Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

PopcornFX - Optimized Particle Effects Plugin

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by PopcornFX, Feb 13, 2015.

1. PopcornFX

PopcornFX

PopcornFX is a tool designed to create optimized realtime 3d particle effects for games.

Field of Application :

PopcornFX is a 3D realtime FX Solution for Games & Interactive applications.

PopcornFX is for studios, 3D FX artists and technical artists who are looking for a powerful and complete tool exclusively dedicated to the creation of realtime effects.

The PopcornFX editor is currently Windows-only.

Unity’s version particularities :

The PopcornFX Unity Plugin is an integration of the PopcornFX runtime libraries into Unity using the native plugin interface.

The Free Discovery Pack
    We also have a free discovery pack available to get you started.
    This pack is a good way to discover PopcornFX for free. It includes :
    20 configurable effects ready for use
    A free version of the plugin which plays effects from this pack

We now support Unity5 (no Pro license required).
    The plugin still requires Unity Pro for Unity 4.X.

Unity plugin Supported platforms :
    • Win (D3D9, D3D11, OpenGL both x86 and x64)
    • Mac OSX (OpenGL, both x86 and x64)
    • Linux (Beta)
    • Android (only with NEON support)
    • iOS (arm64 now supported)

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/3D.PopcornFX
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/popcornfx
    Trello (Roadmap): https://trello.com/b/Z1q9xz72/popcornfx-roadmap
    Online Documentation : http://wiki.popcornfx.com/index.php/Unity (the basic howto is translated in Japanese, Korean and Simplified Chinese
    Editor download : http://www.popcornfx.com/download/
    Performance comparison application :

Feedback and Support
    AnswerHub (Community support) : http://answers.popcornfx.com/
    For specific questions and/or support about the plugin: support@popcornfx.com
    For general contact and inquiries : contact@popcornfx.com

Asset store items :

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    nxrighthere, Alverik, Farelle and 4 others like this.
  2. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I will keep an eye on this asset... and I will eventually figure out a way to do realistic blood

3. zenGarden

zenGarden

Do you have webplayer demos running multiple effects at same time ? Performance is something i consider before buying any new product.

4. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

Hi zenGarden, PopcornFX dev, here.
    Unfortunately since this is a native plugin, we can't have a webplayer demo (native plugins are not available in the web player for security reasons).
    Although, we do have a demo available on the download page of our website.

Regards,

5. PopcornFX

PopcornFX

Yes on Windows you can easily test by yourself with the watermarked version. You can also see popcorn in action into the released game Mechs & Mercs: Black Talons (available on Steam!): http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/mechs-mercs-is-out-on-steam.290160/#post-1915116

In the upcoming days, we will also release a mobile app on Android PlayStore & iOS AppStore, featuring benchmarks (Shuriken vs. PopcornFX)... teasing:
    Screenshot_2015-02-13-13-05-48.png Screenshot_2015-02-13-13-07-08.png

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  6. thoorne

thoorne

I'm really interested in asset however lack of OS X editor makes this tool unusable for me. Glad to see that it's on roadmap, can't wait.

7. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

It is indeed on the roadmap.
    Also, we'll have a booth at GDC, come say hi if you can. We may have something cool to show you there.
    Otherwise, just stay tuned, we'll make an anouncement at some point after GDC.

8. imtrobin

imtrobin

I see you have some fx packs sold on Assetstore but there's no demo of them.,

9. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Is this Unity5 compatible?
    Thanks!

10. PopcornFX

PopcornFX

@imtrobin we'll upload some videos soon and we'll try to find a smart way to provide interactive demos

@HeadTrip Yes it does support unity5... but not yet officially since it's in beta. Thus we provide Unity5 plugin upon request.

11. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Looking good :) Bookmarked :) A quick question : can those effects share the same material to keep the draw-call down ?

12. PopcornFX

PopcornFX

@thienhaflash thanks :)
    Yes you'll efficiently save drawcalls by using the same material. You can have many instances and emitters rendered in a single drawcall!

We are about to release the mobile app showcasing simple performance comparisons between PopcornFX and Shuriken. It will be available for Android on the PlayStore within days and for iOS on the AppStore before the GDC (early March)!

Meanwhile, you can find more information about the high level concepts of PopcornFX on our wiki: http://wiki.popcornfx.com/index.php/Particle_system_overview

13. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

ArtyBoomshaka and PopcornFX like this.
  14. PopcornFX

PopcornFX

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  15. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Hello,
    I notice when I go to import popcornFX, its all in a folder "PluginPackage", is this correct?
    I tried installing as is and it wouldn't find the plugin. I moved all the contents into the appropriate folders and things seem to be working well although I get the fx in editor, but cannot export. They don't show. I using UnityPro 4.6.1p5
    thanks!

Edit: I've also tried making a new project and opening the samples, works in the editor, but doesnt show in exported game. No errors...
    I have also tried exporting from the watermarked version, just to see if there was a difference. I got the same result, no fx.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  16. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

Hi HeadTrip,

When importing the package from the Asset Store, the content of the PluginPackage directory should indeed be moved at the root of the Assets directory.

