Search Unity

--PolyWorld-- Low Poly Toolkits and More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by QuantumTheory, Apr 9, 2014.

?

Would you consider purchasing prefab PolyWorld scenes, crafted by me, and published in the store?

Poll closed Aug 18, 2015.
  1. Yes, only if they are budgeted for performance, utilize existing packages, and have enough variety.

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No, I just want new packs.

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Oh that. I did collision boxes all over the world in the online demos, but deleted them for the demo scenes in the pack.

It's not an elegant solution but it's good for a demo.

2. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Wondering why the Ancient East package has all of the scripts whereas Polyworld is missing this script. It seems to me that for those of us who supported your early work is getting a bummed deal. It would be really nice that those who supported the polyworld package should also get this update. If you are planning to make more other low poly packages it would also be more consistent to keep the scripts the same in all packages so that we are not forced to buy the latest because the earlier packages do not have the latest scripts. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: If I had known that the latest package has all of the new scripts, I would have waited to buy the Ancient East instead of the Polyworld.

3. delinx32

delinx32

I assumed that's what you did. I was hoping there was a hidden "don't let character fall off of cliffs" setting somewhere.

I love the work you're doing. You can count on me to buy any compatible environment packs you put out.

4. lazygunn

lazygunn

i dont know if i'm speaking out of turn but can i moan monotonously (or ask eagerly) if there was the possibility of a batch tool thing for converting entire environments cause it would pretty much make my day

99thmonkey likes this.
  5. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

There is a possibility, yes. I've done it before, but I'll have to rewrite it. I can't get to it right now, however.

6. lazygunn

lazygunn

Ahh no probs this instant, i think it'd make any day in the next, well, it'd be great! But not anything urgent all in all (I'm busy impressing them with the ancient asia demo)

7. twobob

twobob

shall start saving up the pennies.

so much work. so pretty.

8. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

QT, is it possible to make very sharp color blends on the polyworld terrain? Something like this?

9. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Short answer: No, but "maybe." ;) I'll have to look into this.

Long Answer: When you paint on the Unity terrain, it will blend textures based on the falloff of the paintbrush and the resolution of the splatmap. There is a blending that occurs naturally. If I could have a terrain shader that jacks up the contrast of the splat map so that it's essentially 1 bit in each channel, you *might* get something similar when all is said and done. It probably won't be a razor sharp division though. The ideal way to do this effect is simply to cut geometry and manually color it that way.

But if you're just referring to the shading within the major colors in the image, like the shades of green on the grass, that can be achieved by using a cubemap in the IBL slot of a polyworld material.

10. twobob

twobob

love the online demo.
    love the pack.
    2 bucks prize if you can guess where I got to ;)

oopsy.JPG
    okay there is no prize.

Great assets, does that use the LOD stuff? if it does I didn't notice. nicely done.

11. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Stupid jump.. ;) I thought I would disable that but I figure it'd be more fun to go wherever.

3 LODs are on architecture and props, all hand-done. I've some imagery to post soon about that.

twobob likes this.
  12. twobob

twobob

I read every post you ever made on here. Twice. I saw your previous posts about the LOD's - they were just so seamless that neither me, nor my partner here, could spot them..

Good job.

heh yeah. To be fair it took me a good 10 minutes to find that spot. And gratuitous jump derping.
    respect for that too. Most demos manage about 1.

13. antiReady

antiReady

I'm doing a game with a somewhat similar style (though hand made instead of converted terrains/models) but I think I'll buy this just to get my hands on the modify color script.
    Pretty awesome work so far :)

14. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Thanks for all the complements! It's good to hear everyone enjoying the packs. Just a reminder to please consider leaving feedback in the store. It helps immensely!

15. lazygunn

lazygunn

Consider the feedback a done deal, i'm trying to get a good grasp of everything on offer, tool wise, before i say anything, and i'm still taking a kinda special pleasure in preparing everything. Bunch of even-more-npr shaders prepared, the whole gamut of shading options sets the mind going. Esp when the rather fantastical look is established then you start to encroach back onto modern realism-based procedures, there's a performance drop with the shift i took from vertex shading, naturally, but then the richness and things like translucency and such im looking at bringing in.. it's good! The faceted shapes become a kind of affectation of the aesthetic rather than their practicality as simplified, stylised 3d forms

16. lazygunn

lazygunn

Had a lil think about the question on strong colour contrasts, wouldnt a levels+quantization+ 'grow' for set value ranges operation on chosen splat map channels do the trick? That would be a neat feature and def save efforts messing around with splats in an image editor

17. twobob

twobob

Purchased. Nice one.

