Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

PlayWay Water - high quality water system

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by zuzzu, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Recon03

Recon03

sounds good, but our XB1 game is after our mobile, so XB1 is no use for us personally right now, our mobile is near release, and needing a nice Ocean . Thanks, we will continue to wait.. Thanks.!

2. Yan-Pepin

Yan-Pepin

Hi,

When I choose any quality setting other than Fantastic, I get these black squares on my water at certain camera angles. Do you have any clue about what's causing that?

Thanks,

waterBug.png

3. zuzzu

zuzzu

Does disabling planar reflections fix this?

4. Yan-Pepin

Yan-Pepin

Yes. But the problem was caused by Relief Terrain Pack. It is now solved in the latest version. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  5. five-star

five-star

Great asset ! Thank you !
    But, it can't display another PC with AMD. I want to get latest one.
    How can I get it ? What is PM ?

Or, when do you update Unity Asset Store ?

6. zuzzu

zuzzu

Thanks, you may send me your Invoice No by forum private messaging.

I will submit an update soon, but it may take a few weeks before it will appear in the store.

7. elbows

elbows

Click on zuzzu's username in their forum post. Then click 'start a conversation'. Then you can safely send them your invoice number without other people seeing it, and they will send you a link to the latest version.

8. five-star

five-star

Thanks, zuzzu and elbows !
    I send invoice "Order number" at conversation with zuzzu.

9. Yan-Pepin

Yan-Pepin

Hi zuzzu,

I have a problem with water refraction and characters. As soon as I set the Refraction Distortion parameter at something other than 0, I get a weird outline around my character as seen on the following screenshot. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!
    playway_artefac_with_refraction.jpg

Peter77 likes this.
  10. zuzzu

zuzzu

Hi, what shader do you use on him? Is it available in the store?

I would need to take a look at it to help you.

11. Yan-Pepin

Yan-Pepin

I use Unity's standard shader on the character plus the edge detection post process effect from standard assets and some color correction post process effects from a plugin called colorful FX if I remember well. Besides, I have the same problem with a cube or a simple rock.

I will try to remove all my camera effects and see how it behaves. If I still have the weird rim, I will try to send you a simple test scene on Monday. Thanks!

12. DivergenceOnline

DivergenceOnline

I have the exact same issue as Yan, and i'm not using any edge detection.

13. zuzzu

zuzzu

Trying to reproduce this somehow, but everything seems to work fine on my side with all setups.

I'll wait for the test scene then. Thanks!

14. zuzzu

zuzzu

All right, this is the last issue that needs to be sorted out for 1.1.

I will start to share 1.2 beta with shores support very soon. It's going to be good :D

Rycons likes this.
  15. jashan

jashan

Awesome! :)

16. szymonkosok

szymonkosok

I've bought today your asset with WebGL based game in mind... and I'm getting purple sea. :( There are errors in Chrome console:

RenderTexture.Create failed: format unsupported.
    UnityEngine.Camera:RenderWithShader(Shader, String)
    PlayWay.Water.WaterCamera:RenderWaterHeightData()
    PlayWay.Water.WaterCamera:OnPreCull()

Please tell me that this is easy fixable and I didn't spent ~100 EUR for purple sea! :D

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  17. KingLlama

KingLlama

Does the asset support infinite ocean?

18. DivergenceOnline

DivergenceOnline

Yes

19. TekHK

TekHK

Hi,

Has anybody got any experience of Playway and Truesky? I am running into problems when trying to use a custom river mesh. It is a very basic mesh - created in 3dsmax in meters maybe 15km long. It has had it's xform reset and is roughly centered to the scene.

Unity Version is 5.3.2p2
    Playway is off the asset store
    Truesky is version trueSKYAlpha-Unity5-4.0.2.281

My problem is that there are dark spinning extrusions from the mesh. Have attached some screenshots. It is visible in game cam when in play mode or when stopped.

Terribly grateful for any help. Maybe I am just doing something wrong!
    Truesky and Playway issue3.jpg

Truesky and Playway issue1.jpg Truesky and Playway issue2.jpg

20. zuzzu

zuzzu

WebGL is not supported, you could just read the description or ask if in doubt ;)

You may contact me for a refund.

1.0 supports only quad custom meshes, if tesselation is used. I'm uploading 1.1 to the store right now. It supports any mesh and I'm sure that it will work just fine.

Sorry for causing you a trouble though ;)

21. TekHK

TekHK

that is great zuzzu! Thanks

Can I ask - if I wanted to have multiple water objects in my scene is this possible?

I have a river, a few lakes and several inland lock areas.

