    2.     public void OnServerConnect(NetworkMessage msg) {
    3.         networkMatch.DestroyMatch(matchInfo.networkId, OnMatchDestroy);
    4.     }
    6.     public void OnMatchCreate(CreateMatchResponse createMatchResponse) {
    7.         if (createMatchResponse.success) {
    8.             //Utility.SetAccessTokenForNetwork(createMatchResponse.networkId, new NetworkAccessToken(createMatchResponse.accessTokenString));
    9.             matchInfo = new MatchInfo(createMatchResponse);
    10.             NetworkServer.RegisterHandler(MsgType.Connect, OnServerConnect);
    12.             ConnectionConfig config = new ConnectionConfig();
    13.             config.AddChannel(QosType.ReliableSequenced);
    14.             config.AddChannel(QosType.ReliableSequenced);
    15.             NetworkServer.Configure(config, 2);
    17.             if (NetworkServer.Listen(matchInfo, 6789)) {
    18.                 client = ClientScene.ConnectLocalServer();
    20.                 ClientScene.RegisterPrefab(playerPrefab);
    21.                 ClientScene.RegisterPrefab(ballPrefab);
    22.             } else {
    23.                 Debug.LogError("Error listening on port " + 6789);
    24.             }
    25.         } else {
    26.             Debug.LogError("Error creating match");
    27.         }
    28.     }
    30.     public void OnMatchJoined(JoinMatchResponse joinMatchResponse) {
    31.         if (joinMatchResponse.success) {
    32.             //Utility.SetAccessTokenForNetwork(joinMatchResponse.networkId, new NetworkAccessToken(joinMatchResponse.accessTokenString));
    33.             matchInfo = new MatchInfo(joinMatchResponse);
    34.             client = new NetworkClient();
    36.             ConnectionConfig config = new ConnectionConfig();
    37.             config.AddChannel(QosType.ReliableSequenced);
    38.             config.AddChannel(QosType.ReliableSequenced);
    39.             client.Configure(config, 1);
    41.            ClientScene.RegisterPrefab(ballPrefab);
    42.            ClientScene.RegisterPrefab(playerPrefab);
    44.            client.Connect(matchInfo);
    45.         } else {
    46.             Debug.LogError("Error joining match");
    47.         }
    48. }

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  4. aspiering

aspiering

I would like some more information on this as well as I am running into the same issue. Is it making the assumption that server would also be connected to the server as a client ?

5. aspiering

aspiering

Is there anything on this ? I am still having this issue and its actually preventing me from using this service because I don't want stale rooms showing up on the list.

6. Necromantic

Necromantic

I've been busy the last few weeks but I see nothing much has changed. Can we get an update on this Jeremy?

For me it's even worse since I have automatic matchmaking and it basically connects the clients to empty matches.

7. Vennril

Vennril

Even if we pretend this would work, I'm seeing a problem:
    If the host disconnects unintentionally (because his connection drops), you would still end up with the same issue.

So I think it would make more sense if the MatchList request wouldn't return empty matches to begin with. - Which I suggested in another thread, but no info on that yet.

8. Necromantic

Necromantic

In theory there might be use cases for empty Matches, like creating one but for whatever reason not joining directly.
    You could also just filter matches with 0 people in them but it would still be nice if this was actually working.

9. isidro02139

isidro02139

FYI there is a channel on irc.freenode.net (#unity3d-unet) where people might have more answers eventually, seeing as unet is still in it's infancy ;)

And some other resources here: https://goo.gl/UmBBpM

10. Vennril

Vennril

I'm not so sure about that. You couldn't join that empty match afterwards, since you can't join matches with no host in it.

How would you do that? I'm genuinely curious. ListMatch requests have no filter for that, and even the matches themselves don't seem to expose the number of players inside them.

11. Necromantic

Necromantic

You get back a list of matches though and the info tells you how many people are connected to it.

The problem is that in my case it still says there is one connection on it even though there isn't.

12. Kristonitas

Kristonitas

I have been trying to do the same thing. The only quick solution I presume would be to have an offline list of matches, that you failed to join and the filter them out by yourself.