18. twobob

twobob

quick conversion mod:

Optional "faster conversion workflow". suppress popup

Line 45ish++
    Code (csharp):
    2. private bool suppressCompletionDialog = false;
    3. //useful for when multiple meshes get combined.
    Line 110ish ++
    Code (csharp):
    2. suppressCompletionDialog = EditorGUILayout.Toggle(
    3. "Suppress Completion Dialog?", suppressCompletionDialog);
    Line 155ish
    Code (csharp):
    2. if (!suppressCompletionDialog)
    3. {
    4. EditorUtility.DisplayDialog("Conversion Complete",
    5. "Success! All new content is located in:\n" + exportAssetFolder, "OK");
    6. }

fasterWorkflow.JPG

OnePxl likes this.
  19. twobob

twobob

I'm sure this has been covered before but I see the meshes are all maya Z up (or something).
    As I generally procedurally propagate the content throughout my world this does make the whole "Just grab this and plop it wherever" thing, one more step painful.

I think I will make a script that converts /everything/ into the correctly rotated prefabs.
    Cursory sniffing around for tree prefabs turned nothing up.
    Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place but either way the script will /probably/ be useful anyways for other scenarios.

Will up one at some point if no-one does first. cheers.

Hmm or perhaps not... It could be my scripts... stripping out the info

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  20. OnePxl

OnePxl

Not Y-up? Doesn't that have to do with the source meshes?

21. twobob

twobob

Here I discuss prefabs having rotation stripped by my spawn script
    I'm possibly mis-quoting the exact nature of the issue but yes: meshes appear to be "Native Maya Rotation Order" exports (which I can presume to be true given that Qt said has was modelling in Maya a few pages back).

Of course creating a rotated prefab is super trivial, (add an empty parent with -90 x, or do it in the procedural script, or just -90x on the thing itself.)

trees.JPG look sideways to me ;)

EDIT: Hmm, I'm just not sure now, it could be that the rotation get's stripped out by my scripts
    I will keep looking,

The chances of it being my error are about 99.9%, QT's about 0.1 ;)

*Goes off to check.* Hmm... yeah. None of my other stuff relies on "Default Rotation Information" to "be upright".

I will just re-parent them in something that does NOT rely on "Embedded" rotation information to provide correct orientation. I'll add a dummy gameobject parent then. that should sort it.

EDIT EDIT: Yup that sorts it and makes it simpler to use them in scripts, no nasty edge use-case code.
    TreesUp.JPG
    Bulk Procedural Placement On An Inifinite 9-Grid Block proceduralPlacementOnAnInifinite9GridBlock.JPG

Nice one

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  22. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I'm using Max for modeling. Z is up in Max while Y is up in Unity, so a conversion needs to be made. I think it's done at export.

23. twobob

twobob

Yeah, basically that conversion is never "applied", and in fact the X axis is simply rotated a -90, which is fine, until you expect it to have "Vector3.Zero" as the default rotations.

To be clear: Dragging this into the scene will work perfectly, in fact the only situation where this is even an issue is the one I have stated above. Which, honestly, is probably only me and /maybe/ a couple of your other users during the lifetime of the product.

Frankly. I should just shut up, suck it up, fix it my side, post how I did it (above) and get on with the project.
    I would politely advise the next person to do the same, it took a few moments to "fix" up an extra parent and slam down as a new prefab...

Nice stuff.

24. twobob

twobob

Might I ask how you get the statues and other details to blur when viewed very closely in the demo?

EDIT: DOF maybe? [x] Near blur?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  25. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Some shots on the LOD levels in the village:

26. twobob

twobob

Might I be so bold as to say that I don't quick know what to do with the stacks prefabs.

Are they to be literally stacked on top of each other?
    Cheers.

I got the "Shove 500 of these items randomly in a scene with a few thousand trees via raycasts" script working (needs a snappier title huh) it's basic stuff but does the job. Just not sure how to handle spawning the stacks? Thanks :)

procedural.JPG

Oh! (LOD is featured in this shot ;) ) heh

27. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Stacks are good for making second-story buildings. I believe 3 are used in the demo scene at the temple area. You stack them on the larger bases.

twobob likes this.
  28. cj31387

cj31387

Getting a null reference in unity 4.6.1 when trying to convert terrain with the terrain converter

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    QT_ExportTerrain.SetupTerrainPrefab (System.String assetPath, UnityEngine.TerrainData terrain) (at Assets/Quantum Theory/Polyworld/Editor/QT_ExportTerrain.cs:555)
    QT_ExportTerrain.Export () (at Assets/Quantum Theory/Polyworld/Editor/QT_ExportTerrain.cs:503)
    QT_ExportTerrain.OnGUI () (at Assets/Quantum Theory/Polyworld/Editor/QT_ExportTerrain.cs:143)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

29. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Delete the PolyWorld terrain mesh (not the Unity terrain) in your scene and regenerate. It's likely the mesh was looking for a mesh that didn't exist in your project.

