Search Unity

Project: City Life

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by MMOInteractiveRep, Sep 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMOInteractiveRep

MMOInteractiveRep

MMOInteractive is proud to announce the World of Project: City Life. Project City Life is a mix between Sim City style city simulations and City Life Mods which allows you to play a part in a vibrant city. Choose your part... Citizen, Tourist, Firefighter, Police Officer, EMT, Business Owner... Or explore the dark under belly of the city as a mobster, Gang member, Criminal Mastermind planning daring heists and assassination plots. How you play is up to you! Project: City Life also features server wide Events where the city's population must come together to fight off a greater evil such as an Invasion of the undead.

Features:
    -City Building. Start with nothing and gradually team up with other players to build a vibrant city.
    - Politics. Run for mayor of the city! As mayor you are able to set taxes, build roads, and set out plots of land that players are able to purchase.
    -Occupation. Choose from a large array of Occupations.
    -Business Simulation. Build up your Business Empire 1 factory and store front at a time.
    -Player hosted dedicated servers. The P:CL Server software will be made available to the community to host their own Private or Public Servers. A Lobby System will facilitate finding servers to play on with an added Direct Connect option for Private unlisted Servers.
    - And so much more!

Possible Post Launch Features/DLC:
    - Industrial Expansion... Add a Voxel based world rich in raw materials. Setup elaborate Mining operations to mine up the raw materials and ship them to your factories to be used in the construction of your goods.

- Server 2 Server connections... Globalized Markets... Need a material that you currently lack... Find a company in another City that's selling the resource and put in a order... Construct an Airport to allow your citizens to visit the hottest Tourists destinations in other cities. Ally with other cities or wage war against them the choice is yours!

Possible Features being researched:
    - Clothes Expansion... Design your own Fashion line, put your factories to work cranking out your fashion line, then ship them to your store in order to sell unique clothing options... Or be the designer and sell your designs to the highest bidder.

Social Media Links:
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/projectcitylife
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=519137653

Media:

i50^cimgpsh_orig.png
    Project_CityLife_2.jpg
    Project_CityLife_3_sexydancecityhall.jpg

KingLlama likes this.
  2. virror

virror

Very curious how you plan to balance the different occupations. Some will most likely have a bigger "draw" than others, how fun will it be to as a fireman sit around waiting for a fire to happen?

I really like the idea though, with some good balancing it could be a really cool game!

3. MMOInteractiveRep

MMOInteractiveRep

You will be able to select 2 or 3 different occupations. So you can mix and match them to fit your play style... So for example you could be a chef in the local Bistro but unknown to the police the Bistro is actually the front for your Mafia. You can also leave occupations at any time and try out different ones until you find a combination that match your play style.

4. virror

virror

Sounds like a clever way : )

5. CodeGorilla

CodeGorilla

OMG..
    Literally love the idea of this.

As a fireman you could be a retained. So retained firefighters have a full time job and when there is an incident your pager goes off to say there is one so you have to rush to the station and get to the incident. I know this from real life situation and you have to live / work 4 minutes away from the station to apply for the job. - That' show that occupation could work anyway.

Would be awesome if each occupation can link to eachother to help the economy.
    As an example, if you are a farmer you do your farming duties, look after the cattle, get the milk, the meat etc..
    Then you have butchers and / or supermarkets that then purchase off of the farmers to sell in their stores.

Players then have to buy food / drink to survive. Presuming you have a survival aspect where there is a need for drink and water.. and perhaps sleep?

Is there going to be a home and work life? - So the Manager of the company can set the working hours for each employee and then they have to work those hours. Afterwards they can go home, visit shops go to a entertainment center?

Not sure how deep into it your going but would be awesome for an in depth game like that!

6. kittik

kittik

Sounds like a great concept, I like most of the job roles but what does a Tourist do exactly? Would there be any single player/story mode features? I am imaging a loose bad guy storyline and good guy storyline that one could play alone.

7. Rick-

Rick-

You have a REALLY nice concept there. I feel like this is going to be a very successful game if you guys manage to complete it.

