Search Unity

Proper level geometry building tools (Unity5.2?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by darkhog, Mar 3, 2015.

1. darkhog

darkhog

I think we need some easy to use level geometry building tools, bsp-like brushes or something else entirely. Because now it is a chore to build something other than landscape with a few trees.

http://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/proper-tool-for-building-levels-geometry

Please not that this is not about things in the level, those can be built using meshes (chairs, tables, etc.), but about level itself - rooms, staircases, etc.

2. Cherno

Cherno

This would have been true 15-20 years ago when level geometry was still very basic and with a few cubes, cylinders and ramps you could create reasonably realistic and nice-looking levels without breaking the polygon limit. Nowadays, even simple walls are commonly more than a flat plane; there are uneven surfaces, missing bricks as part of the mesh, and so on. You could do all of that with brushes, sure, but it would require powerful mesh editing tools built into the Editor, and in the end, it still wouldn't be as flexible as creating static meshes in a dedicated 3D modelling apllication.

3. knr_

knr_

ProCore from the Asset Store. Simply amazing. Its a bit on the expensive side, but catch it on an Asset Store sale (I did).

It allows you to easily modify vertices or faces of 3D geometry. As simple as using Unity itself. I'm actually a bit surprised Unity hasn't gone and bought ProCore yet.