Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

PlayWay Water - high quality water system

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by zuzzu, Oct 9, 2015.

1. D.T

D.T

OK,Thank! Hope the mobile support is coming soon~

2. Metal_Lord

Metal_Lord

Hi, Zuzu, liked your Asset and I bought it, thank you for the excellent work!
    PS: I can not wait implementing coastline :)

3. zuzzu

zuzzu

Thanks! :)

It won't take long. Wave shoaling is already done, but I still need to do some work on physics, foam, spray.

4. Redrag

Redrag

I'm thinking of buying this (it looks great!) but am a bit put off about your comment about directional waves in the ocean. I don't think that is unreasonable to expect waves to move in a directional way. Can you confirm your system can do this?

5. zuzzu

zuzzu

Thanks. You can set waves directionality on water profiles:

upload_2016-1-12_18-40-24.png

hopeful likes this.
  6. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Features:
    Turboscalpeur grasses and ferns.
    Realistic grasses from asset store.
    Bamboo and 1 grass from big Asian Environment pack.
    Gaia Random terrain session i made(new feature)
    Tengoku Dynamic Sky
    Playway Water system
    Scoin for post processing,
    2 speed trees included with Gaia,
    Motion Controller, and Adv. Camera.

As promised, here's some combat with G.A.C. and Motion Controller, and Adv Cam!!!;):

If I hadn't of got that headshot he woulda whooped me(he has 2500hp), I think 5 bodygaurds is too many.lol

Keep in mind I've only set up a 3 hit combo for this weapon, I'm working on some other things before I add the running, jumping, and charge attacks.

AdamGoodrich and bartm4n like this.
  7. pLsntcom

pLsntcom

Hi,

I'm a beginner Unity user using it for a dive simulation, but I'm encountering weird visual bugs with the water using Oculus Rift DK2.

1: The 1st bug only appear when VR is "power on", which makes me think they have something to do with the way Unity 5.3.1 updates camera coordinates based on HMD position and attitude. It looks like underwater coloring effect does not follow surface of the water but the camera:

2: 2nd bug is a disappearance of underwater surface when the camera X angle is about 307 for VR (i.e. 53 degrees up), or 30 degrees for no VR (feels like 50% of FOV, since for VR that is 106deg, and no vr is 60). Disappearance is only within 1 degree of rotation. Below are 3 screenshots from the same position wathing upwards (with VR):

Other than these 2 bugs the Playway Water is absolutely brilliant!

8. zuzzu

zuzzu

Hi, I think I've fixed these :) I will send you the most recent version via PM.

hopeful likes this.
  9. UltraTM

UltraTM

Sorry was away cause of my work.
    Would also love to get a newer version then on the asset store :)
    Cause of wanting to make 2 water resources.
    A lake and the sea around the island.

kurotatsu likes this.
  10. pLsntcom

pLsntcom

Works like a charm now :)

Thanks for really fast response!

11. OSC

OSC

Hi, i've got this problem when a Build for Pc.
    I have'nt got any problem in the editor
    I use unity 5.3.1f1
    Anyone can give me a solution?

Problem.jpg

12. mfCleRIC

mfCleRIC

Hello, zuzzu!
    We are planning to create a game with a lot of water on iPad Air or any other iPad.
    Does this asset work on iOS?
    What a performance your water will be on those devices? And what options do I need to use for that?

13. Fraconte

Fraconte

Perhaps you can try to rebuild shaders: select the Water gameObject and look for the water script options.

14. zuzzu

zuzzu

Hey, that's Unity 5.3 compatibility issue. It's fixed. Please send me your Invoice No to get the latest version.

I will work on full mobile platforms support in February. I don't recommend buying it for that purpose before.

Performance should be good after that. I remember running it on ancient Android tablet at 30 fps (on very low settings). Please note that this was before I've concentrated on desktops. I will have to track back recent features and make them work with mobile platforms.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    Recon03 likes this.
  15. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I believe you have to save on the empty you put the water script on for each level that has it and this will fix the issue.

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Subscribing to watch development.

