Search Unity

project 4.2 to 4.3 Mismatched serialization in the builtin class 'Mesh'.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by RayWolf, Nov 12, 2013.

1. RayWolf

RayWolf

Hi all!

Mismatched serialization in the builtin class 'Mesh'. (Read 183360 bytes but expected 183361 bytes)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

I get this error message after opening(convert) my 4.2 project to 4.3 unfortunately. I can start the game within the editor and I am able to compile. But my build has reaal performance issues now..half the framerate in comparison to the 4.2 build.

Do I need to ignore this error message until a next unity version? What can I do to solve this?

my best regards,
    Ray

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  2. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

I get this as well, cant load any of my projects into 4.3 without a load of those errors, and then everything seems to go wrong, just makes 4.3 impossible for me to use, hopefully someone from Unity will come along with a fix.

3. haim96

haim96

i also got these, but i still can run and build my project...

4. Steven-Walker

Steven-Walker

5. Steven-Walker

Steven-Walker

I seem to have gotten rid of this error by selecting my meshes in the Project window and reimporting the assets.

6. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Also got this. The meshes always show that they are 1 byte less than expected.

7. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Back up the entire project folder hierarchy. Then delete the Library folder. Then open the project in 4.3. If it all goes spectacularly wrong, blow away the new folder hierarchy, restore your backup and we can think some more.

8. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Graham, is this a bug in Unity then? Will it be fixed quickly, will try your suggestions but it seems very iffy to me, I am getting all sorts other errors and stuff is positioned all wrong, it really doesn't inspire much confidence in switching over if we have to back up and delete folders etc.

9. Neo-Gamefactory

Neo-Gamefactory

Same here....
    I bought Unity Pro ... install Update and the Project runs smoothly in Editor but the build Game lag extremly.....

10. proto_script

proto_script

Thanks for the suggestion Graham. I have tried as you suggested (close unity, backup project folder, delete project\library folder, open unity and wait for it to rebuild the library folder).
    I still get the same mesh error message and still have positioning issues - my project uses the Army of Skeletons asset pack and the sword and shield objects that are held in either hand by the Skeleton Footman model are no longer positioned correctly (this is not set by script, but by animation as I understand).

EDIT: The sword/shield positioning issues go away if I disable the animator component on the Skeleton Footman, so it appears the bug is in that component or the Mecanim updates.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  11. proto_script

proto_script

I managed to fix the affected animations by unselecting then reselecting the corresponding bones (for sword and shield mount) in the animation mask transform settings, then applying the settings (for each animation). It seems simply toggling something there and clicking Apply fixed whatever the issue was.

Still have the mesh errors on project load.

EDIT: Mesh errors are related to something that's happening in the scenes I've used from the Autumnal Nature Pack asset pack.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  12. Justei

Justei

I get tons of these errors, and it's quite annoying.
    We can still play the game and all, but it is quite annoying.

13. PaulStuffs

PaulStuffs

I am having the same issue, but for me the models don't show up on the screen at all :(

14. pestantium

pestantium

After Upgrade to 4.3 (Use 2d Toolkit in project) Get erros in one scene.
    Open Scene, Save Scene - This will work for me. No errors.

15. scritchy

scritchy

i'm getting this as well. don't know the full ramifications yet, am able to build the game still, haven't fully tested it so don't know if there's anything bad beyond the message stemming from this. seems bad though.

16. RayWolf

RayWolf

I did what Graham suggested. It did not help, still same errors. I have to ignore them for now?! :/

Even with unity version 4.3.1 I have some framerate losses in my main project windows-builts,

my 4.2 built has 68 fps and the 4.3.1 built only 60 fps, more than 10% less fps *grrrrrr*. Atleast not 30 fps like the 4.3 built oO! this is not funny but I laugh, any more ideas about the mesh errors? plz help when you can think of anything helpfull.

my regards,
    Ray

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  17. fabio1955

fabio1955

:sad:I also found this problem. Tried what Graham suggested without success. Hope Unity will do something on this because it is quite annoying..Especially for a large project. I learnt not to update while developing...

18. daisySa

daisySa

Getting the same issue here with 4.3.1. I've also tried Graham's suggestion but it didn't help - still getting these messages and the drop in frame rate.

I'll submit a formal bug report.

