Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Pro trial version of unity 2.5

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by Filto, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Filto

Filto

Hi!

I see that the trial for the current unity is only Indie version. For the upcoming 2.5 version it would be great to be able to download a trial of the pro version.

Since I am a graphic artist I of course have a big interest in those areas of unity and all the goodies like post effects, realtime shadows, reflection/refraction are restricted to pro.

Shouldn't you show of the full potential of unity to possible future customers. Why limit a trial version?

Well anyway I'm eagerly waiting for the windows version. Looks great!!

Sincerely Fred

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Take another look at the download page, particularly the lower-right corner.

--Eric

3. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

As Eric indicated there's more information to be had on the trial download page. Specifically you can write us and request Pro or Unity iPhone trials, just drop a line to sales@unity3d.com and let us know you're interested. :)

FYI: the site is being updated so the text in question is right below the download button just because of cases like this. As it is it's down and away from the button and the trial seeker's attention. So the OP is not alone in missing that blurb!

4. Filto

Filto

Yes I did notice the text in the bottom right. I just didn't see the reason for not just having a direct download of the version you are interested in or if there were special merits for getting an evaluation copy (being a game company etc).

Thinking about it for another second I can see the problem in having a full trial for download. (the piracy issue that is).

Well thanks for the quick answer and sorry for not thinking stuff through before posting :oops: :wink:

And I will let you now as soon as the windows version is out. Don't worry aboout that. ;) The engine and workflow looks really promising.

5. Spacemonkey

Spacemonkey

Actually, how about keeping the pro features in indie as a preview option? Something like pro effects only running in the editor and not builds OR drop a big ugly splash screen with "not for commercial use" or whatever in indie builds using pro effects.

Ok, this might sound raving mad but think about it. Users into serious developing will get pro somewhere down the road if they need it no matter what, and people who use it on a hobbyist basis won't feel justified to spend more than $1000 to get the extra toys anyways. But some of them might also think hmm.. why pay for a hobbled version when I can download the full package off torrent site X and mess around all I want with the unrestricted one? This is more or less bound to happen with a windows release unfortunately, but allowing indie users preview options will remove much of the incentive to pirate the pro version.

Another advantage would be more user-created content utilizing pro features, like shaders and other goodies, since indie users will also be able to contribute.

Just a thought. Sorry about the hijack.

6. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

They are there waiting for preview, you just need to ask for a Pro trial key to plug-in. ;)

Thieves will be thieves and steal software no matter what the feature delta is nor how/where features are exposed for preview.

Nothing is broken, we have a readily downloadable Indie trial and those that want a Pro and/or iPhone trial only need to send a simple email to get those. No amount of jockeying about with how/where Pro features get previewed or not will reduce the piracy potential one bit IM-not so-HO. :)

7. Spacemonkey

Spacemonkey

So if I want to see how my game looks with pro feature X I can still get another pro trial? If so, great! Thanks for the heads-up :)

Maybe baby :p But what's stuff like Maya PLE all about then? Don't agree with the "will steal software no matter what", people pirate software for a lot of reasons (drm-malware springs to mind) and recognizing those is a step in the right direction to prevent it, no? It's all moot here anyways though, with pro trial already being renewable on request.. errr, I read that bit right, right? :eek:

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

Maya PLE is just a demo.
    As it can not be used for any kind of production, its quite a bit different to unity :)

Also, unity Pro costs $1500 unlike the $3500 of Maya Unlimited. Comparing the Indie vs the comparable Maya ends even worse ^^

9. Spacemonkey

Spacemonkey

Yep, but except for export it has all the features from Unlimited intact, so it's comparable as far as previewing features go I think.

10. Dreamora

Dreamora

There is no low cost version of Maya that has all features but does not export them so for the comparision to Maya: Unity is the same
    just that unity does not offer a worthless version that has everything but only works in the editor without any player build capability

11. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Not quite, sorry. :) If you've previewed them already once then you've previewed them and it's time to buy or go without. That wasn't an invitation for repeated unlimited use, it was an offer for a _time-limited_ preview (30-days). ;)

12. Spacemonkey

Spacemonkey

Damn! Hehe.. well I see why of course even though I wasn't exactly planning on renewing the pro trial every month. But I would like to be able to preview the pro features again somewhere down the road to know whether or not they justify the purchase (didn't really get to dig into those features during the first trial period), hence my suggestion for a preview option in the editor window.

That's my point though. If you want to see whether the pro-only bloom effect for instance looks and behaves in a way that makes it usable for you then a "useless" preview version would enable you to make that judgement without being restricted to a non-renewable trial period.

13. Dakta

Dakta

Well, this sort of goes into my idea about having certain features be purchased alone. So if you want basic shadows, but don't need the other features of Pro, you could buy shadows for something like $100-$200 (maybe? seems reasonable), and have INDIE with shadows.

I like the idea of being able to preview features in the editor, and combined with being able to buy individual features, it would make a custom Unity installation fairly easy. Buy INDIE, start working, see what features you need, but them as you see you need them.

