Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Professional games programming courses

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Lisa C, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Lisa C

Lisa C

Hi everyone,

I've been looking online for a general introduction to games programming, rather than being specifically for Unity. I can already program in C#, and am familiar with graphics programs and concepts, but I need to learn best practices for making games, like AI, how to generate dynamic tilemaps, optimization, general workflow.

At this stage, I can make a basic game in unity quite easily, but I am worried that I will take on some bad habits.

I'd prefer a paid service, like Lynda.com for instance, avoiding youtube which is quite hit and miss.

I found these so far which seem to be the kind of thing that I am looking for:
    http://www.gameinstitute.com/
    http://www.digitaltutors.com/software/Unity-tutorials

Has anyone tried these? Do you have any recommendations please?

Thankyou in advance! :)

2. ManAmazin

ManAmazin

Game institute looks cool, ive personally used digital tutors for my Maya learning and also peaked at unity tutorials they are pretty awesome overall only downfall(for me anyways) is variety but that can be a personal preference

3. Teila

Teila

I use Lynda.com, which you already mentioned. I love it. Digital Tutors looks good and I have free access to the Maya tutorials there. They have been good but not as thorough as Lynda.com's. Maybe that is why they are free to Maya users. ;)

4. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Digital tutors is probably your best bet, but if you're looking for game development best practices using Unity, digital tutors isn't really your place. They kind of suck when it comes to the engine tutorials. They are more commonly known for their 3D modeling and everything else creative.

What bad habits are you afraid of taking on? Maybe someone on the forums can help clarify where you stand.

Best,

Jon

5. Wrymnn

Wrymnn

Bad habits like this?

for(int i =0; i < 5; i+=1)
    {
    i -= 1;
    }

:)

6. randomperson42

randomperson42

I hate that one, do it all the time.

7. Venged

Venged

I am happy with training I get from Digital Tutors for Modo and Zbrush as well as other topics like Substance and Sketchbook Pro.

3Dbuzz has some good courses but sometimes they have two people chatting and making jokes during the lesson. That was a turn off for me but not a deal breaker. It just waste some time in my opinion.

I have only tried one tutorial from Lynda and it was presented well also.

I might take the programming courses from this source that you posted http://www.gameinstitute.com/
    This looks awesome and at a great price:)

Thanks!

8. CarterG81

CarterG81

GameInstitute taught me C++. So I can vouch for the two great books on game programming in C++.

Venged likes this.
  9. CarterG81

CarterG81

That is a pretty big one. It gets annoying when they chat for so long, just wasting your time when you just want to learn.

That, and I've heard of them stealing people's money, refusing refunds for legitimate reasons, and even threatening their subscribers with lawsuits for petty reasons. I've read a few bad reviews when typing in "3dBuzz scam" in google. So honestly, I'd stay away from 3DBuzz. Mainly for the overly talkative videos. Time is too valuable to waste.

Venged likes this.
  10. Venged

Venged

Yes I have to agree with that. If you can find an alternative learning source for your desired topic I would skip 3DBuzz. However the training is good if there is no alternative in your price range or period.

I just purchased the Game Institute 5 year access plan and started the C++ course. so far it is awesome and very detailed with no wasted time:)

CarterG81 likes this.
  11. Venged

Venged

Let us also recognize that unity has done a great job with the learning section. One can learn C# and many other topics right there. That is how I got most of my C#, Mecanim, and Editor training. I feel that that section is under appreciated.

CarterG81 likes this.
  12. CarterG81

CarterG81

The popularity of Unity (user documentation) combined with its regular documentation is definitely one of its biggest strengths.

I agree that it is under appreciated.

People always say this or that as the strength of using Unity. Stuff like "You don't have to do the basics like creating an engine for rendering or input." That is actually the easy parts even in a custom engine. A few days at most.

The power of Unity is in its documentation, in a world of horrible documentation and programmers with undeveloped writing/teaching skills.

Also in its scripting system, being able to script in C# instead of having to write your own language bindings for Lua (naturally in C, not even C++). In its choice to use C# instead of C++ (a great decision). In its editor and scene structure, allowing Unity to be both a game TOOL and a game ENGINE.

Its power is not just its cross-platform capabilities, but in the vast hardware it supports, and its web player (which is mostly ignored and being sent to the grave). (Something like >90% of Oculus Rift games are made using Unity).

There are other strengths of Unity, that people rarely mention. The strengths they do mention are definitely not what I'd say the strengths are though, with the exception of cross-platform development. That is obviously a huge strength that everyone mentions.

Oh, and the asset store. If it were not for the asset store, Unity would be pretty crappy compared to how it is now. That asset store IS Unity. Without it, there is little reason to use Unity compared to a custom solution. With it, you save days, sometimes weeks or even months. Plus you can be a lot lazier by not having to do all that thinking yourself. That in itself is a huge strength.

Venged likes this.
  13. Venged

Venged

I agree CarterG81. I came to all those same conclusion myself. That is why I finally broke down and got the Unity Pro license and stopped whining about the price. When I left T3D to use Unity it actually developed my game development skills because of all the things you mentioned. I use UE4 and Unity and would never part with Unity so even those engine vs engine threads are mute for me:). The training is right there but too often taken for granted. I remember learning to C# script for Mecanim from their training that was available around the same time as the Mecanim launch.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
    CarterG81 likes this.