17. Recon03

Recon03

How is mobile coming along.? and when is your nexted update .

18. zuzzu

zuzzu

Hi, I'll get to it after shorelines will be out.

kurotatsu, Rycons and UltraTM like this.
  19. UltraTM

UltraTM

Shorelines sounds very good :D

20. futurewavecs

futurewavecs

One of the Dragon Age Inquisition areas has the most impressive Shoreline I've seen in a game to date. You asked for examples. For the price do you think this is something your system will be able to pull off?

The first time I visited that area I spent quite a bit of time staring at that water and going to it's edge where it would spray up. A lot of people do shorelines, but I've never seen anyone else do one like that.

21. zuzzu

zuzzu

Yeah, I've been researching water on DAI storm coast too ;) I've determined how this may work and I'm trying to accomplish such result. My other references are Anno 2070 and real-life videos I've made earlier this month.

I don't want to give false hopes so I can't tell how my shores may match DAI, but current results are very promising.

It may still take me a few weeks to complete. I will release shores along with a few other notable features requested in this thread as they have turned out to be dependent on each other in my implementation.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  22. DivergenceOnline

DivergenceOnline

Doesn't work.

Purple plane, that's all.

Shader error in 'PlayWay Water/Utility/Info': failed to open source file: 'Mapper - Code.cginc' at line 57 (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with _FFT_WAVES

Shader error in 'PlayWay Water/Depth/Water Depth': failed to open source file: 'Depth - Code.cginc' at line 33 (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with _FFT_WAVE

Shader error in 'PlayWay Water/Standard': failed to open source file: 'WaterTessellation.cginc' at line 173 (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with DIRECTIONAL SHADOWS_OFF LIGHTMAP_OFF DIRLIGHTMAP_OFF DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_OFF _ALPHABLEND_ON _NORMALMAP _QUADS _VOLUMETRIC_LIGHTING _INCLUDE_SLOPE_VARIANCE _FFT_WAVES _WATER_REFRACTION _WATER_FOAM_WS _CUBEMAP_REFLECTIONS _PLANAR_REFLECTIONS

Additionally a fresh install into a new project results in nothing but insane amounts of random polygons across the screen in your demo scenes, just like the original webplayer used to do.

How do you fix it.

Unity 5.2.2 (and i'm not going to 5.3)
    Radeon R9 380

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  23. zuzzu

zuzzu

I've sent you a fix, sorry about this.

24. DivergenceOnline

DivergenceOnline

Thanks for the files. That fixed the purple, but what are these empty spaces at the corner of the view?

My second concern is that the water does not appear to function with Time of Day Scattering. The page specifically said "all image effects" and I even saw "I recommend ToD" on the forum pages.

Thanks. Screenshot 2016-01-24 13.29.13.png

25. zuzzu

zuzzu

It's fixed in the second build I've sent you (the one I've made today).

To make ToD scattering work, you need to remove [ImageEffectOpaque] line from it.

26. duplexius

duplexius

I'm considering to buy this, but I have a question first.
    How many new shader keywords do you define? I'm currently already very close to the limit of 128.

27. zuzzu

zuzzu

In 1.1 there are 6 keywords. If you will hit the limit I can let you know how to remove 2 - 3 that you don't need.

28. Yan-Pepin

Yan-Pepin

I bought PlayWay Water and I have great results for endless planes, but I can't find a way to make it work on a custom mesh. I create a plane inside 3DSMax and I export it into Unity as an FBX (specifying that the Y axis is up in the export settings), but when I assign the mesh of the plane to the custom mesh field in the water object, it just creates weird deformations on the object. Could you please send me an example scene with a custom mesh plane used as a water body so I can understand how it can work? Thanks!

29. DivergenceOnline

DivergenceOnline

Starting to get it to look good but there's this issue of "distant sparkly lines" i can't figure out. Screenshot 2016-01-27 02.44.16.png

30. zuzzu

zuzzu

You may try to flatten planar reflections and/or lower the detail fade distance in your water profile.

