Search Unity

Prefab Evolution Plugin(nested prefabs)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by PrefabEvolution, Mar 27, 2014.

1. ptblk

ptblk

and

Inherited property Error: Prefab script not found on
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object, Object)
    PrefabEvolution.PEExposedProperties:GetInheritedProperties() (at Assets/PrefabEvolution/Sources/PEExposedProperties.cs:56)
    PrefabEvolution.PEExposedProperties:get_Items() (at Assets/PrefabEvolution/Sources/PEExposedProperties.cs:148)
    PrefabEvolution.PEExposedProperties:get_OrderedItems() (at Assets/PrefabEvolution/Sources/PEExposedProperties.cs:157)
    PrefabEvolution.PEExposedPropertiesEditor:Build(Boolean) (at Assets/PrefabEvolution/Sources/Editor/PropertyExposure/PEExposedPropertiesEditor.cs:74)
    PrefabEvolution.PEExposedPropertiesEditor:Build() (at Assets/PrefabEvolution/Sources/Editor/PropertyExposure/PEExposedPropertiesEditor.cs:62)
    PrefabEvolution.PEExposedPropertiesEditor:.ctor(PEPrefabScript[]) (at Assets/PrefabEvolution/Sources/Editor/PropertyExposure/PEExposedPropertiesEditor.cs:49)
    PrefabEvolution.PEGameObjectInspectorOverride:OnEnable() (at Assets/PrefabEvolution/Sources/Editor/PEGameObjectInspectorOverride.cs:21)

2. kromenak

kromenak

Hi, I purchased the plugin and am using it in Unity 5.1.1. For the most part, it works great, but I'm noticing a problem on a fairly simple use case.

I have a "map" prefab with several nodes. Each node is a nested prefab, and each node has a graphic inside of it.

Code (CSharp):
    1. - Map
    2.     - Node1 (nested prefab)
    3.         - Graphic
    4.     - Node2 (nested prefab)
    5.         - Graphic
    6.     - And so on
    I noticed that the Graphic's Z position was incorrect in the node (at -10 instead of 0). So, I pulled the master prefab into the scene, adjusted the graphic's Z position to 0, and hit apply. It appears to apply changes to the nested nodes, but when I look at the nested node prefabs, the graphic is still positioned at -10 for all nodes.

It doesn't seem to be a total fail though - If I add a new GameObject to the master prefab, or adjust the width/height of an existing GameObject, the change sticks for all nested prefabs. Is there something that I should be aware of for positioning of child objects or anything like that? Or are there any good ways to debug the issue?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  3. kromenak

kromenak

Hmm, actually, it seems that the issue was that my nested prefab instances somehow got several of their child objects modified. If I open the Evolve Prefab "Modifications" list, I can see a number of modifications on the various child objects.

Is there a good way to revert these modifications in bulk? I'd like to maintain modifications on one of my scripts on each nested prefab, but I'd like to revert the other changes errantly done. It appears the Evolve Prefab doesn't support multi-object selection, so do I need to go through each object individually and manually revert the unwanted modifications?

4. wangbenchong

wangbenchong

Thank you for your reply. If you use AssetServer instead of svn or git, you will find that if you changed the meta of prefab,AssetServer will think you changed the prefab,too. Because AssetServer want user ignore the existing of meta(I think).

5. VicariousAlex

VicariousAlex

I just bought three licenses for my team. How do I send the other team members the licenses?

6. Prodigga

Prodigga

Hey man - is there a way to 'apply' changed on a nested prefab? (Yellow cube). I have my UI Root (Prefab) and nested inside it are parts of the UI - Header (nested prefab), Footer (nested prefab) etc. To edit the header, I have to drag a copy of the header prefab into the scene, modify it, and hit apply. I would like to edit the nested Header prefab in my scene directly and apply it, but there is no apply button. Only revert.

7. boolean01

boolean01

I'm getting this issue too - in my case it's because PE regenerates all the files on the disk when you save a scene, which causes the .meta files to be regenerated with a new 'timeCreated' value. If PE could not regenerate files when it detects no prefab changes on scene save, that would help a lot.

This becomes hard to work around where, every time you save a scene, hundreds of meta files get generated for every prefab in the project, forcing you to dig through them so you can only commit the one .cs file you modified to source control.

Edit #1: Also I'm getting an exception in PEOverrideInternalEditor.cs on line 14 when running the Unity unit test tools:

An exception of type 'System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException' occurred in mscorlib.dll but was not handled in user code

I wrapped it in a try/catch for now just so I could run my tests.

