Pokémon Fan-Game with Unity?

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by NikNaks, Oct 31, 2009.

1. NikNaks

NikNaks

I'm looking to make a Pokémon fan-game using Unity, but I'm not really sure where to start. Being a complete newb, I'm horrendously afraid of the interface I'm presented with, but that's not the point of this thread. What I'm really wondering is 1, is anyone with more experience interested in helping, and 2, has anything like this (by which I mean using 2/2.5D graphics) been done before with this engine, and is it really worth it?

Thanks,
    NikNaks

2. JRavey

JRavey

I am not terribly familiar with Pokemon, but I have seen the games. More than likely, you would need to use an orthographic projection for your camera. It is pretty easy to do.

As for where to start, a Pokemon-type game is absolutely the wrong place to start. The tutorials and some practice with JavaScript (which is supposedly easier than C#, but I wouldn't know as I have only used C# with Unity) are likely to be better starting points.

The odds of completing anything close to even the most simple Pokemon games as your first project are basically zero percent without some basic skills. Luckily, they are not terribly complicated games so after a few simple projects of playing with interfaces and movement, you will be well on your way.