Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

WIP: Project Odyssey / 2D Space Sim

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Chisokuni, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Chisokuni

Chisokuni

Hi,

I'm new at the unity forums and i'd like to share a little project i've been working on for the last weeks. It's a 2D Space shooter and trade game inspired by games like Freelancer, the X series, KSP and many others. It's my first serious project and im now in a state where i'd like some feedback and ideas.

Please feel free to visit my website and leave any constructive criticism for this project.
    In addition i'd like any correction on my English because i'm from Germany.

http://project-odyssey.jimdo.com/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  2. c4_

c4_

Hi Patrick,

Your title page says this:
    "Hi,

my name is Patrick and I'm an computer science student. In my free time I'm working on this little project. Please feel free to check out all the media on this page and leave your thoughts at the guestbook section."

My suggestion is:
    "Hi,

My name is Patrick and I'm a computer science student. In my free time I'm working on this little project. Please feel free to check out all the media on this page and leave your thoughts in the guestbook section."

Your video was awesome! I was really impressed with the customization ability of the ships! If you do make a viable story and trade system I think this will be a great game.

3. indiegamemodels

indiegamemodels

Yes, the video was great, it seems that you have a lot of freedom to build the ships, which is awesome!
    I will be following this!

4. Chisokuni

Chisokuni

I added a new Video showing my progress. new things are the particle engine animation, a multilayer background, ship separation by destroying connections and the basic landing animation for planets.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  5. Chisokuni

Chisokuni

finally got some work done on the project. there are highways now guiding you through space (much faster than flying by yourself) and the laser collision got a complete overhaul. check out the new video and see how nice it works.

if anyones interestet on how i did this please send me a PM.

6. JMcKenna

JMcKenna

Neat looking project!
    Two parts really stuck out for me -
    1. I love the modular ship customization you showed. That seems like it could be lots of fun. What do all the different blocks do? Are you going to have a resource cost for adding additional blocks?
    2. I want to hear more about the interior of the ship. You briefly showed little crew members running around inside - are they operating the engines and guns? Looks sort of FTL inspired.
    Curious to see more.

7. Chisokuni

Chisokuni

there are lots of blocks for different use. so far i have:
    - reactor block -> generates energy over time
    - battery block -> stores energy
    - shield block -> generates a spheric shield around the block
    - laser gun and laser turret block -> shoots laser. the guns have a fire radius of 30° so far. the turrets can shoot 360°
    - gyroscope block -> lets your ship turn
    - engine block -> lets your ship accelerate
    - cargobay block -> stores cargo
    - armor plates -> like a thin block with extra life

these are the blocks so far. most of them use energy or produce them so if you have lots of guns and engines you need to make sure you have enough reactors to support them. weapons also have a little battery inside so they can shoot for some time even if your main batterys are empty.
    the engines and gyroscopes are working with force that means that the ship has a mass (every block has a specific mass) and you need to have enough engines to accelerate as fast as you want.
    most of the blocks have an 1x1 interior and are uniqe. thats just because of the early state of the game. in the end id like to have lots of blocks with different sizes and powers.

speaking of the interior: yes this was inspired by FTL.
    the interior is specific to the ship you created and changes if you loose blocks in a firefight or disassemble them. at the moment the crewman can just walk around the ship. its planed that the can repair blocks, upgrade systems (like you have a shield with 100 power; the next better shield you can buy has 200 power; you can slowly upgrade the first shield to be nearly as good as the second) operate systems to make them more efficient for the time being and fighting boarding partys or board ships.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  8. codehamsters

codehamsters

Hi, I checked your homepage on a big ass monitor and I noticed that the background image is not big enough.
    I suggest you set background-size: cover; to the <body>, that should solve it. Cheers!

9. Chisokuni

Chisokuni

thanks.

this is just a template page. im working on an better page right now but i think i solved this one on the old page.

10. jameos

jameos

really impressive :D

11. Chisokuni

Chisokuni

theres a new progress post and a new section "Design" on my page www.project-odyssey.jimdo.com
    a new video, screenshots and the introduction the new addition to the project will follow shortly:

"
    Lots has happened since last time. The game now has Shaders, working with hightmaps. this gives the sprites a nice cellshader look and letzt you use lots of nice things. like light. the game has now Sunlight, the lasers are giving your hull a nice orange or green shimmer, impacts on your shield colors your hull blue for a short time and engines are glowing from the back of the ship.

next thing are the turrets. they now have a turning speed not letting you shoot upwards and then imediately down. you have to wait for the turret to adjust its rotation. this gives the guns a real nice feeling.

Another big thing is the first real ingame art designed by a new member of my so far one man team. but more on that in another post. stay tuned!"

as always please leave a comment and tell me what you think!

12. Chisokuni

Chisokuni

And here are some Screenshots showing the shader and the new turrets and guns rotation:

Screenshot4-2014-6-20-23-4.png Screenshot3-2014-6-20-23-4.png Screenshot5-2014-6-20-23-4.png

13. Chisokuni

Chisokuni

Hey guys,

theres a new update on the game.
    I implemented a new type of gun - so now we have energy weapons ( good against shields and not so good against armor ) and projectile weapons ( the other way around )
    then there are thrusters. now you need to build those to your ship to move back, left and right without rotating.
    And then there is the biggest new thing. Asteroids. with those came the mining laser to harvest them. and the cargobay now can show its full functionality by storing the ore in little containers visible in the inside view of the ship.

finally - and i know how much you guys like videos - i made a new Update Video showing most of the new features in action. there will be some new stuff in the next 2 weeks so please leave a comment.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  14. Chisokuni

Chisokuni

theres another update of the game: Docking!

if you're building a ship and it's getting to big to fit in a hangar (if your sensorfield is to big) you need to build some docking blocks to your ship. the more docking connections you have to a station the faster you can load/unload your cargo. and we're thinking about walking around in stations to accept missions and visit shops and stuff like that. here are some pictures (no desing jet, just the functionality):
    Screenshot1-2014-8-4-11-43.png Screenshot2-2014-8-4-11-43.png Screenshot3-2014-8-4-11-43.png Screenshot4-2014-8-4-11-43.png Screenshot5-2014-8-4-11-43.png

*Sensorfield is not the Range of your Sensors, its the Size your Ship appears on other Ships sensors. its an indicator on how big your ship is. imagine the sensorfield as a sphere where your ship fits in. a long thin ship has a larger sensorfield then a round ship with the same amount of blocks.

15. Chisokuni

Chisokuni

A lot has happened since last time.

I did a complete redesign of all the blocks so far, there are stations to land on an dock at, missile launcher with target seeking missiles, load/save funktions, Emergency Engines for the Bridge and a basic AI System.

I'm currently working on the Pathfinding for the AI wich is giving me some headache lately but as soon as this is done the game is ready for aplha testing.

Here are Some Screenshots of the new Boxes:

Screenshot1-2015-5-17-19-38.png Screenshot11-2015-5-17-19-39.png Screenshot27-2015-5-17-19-39.png Screenshot29-2015-5-17-19-39.png