Also - how would this work if say I wanted to try and do a swimming pool?

Cheers

Nick

22. zuzzu

zuzzu

Multiple water objects will work fine. It will be culled correctly etc. Occlusion culling works fine too.

In one of our games we use ~20 water objects in a scene and it runs along with a full scene and postprocessing at 60 fps on GTX 960. I have described a workflow for this in the updated doc (attached below).

A swimming pool will be fine too, but you may need to use some fake caustics until I will finally add them to the asset ;)

Attached Files:

23. TekHK

TekHK

very nice - thanks!

24. TekHK

TekHK

Hi again,

Below are a sequence of images with playway and truesky (Alpha 4 Unity 5 4.0.1.270) - Skybox probe on truesky cam for relections. - honestly looking very nice! There are a couple of small things that I wanted to check to see if it was possible to improve.
    1. The reflection of the sun/bloom effect appears even though the clouds obscure the sun - can I adjust something to make this work?
    2. The ambient colour is very light when the sun goes down so looks a bit fake - is it possible to improve? (I Appreciate I have nothing under my water object so will test that later.)
    3. The rain in truesky is quite nice - how about splashes on the water! Sorry - I have to ask this! ;)

upload_2016-2-13_18-12-59.png upload_2016-2-13_18-14-16.png upload_2016-2-13_18-14-36.png upload_2016-2-13_18-14-45.png upload_2016-2-13_18-14-2.png

25. tapticc

tapticc

Are there any sales coming up, unfortunately out of my price range! :)

26. DivergenceOnline

DivergenceOnline

Have you started sharing 1.2 beta yet

27. zuzzu

zuzzu

Hi,

1. Do Truesky clouds cast shadows? If not, you will have to tone down the directional light through scripting.
    2. Ensure that you use WindWaves with Full FFT enabled, water on the screenshots seems to be flattened. Also do you use one of the predefined profiles? Check them out.
    3. No rain, sorry ;) Eventually it will be there, but no ETA for now.

That's up to UT ;) I just set the base price, sorry.

I'm going test it on our real-world projects through this week. I will share it asap, just after I will make new features useable on them.

jashan likes this.
  28. Plutoman

Plutoman

I got super busy with a lot of other things.. Dual marching cubes, using signed functions to draw in voxels (in all combinations, adding in a variation similar to the LibNoise library, so distance functions combined with all kinds of translation, noise, extrusion, where every parameter, even the radius of a sphere, can use a function in place of the value)... Nice setup to make some cool worlds. Taken a lot of work to make it fast enough though.

Anyways, that's me. Now that I'm wrapping it up, I'll be looking to integrate the water soon. I've been following the progress for the most part; what can I expect from that version 1.2?

29. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Zuzu take your time and test as much as possible. As the ppl say they are so busy with their stuff, then it doesnt matter to let them wait another 2-3 weeks. Mainly your asset works well. :D

zuzzu likes this.
  30. DivergenceOnline

DivergenceOnline

What's a "real world project"?

31. zuzzu

zuzzu

Have you managed to process physics collisions somehow? I've been trying such stuff too (simpler), but it was really hard to keep up with CPU representation there.

It's about shorelines and dynamic stuff. You may be interested in this.

For the time being, you may look at 1.1 - it just landed in the store and if I'm not wrong it has all the stuff that you requested previously ;)

:)

A project that wasn't made by me just to test the new features ;)

32. Plutoman

Plutoman

Sweet! Thanks! I move all my voxels into unity meshes and mesh colliders. I've had a few thoughts on simplifying the mesh colliders, but the performance impact has largely been calculation time. I've been working now to integrate C# 5.0/6.0 tasks into our project so we can take advantage of the syntax to really utilize every core, as well as caching variables with ConcurrentDictionary / MemoryCache.

I'll check it out! Sounds good. Shorelines would be interesting, though most of mine are small-body areas, some underground oceans would also be nice.

33. TekHK

TekHK

Hi,

I am playing with a couple of boats at the moment and have got them floating with both physics and the float script so am pretty happy right now. I am wondering if it is possible to displace the water as the boat moves and leave a foamy wake behind the boat?

34. DivergenceOnline

DivergenceOnline

Could you please offer a version that works with Unity 5.2.2 because 5.3 makes our game look like crap.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  35. jashan

jashan

Hey, congratulations for releasing 1.1 - just seen it's on the store now. Awesome!

And let me know when I shall test a 1.2 beta on the Vive and PlayStation VR (this does run very well now, I am very happy :) ).

36. zuzzu

zuzzu

This will be possible in 1.2.

There is just one error on 5.2.2 afaik. I will send you a fixed file in a second.

