Search Unity

Project Gliese - Exploration and Adventure on Gliese 581

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by EwanRGR, May 25, 2014.

1. EwanRGR

EwanRGR

Project Gliese is an exploration and adventure game in the same genre as games such as Flower and Journey. Story line is that a mission to the Gliese 581 system has confirmed the existence of six planets. As the probe approached the most earth like one, a single transmission was received. When a follow-up was sent two years later, there was no further recorded transmissions. Scientists believe that they have finally deciphered the initial transmission - an invitation to explore the planet and learn about it's fate. Because of the expense and difficulty of creating warps to send probes to other star systems, a small ship was sent with enough gear to allow five more probes to be built in orbit around the planet. Using tachyonic quantum links, you are able to send down a probe, and explore an area of the planet. As you explore you find floating talismans that provide a segment of another document, and you must find all the talismans in one area to know where to explore next. What happened to the people of this planet? What secrets will they share? Can you find the answer?

Main project page is at ProjectGliese.com. Have an IndieDB page as well as a Greenlight Concepts page.

Wanted to setup a thread on here as well since I am using several Asset Store items (tweaked, but that's the idea), and because I figured somewhere that I can talk about setting up my player object with rotation constrained might be nice compared to the more player oriented stuff at the other sites.

Will be happy to share tips based on what I learn as I go along, and hopefully can answer any questions y'all might have. Am looking to get the Kickstarter going soon, so can hopefully swap stories with any of you going through the same.

2. EwanRGR

EwanRGR

Today's fun - Is there a known issue with large project files getting corrupted in Unity Free? I ask because I've run into this a few times now. When I make my daily backup of the whole directory, there have been several times where I get an IO error on a particular file, and have to bring in the version from the day before, let Unity rebuild the .meta file, and then resave the project before backing up again. It's never the same file twice, and it seems to always happen to only one file at a time.

I will admit that keeping all my assets in a single project file rather than pruning back to just what is being used is a bit extravagant, but it has been very helpful even if it does mean my project directory is not a few gig in size.

Anyone else running into this? If so, what do you do? I hope it's not just that I'm the only person who does a backup on a daily basis :eek:

3. EwanRGR

EwanRGR

And today's question, possibly related to yesterday's, is whether it's safe to upgrade to 4.5? I'm tempted, but being so far along I'm worried about what things might break. Has anyone had time to see what things do or don't work one they've made the upgrade?

4. GeneBox

GeneBox

I upgraded to 4.5 today at work and it works fine. Also using it for the project I'm working on (non game app) and nothing was broken / had to be fixed.

5. EwanRGR

EwanRGR

Almost Alpha Version of Project Gliese Posted

OK, I have posted the very (!!!) rough first version of Project Gliese to the site. Go to the Project Gliese page and click the link to play. From the changelog:

- Almost Alpha Version -
    * What Works
    * Intro Plays (ESC to go to Main Menu)
    * Main Menu Displays (nothing fancy)
    * Can Explore First Level and "Capture" the first few Talisman
    * What Doesn't Work
    * Pretty Much Everything Else - Close Window to leave First Level/Game
    * Coming Up Next
    * I will work to open two more of the levels so you have plenty of options to explore, and figure out why the return to the main menu isn't working so you can get out a bit more gracefully

Note that since the Web Playable version contains all the levels even though they aren't playable, it can take some time to DL the first time. If you're on a slow connection, you have been warned!

6. EwanRGR

EwanRGR

zenGarden likes this.