That being said, I can't seem to reproduce your issue, it might be a missing dependency preventing the plugin to load, thus... no effects. May I ask which platform you're running the editor on and which platform you're building the standalone for?

Meanwhile, you can find more info on how to handle dependencies here : http://wiki.popcornfx.com/index.php/Unity#DllNotFoundException.2FEntryPointNotFoundException

PopcornFX likes this.
  17. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Thanks, im running on win7, exporting for PC. Unity4.6 pro

18. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

32 or 64 bits (for both your system and the build target)?
    Can you try and follow the instructions in the link I gave you? You probably have to install the packages linked from there.

Thanks,

19. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

64bit, yes i will try that soon!
    Thanks

20. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

No luck, I have the plugins, I have a newer version of visual studio, I copied the d3d dll.
    Trying the setup again...

21. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

Ok, since you said it's working in the editor which is 32bit, the problem must be a missing 64bit dependency.

Please make sure you copy D3Dcompiler_47-x64.dll from <Unity install dir>/Data/Tools to your 64bits standalone build's root (next to the .exe file) and rename it D3Dcompiler_47.dll.
    Please also make sure the visual studio redistributable package you have for 32bits is also installed in its 64bits version.

Ultimately, could you email us on support[AT]popcornfx[DOT]com with the log file from your build's <name>_Data forlder's : output_log.txt ?

Cheers,

22. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

I got it working, In the build window it was set to architectuire x86, switched it to x86_64 and it works,
    64bit only? It seems to be both having the build set to x86_64 plus a copy of D3Dcompiler_47.dll next to the exe that fixed it.

23. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

Well, good to know you got it working.

No, it should work fine for both x86 and x64. Unity's build system should copy the right dll from the Plugins directory to the standalone build, the only thing required then is having the proper dependencies for your build target and copying the right D3DCompiler_47.dll. I gave you the specific instructions for a 64bits build because you told me you were building for 64bits.

We're working on a way of making the deployment process less confusing, though. :)

24. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

I'm seeing some issues with a few fx.
    (Edit) - i was having issues with the fx not staying with tracking, seems to be performance related. Don't see the issue in optimized areas. Seems to be related to "jutter"
    - Both FX have a subtle issue with 3D separation, they are slightly off causing broken particles
    - The Fish fx group randomly shows white lines, I assume the flocks probes or paths within the group.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  25. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

Hi HeadTrip,
    Unfortunately we can't investigate this right now since we're busy at GDC but we'll look into this as soon as we return.

We'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

26. blejd

blejd

Hi, I would like to know how to scale particle effects. I tried to scale GameObject that this effect is attached and to change Scale Factor in project settings (with baking afterwards) to but none of them work.

Thanks for any information about that issue :D

27. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Any unity console support at competitive price point of desktop ? (considering that indies now frequent the platforms?)

28. darkhog

darkhog

Please update OP. As of Unity 5 this no longer need Pro ;). Thank you.

29. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

Heyo!
    We're happy to announce a Unity 5 version of the desktop plugin is now available on the store (no need for a Pro license anymore)!

@blejd : While particle effects' scaling is a non-trivial issue, you can easily add a scaleFactor attribute to the effects you want to scale and use that attribute to affect the particles' sizes and velocities through script, and emission rate via the spawners' FluxFactorExpression.
    For more info about attributes, please see here.

@hippocoder : We are working on that, although we seem to face limitations with the availability of the native plugin interface on these platforms.

@darkhog : Will do, thanks! :)

hippocoder likes this.
  30. ThunderTruck

ThunderTruck

Don't works for me...
    I have just buy the plugin for Unity desktop…
    I have Unity 5f4 for Windows x64 in Windows 7
    In a clean project, after to have installed the package and play any sample scene I got this error:

Failed to load 'Assets/Plugins/x86_64/HH-UnityPlugin.dll' with error 'The specified module could not be found.
    ', GetDllDirectory returned ''. If GetDllDirectory returned non empty path, check that you're using SetDirectoryDll correctly.
    PKFxManager:Startup()
    PKFxPackDependent:BaseInitialize()
    <Start>d__0:MoveNext()

What can I do?

31. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

32. ThunderTruck

ThunderTruck

I usually read the documentation before to write...

Anyway...
    - Clean new project...
    - Clear cache
    - Visual C++ 2010 Ok
    - Directx Ok
    - copied D3Dcompiler_47-x64.dll from unity to root project and renamed
    - yours dlls "HH-UnityPlugin.dll" are in the right place

the error is:

Failed to load 'Assets/Plugins/x86_64/HH-UnityPlugin.dll' with error 'The specified module could not be found.
    ', GetDllDirectory returned ''. If GetDllDirectory returned non empty path, check that you're using SetDirectoryDll correctly.
    PKFxRenderingPluginEditor:OnInspectorGUI()
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Unity 5 F4 x64 windows 7 x64

33. PopcornFX

PopcornFX

@ThunderTruck, we'll look into it asap.

