Search Unity

Problems installing 5.2.0f3 (VS Community 2015 related)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Caphalem, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Caphalem

Caphalem

I'm trying to install Unity 5.2.0f3 on a Windows 10 (upgraded from 8.1) machine and I get the following error:

"Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015 installer is blocked with error -2147205120. Possible reasons for this: Visual Studio is running, and needs to be closed before installing; a newer version of Visual Studio is installed; your computer needs to be restarted; or April 2014 update for Windows 8.1 is not installed. Please install KB 2919355 if this is the case."​

With the options "Abort", "Retry", "Ignore". I'm new to Unity and don't want to mess up the installation so I press "Abort" until I can figure out the situation.

My comments on the "possible reasons":
    • Visual Studio is running, and needs to be closed before installing. If it is, then it's running in a very subtle way where I can't even notice it in the processes list of the Details tab in the Task Manager. Pretty sure it's not running.
    • A newer version of Visual Studio is installed. I don't have Visual Studio installed but I do have Visual Studio C++ Redistributables installed of which the latest one is from 2013 (12.0.30501). Shouldn't be the case.
    • Your computer needs to be restarted. Tried it - didn't help.
    • Or April 2014 update for Windows 8.1 is not installed. Indeed that (KB 2919355) update is missing from the "installed updates" list but would that really be a good idea? To hunt down and install this 8.1 update on a 10?

2. TEBZ_22

TEBZ_22

I've got the same error on win8.1.
    But after running Windows update (there were some pending updates), and a restart, the re-installation seems to work.

3. shinka_14

shinka_14

D: same problem here

4. Caphalem

Caphalem

I solved it in a similar matter, I tried to install vs community 2015 separately. The installation told me that my pc needs to be restarted. Weird. Did a quick check for updates, found one pending, installed, restarted and installed vs community 2015. Later, successfully installed Unity 5.2.0f3 :3

5. vias16

vias16

I have the same problem and i pressed ignore :/ after that, the unity installation is finished. I want to ask will my unity still be okay? Or should i just reinstall it again?ㅠㅠ

6. meat5000

meat5000

Error exists on Win 7. Clicked ignore. Seems fine.

7. Recluse

Recluse

I'm having this problem too. Restarted / updated Windows does not fix the issue for me. I chose ignore and Unity installed - however the editor crashes frequently and VR no longer works.

8. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

9. meat5000

meat5000

It seems the ignore options works if your install fails due to already having a viable VS install. If it err'd for any other reason it appears to not work.

I, personally, have experienced no issues beyond the ignore button.

10. Recluse

Recluse

I already had Visual Studio 2013 installed. I've just uninstalled it and restarted. Same problem, Setup of VS community is blocked. It says I need to restart, but I've done that a dozen times already.

11. Recluse

Recluse

Attached Files:

12. John-LZG

John-LZG

I had this same error on a clean install of windows 10, no visual studio edition ever installed on this drive.

13. Recluse

Recluse

I did a system cleanup, including removing a pending uninstalled update of Windows 10 (I'm on 8.1) and was able to install Visual Studio Community 2015 without any issues.

14. karanbulani

karanbulani

exactly same happened to me:(windows 7)
    1) upgrade your windows 7 by searching update on start menu .
    2) upgrade only your major updates not minor.
    3)restart it and try again installing(make sure you have proper internet connection)