Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games [WIP] Nexum (Very Fast Paced Sci-Fi FPS)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by KubeX, Jul 16, 2013.

1. KubeX

KubeX

2. squared55

squared55

3. IcHoRELiTE

IcHoRELiTE

Looks promising. Had some fun messing around in the web player :p Maybe add some way to track your best times in the target mode? Anyways keep it up!

4. KubeX

KubeX

Thanks. I will do the target mode later. The demo is really old but the target mode might not be scrapped. It shouldn't be too hard to save the best score on target mode.

5. KubeX

KubeX

Characters have remained mysterious until now. Here are some concept images drawn by one of my team members in color. More character concept images are on the way. The images might not be final.

Ninja
    $1525511_10202563008854050_691641510_n.jpg

Sentinel
    $1491742_10202694537222177_49987484_n.jpg

6. KubeX

KubeX

Drone's pistols got a visual upgrade.

$1548073_253756021457592_1610808998_o.jpg
    $1557560_253755981457596_529515244_n.jpg

7. KubeX

KubeX

New update. Optimized physics for knockback and grenades, new explosion effects, and a brief clip of the new pistols in action.

8. KubeX

KubeX

Next video update coming up soon. Here's a screenshot of what's going to be featured.

$1618500_257750651058129_812685008_n.jpg
    $1560384_257750927724768_791236550_n.jpg

9. KubeX

KubeX

Ninja got some updates. New throwing stars (with a slight twist) and improved wall jumping controls.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  10. KubeX

KubeX

Been redesigning some of the weapons. Any thoughts of Drone's remodeled grenade launcher?

$Z14WXXG.png

$LnKhkyy.png

11. KubeX

KubeX

Redesigned the shotgun for the Soldier. (Took me 3 hours to complete) Which version do you like better?

Standard Version
    $KIkxYtZ.png

Shortened Version
    $Vr0QecU.png

Other Pictures (Standard Version)
    $wwbl5Jx.png
    $SxrhF5P.png

12. Axtel_Sturnclaw

Axtel_Sturnclaw

I like the long version the most, but maybe have a extremely shortened version as a "collapsed" model that the functional shotgun extends out of...

Also, add some smoothing to round objects!

13. Psudoz

Psudoz

Is there a GitHub repo for this?

14. squared55

squared55

Nice job on all the above weapons; just need normal maps. :) I especially like the sights on the Grenade Launcher.

As for the shotgun, I prefer the longer version. but it's hard to say without a first-person perspective. Out of curiosity, how many polys?

15. KubeX

KubeX

4683 Verts
    4450 Faces

This is for the longer version of the shotgun.

16. KubeX

KubeX

The automatic shotgun is back. The StormShredder. It's been completely redesigned since the old version. Any thoughts on it?
    $nCLRusN.png

$UAAbu4Q.png

$3VGRwVz.png

17. Cheburek

Cheburek

I think weapons are too high-poly

18. squared55

squared55

Your modelling skilled have improved by several orders of magnitude since the thread started. :) Again, still missing a normal map and diffuse texture, but the weapon isn't done yet, so it doesn't really matter (yet, lol).

Disagree completely. These deserve to be high-poly; there going to be in your face the whole time. 4000 really isn't that much for that sort of thing today - games like Crysis have characters with 10 000 polys- heck, in Mass Effect 3, Shepard's face alone was ~7000! MAYBE make a low-poly version for enemies, but not for the player.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  19. KubeX

KubeX

This is for PC. On a mobile, it may pose some problems, but since this game is going to be released for PC, it shouldn't be a huge problem. The older models had a lot less poly but were very unappealing. If the game were to be in 3rd person view, low poly guns are ok.

20. Tidal Blast

Tidal Blast

I think you may be misunderstanding what he meant by ''weapons are too high poly''. The overall shape of your weapons is simple (which is great) and the amount of details is low enough, but both together do not justify 4000 polys. And I recommend you use Triangles count instead, because that's really what matters for the engine.

I don't know if you have that yet, but I recommend you use 2 different models.
    - First person
    - 3rd person

The first person usually has the highest polycount and only the player has to render it. You can optimize the FPS weapon model and remove polygons that we will never see, but that strictly depends on your Reload anymation if there is any.

The 3rd person model usually has a lot less triangles, mainly because players usually see it from afar, so you better use those extra triangles for more important things.

