Search Unity

Please Help, Totally blocked cannot save!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by hoesterey, Dec 19, 2014.

1. hoesterey

hoesterey

HI,.
    I am now unable to save my project OR scene file. I get no errors when trying to save.

I get the following errors (on lots of objects) on startup.

Things I've tried that doesn't work:
    Re-installing unity
    Creating a new project, importing my old project as a package into it.
    Removing everything from constructors (the below errors happen on lots of scriptable object even after everything was removed from constructors no clue if its related) Scriptable object code has not changed for a long time this just popped up in 4.6.1

ArgumentException: CreateInstanceFromType can only be called from the main thread.
    Constructors and field initializers will be executed from the loading thread when loading a scene.
    Don't use this function in the constructor or field initializers, instead move initialization code to the Awake or Start function.
    UnityEngine.ScriptableObject.CreateInstance (System.Type type) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/EditorGenerated/BaseClass.cs:642)
    UnityEngine.ScriptableObject.CreateInstance[PropertyChannelMapping] () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/EditorGenerated/BaseClass.cs:653)
    PropertyProvider..ctor ()
    Entity..ctor ()
    Agent..ctor ()
    Ship..ctor ()

bobmoff likes this.
  2. jonkuze

jonkuze

Yep! I just posted this same issue... Unity just released a Patch today and didn't even bother to fix this... Whats the deal Unity? This is really unacceptable... other Bugs OK, but can't save Changes to a Scene is ridiculous and should be top priority beyond anything else.

3. hoesterey

hoesterey

Is this a known bug? We just lost a whole day of work not realizing the thing wasn't saving.

Any help is super appreciated we are 100% dead in the water.

4. jonkuze

jonkuze

I don't think a widely known bug yet! I'm waiting for Unity to reply... I don't understand how this didn't get Patched today, doesn't make any sense. What's the point of all the other Fixes in the Patch if we can't Save our Work?

Unity please address this ASAP!

@hoesterey from what I understand one of the Developers on my team is working around this issue by Save As... Save Scene to New Name, then Rename the Scene to Whatever you want it be. But don't try to Save directly over it again, every Save must be done via Save As to New Scene File Name.

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Did you submit a bug report? They can't fix what they don't know about. Using 4.6.1p1 here with no saving issues.

--Eric

6. hoesterey

hoesterey

yes submitted a bug. No response thus far.

Save as works on the scene level but I can't save projects. Sadly we are very prefab heavy.

7. poisonpage

poisonpage

I had the FullInspector 2.4.2 asset installed yesterday and just upgrade to unity 4.6.1 today...got the same error as above. I suspected the FullInspector, reverted that asset from repo and saving worked again for me.

8. hoesterey

hoesterey

FullInspector 2.4.2? I see that the asset customizes the inspector to work with generics and inheritance. We do our own similar behavior...

Where you able to narrow down what exactly in it causes the error. I've tried a lot of things in code, to fix the problem that seams to be indicated by the error but no luck.

Really wish I could get in touch with Unity.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  9. hoesterey

hoesterey

Ok,
    Installing from the main unity download no go.
    Installing patch 4.6.1p2 fixed the save.

Still get this error on startup though and removing everything from constructors did not fix the problem. We can now make progress again!

ArgumentException: CreateInstanceFromType can only be called from the main thread.
    Constructors and field initializers will be executed from the loading thread when loading a scene.
    Don't use this function in the constructor or field initializers, instead move initialization code to the Awake or Start function.
    UnityEngine.ScriptableObject.CreateInstance (System.Type type) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/EditorGenerated/BaseClass.cs:642)
    UnityEngine.ScriptableObject.CreateInstance[PropertyChannelMapping] () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/EditorGenerated/BaseClass.cs:653)
    PropertyProvider..ctor ()
    Entity..ctor ()
    Agent..ctor ()
    Ship..ctor ()

bobmoff and jonkuze like this.
  10. wampastompa

wampastompa

I had the same issue where I couldn't save, and like hoesterey, upgrading to 4.6.1p2 fixed it!

I don't have any of the errors on startup that hoesterey mentioned, though, so those appear entirely unrelated to the issue of not being able to save.

I'm on Mac OS X 10.10.1 and had the Unity version you get from the normal Unity download link. 4.6.1....something, I don't have that build number still, and it's not mentioned on the download page.

So, thanks, hoesterey, for posting the fix of upgrading to the patch version!

hoesterey likes this.
  11. jeffsherwin

jeffsherwin

Confirmed that 4.6.1p2 fixes the save issue.

where do I send my invoice for time lost due to save not working?
    I figure its about $4k worth of time lost not realizing this FUNDAMENTAL menu item was broken since last week.
    with what I had to pay for this software if something like save is broken it make me question the whole package

Please realize that I really love Unity. But to release this sort of quality is just plain UNACCEPTABLE

certainly there is a QAT that says save actually saved?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  12. directedchaos

directedchaos

I also ran into this, losing a significant amount of work. No alerts, just silently not saving. Looked around a lot online and couldn't find anything (found this thread just now), figured out the ridiculous Save-As to a new file workaround. One thing I noticed is it defaults to Untitled and back in the base assets directory -- it just looks like the save logic thinks it's a new scene. Filed a bug about it. Downloading the latest patch (p3), sounds like from folks above in this thread it should be fixed.

But yeah Unity you should push this out as part of the latest version, not make people dig around and mess with patch releases. Saving is essential!!

13. directedchaos

directedchaos

Yeah the latest patch seems to fix the saving issues.

Also note it's not just scenes --- PREFABS DIDN'T SAVE EITHER! This thread has more info, sounds like it's all the same issue:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/4-6-1-broke-prefab-saving-and-model-scaling.285129/#post-1917036

The prefab not saving issue is even trickier than the scene not saving, and I almost lost quite a bit more work (fortunately I had backups). Basically, I would edit an object in a scene, save it to a prefab then delete it in the scene. Of course the prefab wasn't really saved, so I lost it on next reload. But for the current session it seems to keep the prefab in memory or something, just the save to disk doesn't work so it would look fine until I opened it the next time.

Again, yeah, that save fix should be released ASAP. Looks like plenty of us have lost a lot of time from it, not to mention time figuring out the issue and fix. And of course working on a patch release is limiting and riskier.