This is the code I use for my simple 1v1 matchmaker:

Code (CSharp):
    2. void OnMyMatchList(ListMatchResponse matchList){
    3.         for (int i = 0; i < matchList.matches.Count; i++) {
    4. // Also check if failed to connect
    5.             if(matchList.matches[i].currentSize > 1)
    6.                 continue;
    7.             matchMaker.JoinMatch(matchList.matches[i].networkId, "", OnMatchJoined);
    8.             return;
    9.         }
    10.         //            startMyOwn
    11.         matchMaker.CreateMatch("name", 2, true, "", OnMatchCreate);
    13.     }
    When I join an empty server (the second time at least), I get an error like this:
    But when I join the empty server the first time, it fails silently

I hope there is a way to determine if everything went well on the callback "OnMatchJoined" (since it always fires), because the only other way is to check manually after a few seconds if you actually joined, but that would be also very slow and unreliable.

The reason empty servers are created is that I can turn off my android game without quitting properly, f.e. Build&Run. If I quit, I can destroy match and it gets removed almost always.

13. tribio

tribio

I don't get it.. but Unity 5 is still in beta?!!!!:confused:
    It's a few days that I using the new Networking and I found more problems than solutions here!

14. Gorgor

Gorgor

Hi, anybody found a solution to this? Still happening to me :( Basically matchmaking is useless for final product thanks to this :(

15. Terko

Terko

Having this issue too. Any known solutions?

16. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

Ping

I have the same problem... if the host disconnects, and tries to connect a few seconds after, he joins an empty lobby.
    Checking the number of players in the room does not help as it states there is one player, even if there is 0...

17. Anisoropos

Anisoropos

Same here, hope they fix it soon :/

18. UnityForge

UnityForge

same here

19. carmine

carmine

This is definitely not happening.
    - I have a match that won't go away. I've tried rebooting, quitting Unity, etc. It's not going away.
    - I can attempt to Join it (it seems to think 4 players are connected) even though I'm the only one trying it (it's in development)
    - If I try to create a match I get an error that looks like my CCU is exceeded? However according to the list I only have 1 match that is 4 of 20 players?

Please advise...

Create Failed:[[UnityEngine.Networking.Match.CreateMatchResponse]-success:False-extendedInfo:Failed; CCU exceeded for appId=725151]-address:,port:0,networkId:0x0000000000000000,nodeId:0x0000,usingRelay:False
    UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkManager:OnMatchCreate(CreateMatchResponse)
    NetworkController:OnMatchCreate(CreateMatchResponse) (at Assets/_Assets/Scripts/Networking/NetworkController.cs:194)
    UnityEngine.Networking.Match.<ProcessMatchResponse>c__Iterator0`1:MoveNext()

GrymmyD likes this.
  20. GrymmyD

GrymmyD

I am also experiencing this. In the past matches that were hosted and improperly exited (i.e. stop the debugger without leaving match cleanly) would be cleaned up in approximately 30 seconds. Today I've run into a scenario where a game that I created is lingering and isn't being GC'd due to inactivity. Also attempted quitting Unity / disconnecting network for minutes / rebooting same as @carmine.

21. AndyUr

AndyUr

I'm struggling with a similar behavior, although I haven't encountered the limit with CCU yet.

There is a lingering match that allegedly has 9 users in it. For my matchmaking I require only 1 match to exist with some specific name, so users can automatically join that one. Having duplicates of this match poses a problem with this.

I tried calling Destroy on that match from my client. But I'm not sure if this is supposed to work, since I'm not the host of this lingering match. This is one of the messages I get.

I'm right now trying to do what the message suggests, and do that check.

GrymmyD likes this.
  22. GrymmyD

GrymmyD

Yup, that lingering match issue is exactly what I'm experiencing.

23. pixel_maniacs

pixel_maniacs

Same here, how am i supposed to destroy a match? Another workaround would be to rename the match with a Tag once the host leaves. But I do not see any possibility to do so.

24. Silktoid

Silktoid

Any updates on this? Does anyone know how to disconnect properly when the game is closed while still connected? I have tried disconnecting OnApplicationQuit, and it seems to work for the Windows standalone, but stopping execution in the editor still makes a match stay around until cleanup. The same proplem happens with the android build since OnApplicationQuit is never executed. Using OnApplicationPause in that instance isn't really a solution since then the client will disconnect from the server everytime it tabs out of the game.