Thanks! :) I will.

Rycons likes this.
  37. VirtualisDev

VirtualisDev

"- Added wind waves flow force support."

What does it means exactly ?

38. zuzzu

zuzzu

These are forces that are applied directly by waves to rigid bodies.

Waves can move light objects with them both horizontally and vertically from now on. It may be clearly seen in action in physics stress test sample scene.

39. MornFall

MornFall

Hi,

Just got playway water in my project, looks insanely good and runs very well.
    But i am running in a small issue :
    When i am on my terrain, ( pretty heavy scene, lots of trees and all ), and if i look at the ground : my fps drop dramaticcaly. No fps drop when looking at the water, nor looking anywhere else: only when i look at the ground... It is an island, so thew water is being renderered under the terrain.
    So i am wondering what i am missing. I did the very basic setup form the documentation, picked a profile, added component to the camera and pressed play.
    I guess i can add a collider under the terrain to "Subtract" the water, but may be there is a simple option that i am missing ?

40. zuzzu

zuzzu

Do you bake occlusion culling? It may help.

41. MornFall

MornFall

I do, but that is not related, unless i missed something :
    I have more FPS when looking straight at the forest i made, with all the drawcalls and all, than when looking directly at the ground. If i deactivate the ocean ( which is under the terrain ), i instantly get the lost fps back.
    Looking at the ocean is running smoothly, looking straight is smooth, sky is good.. only when aiming at the ground, with the "nose on it" like looking at your feet.

Should i make a collider under the terrain so the water does not try to render under it ? or is it something weird going on that i can easily fix ? Like ocean trying to reflect something from the terrain or such ?
    I removed all layers from the reflections, it s only reflecting the skybox now, but that did not fix it.

42. Ascensi

Ascensi

@DivergenceOnline I'm having some issues with pixilation, when I disable the water camera the trees look fine. I've tried multiple settings on the water camera and the camera itself but nothing seems to change it. The water is in the distance but even when not looking at it the tree's become very blurry.

43. zuzzu

zuzzu

That's probably due to overdraw. Possible causes that you may look into:

1. Terrain shader is in transparent queue and draws after water.
    2. Occlusion culling bug - it sometimes lags on Unity 5+, but possibly it's fixed in recent patches. You can try to disable "Occlusion Culling" on your cameras to see if that is the case.
    3. You have a lot of grass on transparent queue.

Whatever is the cause, if water would get properly occlusion culled, that would fix these issues. If for some reason it is not culled (terrain may be placed low, close to water and overlaps with its bounding box) as a last resort you may place a few triggers inside your terrain that will disable water through scripting.

Can you send me a simple test scene?

44. Superflat

Superflat

Im trying to incorporate support for Curved Worlds by VacuumShaders. And luckily it comes with some instruction how to achieve it. Understand it's hard to support other plugins but it'd be pretty damn neat if i were able to curve your ocean. One of the reasons i bought the package, thinking curved world would be a post FX.

I couldnt quite find the vert shader pass. How are the shaders setup in PlayWay Water any way? There's a lot of variations on the water shader.

S_Darkwell likes this.
  45. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

If you figure out a way, please do share. That would be incredible!
    - S.

hopeful likes this.
  46. zuzzu

zuzzu

Did we had this conversation on e-mail or is it a coincidence? ;) PW Water shader is optimized for Y pointing up. This affects mainly normal computations and appending curved worlds code would produce weird look for the water. This is something I can definitely add in the future (water is no longer limited by keywords), but right now I'm still extremely busy with the shorelines and iOS support.

Ryan687 likes this.
  47. nubdev

nubdev

Hey, great asset.

I am having some problems though -

after updating to 1.1, I am getting an error message:

"error CS0117:' UnityEngine.Physics' does not contain a definition for 'OverlapSphereNonAlloc'

for Water.cs.. fresh installs won't fix it.

Also before updating setting up was fine but the underwater camera wasn't working, is there an additional process needed beyond adding the component or am I missing third party plugins? What does scion do for this?

48. zuzzu

zuzzu

It's a mistake on my side, apologies. If you are on Unity 5.2 or earlier, you will need to replace one file. I will send it to you via PM in a second.

49. nubdev

nubdev

Thanks for the speedy response and support, can't recommend this asset enough. Will write up a proper review in the morning, thanks again.

-Just tried the fix, has removed the errors and I can't see any problems, cheers.

50. zuzzu

zuzzu

Thanks a lot! Regarding underwater camera issue - chances are high that whatever it was, is fixed now ;) Give it a try and please let me know, if you will still encounter any issues.