It's great that you aren't making another Clall of Duty, thank god. Keep up the hard work.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  21. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

Looks pretty good. I just worry about the balancing of classes. Especially between the Ninja and Sniper. They are very similar, except the Sniper can attack long range.

22. KubeX

KubeX

This video contains screenshots that are already displayed in this thread. However there are some character concepts that I'd like to hear feedback from.

@Ethaninja
    Unfortunately, I'm doing most of the balancing at the moment. If not just the unbalanced gameplay, certain classes lack varied gameplay. A lot of them share similar concepts. Ninja and Soldier feel too similar at the moment. Sniper and Ninja are both fragile but with different ranged capabilities. The classes may get changed in the future. In terms of stats and playstyle.

23. KubeX

KubeX

Just as the project is getting ready for Eteeski's livestream on May 17, some small changes have been made to the interface.

New health and sprint bar.
    Added a health icon and health value.
    Health bar size is fixed now. No more super short health bar for the Drone. This will also fix issues with classes with a lot of health.

24. Sprakle

Sprakle

I'm curious as to how you are implementing multiplayer on such a fast paced game. Can you go into the details?

I have tried using utilities such as Photon for multiplayer, but wasn't able to achieve an acceptable level of smoothness and accuracy for the game I'm working on.

25. KubeX

KubeX

I haven't gotten into Photon yet although I'm considering to use it. At the moment I am using Unity's networking, but even that one isn't as smooth as I thought based on recent testing results. It's going to be a challenge to make a fast paced FPS game with smooth multiplayer performance. I've seen some fast paced fps games like Quake, UberStrike (uses Unity), and Unreal Tournament with some decent performance. If they can achieve decent multiplayer performance, then so can Project Heroes. (Once I figure things out)

I have an announcement to make. In regards for the next public multiplayer test phase that will take place at Eteeski's Show Your Work livestream.
    [video=youtube_share;uyDdNaLwThM]http://youtu.be/uyDdNaLwThM

Edit: I've been also messing around with gif images. It wasn't easy to pull off smooth playback on these images. Near 60fps on a gif image. Something that a gif can do but what Youtube cannot do (unless heavily exploited).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  26. KubeX

KubeX

Currently working on the main menu for the game. Any thought on the layout of the weapon menu so far?

27. snezmez

snezmez

I like it because you didn't try to do anything too fancy and also because you can see the weapon model. This will make it much more friendly to the casuals who wanna jump in and screw around with a badass-looking gun.

28. KubeX

KubeX

The Bolt Lock Sniper Rifle. Now with smooth shading.

$KAYCms0.png

$j6Ufmzr.png

$8czsT55.png

29. snezmez

snezmez

30. KubeX

KubeX

There will be different weapons to choose from. Though I plan to make this weapon one of sniper's starting default weapons. The Rail-Spear was criticized for not looking like a sniper weapon but it doesn't mean it will be removed. The sniper may still use that weapon but probably as a scout rifle or as a beam rifle.

31. KubeX

KubeX

Big thank you to everyone who particpated in Eteeski's Show Your Work livestream. Here's a little montage video showing some gameplay clips during and a bit after Eteeski's livestream.

32. snezmez

snezmez

SO pissed off that I missed the Show Your Work Livestream. Hope it went smoothly and the montage looks awesome. (although painful for me)

33. ZKtheMAN

ZKtheMAN

After about a year, it still looks awesome. I really can't wait for it to be released.

34. ZKtheMAN

ZKtheMAN

Ooops, not a year. It's still really cool tho.

35. KubeX

KubeX

Actually it's almost 2 years now. The game project started around in October 2013. So one year has passed already, but we've still got a long way to go.

36. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

So will this be similar to tribes ascend speed and skill wise since I loooooooove tribes ascend (shame it's dead now)

37. KubeX

KubeX

I've played tribes ascend as well, but it's worth noting that Project Heroes and Tribes Ascend are 2 different types of fast paced gameplay.

Tribes Ascend probably has the fastest maximum speed a player can move at. It's focused on keeping your movement velocity at high speed. You need to ski down hills to move fast. In order to change direction, you must find the right hill. Since you are practically flying, players move very fast in a straighter path. They will keep flying forward until they hit the wall or use the hills to change direction.

