Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

VR Poor performance in Direct Mode vs. Extended Mode

Discussion in '5.1 Beta' started by JonDadley, May 18, 2015.

1. JonDadley

JonDadley

I've noticed that in direct mode I get a lot of 'judder' and hitches in my scene. However if I switch the Oculus display mode to 'extended' and run the app from the second second screen (the Rift view) the same scene is perfectly smooth throughout.

Is this an innate issue with Direct vs Extended mode or a bug in the Unity implementation?

2. JonDadley

JonDadley

I've discovered that in one scene I get perfectly smooth performance in the editor VR view (which should run slower!) but when I try to run the build in direct mode it is incredibly juddery and uncomfortable. That scene is running at 1000fps in the editor (when not in VR mode) so I can only imagine that there is a bug in direct mode when the scene is built.

3. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

With Oculus 0.6 release, Direct mode has been improved and should be very close to matching Extended mode. In the next release of 5.1, you will be able to use the 0.6 runtime with the Oculus integration. Once that is released, see if you are getting the same results or if the performance has improved. We have seen better performance in both Direct and Extended mode with the 0.6 release, but if you see a problem like this again. Let us know, thanks.

JonDadley likes this.
  4. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

@JonDadley How are you even using Extended mode? When I change it in the Oculus Configuration Utility it stops detecting the Rift. It's not the same for you?

5. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

@Todd Wasson I was receiving the same error, but I was not detecting in Direct Mode. Try uninstalling the 0.5 runtime and then re-installing

6. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Nope, didn't work. Got the same result.

7. vvander

vvander

I had this problem as well, and I fixed it by enabling the "monitor" in Windows' control panel (Screen Resolution). Seemed like the rift was setting itself as a monitor but Windows wasn't enabling it by default, so the runtime utility wasn't detecting it.

Todd-Wasson likes this.
  8. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Thanks, vvander. I just tried that and it worked. Extended mode is working beautifully in the Rift in the Unity player. In a a 20 minute session I only had the right eye flicker once. If I'd have blinked I'd have missed it. Frame rate was high enough too. Looks I'll be using extended mode only until the next update. Good to have a working Rift again.