19. Don-Whitaker

Don-Whitaker

I was getting this same error (Mismatched serialization in the builtin class 'Mesh') after importing an old (3.5) project into Unity 4.3. I solved the problem in my scene by re-building all of the Unity Tree prefabs that were in the scene. I selected each tree prefab and hit the Recompute Tree button in the lower-left of the tree tool node window. Doesn't really make any sense to me but it worked. o_O I clued into it because the number of errors matched the number of tree prefabs that were used in my scene. Just thought I'd share in case the same solution might work for someone else.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  20. Bradamante

Bradamante

I get the same error messages opening a old project of mine (summer 2012) in Unity 4.3. The prefabs and all that are still there, but the connection to the meshes are gone ("missing") in Mesh Renderer component. I can then reconnect the Mesh piece, but that's tedious given the number of prefabs.

Furthermore, all materials have lost their shader as long as it is custom. Materials using Unity's standard Diffuse shader are still there. Reconnecting meshes to prefabs might be tedious, but is still doable since I had used a good naming convention. In contrast, reconnecting shaders to materials (and therefore textures to shaders) is near impossible ...

Deleting and rebuilding the Library folder did nothing. Is there a fix for this?

21. ferretnt

ferretnt

Same problem with 4.3.1. Editor builds show serialization errors. iOS just doesn't load, saying "mainData" is corrupted.

22. daisySa

daisySa

Are any of you using Manufactura K4's "Autumnal Nature" asset when getting this error? There's a different thread where someone just reported this error after importing that package - and that also fits with my experience.

Mismatched serialization in the builtin class 'Mesh'

23. MrAdventure

MrAdventure

I'm getting this error as well. I'm not using the Autumnal Nature asset daisyDynamics.

24. BenKurdziel

BenKurdziel

While we still have the topic around, I have the same problem, everything is 1 byte less than expected.

And for daisy, I am using the Autumnal Nature Pack, though it seems much more widespread an issue.

Tried re-importing everything to no avail

25. RayWolf

RayWolf

THANK YOU!

This solved all of my 'Mismatched ~' Errors. Many many thx!

my very best regards,
    Ray

26. metaleap

metaleap

This comes up when I just imported tons of Asset Store assets into a new project. Unity 4.3.2 --- this has got to be a bug since UT cannot possibly expect to ask 1000s of Asset Store artists out there (many of whom have since moved on but whose works are still decent buys) to republish their otherwise-totally-fine-FBXes.

To summarize, UT this isn't just an issue when upgrading older projects! This affects a significant share of Asset Store products out there. Hence, you guys better get some workaround code for older "serialization formats" in there. Because, guess what, I really do want to use those purchased paid assets without having to worry whether the dude who made them a few summers ago is still alive. So um please treat FBX files just like texture images and sounds: as raw source formats that should always be totally parsable even if the original author is no longer around to republish. KTHX!

Of course "re-import" won't resolve this, as this does the exact same thing as the initial import --- that is, recreate asset metadata from the original local file.

Sheesh, can't wait to see this fixed in a soonish hotfix update (how did this occur in 4.3.1 and is still there in 4.3.2?), along with 2-5 completely new issues introduced of course.. to keep that adrenaline rush during a new install and subsequent 20-50 agonizing hours of "project upgrade" (yes I have many assets in use) going. Would be way too boring if new minor or major releases were all of a sudden one quick one-click worry-free affair!

27. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

I'm running into the mismatched serialization issue as well, and it is locking up my inspector client--sometimes permanently, so that I have to shut down Unity via the task manager (and thereby lose any unsaved work). I'm running Unity on a brand new gaming rig, so it definitely feels like a Unity-side issue.

Hope this gets resolved very quickly. Are folks rolling back to an older Unity version to get around this for now? 4.2.2 maybe?

28. metaleap

metaleap

Noticed that too, thankfully not too often but when it happens, it drives me mad. Though I didn't really connect the two issues, not sure how related they are. Definitely something that hardly ever happened in 4.2.x.

Have resisted rolling back to 4.2.2 again (after having done so previously already for 4.3.0!........) but 4.2.2 will be fine for you as far as this issue is concerned.

29. Skyboard_Studios

Skyboard_Studios

bump!