It would make it more affordable for the hobbyist, and would keep from having a very limited 30 day window for Pro features, but having to still buy all of Pro.

Is my idea possible?

Who likes it? (A metaphorical show of hands will do.)

14. Dreamora

Dreamora

No its not possible, at least not on the price scale you seem to hope for.

Reason is that if single features are sold standalone, those sold features have to pay for their development and a part of the future developement investment.

Which especially for shadow likely means that $200 is nice but at best a daydream as it is one of the major features (especially shadows require render textures), so it would cost 40%++ of the Indie to Pro upgrade on its own.
    I highly doubt there is a market to sell individual plugins.
    Given how many already see $100 for additional code from 3rd party as too much, its just not realistic.
    you have to realize that the Indie to Pro upgrade is actually a peanut deal.
    Split it appart and the same features will easily cost you $2000+
    It works out in the Indie -> Pro path because less complex features compensate for complex features.

Also standalone plugins make it near impossible for hobbiest to even realize what they require to do given stuff.
    I think this was just shown by your shadow price plugin assumption as I doubt that you were aware that render textures would also play in there.

15. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Possible? Yes, of course.

Something we'll do? No, not likely.

Our pricing and licensing options offer you a ton of value for the money and a la carte pricing is really not something we want to offer beyond what we have now (Unity [Indie/Pro], Unity iPhone [Basic/Advanced], Asset Server Client).

16. Dakta

Dakta

Oh, well. Seems like a fine enough argument.

17. poko

poko

Hi HiggyB,

I have send 5 days ago an email to sales@unity3d.com asking for Unity Pro trial, but still no answer.
    Btw. what I need to make simple trying how you present on Demo Movie: http://unity3d.com/unity/features/iphone-publishing ?
    I have dan some game and i need to try how works on my iPhone, so what I need to see how works like in yours example?
    Unity Pro is enough or I still need Unity iPhone also ?
    Best.
    Poko.

18. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

If you are looking to trial the iPhone version, you would need to request it -- not pro. You still need to do a request to sales@, but iphone is not the same as pro.

19. poko

poko

Thanks Charles.

But is the Unity iPhone all I need to build a game for Apple iPhone or I need also some Unity Pro or Unity Indie + some "Asset Server client license".
    Sory but I'am little bit confused, what to choose?
    Best.
    PO.

20. ryanzec

ryanzec

In order to get iPhone Basic you must have Unity 2.X Indie or Pro. In order to get iPhone Advanced, must must have Unity 2.X Pro. Also iPhone development is still limited to the Mac OS. All this information is available on the store page of the website.

21. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I'm sorry about that, I've found your emails and grabbed them out of the queue and will reply shortly.

Unity iPhone licenses are add-ons to existing base Unity licenses so you need:

Unity + Unity iPhone

And you can combine those in the following ways:

Unity Indie + Unity iPhone Basic
    Unity Pro + Unity iPhone Basic
    Unity Pro + Unity iPhone Advanced

22. poko

poko

I have got your email, thank's

23. WillBellJr

WillBellJr

I know this topic has been rehashed ad nauseum, I'm a just recently bought the indie of v2.5 for Windows and I'm slowly learning the system.

I've been lusting over Unity since I heard about it years ago when it was Mac only.

Having purchased so many "engines" in the past that pale in comparision, buying in at $200 was a no-brainer.

I just wish you folks would "meet us half-way" with the Pro version.

I would have been willing to spend $500 - $750 or so for a Pro version that requires either a splash screen, corner logo or both!

My passion is for the old Wing Commander games and my goal is to eventually try to bring my own WC type game to fruition.

It's gonna take me a while so I'm no where near ready to worry about publishing or selling - I'd be proud to have a Unity logo or splash if this is the system that FINALLY allows me to develop the game that's been in my heart since the late '90s!

Spending $200 was easy, going from $200 - $1500 wasn't so easy for me (at this point in time).

I know eventually I'll up to the Pro version anyway, I just wish I could have got at least a bit closer to it for my initial buy in...

-Will

24. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Unity Indie will in no way prevent you from making a good space combat game, so I would say don't worry about it, and trade up to Pro after you start selling your game. :)

--Eric

25. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I think that the view being taken is entirely tainted by the Indie price backdrop and folks lose a bit of perspective on just how much of a deal Pro really is. Please don't look at the relative prices and ask yourself to honestly evaluate Unity Pro at it's full price, without considering the Indie price at all. Is it worth it for the money? I think the answer is an emphatic yes. :)

Now meld that with the fact that we do then offer Indie at a ridiculous price of only $199 as your first step in and I hope you see that we've done more than meet you half way already. :)

26. WillBellJr

WillBellJr

Higgy, following your suggestion here, I email'd sales back on Friday about a Pro trial, haven't heard anything yet - is this normal?

-Will

Okay I recieved an email with the temp serials - thanks so much!

I had planned on waiting before I registered the serial cause at this point, I'm not sure I can get the best use out of the Pro features, or even understand them, still learning Unity and all - but I couldn't resist!

I'll try and make the best out of my 30-days!