Search Unity

Plugin Special Names Suggestion

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by nventimiglia, Sep 2, 2014.

1. nventimiglia

nventimiglia

(Case 630693) Editor is loading Standalone dll in mobile

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/756779/unity-exclude-dll-by-platofrm-x86-64-special-names.html

I spend allot of my time writing plugins for unity. The plugin / special name system works fine for the most basic of cases, but falls apart in advanced situations. Here are some issues I have run into.

• Poor documentation on what special names there are
    • The x86_64 and Standalone folders are loaded when building for mobile. This causes the editor to halt if the standalone version of the plugin uses System.Net.
    • No Editor only plugin. This makes a x-platform plugin impossible to test in the editor when targeting mobile.
    Here is a solution I have come up with. It is a new Plugin / Special names hierarchy.

• Plugins
      • Free
        • Editor, Standalone, iOS, Android, WindowsRT, ect...
      • Pro

Rules
    • Plugins in the root "Plugin" folder are always loaded
    • Plugins in Pro are only loaded if Unity Pro
    • Plugins in Free are only loaded if Unity Free
    • Plugins in the platform specific directories are only loaded if in that platform
    • Plugins in the Editor folder are only loaded if in the editor regardless of platform
    This should solve most every conceivable 'gotcha' situation I can think of.

p.s. Unity User Voice sucks. The limited votes makes it of limited use. Every time I go to use it I have to go around and delete my old votes. Really ? just make it a simple up-vote or 0-5 star rating system.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014