8. MMOInteractiveRep

MMOInteractiveRep

Thanks everyone.

Kittik, at this point we aren't planning a Single player release. In the future after we launch, if there is a demand for it, we will reassess a single player mode and add it if we feel it will push the game forward.

Rick, we feel like it could be very successful as well. It's the next logical step for city builders in our opinion.

CodeGorilla, there will be Survival aspects added in. Just how deep we go with the simulation however is going to really be decided by how many players each server can handle (The Deeper we go the more players on a server it will require) and how popular the game gets. How many players an average server can handle will be figured out through testing.

9. Myobi

Myobi

MMO Interactive… where did I hear that name before? Oh, Greed Monger! Right?!

That “game” project that got 100k dollars via Kickstarter and ended up by not developing sh*t at all? That same MMO Interactive?

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  10. MMOInteractiveRep

MMOInteractiveRep

As I said in the MMO-Champion thread yes it's us. Like I also said we are doing no Fund raising for this pre-launch so all I ask is that you guys give us a chance to complete it before passing judgment. Lots of mistakes were made with GM that we can't do anything to try and correct since it's too late. All we can do is take the lessons learned and apply them to our future projects such as this one.

11. Myobi

Myobi

Oh boy, save it for the clueless ones.

I already heard that kind of speech before, multiple times.

You should save yourself the time from going around online forums to defend your “company”, it’s not like many will bother taking you seriously, most people know how to google nowadays. Good luck with this sc… *cough cough* project of yours. Ciao ~

12. spryx

spryx

If you can pull it off, my hat is off to you. Sounds like a lot to tackle. Interesting Concept.

13. MMOInteractiveRep

MMOInteractiveRep

Thanks Spryx. It is a lot to tackle. However I'm taking it one step at a time. I started with Prototyping a City Building system. You have a menu of road parts, Buildings and Props that can be placed down to create the city. I then did a Simple Play State where you can walk around the city that you created. You are able to go back and forth between the Build Mode and Play mode so as your walking around if you see an area you want to add something to your free to do that. I then created a Edit Mode where you can select placed items, delete them or move/rotate them. So the basics are in place for the city building. I am now working on Networking everything done so far, character creation, and organizing the code better. As part of Character Creation I've also started work on the Jobs Plugin. You can define Jobs through Python and the list of available jobs will be sent to the client when the player enters character creation.

14. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Hey Rep - this is a great move to restore trust lost in previous failed works. The aftermath of GM and the excuses given were a debacle - and some people who pledged have a bad taste from all that. (I wasn't one)

I think creating something without a pre-release funding models, including greenlight is a very smart move. Traditional game development and release can show your team is competent and maybe even restore trust to a lot of people who pledged for GM. Maybe a discount for the new game for those who supported your previous development.

Good luck. Sound like an interesting concept.

Teila and Rick- like this.
  15. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

You are my favorite poster on these forums, but I think you are wrong about this one. This is the 3rd or 4th game that James has announced where he has shown nothing except a single asset from the asset store. This one and the zombie game he ´announced´ a few months ago have absolutely no functionality or scripting done, they are simply a single art pack asset from the store. I would say GreedMonger was the same thing, but with that game, they didn´t even bother to add the creatures to their game, on their website they used the exact same images that the content creators used to promote their assets on the asset store. Mister Necturios ´witch´, 3dfins dragon and Dexsoft´s beggers. They didn´t even add them to the game, nope, just ´borrowed´ the images that were on the asset store and plastered them all over their website.

I love indie developers and I love Unity for democrazing game-making. But James has been doing this for like 4 years.. announcing games that are nothing but assets from the asset store. Before we all group-hug developers, you should probably read the thread about him on RPGCodex. I also read this morning the one on MMO-champion. His behavior and dishonesty are appalling, and I don´t use that word lightly. Downloading assets from the Unity store and taking screenshots does not make you a developer, and that is all he has ever done the past 4 years.

theANMATOR2b, Rick- and Myobi like this.
  16. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Sounds like a project you cant complete, but then from some of the replies, sounds like that's a common theme. Consider yourself lucky you havnt had any serious repercussions from abusing kick starter. I read an article the other day that stated they are gonna start cracking down on it. You could find yourself with a criminal record.

