Search Unity

Post your Workstations here!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zDemonhunter99, Jun 15, 2014.

1. peterdeghaim

peterdeghaim

um so i have a laptop and a cheap ass monitor...
    and a messy ass desk
    i dont think i will be posting pictures ahaha

Ony and Dustin-Horne like this.
  2. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

Welcome to my world. :D

Dustin-Horne and peterdeghaim like this.
  3. tectuma

tectuma

Below is our setup, it is also what we are using to broad cast on http://www.twitch.tv/tectuma just about every night 7:30pm EST wile we work on Tectuma... (shameless plug)

This is the computer I am using... it is an old pic:

This is our dev server:

We have 3 stacks of servers like this (one stack is just dell servers) ready for production when needed:

zDemonhunter99 likes this.
  4. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

I thought my Mac Pro was a little too powerful, but I'd rather not spend 10-20k.

Deleted User and calmcarrots like this.
  5. tectuma

tectuma

The reason we are going over board is because we are making a MMORPG... We are also keeping the game live while we work on it.... :D

6. chrisso

chrisso

<3!

Some comments:
    I envy your command center.
    Some curious stuff going on on those screens.
    I giggled when I saw the monitors hung on the wall.

One question:
    How practical is this setup, especially the screens up high?

7. tectuma

tectuma

Well on a normal night this is the lay out... My better 1/2 is on the left two screens (Thanks to Input director I can drag my mouse to her screen and help when she needs it)... The top two screens (the ones that are hanging on the wall) or just showing info on our main game server (CPU, Memory etc)... the top right screen has xsplit (our TwichTV broadcasting software), the middle right is what I call my dead screen, things like IRC Chat, and other data that I do not want going out to TwichTV. The bottom right is a strange one, it pulls out level with the arm of my chair makes coding, reading webpages simple. Then the main screen. See I use them all... all most forgot...

8. inafield

inafield

My wife designed this desk using ideas from Ikea-hacker. All that is missing below is a 24" PS3 3DTV that I sometimes add in as a secondary or a third, depending on whether I'm using the Asus G75VX laptop or the custom built pitch black computer at the bottom right. When I get enough money, my she wants me to get three 24" thin Asus monitors and wall mount them. She's seen what I'm like and what I can get done with three monitors, and she's awesome like that. Also not pictured is a Surface RT.

The monitor on the right is a Gateway 20.5" from 2001 that has everything but the kitchen sink on it. Cost a pretty penny back at that time when I was in university. The brightness has been decreasing over the years, but it still works. I also can't bear to get rid of my StARCK mouse... it fits oh-so-nice. I need a real mousepad though.

As large and potentially loud/clear as my speakers are in a 600sqft condo, I can't bear to give/sell my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's. You can't buy these anywhere and the sound is incredible.

Asus G75VX: i7-3630QM, 12GB ram, 240GB SSD, 750GB SSHD

New upgrade a few months ago after my old custom build was dying...

BLACKBOX: case is Antec ISK-600 (silent), Asus Z87I-DX, i7-4770S, 16GB ram, Asus GeForce 660 GTX OC DC2, 240GB SSD, 2TB SSHD, 2TB HD, 4x1TB RAID10 backup (silver box).

Anyone that wants an SSD for a decent price, watch NCIX.com... they hold an SSD sale every once and awhile on Samsung 840's (and a few others) and I got these for a steal. Haven't seen anyone come close, not even Newegg or TigerDirect.

goat, dogzerx2 and zDemonhunter99 like this.
  9. Nikola-B

Nikola-B

10. derkoi

derkoi

Here's my set up, nothing too overkill. Just bought the 28" 4k monitor to replace 2 x 22" 1080p monitors..

Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz 41 °C
    Haswell 22nm Technology
    RAM
    32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 933MHz (9-10-9-27)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z87-K (SOCKET 1150) 28 °C
    Graphics
    ASUS PB287 (3840x2160@60Hz)
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (Gigabyte) 36 °C
    Storage
    465GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB (SSD) 35 °C
    232GB Maxtor STM3250318AS (SATA) 35 °C
    189GB Maxtor 6 L200S0 USB Device (SSD) 35 °C
    149GB SAMSUNG HD160JJ/P USB Device (SSD) 35 °C
    931GB Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 USB Device (SSD) 35 °C
    1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20 EARX-32PASB0 USB Device (SSD) 35 °C

11. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

Serious question, is 28" big enough for 4K? Or do you have to increase font/icon sizes? Looking at your pic everything looks too small for me.