Edit #2: I've also noticed an issue that if I updated a nested prefab, it wont update any other prefabs that are using the nested prefab unless I manually go and click "Revert" on each of them every time. Is there some sort of "automatic update" option I need to turn on?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User

I get a lot of errors with this plug-in. Everytime I save an asset I get errors in broken English saying some values are not the same.

9. Laurens-Paladin-Studios

Laurens-Paladin-Studios

Hi there,

We are using Prefab evolution to maintain control over meshes in our 3D tile System. There is one small bug that keeps popping up when i update an .fbx from which I made a child prefab.
    • I have an fbx (like a floor tile)
    • I drag it into a scene and create a child object from the game object PE menu
    • I set the newly created child object to be static in the inspector window and hit apply.
    • I use the prefab in many scenes
    Here is where the bug pops up:
    • I update the .fbx of the floor tile (because for example I updated the geometry)
    • Now the child is no longer Static and i have to manually set it back to static again.
    It's not a very big thing, but it is easy to overlook and will brake our lighting.

Also, is there an easy way to create child prefabs from fbx in bulk, like selecting multiple objects in a scene and create child for all those objects at once?

Thank you very much in advance,

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  10. spolglase

spolglase

Hi,

We've recently updated to Unity 5.2.1p1 and when building our game Unity has been exceptioning out. After investigating the crash I noticed that if I force save the project prior to building, Unity doesn't crash. One big difference between force saving and not force saving is that the "Checking prefab dependencies process" runs. Sure enough I can also get Unity to not exception out if I force PrefabEvolution to run through the prefab dependency process.

I've uploaded two videos to show the issue:
    Crash

Force project save / No crash

Also note when I use 5.1.2f1 this issue doesn't present but when I use 5.2.0f3 it does so it seems like a bug introduced as of 5.2.

Has anyone else run across this issue with Unity 5.2 and Prefab Evolution?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  11. boolean01

boolean01

According to his profile, the developer of PE seems to login pretty much every day but I guess he doesn't check this thread anymore.

12. PrefabEvolution

PrefabEvolution

Sorry for that delay. Yesterday i have send new version to Asset Store review, and its will be avaliable soon. So if you want to get new version right now, jus mail me to prefabevolution@gmail.com.

noanoa likes this.
  13. boolean01

boolean01

Woohoo! Thanks! I'll just wait for the new version to go up. Is it possible to get a list of what the main fixes/changes are in the new version?

Side note: I see lots of people reporting that the notification system on these forums has been broken for a long time, so I thought maybe that was why you hadn't spotted the new posts. Re-reading my post it sounds a bit accusatory.

14. PrefabEvolution

PrefabEvolution

Today asses store have aproved new version.
    In this versoin i have fixed stability in 5.2 and fix bug with Unity tree system.

noanoa likes this.
  15. tive

tive

I've just updated Prefab Evolution in my project and noticed the following warning:
    "There are inconsistent line endings in the 'Assets/PrefabEvolution/Sources/Editor/PEOverrideInternalEditor.cs' script. Some are Mac OS X (UNIX) and some are Windows.
    This might lead to incorrect line numbers in stacktraces and compiler errors. Many text editors can fix this using Convert Line Endings menu commands."
    It's not a porblem at all, but it would be better to fix it for consitency :)

16. boolean01

boolean01

@PrefabEvolution : The new version is working great, no more meta tags when resaving the scene!

I'm still getting an exception in 'OverrideInternalEditorTypeMarkAttribute' in PEOverrideInternalEditor.cs ("An exception of type 'System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException' occurred in mscorlib.dll but was not handled in user code"), when using Unity Unit Tests, but that's not a big deal.

Cheers! :D

17. Prodigga

Prodigga

Hey @PrefabEvolution Just wondering if I could have a response to my question above

Thanks man.

18. noanoa

noanoa

Hi, PE works great except a certain prefab keeps crashing my editor when applying the prefab. I had hoped that the new version would fix it but it still 100% crashes my editor.

Looking at editor log, lines go like this.
    DoApply Completed
    (Filename: Assets/Standard Assets/Editor/PrefabEvolution/PEUtils.cs Line: 389)

m_VB != NULL
    (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/GfxDevice/d3d11/VertexBufferD3D11.cpp Line: 98)

Crash!!!

I'm not sure why D3D11 error is right before the crash occurs. Do you have any idea why the error happens?

19. noanoa

noanoa

I broke a prefab(which contains the above error giving prefab) and made a new one, with the same contents and the same name and the problem is gone now. I guess there was some kind of serialization issue.