Ironic your failed project was called greed monger

17. MMOInteractiveRep

MMOInteractiveRep

James, the ONLY person who liked the name was Jason Appleton... I hated the name and my self, the team, and the entire community attempted to convince him to change it.

As for the rest of your comment and Carve's comment I think you guys need to do more research before commenting. This game WILL get developed and I really don't care what others have to say about it. I'm asking for no funding before launch so it's not like it's a scam. But then again people will say whatever the heck they want to including passing off made up lies as truth so I guess the only way to combat that is by finishing the game. I thought this was a work in progress forum though but whatever.

18. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

You admitted you worked on several failed games including the one mentioned... If it was your kickstarter that you ran, got funded, then did whatever with the money, then you're probably a scumbag. If you only worked on the game and had nothing to do with the fundraising then who cares.

Besides that, I know which asset packs you are using, so I know you've done nothing in your screenshots.

Feel free to prove everyone wrong.

theANMATOR2b and Rick- like this.
  19. MMOInteractiveRep

MMOInteractiveRep

Ok if you know which asset packs I'm using in this project then you would know they come with NO code... The cities displayed in the screenshots were NOT created in the editor using the normal editor tools. They were created in game using special in development build tools. I'd show it off but at the moment there isn't much to see as the UI isn't even in place. It's just a list of prefabs that can be placed and then a bunch of keyboard shortcuts. The functionality is all in place which at this stage is all I care about. The Visuals and UI will come later like most game development. No point doing fancy graphical UIs until you have nailed everything down and know exactly what is needed.

The game is also connected to a Server with a Server selection Lobby, Server Login, and Character Creation UI which I have spent more time working on then the Build UI but is still untextured and very much a WIP. I've got several Server side Plugins started which helps with different server side functionality.

20. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Arr yes. I too started working on a layout editor for those packs. First time playing with editor scripts in fact. It has been 'an experience'...

21. MMOInteractiveRep

MMOInteractiveRep

Since I guess I have to show some of my code just to get you guys off my back...

Edit: I hit my limit on the number of files I could upload... There's plenty more where these came from though.

Attached Files:

22. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

I'm more interested in...

23. MMOInteractiveRep

MMOInteractiveRep

Like I said this is very much work in progress. I Iterate through it and refine my code. This has already gone through several versions and will continue to go through restructures, refining, and even complete rewrites as needed.

It actually went through a complete restructuring last night.

Attached Files:

24. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

heh... I better not show you the script I've been working on... Im probably going to release mine as an asset though.

I should really read up on asset store guidelines...

25. MMOInteractiveRep

MMOInteractiveRep

yeah ok... I'm sure you have been working on yours a while as well... I started mine like 4 days ago. Like I told you it's still very much a work in progress. I never tried to pretend it was near release and I never tried to say I was the best coder. At this point it works and that's all I care about at this moment.

26. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

I've probably spent 40ish hours on it so far, but yeah I'm a coder by trade, so it comes easy. Although working with Editor scripts started as one of the most frustrating things I've done (mainly due to the terrible unity docs).

27. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

You said the same thing about GreedMonger in April, you posted all over that Codex thread promising to work your hardest on the game and deliver the t-shirts. You promised over and over that it would get developed Two weeks later you showed a ´demo´ of a zombie survival game, and a couple weeks after that you cancelled GreedMonger and quickly closed down the forums. Probably 10 to 20 times you said in the Codex forum that you would finish GreedMonger. Seriously dude, are you not aware that those threads are all still active? Are you not aware that people can use way-back websites to still view all your lies on the Greedmonger forums?

Just a running tally of games James has ´announced´ that he WILL get developed THIS YEAR.

1. Greedmonger in January of this year while working for Jason. Showed a garbage video with nothing but Atavism running
    2. Rise of Heroes, also in January..announced the game was being developed again
    3. Greedmonger... after quitting, then coming back .. James again promised it WILL get developed under his new company.
    4. Zombie Survival game ...announced around May
    5. City Life ..

You know what 1-5 all have in common? Nothing was ever accomplished on any of them except taking screenshots and videos showing nothing but stuff from the asset store. After 3 years, Greedmonger had nothing done that almost anyone here couldn´t do in a week.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  28. MMOInteractiveRep

MMOInteractiveRep

Carve I really think you need to worry about your own game and let me worry about mine. Who the heck cares how many games I announce... The ONLY game anyone at all has taking money from was GM and I had nothing to do with deciding the funding. Pretty simple... Jason thought he knew more then I did... As for the T-Shirts yes Joel SHOULD have gotten them out. I have no funds so he agreed to take on that responsibility when we took over GM. He failed to get them out. I have requested that he sends them to me and I'll find some way to get them out now my self though it's going to be tough. As for this game... What's it to you if I fail or succeed? It's not like you personally have anything at all invested in this game... It's not like ANYONE except my self has anything invested in this game because I'm asking for NO funding pre-release. So why all the hate toward it?

29. Debhon

Debhon

Oh god, this remembered me the magical "MMO Button" in the Editor.

It's a great and hard concept, so good luck! I always wanted to be a firefighter.

Teila and FreakForFreedom like this.
  30. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

Sorry, but you got this wrong, James was paid at least $4k, received a new computer and received a crapload of assets bought with the KS money, while doing nothing but posting on forums and downloading Atavism. He also recommended to Jason that a few people be hired who were paid, created nothing, and disappeared with the money. And the part that irks me.. for 3 years he lied to people who had donated the 100k and pretended to be someone who was capable of making a MMORPG, when in fact he was not even able to finish a simple tutorial game and get it to work. I am all for giving devs a chance, but people who cannot complete a simple tutorial game should not be claiming to be lead devs for a next-generation MMORPG while operating a cash-shop. He continually lied about the size of his ´team´ while collecting money from his cash-shop while pretending real progress was being made on the game. And this isn´t massively, this is his own forums, RPG Codex, MMORPG.com, MMO-Champion.

Jason was over-ambitious and naive... but if you read the chat logs that James posted, the biggest mistake Jason made was believing the crap James was telling him.

Also, just for a bit of comedy. James has already announced this game last year... http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/citylife-morpg.251795/
    And said it was in full development and coming soon.

So now we are up to 6 games that James has started in the past year that have been nothing but screenshots of asset store purchases.

Keep an eye on the daily specials on the asset store, more than likely James will be launching that game next month...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  31. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

Trust me, I was where you were. I was all in favor of defending James and thinking he was the victim up until I read the chat logs on RPG Codex. Until you see the actual conversations, you are only hearing James´side of the story. You also have to look at the Video he put out in January. After 3 years, 1000s of posts on his forums and wasting countless money buying assets he could never figure out how to use, he released a video of a ´mmorpg´ that anyone here could do in a week.

You are still my favorite poster, I just don´t think you read the chat logs between James and Jason. Your mouth will literally drop. Like I said, I was appalled when I read them. James lied so much and was completely misleading Jason and the KS backers.

Also, I do not consider James a developer. In 4 years of posting on forums, and 6 or 7 different ´game announcements´ he has never shown a single thing except store bought assets.

32. virror

virror

33. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

Nooo.. not the forums. read the actual skype logs that James posted. James, trying to defend himself, posted the entire chat logs of the conversations he had with Jason on skype. That is what I am talking about. You are right, a lot of the forums are just people who were angry about the t-shirts. I blew that stuff off also. But the real meat was in the skype chat that James posted that showed how much he was lying to Jason. It also showed that James was being paid, despite calling himself a volunteer ( which you keep repeating). In James´own chat logs it shows he was collecting money. It also gave a timeline of how nothing was being done in the game and there was no dev team, but James was posting all over his forums about how big the team was and how much progress they were making.

Also, James in March, after being berated by backers of the kickstarter, finally agreed to schedule a small stress test to show that the game actually existed. The day of his own stress test, he didn´t show up... he then quickly quit the company. But Jason demanded the licenses back for the asset store stuff. So then James decided to start a new company.... and made a deal.. he would mail out the t-shirts in exchange for the $20k worth of assets from the asset store and he would ´develop´ GreedMonger with his new company. He got the assets, never, to this day has mailed out the t-shirts and after less than a month cancelled GreedMonger. And if you think he tried to work on GreedMonger during that month.. that month was when he announced the Zombie survival game.

Use some common sense. It is nearly impossible to launch a MMORPG with Unity. A few games have done it with massive teams and years of commitment. THIS YEAR, James has already announced 3 different MMORPGs that he is developing. Despite not being able to even finish the tutorials from a youtube series.

The sad part is, this is not people creating lies, or people misrepresenting stuff.. all of this I learned just from reading James´s own words, mainly in that skype chat, but just other contradictions he has made on various forums. It is almost pathological. At one point on his own forums, he was talking about handing out assignments to his team, and all the stress that comes with managing a large team.. IN THE SAME WEEK.. someone complained in a thread about the lack of development news, and James jumped in and said it was difficult because he was the only person working on the game and was a volunteer ( despite the fact that he showed in his own logs that he was being paid).

PS. Definitely nothing wrong with using asset store stuff, I have a ton of it bought and have actually been doing reviews today for stuff I bought last week. But this is like the 6th game that James has ´introduced´ that includes nothing except an asset from the store. I think at some point you do need to hold people responsible for their past lies.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  34. MMOInteractiveRep

MMOInteractiveRep

I did have a huge long post I was going to reply with but I'll just leave it at this Teila is a contact of mine on Skype... She is our Morale booster in our Discussion Group. She sees what actually happens behind closed doors far more then the rumors, speculations, and lies would indicate. I'm just going to drop it there and kindly bow out. This is not actually the Work in Progress forum I thought it was considering the attacks and people I've had to deal with here. For those of you who actually offered decent feedback I just want to thank you and will have further updates once the game is closer to done and I can start showing video of progress made so hopefully it lays to rest the arguments and haters.

35. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

There never was digging up. This is all stuff James has posted himself all over the internet. Just to be clear, HE is the one who posted the skype logs of private conversations he had with Jason, not realizing how bad they made him look. He is the one who posted on MMORPG, MMO-Champion, Codex and other websites that put himself in this position. Nobody is digging anything up, we are just reading stuff he is posting himself and catching him in lies. It is like he posts something today that completely contradicts what he posted yesterday and thinks nobody will notice... and always he is the victim...

All the support in the world for game developers, especially those using Unity. But downloading an asset from the store and taking a screenshot of it does not make you a developer.... oh.and making a facebook fanpage doesn´t count either.

Here is my feedback, since you are seeking it. How about actually doing at least a few minutes of work on your next game before you create yet another ´my new game´ thread and create another facebook page. Most real developers have almost a functioning game before they start publicizing it. Considering you have now done 6 different ´my new game´ threads and have never done an ounce of work on any of those games except download stuff from the store... you more than anyone else should probably avoid forums until you have a functioning game.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  36. MMOInteractiveRep

MMOInteractiveRep

You know what carve I'm not seeking your feedback... I don't see a single game to your name in fact the only thread I see you have started was a thread where you didn't even know how to initialize variables properly from a couple months ago... So before you go attacking me how about you get a game of your own developed. And how the heck would you know what I've done and haven't done. Last night I posted 6 custom scripts I've worked on for this game alone and there is a bunch more I didn't post... So your STILL under the impression I haven't done any coding? Get a life.

37. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

yep, here is the difference.

I have announced 0 games, and I have released 0 games
    You have announced 6 games, and have released 0 games, you also blew $100,000 of other people´s money in the process of creating your 0 games.

And yeah, asking a performance question about serializing a huge amount of variables at startup is a dumb question. Rather than doing 5 different possible approaches and creating ways to determine which is most performant, why not ask if someone else has already done the testing. I hated the fact that our ´creating your world´ message was taking almost a minute and we didn´t even have half the world included yet. I wanted to see what approach other teams were taking for initializing worlds. It is probably a little complex for you to understand, since it seems the limit of your development skills involves running the demo scene that comes in the assets you buy.

Peace out, I am unfollowing this thread. I just found it hilarious that someone posted on another forum laughing because you have yet again, announced another new game using nothing but assets from the asset store. It is like the joke that just keeps on giving. Seriously, maybe a card game next? How about a platformer? there are a few genres you havent´touched yet... and most of them have free store assets you can use on your facebook page.

38. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Disclaimer - I have only started 4 threads and I have 0 released games - and I have also never announced a game I'm working on. ;)

Hey MMo Rep - the best way to prove to people past mistakes are - in the past - is to go beyond there expectations. Some unique content would be a good starting point. An original idea, reusing the same content/tech you've held onto through other dev starts isn't really unique.

Carve makes some good points - but that is the past.
    Teila is well meaning and probably more informed than others, and as a result may have a bias, but I agree with her - give you some room so you can redeem yourself. You will either prove a lot of people right and repeat the mistakes of the past and simply fail - which will probably be the end of the line, or you will succeed and prove others wrong - and create something original that is worth playing and get back some developer respect and redemption for past errs.

Brutal honestly from a person not involved at all -
    Having multiple accounts looks shady. I know it seems to be common practice for some - but imo looks like your trying to hide things. Just my opinion.
    Your mention starting up yet another kickstarter from the previous thread is kind of flabbergasting. Really - the first 100k that you got a substantial cut of that never resulted in anything except for some back end stuff which nobody cares about (game players and backers) - which looks like you are currently using to try to setup new games - this wasn't a terrible experience for you to stay away from any funding campaigns - ks and greenlight?
    Seems some lessons really didn't stick on the first/second go around.
    Buy you've stated - no upfront funds for this project - in this thread - under the MMoIntRep name.

You also stated in Nov in the previous thread - under your other forum tag -
    "This was one of a couple Demo Games I was making to show off my Networking Framework. At some point I may finish it but it's not high on my list of things to do right now."
    So is it a demo game to show off the network framework - that was developed using the previous ks funds? Or is it an actual new game using the network framework you created before? Either way this was created with previous funds that was supposed to go towards a completely other game. So it really feels like a bit unscrupulous.
    You don't need to comment on this. It's just how it seems from an outside perspective and I'm not interested in you having you defend yourself. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Perception maybe isn't reality, but it feels odd.

This is really what makes people feel like stuff is shady.
    So go beyond what people expect - make some things that aren't straight from the asset store. Make some things that can't be tied back into previous work.
    Do all your games need to be unbelievably beyond your ability? Can't you create something that doesn't involve a networking framework?

Try to create a single player city life game. Create an AI manager. Create some unique art that isn't reliant on asset store content.
    Just make something original that isn't tied to the past and you will be able to put all that stigmata crap behind you.
    And use one forum name. :)

LargerEagle likes this.
  39. MMOInteractiveRep

MMOInteractiveRep

Having Multiple accounts... 1 is my personal account which I still use... It uses my personal Email address and is meant for my own personal use. This account is a Company account created using a Company Email address and is meant for more company geared postings. Pretty simple... Nothing shady intended.

Ok so about the KickStarter I mentioned in that thread at that point I wasn't planning on doing the KickStarter until the game was completely playable and people were actually playing it. Graphically the game just wouldn't be completely to where we wanted it so we would launch a KS Campaign to obtain the funds to purchase the additional model assets we needed to finish the game. IMO that's more what KS is meant for then actually funding the full development of a game. That however is now off the table with this new game. We will be NO KS campaign or Steam EA. We may do a Greenlight campaign to get the game on to steam but it won't be for EA or funding before launch.

As for GM's KS the ONLY money I got was for work already completed. If your an employee for a Company and the company does a KS but then the game fails are you REALLY going to be expected to give the money back that you got for work you already completed? I really don't think so so why people are expecting it from me is beyond me.

And for the Record UniVerse was NOT funded using KS Money. I created it on my own in my free time on the side while I wasn't working on GM. UniVerse has $0 spent going into it's development. It's using all Custom code and Opensource Libraries. The ONLY thing I used some of the assets from GM on was the demos which aren't released and haven't even been updated with the latest versions of UniVerse. The Changes to UniVerse since the initial demos were developed are so substantial that they really aren't even worth trying to update.

As for creating something Original that doesn't depend on Asset store stuff I really can't. I'm a Programmer... Not a modeler or texture artist or anything else. Just a Programmer. I do have a 3d Modeler... He's very early in starting out though and was looking forward to using the simpler assets we are using in this game. And like I've said it doesn't matter what I create people will still say it's from the asset store... I created a completely custom Space Invaders clone several years ago. Did everything by hand minus the explosion effects which were prefabs from the old Explosions Framework. I was still accused of buying it from the asset store and trying to pass it off as my own work even though it WAS my own work. So whatever I just don't care any more. Oh and by the way I did create a completely custom Frogger clone couple nights ago in under 3 hours... Used the assets from this game with completely custom code... It's not much... Could use some audio, textured UIs, and more levels, ect. but the coding is all there. Wouldn't matter if I released it or not because like always people would say I bought it like some how the asset packs I used were a complete frogger clone as well as city life clone and any other type of game I could possibly try to build using the asset pack.

40. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

@Carve_Online - I have reported you for Harassment. Just because one person was part of a Kickstarter that flopped does not give you the right to harass him. Go after the main guy behind the KS. Not the people who tried to make the game happen.

EDIT: @MMOInteractiveRep - What open source stuff are you using out of curiosity?

I know of a few MMO like networking Libraries for Unity and Ogre3D.

Mind sharing your knowledge.

41. MMOInteractiveRep

MMOInteractiveRep

I am using a customized version of Lidgren. My changes to Lidgren are pretty simple but they have helped a great deal. The changes allow me to send custom Object types over the network. and some other stuff. I have then built a Custom Framework that wraps up the Networking Layer with my Custom Python Scripting Layer, a Persistence (still in development) layer, a Security Layer, an Event Layer which is responsible for sending messages to their proper Plugins. Then I took the Framework Core and created a Client API and a Server API and created a custom Lobby Server and API for it that allows any game to use the Lobby.

And some have tried to say that it's a version of P-Net. I used P-Net a while ago and in fact still have my old P-Net projects however this is NOT P-Net.

Here is a Screenshot showing the UniVerse Project:

UniVerse_Project.jpg

42. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Doesnt sound like you had much to do with the failed ks... bummer. Probably better to completely distance yourself from it if that's the case, because as you've seen, bad rep follows you around.

Although you do still sound like someone who announces games and doesnt follow through (im just gonna assume from others info... idc enough to actually go look).

Ive started a handful of games, but I never announce them until I have something solid. Getting a community is important, getting it before you've really got off the ground... less so.

Hey, at least you have an awesome name ;)

HeadClot88 likes this.
  43. MMOInteractiveRep

MMOInteractiveRep

When I announce something here it's less to form a community and more just to get feedback. I prefer feedback through out development... Helps keep me motivated and allows me to see if I'm heading in the right direction. The feedback here was positive until MyObi (who I might add is still viewing this thread and picking everything apart over on MMO-Champion but hey this is a free country so he's free to do that) and Carve got ahold of this thread and started attacking me. So I think I am on the right track. Might just change some stuff up and see what works. With this game I'm not on any time line to finish it so I can take my time and experiment.

44. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

Sorry, someone tagged me in this thread, got another alert :(

If you take a little time and read the skype chat that James released himself, you will see that James had almost everything to do with GreedMonger´s failing. He was the lead developer for 3 years. He is the one that wasted a good part of the money buying random stuff hoping it would magically create a MMORPG. ( the coveted ´make mmorpg´ button on Unity) He is the one that convinced the owner to hire his friends, pay them an upfront fee, and then make excuses when they disappeared after doing no work. A good part of the $100k was wasted. All this is in James´own words in that skype chat.

James is great at playing the victim and begging for a second chance. He has done it repeatedly for the past year. When his company took over GreedMonger a few months ago, he was saying the exact same things as he is saying now.. then he took the Unity assets, kept the t-shirts, and simply closed down Greedmonger after spending weeks telling everyone how honest and devoted he was.

PS.. ah.. see James is flaunting ´his´ network system again. He has been talking about that for years on the GreedMonger forums. The truth about that is in his skype chat also.

theANMATOR2b and Myobi like this.
  45. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

@MMOInteractiveRep -

Here are some FOSS Projects that I came across in the past. These should allow you to scale up rather quickly.

I would highly recommend GameMachine.

Do not worry about writing your own MMO Server when it is already written for you. ;)

GameMachine - Docs

46. MMOInteractiveRep

MMOInteractiveRep

Thanks. KBEngine I've used. But it's basically just a copy and paste of Big World. They even use the documents for Big World for their own documentation so it seems like there could be some legal issues using it.

47. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Thanks for the heads up. I have friends that work for Wargaming that I can pass this on to.

I will also "scub" my previous post of the KBEngine.

48. MMOInteractiveRep

MMOInteractiveRep

It may be fine. I don't know the legalities of it. But if I'm working on a big project like a MMO personally I'm not willing to take a chance on it unless I knew for sure it would be fine.

49. Recon03

Recon03

I do not condone nor care what happen with Greed Monger but ran a guild for 16 years and told people to stay away from it from day 1. I even had a friend that knew someone from GM bug me to help make there website before they had someone I said no. I been a web designer for many years and a game developer on and off for awhile.

So for that, I for one do not hold a grudge against any one because those giving ,money to KS should know that money can be lost.. So to sit there and whine about that is stupid.. I never gave money to KS ever, I gave money to two games both are in beta and that was after I knew the game was made and people were actually playing...

So my point is that some of you have only your self to blame for what happen,even when I went to school for Game Design,when I had teachers I would check on what they did before they taught at our school. I caught many teachers who never made a game in there life , and I started alot of S*** because I did not want to be taught by teachers who did not have a clue, so they did change teachers the next week, so my point is you can find out about people easy. If you choose to take a chance on a no one that never made any game, then your asking for it... I for one have been apart of development of MMO's they are not easy nor would I run a company that would make a MMO even now.... My company is making small scale games and not asking for money from anyone, we are building up... Then we will scale games as we are successful, that is one of the right ways to do it.. So when some of you used KS for this game, you only have your self to blame.

The Lead Developer should not have to sit here and worry if he can make a game again, because people want to through a fit for what happen with a prior game... Any developer that is worth anything has had b`ad games and good games... So lay off of him... Do not give him any money for the making of the game.. If you like what you see and want to buy the game then so be it. But if I were them I would not ask for a penny...

But some of you need to grow up. I do not know these guys , nor do I care, but some of you act no better than some of the people I see whining on Steam about a EA that has bugs ...

PS: The game does not interest me at all, I do wish them best of luck..

Myobi and Teila like this.
  50. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

1. I never gave money to GreedMonger KS. I agree with you completely about that stuff. It is insane to back a MMORPG made by a person who has never made a game before.

2. He has not had bad games nor good games, he has no games. What he has is screenshots of Unity Asset store items Nobody has ever played a game that James has made, the closest they got was some of the backers almost were able to do the stress test in March.. but James conveniently didn´t show up to let them see if there was a game or not. Lead Developer? of what?

theANMATOR2b and Myobi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.