NomadKing likes this.
  12. ManAmazin

ManAmazin

Here is mines! just built new rig few months ago only thing missing is gtx 770 and bigger monitors but other than that im satisfied for a few years lol

13. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

New stuff just came in for the office. I went ahead and made a 3 monitor set-up.

dogzerx2 and zDemonhunter99 like this.
  14. derkoi

derkoi

This is something that's hotly debated. I can't run at 100% size for the scale level. I use 150% which gives me a balance of screen real estate and allows me to see the fonts & elements. The scale level can go up to 250% but for me that's not needed.

It does take some getting used to but in my opinion it's better than multiple monitors as using them used to ache my neck. Plus games look FANTASTIC at full res. :D

inafield likes this.
  15. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

All this will cost about $20 in year 2030. Just let that sink in for a bit.....

zDemonhunter99 likes this.
  16. Deleted User

Deleted User

nothing special by me. And a bit of papper work ^^

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014
  17. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Lucky it's not 2030 then isn't it ;)

calmcarrots likes this.
  18. HarvesteR

HarvesteR

Here's mine:

Cheers

19. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

Are you sure your PC has the awesomeness to contain Kerbal Space Program in it? If not, it may explode to pieces. :p

20. HolBol

HolBol

So I moved. That means new desk! Woo.

goat and zDemonhunter99 like this.
  21. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

Wow, is that paradise I see outside your window? :eek:

22. HolBol

HolBol

Nah, just a rainy november day.

23. HarvesteR

HarvesteR

It's not exacly new anymore (last big upgrade was over a year ago), but it's still pretty good all around. :)

Inside is a Core i7 3820 @ 3.6ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce GTX 690 and a Samsung 840 Pro SSD. The screens are hooked in through a Matrox TripleHead2Go.

My favorite piece of hardware right now is that keyboard though. G19s ftw!

Cheers

24. Stactic

Stactic

Here is my workstation: workstation.jpg

iMac: 27", 3.5 Ghz i7-4771, GTX 780M 4GB, 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ, 1TB Fusion Drive
    Mouse: Steelseries Wireless Sensei
    Keyboard: Ducky Shine3
    Headphones: Sennheiser RS180
    External Display: 27"/1440p Dell U2711.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
    BonBonStudio likes this.
  25. Raitoning

Raitoning

Hi everybody,
    This is our (my, talking at the third person making it more professionnal LOL) "setup" at Namaeless Studio:
    setup.jpg

Sorry for the ultra low quality, I shot the photo with my not-smartphone because my camera doesn't work anymore :'( (broken screen). 17" flat screen 1280x1024@75Hz as primary and 15" 1920x1080@60Hz CRT 30 yo screen (yeah it's not a troll LOL) as secondary. The PC is behind screens. The two cables on the desk are one USB for my MIDI synth (you can barely see it inside his case next to the mouse) and the other, a VGA cable for my laptop when I want dual screen. Woofers: 2x 80W (the black, big ones) and 2x 15W (smaller, gray ones, there is one behind Erza-sama's drawing :3). The super mouse pad is hand-made, I used foil paper for reflectivity and transparent cover paper for smoothness hehe. Oh yeah, btw, in reality, it's my bedroom (and sorry for my horrible English, I'm French :D)

Link to my layout: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/post-your-unity-layouts-here.120686/page-2#post-2044424

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    goat likes this.
  26. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Wow! Many of you are so prim & proper er... neat & tidy. Looks like an office workspace. I do all of my development on a laptop that is setting on a lap table on my lap while I am sitting on the couch often with my feet on a foot stool. Both my job dev and my personal projects. Although I switch locations and laptops of course.