I started to get these mesh errors when using "Smooth Moves" plug in.. but i am also running 2DTK so about 3 months ago when I was building some animations this error popped up.... I thought it was perhaps in the key framing. But during this time I was also adding some atlas's and spritesheets so it is hard to pinpoint. ahhh

$Screen Shot 2014-01-05 at 5.17.08 PM.png

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  30. metaleap

metaleap

Hi Skyboard, I can "reassure" you it probably has nothing to do with 2DTK or Smooth Moves or animations or atlases or spritesheets...

this happens to me even in an empty, completely script-free new project importing various packages with meshes from Asset Store --- doesn't happen to all of them, but too many to ignore or tick it off as "faulty assets", nope this is a completely new bug with many mesh imports since 4.3.1 or 4.3.2 as far as I can tell.

31. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Yup, I get this issue with new projects same as metaleap. I did install 4.2.2 on an older machine I had laying around, and I don't run into this problem on that version, but it's an imperfect solution to a much bigger problem. Hopefully, the Unity devs can get this sorted out and fixed soon!

32. OceanBlue

OceanBlue

Just adding my two cents to the thread

I don't use any plug-ins. Very simple scene consisting of 9 sprites, one cube with texture and one textMesh.

From this I get three of these:

33. RadioactiveXP

RadioactiveXP

Anyone heard of some sort of timeline for a fix for this issue?

34. Zebrakiller

Zebrakiller

Having same issue when trying to add stuff form the store.

35. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Would be nice if someone at Unity could acknowledge that this issue is being fixed as it reflects badly on the asset store when someone's first impression of buying an asset is a screen full of error messages, that then results in communication with the asset author asking when the issue will be fixed and maybe even bad reviews on the store through no fault of the author.

36. komodor

komodor

i have this problem when i am trying to build mac app through pipeline on windows pc and it crashed and the app is not build, however when i am building it through file / build setting i see just 3 lines with this error but the build is finished and works (for win and for osx) when i am using pipe line to build web or windows project it throws lot of those errors, but the build is there and works .. only problem is with the osx version

37. stevedarby02

stevedarby02

Bump

I too am having the issue after importing the Autumn pack. This really needs fixing. As someone mentioned i would like to use the assets i've purchased!

38. xandeck

xandeck

Bump, here too... funny, no support answer for weeks. Is everybody here sending the bug form? If not, I really recommend, they must check it faster

39. xandeck

xandeck

Oh, just tested what Don Whitaker said... for me, the problem started after importing the Autumn Nature Pack. And really, the error stopped after updating the Tree button for the trees I had in scene (the ones created with Unity Tree). No more errors for me now :)

40. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

That doesn't solve the problem for a lot of other 3D assets though, unfortunately. I'd like to hear about some official response as well.

41. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Same here, just a word to say they are working on it.

42. TheGrimDerp

TheGrimDerp

This one worked for me - was getting tons of the 1 byte short error, saved scene, saved project, > load project poof gone. :cool:

43. stevedarby02

stevedarby02

Hi,

Could you expand on that? i'm getting loads of the same errors. What did you do exactly?

Thanks

44. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Has anyone submitted this as a bug to Unity if so is there a case number?

45. stevedarby02

stevedarby02

All,

I emailed Graham who responded to a message earlier on in this thread.

Please see response: Please can the initial requester pick this up?

Hi Steve,

There Support team are not tracking any issues related to this. The QA team have a bug 579650, but the user who submitted the bug hasn't responded to QA requests for more information. If you have a simple repro, it would be worth submitting a bug report, and mention 579650.

Thanks,
    Graham

46. metaleap

metaleap

I too submitted a bug report on this (I guess a number of us have), never received a request for more information but the repro case is "keep importing 3D mesh asset *.unitypackage's, for example free ones from Asset Store, and before long you'll run into this"...............

47. daisySa

daisySa

Oops - that was my bug report, I thought I responded to their request for my project.

It's closed so I can't update it, but the response was "can't repro in a smaller project".

48. Griautis

Griautis

AI & Physics STE Unity Technologies

Hello there,

Could someone send a bug report, which contains a project which reproduces the problem? That would be really helpful in fixing this issue. Post the number of the bug report here so I can fetch it as soon as possible

Cheers,
    Ugnius
    QA Team

49. Dantus

Dantus

Hell, three pages and no one reported it?!

Case 588450

50. Griautis

Griautis

AI & Physics STE Unity Technologies

Thank you for the report with the reproduction project. That immediately allowed me to reproduce the problem. I've sent the bug to the developers for resolution. I cannot tell when the resolution will become publicly available.

Cheers,
    Ugnius
    QA team