Search Unity

--PolyWorld-- Low Poly Toolkits and More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by QuantumTheory, Apr 9, 2014.

?

Would you consider purchasing prefab PolyWorld scenes, crafted by me, and published in the store?

Poll closed Aug 18, 2015.
  1. Yes, only if they are budgeted for performance, utilize existing packages, and have enough variety.

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No, I just want new packs.

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

With the diffuse texture issue, I preferred to inform the user of the error and let them fix it. My checks still aren't working for some reason..

WTR illegal characters, Yes I can strip them out.

2. saucer78

saucer78

Not sure about TerraVol, but the creator of TerrainEngine chimed in a week or two ago with an example of a seemingly flawless union of his procedural terrain and Polyworld: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/polyworld-for-unity.239365/page-5#post-1712919

3. XavLar

XavLar

Have you tried putting a mesh collider on it?

4. cj31387

cj31387

How do you lightmap with this asset, or do you not, and only change the custom shader? If you can't lightmap, can you change the brightness based on time of day?

5. saucer78

saucer78

Yes, the problems are solved, thanks. (I've learned a lot in the last couple of weeks!)

6. saucer78

saucer78

Sorry, I have no idea. You might have to contact the asset creator, but be warned: I've read TerrainEngine costs a few thousand dollars. No joke.

I just remembered seeing the video and posted the link to show that procedural terrain can work with PolyWorld.

7. cj31387

cj31387

My bad i meant how do you lightmap with PolyVox. It throws errors when I try to.

8. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

On the original unconverted prefab, be sure to generate lightmap uvs in the inspector. When you convert it to a PolyWorld asset, the uv coordinates come with it so it lightmaps fine.

9. saucer78

saucer78

I've been getting this error a lot lately, but have no idea what I could have done:

Assets/Quantum Theory/Polyworld/Editor/QT_CombineMeshes.cs(43,17): warning CS0414: The private field `QT_CombineMeshes.layer' is assigned but its value is never used

Any advice?

10. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

That's just a non-fatal warning that I'll need to fix in the next update. You can ignore it.

11. saucer78

saucer78

Ok no problem - thanks for the quick reply!

12. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

The new pack has resumed after a long hiatus.

Socrates likes this.
  13. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Prototyped different walkway meshes from wood planks to varieties of jagged and smooth stone. It's fun to to try to create the impression of surfaces through simple geometry and color. I have more variety than what is shown.

You will probably notice higher detail on these compared to Woodland. The walkways here will have more height information which better helps to describe an aged surface.

I'm also planning on adding modular trims simply because I liked how the look came out.

Besides the modeling, there are other things to look into:

1. LODs. Probably a good idea to do once and for all.
    2. Random vertex color script: Pick two colors and each face will receive either those two colors or the range between them. Great if you want to change the palette.
    3. A name for this pack! "Far East" is taken. "Ancient East" is an option. Something with "Orient" is also interesting.

twobob and Socrates like this.
  14. SolitudeSA

SolitudeSA

It looks great QuantumTheory!

I've been busy creating low poly models in Blender with flat shaded models, thinking that I will pre-render them in scenes and create a 2D game. However seeing how good Polyworld looks I'm considering buying it and making the game 3D.

How do you go about creating the models for your pack though? I take it that I can't just take my vertex colored models and plug them in. How do you go about creating these models? Do you create them and then run them through your script? Or do you unweld vertices on the models before you bring them into Unity?

My apologies for all the questions but I want to make sure that I can create my own low poly models to use with your packs before buying Polyworld.

15. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Check PM.

SolitudeSA likes this.
  16. simonb_2983

simonb_2983

Would love to find out some info about this as well if I can? Particularly in regards to terrain-style objects (e.g. rocks, trees etc.) and especially with regard to using the "Divide Mesh into Chunks" feature to create more dramatic terrain objects like rock columns, arches etc. - could you give some insight into the process/possibilities of this feature?

p.s. love your plugin, great work. Am only scratching the surface at the moment but enjoying playing around with it.

Thanks!

OnePxl likes this.
  17. janpec

janpec

Haha agree, asian rooftops are tricky to model to keep polycount lower and especially for this plugin.
    You did nice job overall.

18. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Demo of an early version of the Modify Color script coming to PolyWorld: Ancient East!

The script allows you to isolate color values on any PolyWorld mesh and modify them using up to 4 colors. By scaling the alpha to 0 for any new color, you can drop that color out and bring back the original with it. Add the base shading back in and adjust its value range to suit your needs.

This script is meant for in-editor modification. I will also investigate a shader that can do the same thing but allow you to do it in at runtime. Imagine changing seasons in PolyWorld: Woodland in realtime.. ;)

As a side note, I do plan on including this script in Woodland after Ancient East's release. To make the meshes compatible, the value ranges for all the woodland content needs to be redone and therefore the pack needs to be updated.