20. PrefabEvolution

PrefabEvolution

I wrote about it earlier. This feature is not trivial. Ask your self "What should happen when i click apply? Whats happen with another instances of this prefab?". If you are familiar with programming you know that changing derived classes will not affect base classes.
    For example if you have a "button with label" prefab and create its instances in many dialogs. In one dialog you change the color of this button to red. Bit later you are would like to change a font on all buttons and open dialog with red button, change a font and click apply... So all buttons are become red, and this is bad...
    I think this feature is useful but dangerous, its have very large error prone.

21. florianPRN

florianPRN

Hello,
    I try to have nested prefab from a fbx but it doesn't work. I will try to explain.
    • I have toto.fbx (only geometry, no animation or rig)
    • I create a nested prefab TotoContainer (Empty GameObject) with toto.fbx (prefab) as child.
    • I add scripts into TotoContainer in the toto.fbx parts.
    • My artist change the geometry in toto.fbx but when I change the fbx all my modifications in TotoConainer are lost... I don't want to loose all my modifications.
    I try an another way, I keep my modifications but the geometry doesn't take the new meshes...

I don't know what to do...

22. CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

@PrefabEvolution, we just bought your plugin and have some workflow questions because PDF documentation is very short.

We use NGUI for our UI and for ex. we have:

ScreenPrefab_Instanece
    --- BlockPrefab_Instanece1
    ------- BluttonBasicPrefab_Instance1
    ------- BluttonBasicPrefab_Instance2
    ------- BluttonBasicPrefab_Instance3
    --- BlockPrefab_Instanece2

------- BluttonBasicPrefab_Instance1
    ------- BluttonBasicPrefab_Instance2
    ------- BluttonBasicPrefab_Instance3

Here is contents of button prefab 9including scripts and their params):

BluttonBasicPrefab
    ---- SpriteBack
    ==== UISprite
    ==== Color
    ---- SpriteDecor
    ---- Label
    ====Localization.cs
    ======String ID

The most commonly used prefab is Button but every time we create new instance on scene via drag&drop we have to manually set Localization params to "Keep" override method etc.

Question: How can we "preset" which properties can be overriden and which can not for the prefab itsef, not for each prefab instance.

23. Mazak

Mazak

Hi,
    I just purchased the asset, Its learning time!

We will be using this in the www.megawars.net project.

24. alex1560

alex1560

Hi,

I have sent a private message regarding a bug we are facing trying to use prefab evo, some prefabs looses their offsets.

Thank you!

25. castor76

castor76

Scanning for prefab dependency is really becoming a pain... I have to wait at least 1 mins before it gets completed... Also memory usage goes sky rocket...and sometimes it crashes Unity.

Is there anyway to improve this? I think I have the latest version of PE from asset store.

26. castor76

castor76

Gone fishing? Support is very slow here.

27. castor76

castor76

Also , after scanning prefab dependency, Unity editor's memory usage skyrockets.. causing it to consume almost more than 1gb of memory.. And after that, any code update (rebuild) causes the game to sometimes crash because it runs out of memory. (Starting game in Unity before becomes around 1.6gb, upon starting it goes +- 3.2 gb and then down to 1.6gb (if not crashed) )

28. alizdesk

alizdesk

Hi there, are you actively supporting your product?
    I just want to be sure before i purchase it. Thanks

29. Fronne

Fronne

Also a GREAT TOOL for UNDO / REDO over TIME...

You can use this Asset for Undoing / Redoing modifications made to just about everything and anywhere over Time. When you create a Child and make some modifications, ALL modifications are saved and accessible in the Inspector over Time...

In effect you can Undo a modification several months (or longer) after creating the (Child) Prefab. This feature only is worth every Penny and more. In the past I changed something and a few days later I didn't like the changes I made but couldn't remember the "Original Settings" and lost a lot of Time creating something similar...

And then of course you can use this Asset to modify many (Child) Prefabs at the same Time, when you decide to use a different layout, color or font in your UI, modify it and press Apply...

My verdict: One of the biggest TimeSavers available on the Asset Store, Prefab Evolution is an indispensable Asset...

5 STARS, GET IT...

Franco Palmieri, Yvonne Slagveld - Fronne

30. baby_jeans

baby_jeans

Any ETA on updating for 5.3?

31. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

How often does it do the slow rescan of the dependency list? At first I thought it was related to the type of prefab but now I'm thinking it just rescans every time I open Unity? If so, then what is the cache file for?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  32. bboydaisuke

bboydaisuke

I have a problem.
    When I create prefabs after I imported Prefab Evolution asset, it works as expected. However, when I imported Prefab Evolution into existing projects, it won't work for existing prefabs before Prefab Evolution import.
    Does Prefab Evolution have features like scan existing prefabs in the project. Or do you have solution for my problem?

