Search Unity

Private Eye - Psychological VR Thriller

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by silentslack, Nov 10, 2013.

1. silentslack

silentslack

Howdy,

We would like to share with you a project currently in development called Private Eye. Private Eye is a psychological, thriller being developed for the virtual reality headset Oculus Rift and tablet devices. It started life as part of the Oculus Rift game jam competition, where it made the final. Here is the trailer for the original demo:

Due to awesome reception we had to the demo we decided we just had to pursue and (re)develop the game into a full title. We have morphed the premise into a more atmospheric, narrative-driven experience. We want to make the most cinematic experience possible for VR and tablets (aim for the stars!)

Here is a teaser to the new Private Eye:

We will have a gameplay demo ready to go alongside our Kickstarter project in December. We hope you like our project and hope you will follow us to the bitter, grisly end!

Many thanks, Jake the Private Eye team

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  2. gryff

gryff

Interesting. I hope you show more about that as you build and update your Kickstarter project.

cheers, gryff :)

3. silentslack

silentslack

Aweomse, shouldn't be too too long until we have ingame bits to show off. More info about the story of the game and history can be found at our official site in the meantime :)

4. gryff

gryff

Looking forward to it. Long been a fan of the detective mystery (ever since I heard a Sherlock Holmes play on BBC radio) and I am intrigued by the interactive memories concept. While games producers pay more attention to story - I am not sure that how that story is delivered has changed a lot since the days of Seventh Guest and Myst (LA Noire not withstanding).

Will be watching for those "ingame bits"

cheers, gryff :)

5. New Day Dawning Studio

New Day Dawning Studio

Wow looks great. Can't wait to get my own Oculus Rift!

6. PixelHeadHD

PixelHeadHD

This looks brilliant, absolutely adore detective/private eye games :D

7. silentslack

silentslack

A quick update with some screens from Private Eye!

Sam's 1950s cop car:
    $interior3.jpg

A still from the opening scene:
    $Truck.jpg

Will be back with a snippet from the gameplay demo due to be released later next month. Hope you like the look of the moody atmosphere we're going for?

Cheers, Jake

8. suctioncup

suctioncup

Just a thought, if you add in a curb and a small concrete path it would look more realistic. Even if you just throw in a curb and smooth the road-earth transition, right now its a bit too harsh. Other than that, bloody well done :)

9. silentslack

silentslack

Yeah, I agree with you there. I've tried to make it a little less stark by shaping the road and ground mesh a little but the transition still doesn't look natural. Don't really want to add a pavement as we're going for this "out-in-the-sticks" type atmosphere. Any other ideas!?

10. virror

virror

Maybe add some kind of ditch or something a long the road?
    Game looks brilliant : )

11. gryff

gryff

A bit of a gravel edge to the road?

And as an aside, through watching the videos again, I'm reminded of the Alfred Hitchcock film starring Jimmy Stewart - Rear Window.

cheers,gryff :)

12. GoodEnoughGames

GoodEnoughGames

Loving the look of this, great job :)

13. silentslack

silentslack

Hey guys,

Been awhile since our last update but reporting back to say we are coming along very nicely. We're nearly about ready to release a demo of the game to go along with a Kickstarter campaign. Hope anyone with an Oculus or without has a little interest in us :)

We have just got some concept art made up for the main view from the player's apartment. This will be one view of many in the game.

$alleyview_CamilleKuo_final3.jpg

Should be back soon with more details and more ingame images/videos soon! Wish us luck for the Kickstarter video (filming this weekend!).

Thanks, Jake

14. silentslack

silentslack

We are soon to launch a demo onto the Oculus Share platform. Here is a sneak peak of what is in store. Hope you're intrigued.

15. davem250

davem250

This... Is... Friggin' Awesome :D I love psychological thriller games, especially those with a private eye and you are it! Reminds me so much of the good 90's with Black Dahlia (the 7 or 8 disc game not the movie!) i loved it so much back then and still do so please complete this game already :p i want to try it out already :D (even though i am still waiting for my OCR to arrive...)

silentslack likes this.
  16. silentslack

silentslack

Thanks dude, such a response makes all the sweat and tears worth it. Hope we meet expectations.

17. davem250

davem250

I'm sure you will ;) at least mine :)

18. Ocid

Ocid

Another reason to think about getting an Oculus.

19. silentslack

silentslack

We are super ecstatic to say we have been selected as a finalist for IndieCade :) We hope this helps get more and more of the world into VR.

If you have yourself an Oculus, you can play the demo that was selected from our official site: privateeyevr.com

Thanks!

20. HolBol

HolBol

Is political satire included?

21. silentslack

silentslack

There will be a dose political observations and the central character will def have some humorous lines but it's not a predominant theme. We are billing Private Eye as a 'neo-noir' thriller set in the 1950s as it will probably have more in common thematically with films such as Memento, The Game, Se7en than classic noir from the 40s. There will be influences and elements from film noir for sure but not to the same degree as something like LA Noire.

22. HolBol

HolBol

I'm assuming you're not from the UK then ;).

23. silentslack

silentslack

Here is some gameplay footage for those that don't have themselves a rift (yet!). Spoiler Alert!