Using lochmanns workaround would help greatly since then it would be possible to filter out servers waiting for cleanup.

25. RonnyKibet

RonnyKibet

Experiencing the same when re-entering the lobby to join another match. Previous connection cannot be destroyed.
    If anyone found a solution, it would be amazing to share.

Chom1czek likes this.
  26. Julian-G

Julian-G

No updates since July!?

27. asveron

asveron

I'm also experiencing the same issue.
    Not really sure the best way to destroy the match.
    When I do matchmaking I still run into the "empty rooms" where a player left but the room hasn't closed yet.

I've tried this:
    networkManager.matchMaker.DestroyMatch (matchInfo.networkId, 0, networkManager.OnDestroyMatch);

However when I search again, it still shows the room and it hasn't been destroyed.

*Edit 3

Found a slightly better solution.

1. set your class to inherit Network manager.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public class Matchmaker : NetworkManager {
    2. Override the OnClientDisconect function. Call your matchmaking function in it.
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     public void startMatchmaking() {
    2.         StartMatchMaker ();
    3.         SetMatchHost("us1-mm.unet.unity3d.com", this.matchPort, true);
    4.         matchMaker.ListMatches (0, 20, "", false, 0, 0, this.OnMatchList);
    5.         isMatchmaking = true;
    6.         isSearching = true;
    7.         cyclingSearchingText.isCycling = true;
    8.     }
    10.     public override void OnClientDisconnect (NetworkConnection conn)
    11.     {
    12.         base.OnClientDisconnect (conn);
    14.         print ("client disconnect");
    15.         // makes sure the disconnect happened before the game began
    16.         // you don't want to start another matchmaker during your game
    17.         if (!battle.isBattling) {
    18.             startMatchmaking ();
    19.         }
    20.     }
    After the server times out in 30 seconds, you'll be disconnected from the server and OnClientDisconnect will be called. Usually its less than 30 seconds because it starts counting down as soon as the host left, rather than 30 seconds from when you joined.

I've tried using "public override void OnMatchJoined" but it has inconsistent results. Most of the time it'll say that I succeeded. But sometimes it realizes that the matchmaking failed because the host is not there. So perhaps you could call your startMatchmaking there as well if you want matchmaking times to be slightly more snug when it does notice it failed.

I also noticed that after OnMatchJoined is called, the player network object is almost always created within 5 seconds. Perhaps you can set a timer to check if your player has been created after OnMatchJoined is called.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    kortenoever likes this.
  28. lejean

lejean

K so I had the same problem and managed to fix it (I think).
    I don't know why it's so hidden cause preventing players from rejoining isn't that rare a feature..
    You need this for most 1v1 games (chess, card games, ..)

Anyway, this is what you need. You need to unlist the match with the IsListed bool.

When a player joins the game, the networkmanager calls OnServerAddPlayer.
    So you do what you need to do and then call the SetMatchAttributes
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public override void OnServerAddPlayer(NetworkConnection conn, short playerControllerId)
    2.     {
    3.         GameObject player = Instantiate(playerPrefab);
    4.         player.name = "HumanPlayer";
    6.         NetworkServer.AddPlayerForConnection(conn, player, playerControllerId);
    7.         if (NetworkServer.connections.Count == 2) {
    8.                matchMaker.SetMatchAttributes(matchInfo.networkId, false, matchInfo.domain, OnSetMatchAttributes);
    9.         }
    10.     }
    Likewise when a host wants to disconnect, even when the host is waiting for players, run the same code and use the callback OnSetMatchAttributes to call StopHost(); after unlisting it

Code (CSharp):
    1. public override void OnSetMatchAttributes(bool success, string extendedInfo) {
    2.         base.OnSetMatchAttributes(success, extendedInfo);
    4.         if (success) {
    5.             Debug.Log("match no longer listed");
    6.             StopHost();
    7.         }
    8.     }

29. JesusChrist17

JesusChrist17

does anybody know why if i wrote in my code networkManager.stopHost() , the unity server says that it has 1 people connected? ( match.currentSize returned 1 in find server with list match ). Thanks

30. shivansh11

shivansh11

An amazing hack! It works! I was looking for a way to get past this problem for such a long time. Now I won't have to wait for 30 seconds! Thank you very much! :)