Search Unity

problem hosting web player on dropbox

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by krivel, Jan 10, 2014.

1. krivel

krivel

I've heard from multiple users that you can host a webplayer version of a unity project on dropbox by putting it in your public folder...the html and unity file. I tried this and it does not work. I just always get the "install unity web player" button and no matter how many times I install it...it doesn't load and play. Anyway around this?

2. krivel

krivel

Bump. Sorry...still curious if anyone has a solution for this? Not sure how others have had success by mine won't work. Both files are in public folder but still getting prompted over and over to install Unity web plugin.

3. kryptopath2

kryptopath2

i had this issue some time also.. it helped to remove the "s" from https

4. krivel

krivel

Thanks...that seemed to do the trick!!!

5. Hakimo

Hakimo

Hi,

Sorry to bump this, but I'm having problems hosting games on Dropbox. I've copied the html and unity3d file into the public folder of dropbox, copied the public link, and remove the "s" from "https://". Game still doesn't load, and it still shows the download unity player button. I've tried this on chrome and firefox and it still doesn't work but noticed that even when i removed the "s", the link will automatically insert an "s".

Is this a dropbox or a browser issue?

Thanks in advanced.

6. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

@Hakimo, I tested the hosting of a game in a Dropbox Public Folder and it works properly (with and without "s"). Therefore, we can assume that it is a browser issue. When you provide more information on the OS and Browser versions you use, we can try to find a solution!

7. Arowx

Arowx

I think the problem is that Drop Box have removed public folders from newer free drop box accounts, you can file share but the problem is that when you view the webplayers web page you are not able to obtain the link to the unity3d file.

Try setting up a new free drop box account to test it.

8. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

@Arowx, you are completely right, I just registered a new user for testing purpose and new users do not have the public folder anymore. :( Therefore, the user needs to download the whole project and can not execute it from the web browser anymore, but as Hakimo still has access to a public folder this might still be another problem.

9. Hakimo

Hakimo

@DavidBerger Hi David. Thanks for the reply. It is a browser issue. Previously, I tested the game using the latest version of Firefox and Chrome on both MacOS X and Windows 7. However I just tested the game on Safari on the Mac and it works. There was just a pop up asking whether I trust the site. I also noticed, regardless of Chrome of Firefox, even when I remove the 's' in the 'https', it will add the 's' by default when it loads the page.