Search Unity

Projecting a line in direction of travel

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Genkidevelopment, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Genkidevelopment

Genkidevelopment

I want to project a line from a moving object in the direction of travel (For the purpose of alerting other objects that will want to intercept it).

Other objects need to be aware of the position of this line...

How might I go about this? If I need to further explain the situation, please say.

Thanks

Peace

2. Genkidevelopment

Genkidevelopment

Ok, so I thought I'd resolve the post by explaining my solution...

I will project various game objects in front of the projectile at differing timesteps... 0.1s, 0.25s, 0.5s etc...

These will be placed at the future position (basic vector match and drag modifier).

When an object wants to intercept the projectile, it asks itself... can I get to position 0.1s in 0.1s? if yes, then by all means, move along to pos 0.1s, if not, how about position 0.25s in 0.25s etc etc...

Looks realistic as hell ;) Could even implement into a non linear graph for absolute precision :D

3. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

well, the direction of travel is transform.forward

as for the rest of what you said... I've got no idea what you're talking about.

4. Genkidevelopment

Genkidevelopment

I needed a way of objects deciding if they can reach a projectile to intercept it... Thus I needed a line in front of the projectile that the other objects could look to move towards, as in, predicting where the projectile will be in x amount of time, ready to catch it ;)

5. Genkidevelopment

Genkidevelopment

What if I am moving sideways? :D

6. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

are you a crab?

ThermalFusion likes this.