Project Heroes is very different. The movement is much more dynamic. Players can move very fast in short intervals. Using the soldier's dodge dash as an example, he can strafe left very fast, but then quickly change direction to throw off the enemy's aim. Maximum speed wise, Tribes Ascend breaks the record of achieving one of the fastest movement speed. Project Heroes has faster acceleration movement speed however. Allowing players to practically "dance" around the battlefield.

Aiming is very different as well in both games. Tribes requires timing and precise aim. Project Heroes requires lightning fast reflexes and good hand coordination.

Both are very fast paced, but they are very different in fast paced gameplay.

38. snezmez

snezmez

First off, I love Tribes Ascend, however it is not dead at all! Plus having that attitude towards a game and giving up on it will make it more dead than it already is.

Secondly, while Tribes Ascend has your character going at unbelievably fast speeds, the gameplay itself is normally not as fast as the gameplay of an arena fps like Quake, Warsow or Project Heroes. To put it simply, in Project Heroes your hands on the mouse and keyboard will be moving faster than the character on the screen, whereas in Tribes Ascend, the character is moving much faster.

39. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Well tribes has a really low population and been lowering ever since hi rez ditched the game. I cant find a game within my region with a decent amount of players and playing games hosted in the US just doesnt work with my ping.
    Anyways goodluck with your game

40. Goregaming

Goregaming

Tribes is dead, trust me.

41. snezmez

snezmez

Have you played Warsow? Have you played Red Eclipse? Have you played Xonotic? THOSE are dead games. The type of games where you are lucky to find one server and usually half the population is bots. Tribes
    Ascend is not dead because when I press the quick play button I can find matches in less than five minutes, because I can find more than 2 game play videos IN ENGLISH. Mind you, most of the servers are in the US, but still, Tribes Ascend is not a dead game.

42. snezmez

snezmez

I would agree with that and I am still pissed off at Hi-Rez for ditching it. If there is ever another Tribes game made, Hi-Rez better not make it.

43. KubeX

KubeX

Yes, I've played both Warsow and Xonotic. The playerbase is like a ghost town. Almost every server is empty. You can barely get into a match. Both those games resemble Quake and a bit of Unreal Tournament.

snezmez likes this.
  44. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Sweet, only thing I have to critique is that the shooting sound for the Sniper Rifle is from Call of Duty, Modern Warfare 2. You'll have to change it due to copyright.

45. KubeX

KubeX

The game is getting a redesign on most of the weapons and is currently going for a graphics upgrade. The next update should hopefully result some nice looking atmosphere and setting. Starting things off, the infamous PX90 SMG now got a visual upgrade. Much more futuristic looking to meet up to standards of the other weapons. This weapon was redesigned by John Soto, one of the volunteers for this project. He did the concept art and I did the modeling (with some slight editing).

After

Before

Most of the sound effects got modified/changed. I am not sure which video you're referring to used the CoD sniper rifle sound but I am very sure I downloaded that sound effect from a free SFX source. The current sniper rifle sound is different but let me know if you catch any copyrighted sound effects once the new version is up.

snezmez likes this.
  46. bbQsauce

bbQsauce

That is awesome. Keep going!

KubeX likes this.
  47. primus88

primus88

I like this guy. His idea is solid and the end result looks fun and promising.
    He is a kid and what sets him apart from 99% of the kids on these forums is that he keeps showing up with more work, more updates, further improvements on his project time after time. You are a rare breed my friend. Well done!

Whiteleaf and KubeX like this.
  48. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Hey KubeX, if you are looking for a texture artist or modeling artist, I am open. Not a professional at modeling, but am very good with Gimp(I don't have 1K to buy PS, so I have used Gimp for 3 years now, and know just about everything). You can email me at miningkids@hotmail.com for more info if needed.

I am very into games like Titanfall, Halo, Crysis, and other futuristic games right now, and that's why I am here. Your game looks very interesting. Especially love how the guns looks.

snezmez likes this.
  49. KubeX

KubeX

I have a 3d modeller but texturing would be nice. I'll let you know for any further details. The game's setting hasn't quite been finalized yet.

--
    The most crucial feature of Project Heroes is being worked on. I wonder why it takes 5000 points to win.
    value system sneak peek.png

50. KubeX

KubeX

Big thanks to WolfFGD for his contribution for the new map. This map is work in progress and is subject to change at anytime.
    Also the new PX90 SMG is shown in this image.

Attached Files: