Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Project Burgers

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by stormsharks, Jun 20, 2015.

1. stormsharks

stormsharks

2. Patico

Patico

That's good. But one question - what is making your game different from tons of others?

3. stormsharks

stormsharks

From the start, I have asked myself what game I would make. I looked around and everyone was making diablo, flappy bird, 8bit style, minecraft, dayz, open world, etc. So I tried to make something that doesn't follow all of those routes. In the same time, I am not trying to make a revolutionary game. Just something fun, entertaining, and not what everyone else is making.

I hope this answer your question. If not let me know what else I can tell you :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  4. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

Wow. I'm not sure that actually answers the question. But whatever.

5. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

That definitely answers this question! :)

6. stormsharks

stormsharks

What is your concern? I would like to address that.

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  7. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Different artwork... there's no plants or zombies... wait.... there's no plants...

looks reasonably polished, but also looks a lot like a few other titles on the market (with different artwork)

8. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

"what is making your game different from tons of others?"

" I am not trying to make a revolutionary game... and not what everyone else is making"

Describing one's creation by stating what it is not in comparison to another creation is an awful way of describing one's creation. It's like you made your game to spite someone else's. Want an example of what you're doing? Let's pretend the following Q/A has ever taken place:

Interviewer Asks Shigeru Miyamoto (Creator of Super Mario) Questions About Super Mario Bros. in 1985
    Interviewer: You are the creator of Super Mario Bros. for Nintendo. What makes Super Mario Bros. so much different than other games in terms of popularity, gameplay and design?

Shigeru Miyamoto: It's not Pac-Man, Asteroids or Space Invaders.

End of Interview.

Basically, you've done a bad job of describing your own videogame. Really.

Carwashh likes this.
  9. ambitious_sound

ambitious_sound

antman there are zillion of diablo clones out there, and someone came out to make something abit different, or as a tribute to a genre. and he even did a good job at that. I don't understand why you have to bash him because he doesn't know how " to sell his game according to your standards"? It might as well speak for itself.

but whatever.

Haseeb_BSAA and GoodEnoughGames like this.
  10. stormsharks

stormsharks

You are right. We made a game that is not 100% original. But look at how many games that looks like ours? We are not making another countless Minecraft or open world or 8bit. We simply combined Castle Crashers and Metal Slug. We love these 2 games. We love them so much we wanted to make a game like those.

What game would you make then, Atman0079?
    And tell me what games you usually play?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  11. stormsharks

stormsharks

We get inspired. Is there anything wrong if our game stays in a genre? is every shooter like Doom?

12. stormsharks

stormsharks

Thank you.

13. stormsharks

stormsharks

I think every game has a purpose. Either it's pure simple and entertaining like Metal Slug, fast action like Call of Duty, adventurous like the Witcher 3, Fallout, or challenging like Portal, they all play their parts. Don't you think we should be given a chance even though we are not another revolution like Mario or Doom?

I remember the time when I was around from 9 to 16, I didnt own an computer powerful enough to play current PC games. So I spent most gaming time in the arcade places, and my friends' houses. Doom, Fallout 1&2, and Starcraft 1 were the only games my pc could afford at the time. The arcade games really hooked me though. Since then, I have always dreamed about making my own games similar to them. And after some 20 years passed, finally this is a chance for me to do it. And this is the time I can fulfill the desire I have held so close.

http://www.updatemyandroid.com/wp-c...Cadillacs-Dinosaurs-Android-game-1024x750.png
    http://www.sega-16.com/wp-content/uploads/2005/12/Lost-in-the-Arcade-Capcom-Games-11.gif

These 2 were among the games I played the most. These 2, Castle Crashers, Metal Slugs, they all heavily inspired Burgers. The movie Schindler's list also gave me a lot of inspiration.

At the end, yes, our game is not 100% original, but it is what we've a thing in common and have come together to do what we've always wanted

I don't know if our next projects will be as attractive like No man Sky, or The Talos Principle, or Portal, or dayz, or 8bit, or block men; but they will be what our hearts tell us to do.

I respect your opinion. I hope you will do us the same and accept our game as an individual art in a genre the world has created .

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  14. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

Just what are you people smoking? I don't remember stating anything about your game not being 100% original. Period. It's like you guys just make things up that nobody ever typed. All you did was describe your game being different by stating it wasn't like a bunch of other games. That's ridiculous. Nobody describes anything this way.

Since you're so great at explaining your game, why is it called 'Burgers' and just how does the movie Schindler's List inspire it? I am quite interested (afraid) in hearing about this. Nobody has asked these questions yet so I guess I'm first.

Carwashh likes this.
  15. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

First of all , I don't think you even use Unity , if you ever did then you would have been working on your own projects rather than sitting on your chair and criticizing other's games.
    Second , do you have any BETTER or more ORIGINAL game that you're talking about? Show us if you have one.
    All your threads are about hiring other developers which mean you have absolutely no talent and you calling us smokers?
    Get up and stop wasting your time criticizing others , just stop it. I can't find a single post from you in which you are in a good mood. Gosh! o_O

16. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

antman is just trying to be the new james lee ;)

You can do whatever you want. My main game is a variation of C&C styled games. I think the problem is you were asked how your game is different, but you didnt really give an answer that made sense.

But this is obviously a clone of several other titles (with different artwork). That's fine, but it doesn't make your game different... So, what makes your game different?

eg. Im doing a c&c style game - ok, nothing original there, but how is my game different?

1. You don't have to build buildings, the bases are pre-fabricated.
    2. Its 5 Vs 5 players. You command a small squad of vehicles (5 per player)
    3. You control map nodes with your vehicles (which you can drive/fly or have AI control)
    4. You gain money from holding nodes (team wide), you spend money buying vehicles/upgrades

theANMATOR2b and Carwashh like this.
  17. stormsharks

stormsharks

Do you know why it didn't make sense to you? Because you don't fully understand the meaning of the word "Clone." When I said that other people are making 8bit, Minecraft, open world, dayz, etc, I wasn't saying they were cloning. I was saying they make a lot of games in these genres (just like ambitious_sound stated perfectly on his post).

Clone must look exactly the same. May have different abilities, but it must look at least somewhat 90% the same. Otherwise, it wouldn't be called "Clone."

When you say "But this is obviously a clone of several other titles (with different artwork)," you are conflicting yourself right here. I never said that other people were making clones out of the genres I mentioned. Many still make great games however.

Tell me, how would these game developers feel if you called their games "Clone"?
    No man Sky: Clone of Fallout (just different art work and have spaceships and more open words)
    Dayz: Clone of Fallout (just only zombie and pvp)
    Grey Goo: Clone of Starcraft (just different art work and a few differences here and there)
    Every shooter game: clone of Doom and Quake.

You gave me a list of functions in your games, but they have all been done before.

I think you just look at the information I provided on Steam, you will already have a good idea why my game is different. It has a complete different art work that no other games have.
    1. This means we actually took the time to do them and not copy-and-paste.
    2. When we first made the game, we had no idea how to make it.
    3. We did not use assets from other games to put in our games.
    4. We built an Arena where things can be interesting

How would that be a clone? Unless your definition of clone means if a game is created in a genre, it is a clone of that specific genre.

Take an example of the Witcher 3. Would it be a clone of Skyrim with a different art work and story? because pretty much what Skyrim has, Witcher 3 has it.

Please really consider your words before you call someone else's work a clone when a team actually worked hard on it and tried to make it different.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  18. stormsharks

stormsharks

I would just leave him. Thanks for your finding. This is one of the situations when we will have to ignore the unreasonable

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  19. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

way to miss the point. im done here.

theANMATOR2b and Carwashh like this.
  20. OmegaGrim

OmegaGrim

I'm convinced that these forums are for trolls and not real game devs. Isnt the point of the forums to be helpful to a fellow dev. They clearly asked nicely for support/votes from fellow devs but instead got lambasted for not being clear about about what makes the game different from others. All games are inspired by what the devs feel would make a fun end user experience based on what the devs themselves found fun by playing other games and incorporating those elements into something new and fresh. A fighting game is still people beating each other up at the core no matter how many bells and whistles you hang on it, all that matters is if its fun. Maybe feedback and NOT CRITICISM would suit this thread.

That looks great btw.

YOU GOT MY SUPPORT! Best of luck on all your future endeavors..

stormsharks and ambitious_sound like this.
  21. stormsharks

stormsharks

Thanks for being done trolling

22. stormsharks

stormsharks

Only wish that the world had more people like you guys, and less people who always want to see others fail.

Haseeb_BSAA and OmegaGrim like this.
  23. ambitious_sound

ambitious_sound

^for real. there is no convincing there for them. I'm interested to know how original their games are! from their tone of speaking it seems they are the next braid. seriously guys?
    stormsharks, I've worked on a similar game(battle of heroes) very close to your format of side scroller units, it was very successful. around million plays. I really like those characters design, it reminds me of metal slug games.

stormsharks likes this.
  24. stormsharks

stormsharks

Metal Slug is our biggest inspiration. I checked out Battle of Heroes. Looks like a decent game. No wonder why it has so many players. I thank you for your support and I admire your professional manner

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  25. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

I love Metal Slug, finished all the games :eek: It's my favorite , never gets old!
    Other than Metal Slug , I think the best arcade shooting game is "Gunstar Heroes" on Sega Genesis , you should check it out!

stormsharks likes this.
  26. stormsharks

stormsharks

Thank you. I will

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  27. stormsharks

stormsharks

Guys, Please support us and help us get on Steam. We are so close now. Thanks all who has helped us so far

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  28. stormsharks

stormsharks

We are green. Thank you all for the supports :)

xcmeathead and Haseeb_BSAA like this.
  29. Haseeb_BSAA

Haseeb_BSAA

What does being green mean? :)

30. xcmeathead

xcmeathead

Only just seen this thread, but congrats - looks like an awesome game :)

stormsharks likes this.
  31. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Congratulations.

stormsharks likes this.
  32. Sykoo

Sykoo

It looks super fun to me, and congratulations on being Greenlit by the way!
    I'd just strongly suggest that you add at least one picture or video in this thread as well (in the main topic), as it'd be easier to check it out and become more interested :)

Looks very nice, I love the art - did you draw them yourself?

stormsharks and Haseeb_BSAA like this.
  33. stormsharks

stormsharks

Means that we are allowed to sell this game on Steam :)

Haseeb_BSAA likes this.
  34. stormsharks

stormsharks

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=465119957&result=1

:) yes, all the art was done in the team. We have only one 3d artist who has to do all the 2d drawing lol. Imagine how it would be like. It is hard. The art was changed time to time.

Sykoo likes this.
  35. stormsharks

stormsharks