Kiwasi, Ony and dogzerx2 like this.
  27. maximilianwessling

maximilianwessling

Hey, This is my workststion I have built up over months (I am still a Student and i have a lot of used equipment:
    100_5821.JPG
    It consists of following:

Hardware:

- My Laptop is an Asus F550L from 2014 with an Intel Core i5 - 4200U with 1.6 GHz, and an Nvidia Geforce GT740M. It has 8 GB of Memory, and a 500 GB HDD.
    - My second monitor is the MAG Technology 500P 4:3 Monitor from 2004 with a Resolution of 1024 * 768.
    - My Speakers are the Gateway Diamond Audio EMC 2.0 Computer Speakers.
    - My mouse is the Logitech G300 from 2015.
    - I use a mousepad from Speedlink from 2014.
    - My headset is a Steelseries Siberia V2 from 2015.
    - Because all my games are designed from the ground up with a gamepad in mind, I have a Microsoft Xbox 360 gamepad from 2013.

Software:

- Unity 5.1.1f.
    - Gimp 2.8.
    - Visual Studio 2013.
    - Microsoft Office 365 with the Office 2013 Suite.
    - Audacity.
    - 7-Zip File Manager.
    - Windows 8.1 x64.

28. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Very cool stuff everyone!

Nothing overly special here, but it's a decent rig:
    AMD FX-8350 4 GHz
    16 GB ram
    GeForce GTX 760
    1TB SSD Disk
    Cintiq 13 HD

maximilianwessling likes this.
  29. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

Am I the only one here who finds it majorly annoying to use multiple monitors because I have to turn the head all the time?
    I much rather use OSX's spaces. On a 15 inch display. True story.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    dogzerx2 likes this.
  30. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@Shushustorm since my PC died I use this:

And I love spaces too.

That said I am looking to buy a new PC, so maybe I can post some mega set-up in a few weeks and not feel so lame :s

31. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

@JohnnyA That's nice! It completely depends on the way you work, though. Maybe you feel the need to have maximum screen size accessible, then you might want to get some extra displays. Personally, I am more productive when I stay focused on one actual object and arrange stuff virtually.
    For me, I would only need a bigger screen if actually working on console titles for PS4/WiiU/Xbox One, because in that case the consumer is probably going to have a much bigger screen than you. So while developing for those consoles, you may sometimes want to take a look at how it is going to be presented on a massive TV-sized screen.

32. goat

goat

Here was mine, 4 year old ASUS EP121 @ $1200 sans PCIe SSD, PCIe WiFi, & 4 GB RAM . As you can seen the lithium ion batteries exploded. That happened in June. It busted up the screen but that seems to be make of a plasticine type of glass so it cracked in a few places not shattered.

I am using a HP 8460p i5-2520 that I got for $130 on eBay as a compromise between price and actual current usability. It's actually a very nice machine but I need to buy a 500 GB SSD to replace the old 320GB 5400 RPM Seagate USB backup Sata HD that stripped out of the casing. Modern computers truly have relegated magnetic HDs to the status of reel tapes for backup. I may not spend another dime on it though as I'm hope Mac Minis with Skylake CPUs will be available this fall.

Excuse the mess, I am renovating an old house in an extremely humid location (see the 2 month old rusted $5 paint scraper? I guess rust-proofing was why the other paint scrapers had outrageous prices.)

Ciao

Attached Files:

33. Pomettini

Pomettini

It's not a very good picture, but here's my rig:

Retina Macbook Pro 15" mid 2012 with 16 GB of ram + Thunderbolt Display 27" + several devices to test stuff

dogzerx2 likes this.
  34. HarvesteR

HarvesteR

My battlestation was updated recently:

The three old 19" screens gave way to 3 (identical this time) 24" 16:9 Dells, which prompted an upgrade to the TH2Go as well (I had the old VGA edition, which maxed out at 3840x1024). The new TH2Go Digital allows setting the resolution as high as 5760x1080, which is required to run these screens at their native 1080p resolutions.

The old screens had been part of my rig since 2008. It's not always that a piece of hardware lives that long, especially ones that have been through four moves to new homes, two of those in other countries, meaning they had to be shipped or checked in as cargo. Hats off to whoever was in charge of the LG 1952h manufacturing, those things were built like tanks.