"Use cubemap reflections" setting in main water component may also help. Just be sure to have some valid reflection probes around though. Reflection probes are used as a fallback for planar reflections in such cases.

Finally, there is also "high quality" setting on planar reflections component that may be of use here too.

31. patch24

patch24

Can you please submit the latest version as it is to the asset store? Emailing you for updated packages is a bit silly. I have no idea if the last version you sent out is the latest or not (v1.1RC8). I'm suspecting not based on some artifacts I'm seeing. It would be better to have a version that works available through the asset store rather than waiting for versions with new features.

32. zuzzu

zuzzu

I'm sorry, I still get occasional reports that shader builder that I've introduced in RC7/8 still doesn't always include all necessary shaders in builds. I'm going to upload an update to the store as soon as this will be finally sorted out (possibly this weekend or next week).

What artifacts do you mean?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  33. N3V-Developer

N3V-Developer

I read something about different water areas with different intensity, to have none mega waves inside of a port scenery, or similar. Is there anything in preparation on this feature?

34. zuzzu

zuzzu

Yup, this works fine on my local development version. I will release it along with other shore features.

Quatum1000 likes this.
  35. Hodgson_SDAS

Hodgson_SDAS

Do you have a standalone demo?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  36. zuzzu

zuzzu

Currently only web player.

I've promised to submit an update to the store this weekend / next week. I will upload win/mac builds along with it.

Hodgson_SDAS likes this.
  37. kebrus

kebrus

I'm subscribing to this thread to check for development progress.

Question: I can't see any shadows cast to the ocean, they exist?

38. zuzzu

zuzzu

I have this working on my local dev version also ;) This is very tricky to do in case of water (if you don't want to render shadowmaps twice), but I think it is ready to be released now.

http://i.imgur.com/dzTQ9HR.gifv

In previous releases it worked for opaque water only (blend edges off, refraction off).

39. Ludo97

Ludo97

Hello , I have put my island on the ocean but the problem how to put its ocean I hear only beach but not in the middle of the island ?

40. UltraTM

UltraTM

for me its good when you hear the water only when near the beach instead of an complete world.
    Dont understand the problem hehe?

41. John-G

John-G

Think that's what ludo is asking, how to set it so sound of beach is not heard in the middle of the island.

42. DivergenceOnline

DivergenceOnline

SECTR Audio. That's what we use and it's great for that purpose.

John-G likes this.
  43. DivergenceOnline

DivergenceOnline

I'm noticing that the waves generator wants a single terrain, but our world is 25 tiled terrains. How do i utilize it with tiled terrains?

Hodgson_SDAS likes this.
  44. zuzzu

zuzzu

I've packaged this by mistake in a recent release. It's WIP.

45. DivergenceOnline

DivergenceOnline

I don't understand what you mean. Could you rephrase?

46. zuzzu

zuzzu

Wave generator is work in progress.

It's better to not use it at the moment.

47. Recon03

Recon03

Looking forward to when you release support for mobile, any idea for XB1?? Thanks! Soon as mobile is ready I will pick this up!

48. amronellc

amronellc

A little problem I am having:

When I add Underwater IME to the camera, It's black, blurry and has no alpha on the top, Under the wave is clear and unaffected. What am I doing wrong? I am on a Mac with Unity 5.3. I have the build from the Asset Store.

Attached Files:

49. amronellc

amronellc

See the Underwater IME FX are reverse in my demo.

Attached Files:

50. zuzzu

zuzzu

I will probably release ship wakes along with shorelines. Most related work is done:

http://i.imgur.com/gjI85mI.gifv

Other features that you may expect to get are custom wave and spray emitters. Waves created by rigid bodies in general (not just ship wakes) will possibly be there too.

There is also a minor feature that makes spray transform into regular surface foam after it lands on water from now on. Emitted spray didn't look right otherwise.

The newest release candidate is still RC12.

XB1 is supported already in recent releases. I will get serious with mobile platforms support after I will deal with shorelines, wakes etc. Hopefully soon.

hopeful and Andrew-Farr like this.