30. twobob

twobob

shove a Debug.Log for the gameObject name around QT_ExportTerrain.cs:555 if it persists and see if it's actually null or w/e. That's what I would do.

31. twobob

twobob

Okay, so I did a bit more derping.

This occurs when the prefab data is far enough out of sync with the actual Instance of the prefab you are operating on.

For example, grab a prefab, shove it in scene, rename it, try to convert it without first hitting APPLY, this should cause the prefab to have a different name to the actual object. You will see a new object created with the ACTUAL prefab name and then it will fail with null..

So. long story short. Looks like prefab "State" being a bit far from the actual.

Hope it helps.

32. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Woodland has a quick bugfix/update. Ancient East will get it asap:

• SurfaceNoise now works.
    • Added option to disable/enable mesh combining in the mesh converter.

twobob likes this.
  33. dxmachina

dxmachina

You've mentioned it in the "Known Issues" - but is there any hope to get Blendshapes transferred in the near future?

34. twobob

twobob

35. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

What twobob said.. Unity doesn't allow us access to the blendshapes. Otherwise you'd have them in PolyWorld.

36. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

After some silly issues with the Asset Store tools, Ancient East now has the previously mentioned updates.

twobob likes this.
  37. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Hello, I have Polyworld Wood, when I move camera, some clouds disappear, how to remove the effect?

Oh and which camera effects did you use on your promo video? Some kind of bloom and blur?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  38. twobob

twobob

He did mention a few pages back that in general he uses regular fog, global fog of a different tint, depth of field or tilt and shift. I am pretty sure I saw a peek of maybe some anti-aliasing and possibly a hint of occlusion but it is tough to tell.

In a nutshell just the default tools.

39. MIK3K

MIK3K

I thought at first this was made with Polyworld - http://store.steampowered.com/app/323320/

Fantastic little game with the Polyworld look and physical world including procedural animations for the character controller. Really well done. It is Reflections that made the game (of the old Driver series).

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  40. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Heh. I'll ask around since I work for Ubi.

41. RangePlusOne

RangePlusOne

Hey guys I'd like some feedback using the PolyWorld tool (which is pretty freakin' awesome so thanks so much Qt!) Which do you prefer an environment with or without outlines? [side note: This is a FPS exploration game]

outlinecompare.png

42. twobob

twobob

second one.

RangePlusOne likes this.
  43. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Second one ain't bad.

RangePlusOne likes this.
  44. Socrates

Socrates

The second one has much more of a "graphic novel" feel to it. It also helps to differentiate things like the trees from the sky or other background objects.

The game Firefall has an option to turn on a similar sort of change in the rendering. (It is a FPS type MMO, but is not low-poly.) When playing that, my impression was more cartoony without the outlines, more comic book with the outlines.

RangePlusOne likes this.
  45. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

How would you guys feel about a pack of 25-50 background mountain/landscape PolyWorld models? Useful?

46. twobob

twobob

define "Background Landscapes". Assume limited imagination on your listeners part.
    I honestly can't envisage what that might entail.

ASIDE: the RC1 of Unity 5.0 has a nice "%age / CrossFade" LOD option that makes your LOD work on the "Ancient East Pack" (sorry If I got the name wrong again, I may get a tattoo) all the more worthwhile. :)

47. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

In the Woodland pack, there is a mesh or two in the Mountains folder. It's just a mesh that looks like a mountain that's meant to use as a background to place in your scenes. It's also used in the Woodland demo.

Now, imagine you had 25-50 different types to choose from: snow capped, dry, volcanic, etc.. Useful?

48. twobob

twobob

Zomg, I don't know. I am clearly vacuous today. I suspect, given your artistic abilities and proclivities, anything that you created would be inspirational. Honestly, for me, "inspirational" assets are where the "Valued-Added"-ness is stored in Unity Assets.

Hence me loving your system.
    Inspirational.

I guess "price-point" would be king for most people. For anything "Inspirational" I would save up my pennies.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  49. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Are you talking about adding these to the current Woodland Pack and FarEast pack?

50. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

The second one has better usability in that it is easier to focus on individual objects, but visually the first image looks more natural and attractive to me.

RangePlusOne likes this.