1. Submit bugs to enter our 5.4 Beta Sweepstakes. Read more about it here.
  2. Unity 5.4 public beta is now available for all users. Grab the build and visit the 5.4 beta forum.
  3. Missing a module? More about the new installer in 5.3 here.
  4. 4.7.1 released for Xcode 7.3 support. Thread here.

Profiler: Cleanup Unused Cached Data

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by Texaggie96, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Texaggie96

Texaggie96

I was profiling one of our games and I noticed a spike in profiler. The description of the item is "Cleanup Unused Cached Data". I haven't see this before, and a google of the problem brought nothing up. This causes a significant hitch in performance. Does anybody have a better description of what this entails (what is this cached data)? and possibly solutions to "clean up" more frequently to avoid this hit at one time?

2. bekiryanik

bekiryanik

I have same problem. Mine has TextRendering.Cleanup also. Does anyone know what could be the problem?

3. idurvesh

idurvesh

same here, anyone know why is so?

4. bekiryanik

bekiryanik

Hello again,

I was actually thinking that my projects have lags because of unused cached data but after a lot of sources, i have realized that there are other problems with my project and the actual problem is different;

- First of all i have changed all of my 3D objects from high-mid poly to low poly.
    - Then i decreased material use in screen. For instance: previously i had around 1000 materials in my game screen, after that i used an asset that gathers textures into one texture, i gather textures into one texture and now i have 50-100 materials in my game screen. Right now i don't exactly remember the name of the asset that i use to gather all texture in my screen into one texture and material. When i remind it, i will tell you.
    - I was doing create prefab object and destroy it when it came a certain point in screen. I changed this as this;
    --> I put all object prefabs that i want to create during game play, in my game screen and i made them invisible and after the game is started, i made them visible when i need to use them and after they arrive the point that they need to be destoried, i made them invisible. For short, i prevent create and destory function during game play by doing this circle. This also prevents to happen unused cache data.

These steps what i did above, gave me a lagless game. My game is now working like a charm. If you are looking for cleaning up unused cached data to prevent lag, first of all try these steps and then if you still have lag, check your codes.

I hope this helps you guys.
    Best regards.