SolitudeSA, saucer78 and Solus like this.
  19. KyleStaves

KyleStaves

Well that is just plain insanely cool. Very well done!

Bullets42 likes this.
  20. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Thanks!

I tested this just running through the demo scene, seeing what I could do with it as is. It would be a huge help if I went back and gave more of a value range to the assets so we could easily color change them in a logical way. Anyway, the script allows the possibility of putting your own touch or art direction into the art style. For example, suppose you wanted to take the cave walls from Woodland and set it up so you could mine them. You'd need a stone or gem color in there. With the script, that's really simple to do and you can specify the concentration. If a building needs to stand out, you can change the walls to red and the roof to dark grey. If the existing color on the signs needs to be boosted or changed, it's a 2 second fix.

This script is pretty cool. I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone can do.

21. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Here is a tutorial on how I painted the water in the Woodland Toolkit!

22. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Update:

Made progress on updating the Mesh Conversion script. Here is a list of changes coming up really soon:

1. Choosing an export folder. No more relying on the hard-coded Faceted Meshes folder
    2.Option to add a custom suffix. Currently you always get a "-Faceted" suffix added to your meshes and gameobjects. I now supply a field where you can put your own or nothing at all.
    3. Option to overwrite similar assets in the export folder. Disabling this is useful if you want to get a bunch of colored mesh variants in a snap.

23. Bullets42

Bullets42

Do you model these as I see or is that converted by something else? Curious as a pre purchase question and is it ok to mix this with normal art style in a game will it make a different on performance?

24. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

The models that are included in all PolyWorld packs have been specifically modeled by me to get the right aesthetic, to get it perfectly modular, and to keep the triangle count low. PolyWorld artwork is made for PolyWorlds ;)

You can certainly mix artwork if the aesthetic holds up to your standard. It will be a matter of taste.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  25. garrido86

garrido86

Thank you for this great asset, it saves a lot of time converting meshes instead of remodeling from ground up in Maya!
    I have some several Question, do you mind to be contacted via email?

26. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Sure no problem.

27. Bullets42

Bullets42

Hey I just wanted to tell everyone I bought it and I feel like a winner! Heh this tool is so fun I might forget about the game :p Just kidding this style has inspired me to feel like I can come up with something that's still fresh on today's market and fun!

I'd like to share what I did in my first 20 minutes using Poly World. I simply followed QuantumTheory on his tutorial for creating terrain @ WatchMe After that my next terrain will prob be even faster if I am just going for small test scenes with less sculpting. Anyhow the image below is what I did with some old hand painted textures that had fairly nice details, however I believe whats important is the different color complexity in the texture rather then its detail, that is what will produce what you want to see in poly heaven! But QuantumTheory has told me through his kind support via email

"More vertices = more color variety. But too many and your mesh won't look faceted. If the low poly building is very low poly like this, it will convert to a regular, single-colored box and won't resemble the textured version. It's a balancing act. This is why there is great value in using the meshes included in the packs; they're modeled with color variety and performance in mind. With converting, just experiment and find what works best for you."

(Produced while watching terrain tutorial @ WatchMe - hand painted textures, nothing other then PolyWorld)

(Above is the terrain before I converted it to PolyWorld Faceted Style - View with Wireframe)​

Now the above image is just to show what I did in a matter of minutes while watching that tutorial he made for us. Now that I see for myself it working I feel confident in what steps I must take to make some cool scenes! I can't wait its lots of fun scultping your details now in terrain, just come up with game ideas next for this style!

One thing I just want to close up saying is imagine the above with poly world woodland kit assets provided with purchase, and water, skybox, even vegetation like trees. I did not show any of these because I just was using this asset for the first time ever. I also know a lot of people will probably focus on this stage the most before anything else is decided like props, at least it helps for matching your style together for the scene. I mean think what some weather effects could do for you.

I hope this post is helpful for some people deciding, its worth it if you considered it already!

Low Poly Inspiration Pintrest

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    QuantumTheory likes this.
  28. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Update:

Did some various props, walkways, tree planters, and a bridge. Investigated the best solution for color grading for my purposes and decided it was Chromatica. I like the potential for iterating and experimenting right inside the editor.

Work on converting the water script to a shader should begin soon. I'm also hoping to get a version that's good for cloth and flags flapping in the breeze.

I like where this is going.

Bullets42, SolitudeSA, OnePxl and 2 others like this.
  29. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

v1.7 is out!