Thanks for the report!

ThunderTruck likes this.
  34. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

So, to address this recurring dependency issue we changed the way we handle them in a new version.

We subsequently updated the free watermarked plugin available on our website here, so anyone is free to try it out before purchasing (and free to give us feedback too, obviously :) ).

35. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Ive updated to the latest, seeing some major issues.
    - It is broken in the Oculus Rift. The FX are flipped vertically and move with the head rotation. It didn't do that in Unity4.6, although there was an offset issue where fx would move slightly with head movements.

Thank you!

36. mittense

mittense

Is there anything to the particle simulation that is unique/particularly novel? Or is it largely in the tools used to build the various systems?

(Still trying to hunt down a lit particle solution).

37. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

@HeadTrip : We still haven't had the chance to look into the Occulus compatibility issues, yet. Although this may be relevant to your axis flipping problem : http://wiki.popcornfx.com/index.php/Unity#The_Y_Axis_Is_Flipped

@mittense : Well, I guess it depends on what you compare us to. :)
    We have many features that can't be found in the built-in particles (turbulence, shape, audio sampling, ribbon and mesh renderers, to name a few). Also a big difference is that you design your particle effects via a shader-like scripting language : http://wiki.popcornfx.com/index.php/Scripting_reference which is really powerful.
    If you want to make your own idea though, you can download the editor for free on our website http://www.popcornfx.com/download/
    On this download page you'll also find a free watermarked version of the plugin and App/Play store links to our benchmark mobile apps, comparing performances between PopcornFX and Unity's Shuriken particles.

mittense likes this.
  38. mittense

mittense

Any plans for a Mac editor?

39. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

40. blejd

blejd

Do you have any ideas why I don't hear sound effects? I baked SimpleExplosion effect from one of packages and in particle editor everything works fine, but in Unity there is a silence :D (of course WAV file is in StreamingAssets/PackFx/Sounds folder).

41. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

@blejd : The sound layers implementation was an experimental feature that was not actually implemented in the public plugin.
    I corrected our feature list, where it was validated by mistake and added a card for the feature to our Trello.

42. blejd

blejd

That's no good to be honest. In that case you plugin is kinda weak at this point for $250.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  43. chrismarch

chrismarch

Is the CHANGELOG from the README file available on the web? That would be helpful. The README file CHANGELOG I have installed goes up to 2.3, and I'd like to see what 2.3.1 offers. Thanks.

44. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

@chrismarch : You can get the current version's changelog by clicking on the version number in the Asset Store but basically the difference between 2.3 and 2.3.1 is Unity5 support.

chrismarch likes this.
  45. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Tried the latest version, still exists. It's flipped and sticks to the camera so it moves with my head in VR.
    I notice the "Has post fx" option, it turns off my effects.

this is Dx11, Unity 5.0.0f

46. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

@HeadTrip : Thank you for the additional details, that definitely shouldn't happen. We are looking into it and we'll fix it as soon as possible.

47. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

looks like I figured it out, It was a custom post effect that didn't allow the "has post fx" option to work. Once I removed it the "has post fx" option fixed it, I'm using multiple post fx.

48. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

Glad to hear it!
    Yeah, some post effects may cause issues, I added a mention of that in the troubleshooting section of our online doc.
    If you can identify what's causing the issue in your custom post-effect, feel free to drop us a line so we can look into it.

49. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

Hey everyone!

The 2.4 update of the PopcornFX plugin went live on the asset store!

What's new?
    - Synchronized with PopcornFX Editor v1.8.
    That means you WILL need to update your PopcornFX editor to v1.8 and upgrade your earlier FX packs.
    The plugin update shouldn't break any preexisting component.
    We also added a bit in the doc about managing PopcornFX versions and compatibility.

- The iOS plugin now supports the App Store-mandatory arm64 architecture.
    - Fixed a bug where PopcornFX components would interfere with other plugins' components.
    This is also why the plugin now requires Unity 4.5 or higher, we removed our implementation of the Tooltip Attribute in favour of the Unity built-in.

- Effects hot-reload in Windows and MacOSX editor mode.
    This is this version's big feature. You don't need to reopen your project every time you make a modification to one of your effects anymore, it automatically reloads. We will have a video up shortly, showcasing the subsequent workflow improvements.

- Int/Int2/3/4 attributes support.

- Float attributes now support min/max values.
    This comes with a set of new editor extensions, the attributes in the inspector are now clamped to their min and/or max values and if an attribute has both, it becomes editable with a slider.

In the upcoming days, we'll upgrade our effect packs on the asset store to match the new 1.8 requirement (in the mean time, you can upgrade them yourself with the 1.8 editor if need be), update with a video showcasing the plugin's workflow and update the online documentation to match the latest version.

Cheers,

50. mittense

mittense

this thing is the goddamn best. totally worth the dollar moneys.

ArtyBoomshaka likes this.