The reason I had to upgrade was that my sticking with the old and almost completely obsolete 5:4 screen format meant that my 3840x1024 screen resolution was becoming less and less supported, meaning I was now running a non-standard resolution that wasn't targeted even by games that did offer full surround support. But really, after 7 years, it was time to retire the 1952h LCDs.

My GPU was actually quite ok with the extra pixels to push. The GTX690, being a dual-core SLI GPU, is very good at pushing massive amounts of pixels. That's good, because the GPU was half the total cost of the whole rig, so it should ideally have another few good years of use left in it.

Cheers

dogzerx2 and Pomettini like this.
  35. tectuma

tectuma

Well it seems have we redid our website I broke all our pics... LOL That is OK we moved our setup into a new office any way. (That is my better 1/2 in the pic she would kill me if she knew I posted this).

This is what most people do not see on our twitch TV stream http://www.twitch.tv/tectuma (Be hind the camera so to speak).

Ostwind and dogzerx2 like this.
  36. Ony

Ony

Here's where I stand all day. I like a little industrial in my life. Forgive the potato quality picture.

37. Raitoning

Raitoning

Every develloper need a girl somewhere in his studio. ( Or a dakimakura if you're an otaku :p)

38. Ony

Ony

Should I go buy an extra one?

Joking aside... seriously?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  39. Raitoning

Raitoning

Nah I'm joking because he is the only one who posted a picture with a girl on it, I had to do a joke about it.
    (Maybe I did not understand if that was another joke or anything, I'm French and I'm not that good at English sorry)

40. Ony

Ony

Whether you're French or not, maybe don't joke about girls being props and you'll be on the right track.

AlanMattano likes this.
  41. Raitoning

Raitoning

Opps Okay I got it, it a commom joke about girls here in France, I'm sorry if that harmed anyone, that wasn't intented.

42. Ony

Ony

Jokes like that are pretty common everywhere in the world. Hilarious to (some) guys, not so funny to girls. Probably a good idea to, you know, stop.

Anyway... enough of that. On with the battle stations.

43. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

There is a laptop under there somewhere.

image.jpg

That said I have coded in some beautiful places before. Up mountains, on beaches, in forests, and so forth. When I was working on my procedural terrain engine I used to pull over to the side of the road whenever I saw an interesting tree or terrain feature and try and figure out how to build it. When I can swing it I like to work not at my workstation. And I have a well paying job that lets me take a productivity hit on code.

In terms of actually getting work done, the most productive place I found was The Arcade in Melbourne. Two floors of open office building filled with indie game devs.

frosted, Martin_H, Not_Sure and 3 others like this.
  44. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

On the road too much for a stationary to make sense. I do prefer working at my own desk though.

Great lighting and green view during the day. Fixed the blinds since the photo.

goat, Ony and dogzerx2 like this.
  45. Archania

Archania

Wait.. I can buy a girl to hang out in my house? Damn all this time I've been alone.... (Joking!!!)
    Got around to taking mine:

46. orb

orb

I also believe in a nice, organised desk (well, living-room table):

Not pictured: Laptop, gaming beast (PC), Logitech k811 keyboard, numerous little portable devices (recorders, Android and iOS devices, other noise-making gadgets), piles of books, extra keyboards, Push, pile of empty bottles, boxes of cards, boxes of cables, boxes of software, boxes of boxes etc.

hippocoder and PROTOFACTOR_Inc like this.
  47. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I married one. She still hangs around. In the most cynical sense you could consider that a financial transaction.

I suggest you don't though. Telling girls you can buy them is not a good way to get them to hang around.

frosted likes this.
  48. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

I was waiting for that one. Lol

49. ippdev

ippdev

I was in Vegas recently. I tried to find the airport shuttle stop and walked the same section of the strip three times. Two girls that saw me walk back and forth thought I was willing to pay them to hang around. They came up and asked me so..

50. orb

orb

Had to have something to hold my unused Ikea boxes. So I went to Ikea and got a few more boxes!

PROTOFACTOR_Inc likes this.