- Mesh Converter now allows you to export to a custom folder.
    - Mesh Converter allows a custom suffix instead of the hardcoded -Faceted suffix
    - Overwrite Exported Data flag exposed in case you want multiples of converted assets.
    - Meshes with bad characters are automatically fixed.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    Bullets42 and SolitudeSA like this.
  30. SolitudeSA

SolitudeSA

I still haven't bought PolyWorld. It looks amazing though.

31. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Hi, How can I use the IBL Skyboxes?

32. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Just change the skybox material in the Render Settings to one with IBL in the name. Then change your object materials to the IBL cubemap with the same name.

33. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

34. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

35. devcor

devcor

Hello. For some reason I get the blank mesh with no textures... I mean, it has assigned material, but no textures...

36. RC-1290

RC-1290

Polyworld shaders don't use standard diffuse textures. They only use the mesh vertex colors, baked into the model.
    Did you use the mesh converter script?

37. devcor

devcor

Do you mean this script?

If so, then yes. It creates the following in the folder:

38. RC-1290

RC-1290

I'm pretty sure you're not seeing a blank mesh, but a mesh with very bright vertex colors, which you might not expect for an object that seems grey overall. You could try setting the blur amount higher.

The result isn't even that far off from the rocks you see in one of the demo images:

Keep in mind that the rocks you want to convert originally relied heavily on detailed diffuse textures, and less on the shape of the mesh. Which is the opposite of what you see in Polyworld.

What were you hoping to see?

Sorry, I can't give you a more detailed response right now. I have only worked on the shaders, and Quantum Theory is currently travelling. Hopefully my answer was still useful.

39. devcor

devcor

I was hoping to see the same mesh I got, but with a brown-black-ish textures on it.

Thank you for your answer anyway, it was kinda informative, especially the way you pointed out their rocks, which are mostly bright.

I just wanted to check - is there a way to make the texture darker? I want my boulders dark grey-ish, not white :D

I'll try setting blur amount to higher value and post back with a result.

40. devcor

devcor

Tgough in inspector it does seem that they are white... And is this ok that both materials use "None (Cubemap)"?

41. devcor

devcor

Though I must say I get successfull results with other objects. Tried winmill and tree - looks okay, with colors.
    Now I can't wait to get that coloring tool!

42. RC-1290

RC-1290

That's correct, those are the only textures that these shaders use (except for the reflective version, which uses a separate, sharp, reflection cubemap). The cubemaps are used for Image Based Lighting (IBL for short). There should be some cubemaps included in the project exactly for that.

While you might prefer changes in the scripts and/or shaders, I can suggest a workaround for now. You could heavily blur and tint the original texture before conversion (in your image editing tool of choice), so that the colors sampled by the conversion script are darker.

43. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

@RC-1290 is right; It's a greyscale texture so the result is going to be near white. I can see some subtle blue in pink in the converted asset. I would edit the texture and put some color variety in there if that's what you want to achieve.

You can darken the converted result by just darkening in the color swatch in the source rock's material.

RC-1290 likes this.
  44. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

v1.71 Uploading to the store!

- Added option to recalculate lightmap uvs in the Mesh Converter.

Bullets42 likes this.
  45. Lechuza

Lechuza

Amazing tool! Really impressive!

I was wondering, are you planning on adding support so it would be possible to paint grass meshes and trees just like in the terrain editor onto the resultant mesh terrain? that way we could take advante of windzones and grass animation. Is this feasible? I've been searching for other tools that would allow me to do that, that is, paint grass and custom trees onto a custom terrain mesh.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  46. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

QuickBrush seems like the best way to go for that task!

Bullets42 likes this.
  47. Bullets42

Bullets42

First off thanks for the update that was a clever one now we work even quicker hehe! Quick Brush is a great tool thanks for the recommendation on that I needed something like that myself. I also cannot wait for the color tool, and just outta curiosity have you considered a tool to edit a mesh in unity and then use the color tool to color it up?

@devcor Have you tried messing with your saturation levels, that seemed to help me get my rocks as I needed so far pretty easy to. Perhaps you could even mess with some other tones to help define it how you wish. Hopefully that helps.

I am not to sure QT but is brighten by color like adding an ambient light? Whats that do add color to the vertex face itself? I am just a bit confused on how that works exactly.

48. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Brighten by Color puts additive color on the surface. The result would be the same as the Photoshop layer mode, "Linear Dodge."

For example, if your triangles were 128,128,128 and you added pure red, the result on the surface would be 255,128,128.

Darken the surface (mulitply) using the source object's color swatch in the material.

49. S-0-L-0

S-0-L-0

Will this script work with Unity's vertex lit shader (no textures)?

50. RC-1290

RC-1290

If it writes this data to the vertex colors, the standard Unity shaders will just appear untextured, because they don't use the vertex colors in the lighting calculations.