33. bboydaisuke

bboydaisuke

I decided to to solve by
    a) Reimport All in project Window then Revert prefabs in scenes.
    b) Transfer prefabs and assets to another project.

thanks,
    bboydaisuke

34. fdsagizi2

fdsagizi2

When we create child from prefab, and apply to parent - all work fine, if we in scene, if we move child in to .prefab and apply changes in to parent - this have ho effects.

It's unsuport? or bug?

35. Xtro

Xtro

Hi. Is this awesome asset still supported?

Are we gonna get an update soon? I'm getting some warnings about DontDestroy on Unity 5.3.

Tinjaw and Mazak like this.
  36. KaiSD

KaiSD

Hello!

There is a team of 12 people. Some want to use this plugin, but not everyone actually needs it.
    Does the plugin architecture requires the whole team to buy and use it?

37. CremaGames

CremaGames

We're having the same problems in our project. It's getting really really painful to work with Prefab Evolution. Everytime we hit play, load a scene or even change a simple script the Editor freezes for about a minute or more. I'm tired of seeing the "Cheking prefab dependences" and "Hold on" popups.

It would be great to fix these things, maybe make it only on demand and not on every OnValidate and such.

38. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

I fixed this in my project by putting all of my PrefabEvolution prefabs into a folder (with subfolders) and then changing line 126 of the file PECache.cs to:

Code (csharp):
    1. CheckPrefab(AssetDatabase.GetAllAssetPaths().Where(p => p.StartsWith("Assets/Prefabs")).ToArray());
    As you can guess, all of my relevant prefabs are in Assets/Prefabs. This makes it only scan that folder and subfolders which is much faster. Of course this will only work if you can organize all your PrefabEvolution prefabs and not have them scattered all over the project folders. In my case there are a pretty small number of PE prefabs, but a ton of random other prefabs from Asset Store assets and imported models that will never need to be scanned.

39. Xtro

Xtro

It's so sad that we can't reach out to this guy anymore. I emailed him at prefabevolution@gmail.com too but no response. :(

Tinjaw likes this.
  40. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

FWIW I'm using it with Unity 5.3 and haven't had any issues; warnings can probably be ignored. Unity's deprecating a lot of functions but they probably won't actually remove any of the current deprecated until at least Unity 6.

41. Xtro

Xtro

He replied me days ago and also he released a new version on Asset Store today :) YAY!

42. BAIZOR

BAIZOR

Thanks for plugin! This is awesome!

But I have one issue, I can't add parent to existed prefab, which is "Nested"(Prefab Evolution term, it isn't really nested in some another prefab) prefab.

Here is hierarchy of my prefab:

RootPrefabObject
    - Object

I just want create similar parent, then override some field in child's "Object" game object.

Tried to go to debug mode in inspector and put another "Nested" prefab ID like a parent... It basically works. But, when I did it, I had removed "Object" and added new "Object" in child prefab in the component - EvolvePrefab the whole "Object" game object

Something like that:
    RootPrefabObjectParent
    - Object

RootPrefabObject_Child
    - Object (removed)
    - Object (added)

upload_2016-2-10_13-49-25.png

So, if I try to make some changes in parent's "Object" it will never seen in his children.

How can I solve it? Thanks!

43. Xtro

Xtro

Are you gonna fix the "timeCreated" issue soon?
    PE is constantly updating timeCreated field on meta files which causes version control problems.

netics likes this.
  44. Xtro

Xtro

He's not responding again :( :(

45. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

Try pinging him by using @PrefabEvolution in your post.

46. Xtro

Xtro

He's not responding to my emails too :(

47. realworld666

realworld666

upload_2016-3-15_10-0-17.png
    Getting this error when hitting apply on a prefab in our scene. This is a fairly fatal problem for us as it crashes Unity. Is there a fix for it?

48. netics

netics

I am painful because of this problem, too.
    Please could you fix this?

49. netics

netics

It seems that the developer abandoned this product.
    So I fixed the "timeCreated" problem of prefab.meta files by myself.
    This also affected saving time problem. It is shortened.

If people of this forum praise me, I will open the code. (It's really short)
    (=If there is people that still use this product)
    LOL

CrazyPanda likes this.
  50. SoulGameStudio

SoulGameStudio

Hey @netics I do care about that piece of code so... All praise netics \o/

Also, would you say that it is still worthy to work with this plugin given that it doesn't seem to be updated anymore? I'm on a substantially big project and I need to be able to rely on this :/